• 2/5

56 21.62%
  • 1/5

28 10.81%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Homer's Odyssey

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

Very dull and forgettable episode. Wasn't funny, but it wasn't horrible. 2/5.

Good episode but it could have been much better. Although it was a decent plot, there should have been more jokes and the ones used could have been funnier. The emotion in this episode is genuine but it didn't find the right balance for me i.e Homer's suicidal contemplation/attempt was too extreme and certainly out of character, however in defence this was the second episode of The Simpsons ever aired so that's not too suprising. The final few minutes where he decides to live his life to the full is also far fetched but still enjoyable to view and the end where he decides to go back to his safety job both in order to satisfy his masses, and give his family proper financial security, and at the end he even enjoys being crowd carried by the proletariat of Springfield! It's all about opinions but I wonder how many fellow posters that voted 1/5 genuinely believe it's worth that and would also rate that if this calibre of episode had been released in the past five years.

3/5, 6/10 C+

Wow, this episode is so old!!!! Mr Smithers is black! I didn't really get the storyline and I thought it was pretty depressing when Homer tried to commit suicide. Also, there weren't many laughs. The only funny part for me was the 'sign ahead' gag. But it was a nice ending. 3/5

Blog Entries

Mr.Smithers was black
    -6/5 for blacknes.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I don't really understand this episode. I'm not sure why Homer wants to kill himself, or why anything that happens after that happens. The plot seems like it could be from Season 10 or after because of how nonsensical it is. And the plot isn't even interesting. 3/10

i liked it, even though the whole Homer committing suicide is kinda weird, but he tried it again in a stupider way on one of the most beloved post-classic episodes "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind", so relax people
    Having such a vast vocabulary really embiggens my pride

4>3>2>6>7>5>8>9>1>10>12>11>14>15>16>13> the rest I don't know how to organize but they share the quality of not being as good as S13 to me

It's a pretty dark and depressing episode. No it's not funny but I don't think that it was supposed to be; I think that it meant to show the stress and pressure Homer had to feel like he's a good Dad and supporter of the family and how he felt like he failed miserably. I think that they wanted a episode that pushed the envelope sort of like Homer's enemy in a future season. I think that it's too dark for a Simpson episode so most watchers feel uncomfortable when watching it.

3/5
    Favorite by season
    1.Krusty Gets Busted 2. Bart Gets An F 3. Lisa's Pony 4. Duffless 5. Homer's Barbershop Quartet 6. And Maggie Makes Three 7. The Curse Of The Flying Hellfish 8. Homer’s Enemy 9. Hurricane Neddy 10. Homer Simpson VS New York 11. Saddlesore Galactica 12. HOMR 13. Tales From the Public Domain.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I must say this one was not as bad as i remember. Infact i rather liked it this time around. Homer might have been out of caracter in this episode. But they had not fully developed his caracter here, so he is obviously not season 4 Homer. Also, he is still much much less annoying than he became in season 10 and up. Also, he had a good reason to be depressed, as he had lost his job which i believe is a much more valid reason than being not famous anymore like in a certain season 11 episode. Even the boulder scene was not that terrible, because again he had a reason other than something like not being famous anymore. Plus there are also some funny stuff, like the smiling joe fisson video. The song Bart sings at the bus. Barts comment after Ednas warning in the beginning. Homer searching jobs. Marge as a waitress are all stuff i really liked this time around. So this episode is not that boring at all. And its certainly not the worst of the season. (Thats Call Of The Simpsons) Grade:B- So not amazing, but not as bad as people make it out to be.
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 07-14-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Pretty decent episode. 3/5

Smithers is black in this one LOL

Junior Camper

Good episode and had its moments I still think its one of the better episodes of season 1. 4/5

Blog Entries

Not that great of an episode. Homer is out of character.

3/5

Blog Entries

This episode hasn't exactly aged well, but I still found some charm to it.Yeah it's not all that funny and the plot has a slow pace but there's still stuff to like. Yeah Homer's actions in this episode contrast a bit with who he would become in the later seasons, but he's still very rootable. I actually like the suicide scene as its nicely built up and also executed well. Maybe it's just me, but I can easily see the Homer of later years could get to the point of depression where he'd contemplate suicide. It's serious but also has some nice gags like the old couple cracking jokes and the boulder Homer finds when he gets to the bridge. Also it shows that the writers had balls even way back then, to show an animated husband and father try to kill himself.

The final act is a little sloppily done but it was the first season so I have to cut it some slack. I also like how this episode shows how Homer got his position as the plant's safety inspector. It would later be retconned unfortunately in episodes like And Maggie Makes Three and Homer Defined where we see flashbacks where Homer has his safety inspector position before the episode occurred but whatever. I still go by this episode's explanation for how Homer got the position. Overall, its probably not an episode I'll go out of my way to see, but I still think its merits out weigh its faults. 3/5
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't get why everyone hates this episode, I thought it was really well done.

Lots of character development and feels.

4.5/5

Blog Entries

The only real problem about this episode is how they set up Homer's attempt to kill himself. That just seemed to happen and the story was a little disjointed afterwards. The only real laughs were on Bart's field trip to the Plant and the boulder that happens to be near the water.

The ending (Homer's speech) still managed to fix the little details in the plot with it's message but the story's structure itself could have been dealt with better. It's a decent episode with some nit-picky issues. 3.5/5.

Somewhere near the bottom of season 1's episodes. Apart from a funny moment or two, the whole first and second act were quite dull, first with the power plant trip and then Homer wanting to kill himself. The third felt better, it even introduced the whole El Barto thing, but overall not really a good episode.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Wow, a joke about a hungover bus driver? How edgy that must have been in 1990.

Heh, I liked the inmates waving at the kids from the prison.

Bart's kid behavior in this first act is just great - the highlights being him hiding his arm, and standing up in the middle of the film.

The endless warning signs on the opening of the plant is great as well, especially when elementary school kids are involved.

ACT TWO:

I like the montage of the doors slamming in Homer's face, especially the end when Bart opens and shuts the door in Homer's face.

"You'll get that punk some day, Moe." Woah, Homer actually went Moe to harm his son? Or is the joke supposed to be that even Homer is unaware that Bart keeps crank calling Moe? That part always confused me.

I like Moe bluntly telling Homer that he doesn't think he'll be able to pay him back, then his reassurance that him and Homer are still friends.

So, the Simpsons have cable in this episode...

The suicide attempt was a bit underdeveloped, but it didn't bother me as much as most people.

ACT THREE:

"Dumb things I gotta do today." Great name for a stationery!

"Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed councilmen, boys and girls, retired people with nothing better to do."

The "safety crusader" idea is a little disjointed, but I did like the "Enough already, Homer Simpson!" newspaper headline.

"Unlike most of you, I am not a nut..."

I must say - I like Harry Shearer as Burns way better than Christopher Collins.

"This guy's got the cleanest shirt I've ever seen!"

OVERALL:

A pretty weak episode for the classic era, but it's got plenty of good humor to keep me watching. By classic era standards, it would get a 3/5 (C+).

Had this aired today, however, I would give it a much higher grade and consider it one of the best episodes of the last few years.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    ACT ONE:"You'll get that punk some day, Moe." Woah, Homer actually went Moe to harm his son? Or is the joke supposed to be that even Homer is unaware that Bart keeps crank calling Moe? That part always confused me.
    No, Homer didn't know it's Bart making the prank calls. (I'm not sure if there's been an episode somewhere down the line where Homer found it out, I don't recall any at least.)

5/10 After two good episodes to open the series, this one seems quite forgettable to me. It does give us our first look at Mr. Burns though. There was not much humor nor was the storyline real strong or moving.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Squirrel View Post
    It clearly doesn't stand the test of time, what with Smithers being black
    That was just a coloring mistake. It doesn't happen in any more episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Squirrel View Post
    Burns being voiced by Chris "Cobra Commander" Latta, instead of Harry
    What the fuck???? I couldn't tell the difference!
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-05-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These negative reviews make me sick. This is one of my favorites from season 1! Homer trying to find confidence in himself was interesting, the emotional impact was big and it had several very funny moments, despite not being all-comedy. Fuck, is this episode underrated! 5/5
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-05-2019 at 01:35 PM.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

This is an episode that I really don't understand the hate for. It's a classic episode in every way. Some people say that Homer contemplating suicide was out of character, but I don't think it's fair to say that because this is the third episode of the show and the writers were still experimenting with the character. I thought it added depth to the character. It also has a lot of funny moments like the school bus scene at the beginning and it has the first prank call gag of the show. I don't think it's the worst episode of season 1 like most fans say. I think The Call of the Simpsons is much more deserving of the worst episode of the season title. (It's not bad, just OK.) Overall it's a great episode that I have no problems with. 10/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Kind of average season 1 episode.

3/5

I didn't really like this episode. It was OK, until it turned to Homer trying to commit suicide. But, the resolution was put together well. 70/100
    "It's a ring toss game." –Homer Simpson

Support me in helping to review every single Simpsons episode so far! (Best in blue and worst in red)

Season 1
    Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire: 75/100
    Bart the Genius: 93/100
    Homer's Odyssey: 70/100
    There's No Disgrace Like Home: 89/100
    Bart the General: 88/100
    Moaning Lisa: 83/100
    Call of the Simpsons: 81/100

3/5
    Pretty average. It's already been discussed here how out of character it came to be of Homer attempting to commit suicide, but i still think it's passable. Nothing special though. Plus it's really something that THIS was this first Homer-plot episode of the series.

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah I'm with the "not really getting the hate" party. Maybe the suicide thing was a bit heavy material but honestly, pretty much all the flash forward episodes I found more depressing to some extent.

Granted I'm probably just going easy because really, this was one of the first episodes, those are bound to be awkward and honestly, I never found season 1 as a whole all that memorable anyway.

Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with Homer atempting suicide, but the plot after that is a bit weak. This episode is kind of middle of the road, meaning it's not bad, but not extraordinary either. 3/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay, I guess I did find one issue, mostly that the first part (Bart getting tormented on a field trip) and the latter (Homer's attempts to get another job) barely had much to do with one another, so characters like Mrs Krabappel and such just kinda drop out of relevance partway through when they were important before.

Junior Camper

Good episode, but the emotion probably would've been a bit better and less awkward had they made this ep in seasons 3-8.

Good, then it takes a deep turn when Homer kills himself, then gets funny when he makes all the signs. Laid the foundation for Homer being a safety inspector in 7G. Still amazes me that Smithers once had blue hair and was black. 3/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

An underrated and often unjustly maligned episode. Yes the animation is risible, Smithers is black, and it can be somewhat difficult to sit through, but there's still a lot here that deserves merit. The writing is very solid. All of the characters are well-defined, and the humour is entirely derived from them and their interactions, with lots of subtlety and little character moments. Sure none of it's laugh-out-loud funny anymore, but it works in a relaxed and unassuming sort of way, feeling warm and charming more than guffaw-inducing, which is no bad thing. The dialogue is sharp, and this is accentuated by the acting. Plus, there are some genuinely inspired gags and moments that could've slotted into a season 4 script; Smilin' Joe Fission and the nuclear film, for instance.

Of course, the most infamous element is the suicide scene, but even that is handled delicately, and its fatuous to criticise an episode for conflicting with character traits that were established later on. Though it isn't something I'd often choose to watch, it can more than hold its own in the overall cannon of the series, despite its obvious flaws and roughness. B-

Thread Information