• 2/5

10 5.52%
  • 1/5

6 3.31%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R&R HOMR

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Another problem with this episode outside of what people have already said (Homer is characterized as a stereotype etc.) is that the message of how Homer is treated when he becomes "intelligent" is already done with much more nuance in characters like Lisa and Sideshow Bob. All the previous ways those characters are treated within the classic era just dampen on the message/satirical edge of this episode.

Junior Camper

I don't think this episode is that good... but I can't completely hate it. It has some good lines like "Now, who's up for a trip to the library tomorrow? Notice I no longer say liberrie or tomorrie." and Lisa's "tai chi/chai tea" line. I think I'll give it a 3/5. Overall, this one's okay.

5/5, although there are many things wrong with it, like Homer becoming a genius for no reason, and his stupidity being from a crayon in his brain, it's very enjoyable, u just don't take it serious. It's entertaining and original, something that the Jean seasons lack by a ling shot.
    Having such a vast vocabulary really embiggens my pride

4>3>2>6>7>5>8>9>1>10>12>11>14>15>16>13> the rest I don't know how to organize but they share the quality of not being as good as S13 to me

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
    5/5, although there are many things wrong with it, like Homer becoming a genius for no reason, and his stupidity being from a crayon in his brain, it's very enjoyable, u just don't take it serious. It's entertaining and original, something that the Jean seasons lack by a ling shot.
    Not take it serious? Why do I have to be like the writers when I watch anything Post season 9?

And not to mention Homer has shown he can be a caring, understanding father to Lisa many times over before a crayon-for-the-sake-of plot convenience was used. The ending where Homer came crashing through the window near the end is one of the stupidest moments in the show's history with the most insulting 'message' Scul...er, Homer delivered: "I can't truly love you now because I'm not smart anymore."

Yeah, that's real touching...psycho.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Recycling to the extreme Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    the most insulting 'message' Scul...er, Homer delivered: "I can't truly love you now because I'm not smart anymore."
    How was that the message? Homer always loved Lisa; he just couldn't connect with her because they didn't have anything in common. He developed a closer bond with her when he was smart, but he never stopped loving her. Where are you getting this from?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie Panther View Post
    How was that the message? Homer always loved Lisa; he just couldn't connect with her because they didn't have anything in common. He developed a closer bond with her when he was smart, but he never stopped loving her. Where are you getting this from?
    The writers are implying/implied that when Homer's stupidity prevents him to be sensitive to Lisa's feelings! To me, the ending with Homer and Lisa embracing after she reads his 'compasionate' letter (written when he was smart) was more frightening than touching.

Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    Not take it serious? Why do I have to be like the writers when I watch anything Post season 9?

And not to mention Homer has shown he can be a caring, understanding father to Lisa many times over before a crayon-for-the-sake-of plot convenience was used. The ending where Homer came crashing through the window near the end is one of the stupidest moments in the show's history with the most insulting 'message' Scul...er, Homer delivered: "I can't truly love you now because I'm not smart anymore."

Yeah, that's real touching...psycho.
    OK, I'll rephrase that, I don't take it serious when I watch it, because honestly, the first time i saw that episode I was just getting into the show(I became a Simpsons fan watching the Scully years), and although I was only getting familiar with the show I hated how Homer was supposedly dumb because of a crayon. All I'm saying is that the episode has many flaws, but it is still enjoyably and has many funny parts.

5/5

Don't like the first act. But top class for the rest of it 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
    You give full points for an episode you think has ''many things wrong with it''?

Quote Originally Posted by Noxonius View Post
    You give full points for an episode you think has ''many things wrong with it''?
    OK, the thing is that I enjoy the Scully episodes in a different level form teh Golden Era, it has many things wrong with it by Golden Era standards but I still find it enjoyable.

This is a great episode and perhaps one of the more iconic stories. However, I am among the "overrated" crowd. I don't think I would put this episode in my Top 20. Nonetheless, I like the parallels with Flowers for Algernon (read this in 8th grade) and the depth of Lisa and Homer's relationship.

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Same as Fraudcast News. I don't care what anyone says, this is another post-season 9 episode that is just as good as the classic era IMO.

Blog Entries

you should care because them are horrible opinions

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

I love this. 5/5
    Second best episode of season 12, obviously loses to Trilogy Of Error.
    Very funny, well written and with a sweet moment at the end. (The latter is rare in season 12).

In my top 20, I think.
    Last edited by Martin_PrinceBR; 07-24-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Very very overrated. The only reason this gets praise is because it's one of very very few Scully episode to attempt emotion. The writers knew this, and that's why they submitted it to the Emmys that year.

Personally, I think it falls flat because of a) the execution (Lisa reads Homer's letter out loud so it's convenient for the viewer to hear; whatever happened to showing instead of telling?) and b) the interaction between Lisa and Smart Homer is quite limited throughout the episode. So the moment just feels rushed and unearned.

Also, it took way too long for the crayon-removal plot to start. Homer doesn't even get to the research center until the 10 minute mark. That's nearly halfway into the episode.

One final complaint, the Hibbert's thumb explanation was so ridiculous and out of left-field. Maybe that's what the writers were going for, but it comes of as a careless write-off.

Still, it's one of the better season 12 episodes. I had no idea it was a take on Flowers for Algernon for years. So if an episode parody stands on its own, that's a huge plus. As for the crayon-in-the-brain contradicting the Simpson Gene, I could take it or leave it. Doesn't matter to me. And I appreciate the "ignorance is bliss" lesson, although that was indicated in the original source material as well.

If I could, I'd give it a 3.5/5. Round that to 4/5 I guess...

Blog Entries

A great episode, not the best of the season through, then again, that's suspected when Trilogy Of Error is in the same season as this.

Still, a solid 5/5
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/Love Is A Many Strangled Thing, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Last Traction Hero, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/The 7 Beer Itch.

SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON SO FAR
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5
    The Road to Cincinnati: ?/5, Sorry Not Sorry: ?/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: ?/5

1/5, horrible idea that goes against what the Simpsons was about.

Thread Information