View Poll Results: Rate and Review!

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Excellent

    91 38.56%
  • 4/5 Good

    65 27.54%
  • 3/5 Quite good.

    45 19.07%
  • 2/5 Poor

    21 8.90%
  • 1/5 Trash

    14 5.93%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 201



Thread: R&R Trash of the Titans



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #91
    formerly Keyser Soze Imperciph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    I ain't sayin' nothin'
    Posts
    3,247


    except for the fact that not everyone finds the stuff Homer did here to be funny and instead finds it irritating, but you after always fail to recognise that.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

  2. #92
    Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,720


    Yeah but most do find it funny. I don't think that The Simpsons should be written to a niche portion of its audience, it should be written to the majority of the audience.

    And it's not like I tried to put down or disprove anyone's opinion based on the fact that I find it funny, so *gives finger gesture*

  3. #93
    formerly Keyser Soze Imperciph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    I ain't sayin' nothin'
    Posts
    3,247


    nay, I feel it's merely appealing to one niche audience instead of appealing to another niche audience

  4. #94
    NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,065


    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar

    How? So far as I can tell, the idea of Homer gaining a position in the public sector is pretty interesting, as was his campaign and his typically Homer-logic-esque way of solving a problem.
    Homer getting another wacky job through playing off Springfield's gullibility and not being able keep it for more than a couple scenes, then quickly returning to normal with nothing developed? It seemed like neither the most interesting nor innovative plot to me.

    You say that so often it's lost all meaning. How is the pacing "noticeably askew"?
    I say it often because it is a problem that unfortunately appears time and time again in the newer seasons. My problem with this one's pacing is that the third act began and ended within about three scenes, if I remember correctly. As I aforesaid, no real conflict was developed within this act; Homer merely realized almost immediately that he couldn't handle the job, attempted a sole scheme to maintain his position (which was also introduced and resolved in about a scene or two), and gave his title back to Patterson.

  5. #95
    . TheForbiddenDonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,787


    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Pffft. He got angry at the garbage men for a pretty damn good reason imo. They ignored him, they didn't do their job, he suffered and so he got pissed off. Not like he over-acted there either. He yelled at them from a distance and called them "trash eating stinkbags", probably because he was pissed off,. Nope. Unless you're being totally outrageous then this instance of Homer's behaviour was understandable.
    Oh noes! My garbage-men missed me carrying my garbage one time! I'll spend the next few weeks being the most proud obnoxious guy ever, only to go yell at the commissioner who did absolutely nothing because my wife wrote an apology letter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Well he's a public servant and the general theory of public servants is that their offices should always be open to the electorate You know, seeing as it's them who the public servants represent and such. And besides, he was pissed off about his garbage. I remember when I got a parking ticket I wrote an angry letter. Homer's even angrier than me, so his marching into the office with an attitude is understandable.
    My opinion is that if a character is angry, his anger should lead to something funny, but if a joke is pretty much 'look how ANGRILY ANNOYING this character is with nothing else!', then it's a stupid joke. And that's what the parrot cage thing was. And he had absolutely no motivation for harming a parrot, and I don't at all recall Homer ever being so much of a jerk that he'd hate a guy for being associated with some guys who did something as minor as miss his trash on a single day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Hey, hey! You've got no evidence of that. Homer was just being witty, and we've seen him be witty before ("I guess you could say he was barking up the wrong bush")
    What? He said that he cut his brakes. If that's not what he did, then what is that supposed to mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Eh?
    When he kicked the woman operating the cameras at the U2 concert. I'd love to see you find a way to explain how anyone could find this remotely funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Yeah no-one seriously watches The Simpsons this way. "OMG is that funny? Would I do it in real life? Hmmm, I think I would, hence LOL"
    Pfft, you have no evidence of that. Whether I find a joke funny or not is determined within the first second I hear the joke and I either laugh or don't laugh. All this stuff I'm rambling about is my after-the-fact justifications for why or why not something is funny.

    And honestly, do you honestly believe that there aren't people who don't laugh at people being obnoxious jerks to people? Homer's not likable because nothing he does is funny and every bit of it is mean. Meanness does not equal funny. Meanness with a punchline or having a humorous context or anything other than just plain meanness can be funny. Shaking a parrot cage, cutting brake lines, and kicking a woman down fit neither of those two criterion.

  6. #96
    Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,720


    Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    Homer getting another wacky job through playing off Springfield's gullibility and not being able keep it for more than a couple scenes, then quickly returning to normal with nothing developed? It seemed like neither the most interesting nor innovative plot to me.
    You conviniently ignore the counter points I raised to your predictable problems regarding Trash of the Titans. And please don't write this episode off as another Homer-gets-a-job episode when it's far more. 2/3's of the episode consists of Homer waging war against the public service, his election campaign and how he goes about solving a big problem once he's got the job. There's no trite bullshit like in Maximum Homerdrive where it's Homer confronting the joys of a particular job for the lulz and leaving it at that (which is ok in moderation, btw). In fact, from memory, the only events in the episode that might be interpreted as fitting into that mold would be when he was signing cheques with a stamp. That's it. No, there's far more food for thought in this episode, and writing it off as Homer-gets-a-job is ignorant and foolish.

    And having nothing developed by the end of the episode with everything returning to normal is a staple of The Simpsons. But even this episode goes beyond that and, from memory, moves the town five miles down the road. If you've got a problem with episodes reverting to the status-quo, then this episode is the episode for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    I say it often because it is a problem that unfortunately appears time and time again in the newer seasons. My problem with this one's pacing is that the third act began and ended within about three scenes, if I remember correctly.
    How is that a bad thing? If there are more things that occur in the first two acts then I don't see how it's a problem to shift the attention to those acts instead of rushing it through.

    Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    As I aforesaid, no real conflict was developed within this act; Homer merely realized almost immediately that he couldn't handle the job, attempted a sole scheme to maintain his position (which was also introduced and resolved in about a scene or two), and gave his title back to Patterson.
    He didn't give the title back to Patterson, and I don't see how Homer wanting to maintain his grip on the public service which he fought against (in an effort to make it better) is not a real conflict. Furthermore, an extra "real" conflict was developed in the town having to fix the mess that Homer created. Might I also add that having the town destroyed as a result of Homer's foray into the world of public service and administration was pretty fantastic. That Homer's job as sanitation commissioner ended with the town hall being flooded with garbage that was popping up from underground like oil was hilarious, and pretty damn insightful.

    I'm also not sure what you want from the episode in regards to how long it takes for things to be resolved. Was there something else that you would have wanted to be examined in relation to Homer being stripped of his title that wasn't already developed, or are you just complaining about the quickness of the resolution for the sake of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    Oh noes! My garbage-men missed me carrying my garbage one time! I'll spend the next few weeks being the most proud obnoxious guy ever, only to go yell at the commissioner who did absolutely nothing because my wife wrote an apology letter!
    Instead of looking at it through the eyes of TheForbiddenDonut, perhaps you should look at it through the eyes of Homer. And while you're doing that, also keep in mind that it's the job of the writers to make things funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    My opinion is that if a character is angry, his anger should lead to something funny, but if a joke is pretty much 'look how ANGRILY ANNOYING this character is with nothing else!', then it's a stupid joke. And that's what the parrot cage thing was. And he had absolutely no motivation for harming a parrot, and I don't at all recall Homer ever being so much of a jerk that he'd hate a guy for being associated with some guys who did something as minor as miss his trash on a single day.
    It's not a fantastic joke, but it's a funny and decent joke nonetheless. I wouldn't go and call it stupid since it did provide teh lulz. Also note the humour in the animation, and the fact that he kept going back to the parrot for no apparent reason (which in itself, is funny).

    Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    What? He said that he cut his brakes. If that's not what he did, then what is that supposed to mean?
    No, he didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    When he kicked the woman operating the cameras at the U2 concert. I'd love to see you find a way to explain how anyone could find this remotely funny.
    Oooh. Haha. Yeah, I remember it now. Well I found it funny because I don't watch The Simpsons with ludicrous expectations and a 500 page rulebook. It's so unexpected, and so vicious too. I find that quite funny.

  7. #97
    . TheForbiddenDonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,787


    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Instead of looking at it through the eyes of TheForbiddenDonut, perhaps you should look at it through the eyes of Homer. And while you're doing that, also keep in mind that it's the job of the writers to make things funny.
    So then the writers weren't doing their job.

    Even if he wasn't out-of-character (which he was), he sure as hell wasn't funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    It's not a fantastic joke, but it's a funny and decent joke nonetheless. I wouldn't go and call it stupid since it did provide teh lulz. Also note the humour in the animation, and the fact that he kept going back to the parrot for no apparent reason (which in itself, is funny).
    Well then you're just an easy guy to please I suppose...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    No, he didn't.
    I'm quite positive something like that happened. Didn't Ray Patterson arrive late at the meeting and one of them made a mention that Homer cut Patterson's brakes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Oooh. Haha. Yeah, I remember it now. Well I found it funny because I don't watch The Simpsons with ludicrous expectations and a 500 page rulebook. It's so unexpected, and so vicious too. I find that quite funny.
    Low blow man. You don't have to have a rule book to have decent standards.

    I don't think Homer kicking people is funny, hence:


    I HAVE LUDICROUS EXPECTATIONS!!!!!!

    ;-/

    If Homer being a total ass is what it takes to 'provide teh lulz' then I could write the funniest episode of the series right now.

  8. #98
    Chillin' wasteland style CMYK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,594


    4/5. A+
    EA's debt list : Father Sean - Shary Bobbins - Chirpy Boy & Bart Junior - Kang Topiary- Blocko Store
    Will not accept barter in the form of 'donut' currency.

  9. #99
    . TheForbiddenDonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,787


    Quote Originally Posted by hail to the chimp
    4/5. A+
    ?

    Doesn't A+ ALWAYS mean perfection? Doesn't 4/5 ALWAYS mean not quite perfection?

  10. #100
    Chillin' wasteland style CMYK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,594


    Yeh forbidden, your right, It was a A+, but not a A++ wich to me is also 5/5 or mabye a 6/5. Yeh, I went there.
    Standard Chimp aproval.

  11. #101
    . TheForbiddenDonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,787


    oh...

  12. #102
    formerly Keyser Soze Imperciph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    I ain't sayin' nothin'
    Posts
    3,247


    but Homer kicking the woman had hilarious voice-acting, timing, animation etc., and therefore it's a fantastic joke....

  13. #103
    Thrillhouse, indeed. SpikyHairedHooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    1,063


    i'm agreeing with tfd and hq on this one. nothing really funny about the episode, jerkass homer characterization, etc. and neb, you do have good points about it, but if we didn't enjoy it, we just didn't. the simpsons is supposed to be enjoyed, after all, it is a comedic cartoon show. it should be able to be enjoyed with OR without deep analysis of it. and if it can only be enjoyed when dissected piece by piece, it obviously wasn't a successful piece of comedy. now that's not to say that i don't enjoy analysing the show, because i do. i'm just saying that any truly good episode should be able to stand alone without the analysis.

    as for this episode, 2/5.
    Last edited by SpikyHairedHooligan; 12-13-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    Bart: Lis, I don't get it...Why does Milhouse's happiness make me sad?
    Lisa: Bart, you're worried you're losing Milhouse, and love is a selfish thing!
    Bart: Shut up! I don't love Milhouse!
    Lisa: Oh, really? The more you deny it, the more I know it's true!
    Bart: Oh, yeah? Well, whenever you're mean, I'm a trampoline. So everything you said goes back and hits your ugly head.
    Lisa: God, that was lame. Where did you get that?
    Bart: From Milhouse! Oh, I love him so much!

    --"Little Orphan Millie"

  14. #104
    Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,720


    Quote Originally Posted by SpikyHairedHooligan
    and neb, you do have good points about it, but if we didn't enjoy it, we just didn't.
    Yes, thankyou. I make good points, everyone else sits back and screams at the TV because they just didn't like it man!

    Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    Even if he wasn't out-of-character (which he was), he sure as hell wasn't funny.
    This has nothing to do with what I said. Respond in proper, plz. Hint: We were talking about looking at the situation through the eyes of Homer.

    Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    Well then you're just an easy guy to please I suppose...
    No, I would say my expectations of The Simpsons simply aren't ludicrous, like so many NHC members. Now go check that rulebook to make sure that joke satisfies all the criteria before you let a laugh get out!

    Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    I'm quite positive something like that happened. Didn't Ray Patterson arrive late at the meeting and one of them made a mention that Homer cut Patterson's brakes?
    Patterson: *puffs* Sorry I'm late. Somebody cut by brakes.
    Homer: The shouldn't you have been here early?
    *audience laughs*

    Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    I HAVE LUDICROUS EXPECTATIONS!!!!!!
    He admitted it right here!

  15. #105
    formerly Keyser Soze Imperciph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    I ain't sayin' nothin'
    Posts
    3,247


    meh, I suppose I can get involved in this :

    It's not a fantastic joke, but it's a funny and decent joke nonetheless. I wouldn't go and call it stupid since it did provide teh lulz. Also note the humour in the animation, and the fact that he kept going back to the parrot for no apparent reason (which in itself, is funny).
    so, the main source of humour in this scene is Homer being so angry and unreasonable that he's shaking a parrot for so reason at all. just like almost every scene involving him in his fight against Patterson and the garbagemen, it is driven by Homer's irrationality and being very,very angry. it's shticky writing, and while this certainly is capable of being funny, it's dosage in this particular episode is overdone, and when a shtick is overdone its hilarity starts to wear off and it becomes unfunny.

    here's a demonstration of how it can go :

    when he's being a jerk to patterson , "heh, look how angry he is and what stupid things he's doing."

    when he's shaking a parrot "he's so angry that he's shaking an innocent bird. um, ok, i guess it is kind of funny!"

    when he kicks off a woma from her chair, "he's continuing to be angry and unreasonable and he just kicked off a woman from her chair. Eh"

  16. #106
    I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,787
    Blog Entries
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    here's a demonstration of how it can go :

    when he's being a jerk to patterson , "heh, look how angry he is and what stupid things he's doing."

    when he's shaking a parrot "he's so angry that he's shaking an innocent bird. um, ok, i guess it is kind of funny!"

    when he kicks off a woma from her chair, "he's continuing to be angry and unreasonable and he just kicked off a woman from her chair. Eh"
    I kinda agree with that but even though I now you're talking about the progression and acumulative effect I still think some of those things are funnier than other. There is different quality to the jokes, even though I basically agree that your reaction could be similar to that cause you end being tired of how angry Homer is portrayed during the whole episode.

    I agree with Neb that shaking the parrot is a decent joke, it's just absurdity and it's not as if Homer shot the bird with a shotgun or something, and the animation is kinda funny. It's a little naive and silly but ok-ish. So

    Homer being a jerk to Patterson, sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not. It depends of how witty his lines are, but he certainly is not very likeable. So it's like "Homer just wants to win so it's esentially being a jerk to this guy". Meh, it's not like you have to analyze it a lot to see it wears thin in comparison to something like Homer hating Flanders, cause that usually provides a more insighful look of Homer's logic, which is really a lot interesting/funnier than just being angry. But you can laugh at some instances of someone being a jerk or angry if the dialogue is sharp. So

    Homer kicking the camera woman...I'm not going to say it's not funny at all. With the correct pacing and animation, which I thought there were present here, it can be sort of funny in a very basic, primitive way. It's like seeing someone falling down in the street, you feel pity but if the fall down is odd or unexpected you can find it sort of funny too. But it's not really in character for Homer and it's something that should be use in moderation. And certainly it has more justification when he push some people or something because they are blocking his way out (which I think it's what happens in Joy Of Sect when he provides the infamous "jerkass" line) than it has when he kicks a woman, something that could hurt her more and it's kind of a vandalic act, since he is irrupting in the stage too . He's not only showing bad behaviour as he does when pushing other people (which is more in character for someone like Homer), he's just being irrationally mean, hence not likeable. And I agree with TFD that it's quite easy to use this to provide laughs and they seemed to realize how easy it was during Scully era, so they began to overdo it and quickly a likeable third dimensional character with motivations was turned into a one dimensional lunatic jerk. So
    My Simpsons homage!


    http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

  17. #107
    . TheForbiddenDonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,787


    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    This has nothing to do with what I said. Respond in proper, plz. Hint: We were talking about looking at the situation through the eyes of Homer.
    You said it was the writers' job to make something funny, as if justifying Homer's behavior by saying it was for comedic intent. That's not valid for me, because I didn't think any of it was funny anyway.

    And again, I don't care about looking at it through the eyes of Homer; rational or not, he was annoying and not funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    No, I would say my expectations of The Simpsons simply aren't ludicrous, like so many NHC members. Now go check that rulebook to make sure that joke satisfies all the criteria before you let a laugh get out!
    "Official TFD Rulebook For The Criterion Under Which A Joke Must Fall In Order To Be Deemed Worthy Of Being Laughed At"- Section 1.0- Page 1.0- Article 1.0: "A joke must be funny in order to be worthy of being laughed at."

    Sorry, Neb, I guess it just doesn't fit my criteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Patterson: *puffs* Sorry I'm late. Somebody cut by brakes.
    Homer: The shouldn't you have been here early?
    *audience laughs*
    I'm pretty sure that you were supposed to infer that Homer cut his brakes, especially given that the quote has 'Somebody' in italics, but maybe that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    He admitted it right here!
    You're not even trying anymore.

    And Imperciph is pretty much dead right.

  18. #108
    The long and winding road.. Fugitive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    308


    This episode has never done much for me at all. 2/5 and my second least favorite of Season 9
    Wants user notes ;)

  19. #109
    Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,081


    Ian Maxtone-Graham is an incredible writer. This episode always makes me laugh. It has some wonderful one-liners. 4.75/5 for the jokes, Homer becoming jerkier and the ending...

  20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Léo Pard

  21. #110
    You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Bay, NorCal, America
    Posts
    1,067


    the garbage man can, the garbage man can. 4.5/5

  22. #111
    He Wears Short Shorts tom cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,254


    4/5- It's a good episode. Plus that musical is one of the best in the show's history.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

    -- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

    Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

  23. #112
    big bad Bartolo sung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    10,099
    Blog Entries
    1


    I'm going to write this down knowing that there are people who are not going to like it and knowing that I'm going to ignore some conventional idea that were shown from particular posters. I say this because: I just love the episode, I was constantly amused throughout in each and every scene.

    The episode starts out in high note with the biting satire of holiday merchandising (Happy Love day everyone!) and the process of the start of garbage plot from the Love Day was fluid. But the big cheese starts from the scene when Homer confronts Patterson and I do think that Homer was an unusually hyperactive/jerk throughout the episode... but scene itself was hilarious. Here we go, then to the another Homer-Gets-a-Job plot. Yeah, we all know that it's sickening, but given on the frequencies of those kind of plots were whole lot lower than the dreaded Season 18 (were they serious??), it's easily forgivable. I mean, if I were to rate the episode back in 1998, it's pretty tolerable.
    U2 apperance felt more like a promotion for 200th episode, but the band itself (actually, it's just Bono... or is it??) is a big activist and IMO, it made sense to me that Bono took an interest on Homer's babblings. The post-Moe's Tavern-scenes of Homer's campaign did a good job as a satire of the ignorant voters and premise with a lot of barks--but no bite. We then fast forward to 'Garbage Man Can' song--which is my favorite point of the episode. I love the lyrics, tunes and the interactions shown which would illustrate Homer's master plan. But it turns out that nothing can be perfect (again, a slight satire) in the government plan as the city goes broke.
    Homer's next plan--putting other cities' garbage in Springfield does feel very far-fetched, but the consequences were downright hilarious. Ending was probably the lowest point for me, but it did leave an impression for me to be funny.
    So what did the episode do to me? It was just downright hilarious, leaving me a lot of impressions. There are few negative factors (mainly Homer being a jerk) that should be thought of, but the episode was really enjoyable to me that those doesn't matter a lot to me. I'm giving it A- and like it

  24. #113
    Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,081


    Right on, Dewey.

  25. #114
    The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,346


    4/5 from me
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

  26. #115
    So it goes Granto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,456


    Solid 3/5 pretty much for the Debate scene, one of the greatest scenes of the post classic era.
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

  27. #116
    Junior Camper
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    76


    even though it's way out of date from an argument people were having 2 years ago - I for one liked Homer kicking the woman....'potato man!'

    er...4/5

  28. #117
    I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin: "More bars in more places."
    Posts
    15,653
    Blog Entries
    2


    I caught this again in syndications and they should rename it "Trash of the Simpsons". I guess Homer running around acting like an asshole, pushing people around for no good reason, and/or acting with a pompus sense of entitlement is funny for the majority, mob mentality as displayed in this thread.

    You may stampede me now.

    While not a fan of Jean's "Uber Stupid Homer" this episode was a harsh remeinder of ultra-batshit, Scully's-to-please-his-five-kids, Homer ("Jerkass" is too nice of a word). But everyone loves Homer and he's the star of the show (everyone loves a winner, right!?) so that makes his actions funny because we're SUPPOSED to be amused.

    Too bad the Scenes with U2's bodyguards beating the pulp out of Homer weren't the focus of this tradgedy, because THAT would've been funny.

  29. #118
    The Chosen One Walid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    'cause I live at home in a trailer...
    Posts
    32,898
    Blog Entries
    137


    4/5, i liked the song, and there were a few good jokes. the ending is bizarre though

  30. #119
    the original Sex Pistol
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    just a coupla minutes from here
    Posts
    7,173


    Yeah, 4/5, good. But I have no idea why they submitted it for the emmys...

  31. #120
    37th King of England Richard Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Billingham, England
    Posts
    519


    This is probably the 1st episode in the Scully era which has everything Seasons 10-12 are infamous for: Homer has to be hilarious, not plot-heavy at all, just trying to put as many gags as possible. So in a way this is the turning-point in the series, for me the end of the classic era. The last 3 episodes of Season 9 are more like the others in S9 rather than this, but when this won an Emmy, perhaps Scully got carried away and tried to make every episode like this. And he failed. Not saying this episode did not deserve the Emmy, because oh God it did. But maybe the world would have been a better place if this didn't win it. Still if this is the end of the classic era, then what a way to end it. Absolutely hilarious from start to finish, great work from the guest stars, a brilliant song, and a funny-as-hell ending. seasons 10-12 could have been excellent if the episodes were executed as well as this. But nothing, except maybe the completely different Behind The Laughter and Eternal Moonshine Of The Simpson Mind even comes close to this.

    10/10



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •