View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

0 0%
  • 4/5

10 40.00%
  • 3/5

10 40.00%
  • 2/5

4 16.00%
  • 1/5

1 4.00%

Thread: Rate & Review: American Dad, "Con Heir"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

barts friend

Rate & Review: American Dad, "Con Heir"

4/5 better each week

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

Sweet Jebus, did I do some heavy editing to the thread title and poll...

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I can't make heads or tails of this show. It started off absolutely horribly, then I gave it a second chance with A Smith in the Hand and was pleasantly surprised (though not overly impressed). With Con Heir (clever title, at least), it seems we're back to square one with American Dad.

Stan's back to his usual abusive, annoying self again. The whole affair gag, shocking his wife, having a guy pose as his father for 30 years, and beating an old man senseless paint the picture of a guy who's just not likeable week after week. When his over-the-top antics are used in moderation (like A Smith in the Hand), they can be fairly funny, but in episodes like these and the first few, it just grates. Steve Smith is back to his annoying super-horny persona that always manages to irritate, and seeing him make out with an 80-year-old lady was cringeworthy. I was hoping they'd take the subplot and attempt to do something emotional with it (which would be a nice risk for the show), but nah. They just did yet another "Steve has girl problems" subplot. This would be forgivable if it was funny, but it was pretty flat the whole way through.

I do have to say that the story was fairly original, and there were a few good gags. I liked the recurring telephone/"priceless" bit and Roger's weird obsession with Jack. But for every good gag, there were five that flopped, and one or two in the episode really bombed.

The animation is looking very stilted as well. The way the characters "act" just isn't natural (Stan's weird "ten-hut" stance while standing around the house just rubs me the wrong way). Facial expressions seem off and sometimes limited as well. There are way too many blank, wide-eyed stares, and weird shifts in expression (for instance, observe Stan in the firing range with his dad--for a split-second he says something like "You will!?" with an excited look in his face, then goes right back to a half-bored expression). It doesn't mesh right.

Anyway, I say this was weak-sauce. It wasn't on the level of baditude of the first couple episodes, but it was still very mediocre. I think this show may be getting overrated; it's improved for sure, but it's still rather sub-par. I did miss last week's show, though, so I could still be wrong.

2/5 D+/C-
    My Nintendo webcomic,

I cant wait for this show to get cancled. Just its being around brings down the other shows. Famguy would shine alittle brighter without this lamp shade covering it.

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

Heh, loved Roger's Snake Plissken line. Poor, old security guard getting the shit beaten out of him, I was sadistically laughing at that...

Steve making out with the old woman was...disturbing. Good episode, otherwise. 3.5/5

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod
    I cant wait for this show to get cancled. Just its being around brings down the other shows. Famguy would shine alittle brighter without this lamp shade covering it.
    Yeah, THAT makes sense, I guess you haven't noticed how shitty Family Guy has been lately.

I didn't like this episode as much as the last two, like said above, it felt like a jump back to the first few episodes, but wasnt nearly as bad as those other than Steve's abusive antics.

3.5/5

Back but still forgotten

Liked this one.

4/5.
    Oh....you better believe thats a paddlin

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: extra

Nothin' wrong with that!

There was a new episode last night? I figured that they were all repeats.

God dammit.

Best episode of the series. I didn't even mind that there was no new Famil Guy this week.

5/5

All of The General's signatures are hosted by ImageShack

3/5 Didn't really like this episode

Another great episode. 4/5

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: extra

spleef

A slight dip in quality but still pretty good. Also having Stan's dad sound exactly the same as Spottswoode from Team America was a bit hard to get used to at first.

This was a poor episode, I didn't laugh that much and the plot was poor. D

Not as good as some recent episodes, but it was still pretty good. I can't believe how attached I've grown to this show.

3/5

personality goes a long way Toli's Avatar

4/5 Great episode. Rodger got a bit annoying this episode. Jack Smith was Spotswood from Team America right?

"SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker".

Eh, not so swell.

One strange pattern we get in an animated sitcom is that at least one of the central character's parents is living some sort of secret life or something. Here, Stan's REAL dad is some sort of undercover Commie.

The sub-plot, well...you MIGHT enjoy it if you believe in senior citizens having romantic relationships with minors. Freaky stuff.

Some funny parts, especially from Roger. But nothing special.

3/5

Thread Information