• 4/5

33 19.19%
  • 5/5

16 9.30%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rate And Review: Sunday Cruddy Sunday

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

People nowadays like to champion how lively the Scully era is, but I thought this episode was too boring to really finish on this rewatch. It didn't help that a lot of the gags failed ("but there's TWO!", "what bathroom?","everybody likes dune buggies"). I don't know, I guess I just expected it to be funnier and livelier.

There wasn't much substance in this episode. There was potential, but everything felt flat and boring. Also the absurd jokes like the makeup remover and the guards spawning out of thin air really felt way too wacky to be in a Simpsons episode. The only good part was the Vincent Price bit. There really wasn't anything terrible though, a few good bits here and there. 2/5

Junior Camper

I think this episode almost broke me down. I really sat there and wondered what I just saw. Four minutes in and I honestly could not figure out what was happening or what anyone was doing.

The really prophetic thing about all of this is that on the same night this episode aired, we were given the series premiere of Family Guy. At least for the next couple of years, there was a show on Fox that picked up right where The Simpsons left off and had the same amount of wit, interesting characters, and wall-to-wall hilarious moments that the Yellow Show used to have. Meanwhile, while one show could only go up, this one could only go down.

So yeah, this episode definitely represented a turning point. The point where The Simpsons was never going to return to what it used to be and wanted nothing more than to be a wacky little cartoon with no substance. Pointless guest appearances, an uninteresting subplot, characters who are literally just props, weird dialogue ("I can't believe we're in the winning team's locker room!"). The only scene that felt like good old Simpsons was the cup thing, mostly because of how ridiculous it was. Also, Moe getting upset because they still were not watching the game. But it really says a lot when you bring John Madden and Pat Summerall on your show just to talk about how much it sucked. If not for "Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble," this would be the worst of season ten so far. I honestly do not want to watch any more episodes from this season but I have to keep at it. All I know is, this is the episode where The Simpsons stopped being The Simpsons. I doubt it was a coincidence on the same night as "Death Has a Shadow."

Mike Scully also said that this episode was written with absolutely no thought given to plot or structure. I believe him one hundred percent, but what I do not believe is how you had three other writers working on this piece of garbage.

2/5 boring. The worse episode of the season 10, for my

Junior Camper

2/5 Very odd, mostly unfunny episode that feels more like Family guy than the Simpsons.

The worst episode until that point in the series, I didn't remember it being this bad. I actually quite liked the beginning but it all turns to shit once Wally comes in, and the third act is just pure garbage. Not a single redeeming quality, all the jokes fall flat, the guest stars are useless and the "plots" are simply incredibly boring. 1/5.

oooo a Super Bowl episode, one of the better ones, but have they ever used that auto thing since this episode aired, oh wait I forgot this aired BEFORE the superbowl, because FOX decided that they'd rather have some show called Family Guy have the post superbowl slot
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

The only part I liked was Homer waiting in that dingy looking service station with Spanish Flea playing in the background, while he was having his car fixed. The rest was awful. Especially that stupid gag with all the men, including Flanders for some reason, having their stomachs bulge out.

Thread Information