56 21.62%
  • 1/5

28 10.81%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Homer's Odyssey

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayleno View Post
    I gotta say the lot of you are nuts. You're the same people rating the dreadful new episodes as 4/5 all the time, and you rate this 1/5 and 2/5?

WOW.

Anyway, 4.5/5
    i know this was posted over a year ago, but i feel i have to make a comment. it kinda sounds like you're saying here that just because this episode is so old, that somehow makes it 'good' (the part about 'dreadful new episodes'). personally i think this episode deserves a 2/5 or so. i haven't seen it in a while but i remember it being pretty bad

Banned

also, noone honestly rates new episodes by the same criteria as the old episodes. people that say they do are liars. dirty liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Chan View Post
    also, noone honestly rates new episodes by the same criteria as the old episodes. people that say they do are liars. dirty liars.
    i do that. i rate everything by the same criteria.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Chan View Post
    Oh, come on. Trying to find populational unanimity in such a personal thing like the way one rates the episodes of a TV-show is laughable.

Blog Entries

Besides, who are we to speculate on others' intent?

Quite a dull episode, and as mentioned many times before, the whole Homer committing suicide is a bit depressing. Although the characters were not as developed and loved as they are now.

Grade: 6/10

Banned

4/5 superb

Blog Entries

Edit : Woops.
    Last edited by Blobulle; 10-30-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Already posted in this thread.

number one burpo fan Hommer for the Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode stuck out in Season One, because it wasn't the best. I really didn't like the part where Homer attempted suicide, because it didn't seem like something that he would do, and the entire scene was humorless. It's just creepy.

Blog Entries

He must be taking his boulder out for a walk! 2.5/5
    Last edited by Sam; 11-05-2011 at 02:03 PM.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

weird. even if it is season 1 Homer campaigning for safety feels very odd. Starts off well with the first act but goes down hill with the surprisingly extreme suicide scene and the boredom of Homer's safety antics. Lacks the emotional resonance of the best S1 episodes but has some amusing moments and an alright first act. C (3/5)

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

- It's safe to ssey, this episode isn't all that -

Okay, that pun was terrible. 'Homer's Odyssey' is one of those episodes from the classic era that isn't liked a lot. I had heard a lot of bad things about it when I sat down and watched it today, so wasn't entirely positive. However, until today, I hadn't seen it in years, so it would have been wrong to go in based on others views. So, was it as bad as others made it appear?

Well, it wasn't that great - it's probably one of the lesser classics. Yet I'd be making myself hate it, if I gave it a 1/5. The episode actually starts off quite well. There are a number of funny moments, and on a personal level, I can relate with Wendell 'cos I was that kid, always throwing up on bus/coach journeys. However, the episode quickly fell apart after Homer's abrupt firing. The next part felt kind of dull, but I'm not going to describe it much, because I can't really remember what happened (and I just watched it today - either I'm going senile, or the episode gets quite forgettable). Homer was likeable in this part, I guess, so that was okay. Then comes the part of this episode that everyone hates. Homer tries to kill himself. I'm going to agree with the majority here and say, yeah, that was bad. Firstly, suicide should never be done in the show. It didn't work in 'Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder' (too zany for something serious like suicide), it didn't work in 'Million Dollar Abie' (just felt forced, and out of place), and it didn't work here. It mainly didn't work here because it just felt overly dark, and strange to do, considering this was only the third episode of the show. Also, Homer's decision to commit suicide didn't feel right. In 'I Married Marge', when he was unable to provide for the family, he left Marge and worked in a minimum wage job to help her. He didn't resort to suicide. I know we are shown Homer being rejected from a number of jobs in this episode, but it's difficult to believe that he couldn't get even the most meagre job. I'm sort of nitpicking here, but I just didn't like how his depression was handled here. So after moping around, attempting suicide, then being found by his family (with a quite clunky emotional scene), Homer decides to campaign for safety. I don't know, but his sudden epiphany felt really strange, and quite forced. Homer's campaign for the last 5 minutes or so, was rather dull. Then Homer gets a new job at the plant, and there we go. Episode finished.

I realise by the sound of my review, it sounds like I hated 'Homer's Odyssey', but I didn't really. It's certaintly one of the lesser classics, and once I watch the rest of Season 1, it may go further down in my opinion. However, this episode didn't really feel all that awful. The suicide bit was stupid, some bits were quite dull - and I'd also like to add that the animation was poor in numerous parts (moreso than other episodes around this time - the mouths were weird, crowd scenes were shoddy, and some of the backgrounds weren't great). Still, I think this episode may be good enough to get a 3/5. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't.

+ Homer was likeable, I guess
    + Started off strongly

- Suicide is a Simpsons no-no
    - The episode was boring in parts
    - The animation was dodgy

3/5
    6.25/10
    Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toomanygrandmas View Post
    - The animation was dodgy
    C'mon, that doesn't count.

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't really point it out on other episodes in Season 1, and it's understandable that the animation wouldn't be at its best, but the animation in this one stuck out - possibly due to the number of crowd scenes.

Banned

5/5

Season 1 at its weakest. The story is very emotional, but Homer wanting to kill himself felt heavy-handed. Other than giving Homer his series long occupation as Nuclear Safety Inspector, this episode doesn't add much to the show.

Highlights include Bart singing 'John Henry was a Steel Drivin' Man', nuclear education video, Homer's line "Beer, there's a temporary solution", Bart's prank phone call(I.P. Freely), the composite sketch of El Barto and Mr.Burn's line "You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best testing indicates".
    Last edited by hutz; 06-06-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you were actually old enough to see this in it's original viewing you wouldn't give it less than 3/5.

I think Homers suicide attempt was totally in character and would lay the ground work for his selfishness for the next 25 seasons, I mean what one thing has Homer ever done that was more selfish and arrogant than trying to kill himself?

Sucide is the ultimate form of selfishness, so please don't post same lame example like Homer locking Bart in a bunny cage was worse, b/c it is simply not.

By far Homer trying to kill himself was the height of 'Jerk-Ass Homer' or whatever you guys call him in later seasons, and this was season one.

Banned

'Sucide is the ultimate form of selfishness'

Ignorant statement.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I actually meant to write Homer's suicide is the ultimate form of selfishness.

I not going to debate anyone on mere suicide alone, this is not the place for that, and anyway is a case by case basis I suspose.

Another classic. This one is jokes-light even by season 1 standards. There are very funny moments, though, like Homer carrying the boulder to the bridge to kill himself only to find another boulder there when he arrives, and the "killing myself would be the last thing I'd do" line. However, the story and character work is very good. The characters, Homer in this case, are so "human-like" in their feelings and reactions... this grounded style is a trademark of season 1, and I love it. I liked the plot device of having Homer become a safety advocate. It's funny because it's true: there are people like that. The ending, with Homer's negotiations with Mr. Burns, is memorable.

Grade: A-
    Last edited by db105; 04-19-2012 at 04:03 PM.

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome third act is all I can say really. The second act was horrid, while the first was decent. And it originates as the first time we see Homer becoming SNPP safety inspector

7.4/10 or 3.7/5 rounded to a 4
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

I certainly won't begrudge anyone liking this episode, but I just am not excited by this one. Sorry. 5.5/10

Blog Entries

Pretty bad episode FOR season 1 standards. Sure the animation was terrible and Homer trying to kill himself was stupid and out-of-character, but this was the THIRD episode for the entire series and the animation was made by Klasky Csupo and this was before they animated Rugrats. I think if they did this episode in season 2 or 3 it will be better but sadly, it was made in season 1 so unless they do remakes, we'll never see how good this episode could be. Rating: 3/5 I like Mr. Burns' voice in this episode he actually sound intimidating instead of a old British man.

Also, BLACK SMITHERS!!

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfan55501 View Post
    Also, BLACK SMITHERS!!
    Oh the days when Burns still allowed him to tan.

Junior Camper

I give it a 3/5. For me, it was an average episode.

I didn't think this episode was the worst of Season 1, though. My least favorite was actually "The Crepes of Wrath".

Banned
    Blog Entries

Worst episode ever. 1/5

Professional Burger Stealer Krusty Burglar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It may be boring and and the animation is, like everything else in Season 1, bad, it was still a classic.

3.7/5.

good episode, and fantastic animation.

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

A lot of fans seem to really dislike this episode, I guess mainly because Homer is very out of character throughout the course of it. Although he still makes a handful of delightfully corny remarks ("Danger comes in many, many forms, from the dinosaurs that tormented our caveman ancestors...," "There's a little Homer Simpson in all of us," "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut," etc.), he's a heck of a lot more sensitive and not quite the absent minded dope he would later evolve into. Dan Castellaneta's performance also isn't quite up to par with the rest of the cast, I guess because the staff hadn't yet developed a clear sense of how they wanted to characterize Homer.

The humor is definitely not as smooth or consistent as in later episodes, but there are a few comical moments, especially the Smilin' Joe Fission video that tries to sugarcoat nuclear energy for young, unwitting audiences. The little twist in which we find out that the man who fires Homer is Sherri and Terri's father is also clever, since the whole first act focuses a lot on the interaction between the twins and Bart.

Like most Season 1 episodes, Homer's Odyssey's appeal is far more concentrated on the story than anything else. Homer may be a little raw, but he still undergoes a major character arc while still appearing fairly innocent and likable throughout. He goes from nearly committing suicide after losing all faith in the future and destroying his son's piggy bank, to passionately crusading for the safety of everyone's life. Even despite his awkwardness, he ultimately comes to realize a moral purpose that transcends even his willingness to get his job back. While he does end up taking the job at the Power Plant, he still cares about maintaining his legacy as a figure of safety.

Even with a few rough edges surrounding production and delivery, this episode beautifully represents how even a lowly simpleton like Homer can make a compassionate stand for everyone else's sake. It's not perfect, but with such a dynamic story, it's by far not the weakest episode of Season 1.

9/10

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

It may not have been the best episode of season one, but it's still a classic.

Thread Information