purple is a fruit

Meh it was good......3/5.

One of my all time favourites, 5/5.
    "Mmm... unexplained bacon." - Homer

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Léo Pard

Banned

2/5

This episode isn't very good.
    They could of at least tried to make it a good episode, especially considering it's the 200th episode..

This episode has some funny jokes, but all it is really is just proof that The Simpsons were getting tired after 9 seasons.

Loved this episode, one of the best of season 9 I think!.. I understand what some people are saying about "jerkass" Homer but I think the over-the-top characterization just really worked in this for some reason... the whole episode was hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphywiggum
    Loved this episode, one of the best of season 9 I think!.. I understand what some people are saying about "jerkass" Homer but I think the over-the-top characterization just really worked in this for some reason... the whole episode was hilarious!
    agreed, the jerkass Homer was perfect in this one. I don't know how many times I've seen this one, but it never gets old. Really a hilarious episode, start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by moleman31
    agreed, the jerkass Homer was perfect in this one. I don't know how many times I've seen this one, but it never gets old. Really a hilarious episode, start to finish.
    Same here, I last watched this episode about 2 months ago and have watched many many more episodes since then... but I have not laughed anywhere near as much as when I was watching that one... definitely one of the funniest simpsons ever I think!

I am giving this episode a well deserved 80% (aka 4/5).

The reality is that both your post and his should be bannable offenses. Pure ignorance about the show's current-day content is just as offensive as wearing blinders to mediocrity and openly praising everything.
    - Brad Lascelle,
    even if I don't agree on a post like mine in which I did not watch a new episode of OFF and still give it a negative rating should result in banning

Junior Camper

A good episode with at least one laugh-til-you-cry moment (Homer getting beaten up backstage being broadcast on the giant video wall). Not too shabby. 3.5/5.

Banned

Ughk. I wrote the stupidest posts four months ago. Ughk.

Anyway, I love this episode - it's so funny, fresh, fun, and exciting. One of my favourite Season 9 episodes.

4/5 - 8/10.

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

For lack of a better word, "meh" pretty much sums up my feelings about this episode. Homer was irksome to watch, the plot was rather dull, the pacing too rapid during the third act...nothing special about this one at all. 2/5

NHC's Resident Lisa Kyoya Otori's Avatar

3.5/5

Not my favorite, but still good.

I really like this episode from season 9. It's funny story and quite entertaining.
    I also like the song "The Garbageman Can" . Good Homer episode 4/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by banana plantation
    great episode, and the fact that it still garners hate seems to indicate just a fundamental difference in taste at this point of the series.
    Yeah, but what makes me wonder if people are tiring so much of the latter (S17 to present) Jean era, they will rewatch an older, crappier episode and give it a decent grade because it's different to what's airing now. I'd still say the only worse episodes from the Jean era that beat this out are "Dude where's my Ranch" and "Helter Shelter."

It sucked then and still sucks today, time hasn't made it any better. 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Ughk. I wrote the stupidest posts four months ago. Ughk.

Anyway, I love this episode - it's so funny, fresh, fun, and exciting. One of my favourite Season 9 episodes.

4/5 - 8/10.
    But you were dead right four months ago.

The episode is bad, plain and simple. Epitome of jerkass Homer here, and only a couple of decent jokes.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Is that to say you downgrade your 3/5 to about a 1/5?

Nah. It's either a high 2/5 or a low 3/5.

What brings it up to that level for you?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut
    But you were dead right four months ago.
    But I find it hilarious now. I've never had any problems with Homer here; in fact, I've never actually noticed that he's apparently a Jerkass in this episode. What does he do exactly?

Only exhibiting the worst case of irrational anger, hating a guy and torturing his parrot for no reason given other than Ray Patterson is the sanitary commissioner, and Homer was for some irrational reason angry with the garbagemen for an unbelievably minor incident. But I mean Homer doesn't even know the guy and he just walks into the guy's office with the biggest asshole attitude ever. Oh yeah, then he cuts his freaking brakes, if that's not an attempt to cause death or serious injury I don't know what is. Then he kicks a woman down because he wants to do something stupid, like, play with cameras for the most egocentric reasons. And I haven't seen the episode in a year.

Banned

I guess the reason I never particularly noticed that is because I thought most of the things he did were just plain funny. He did showcase some irrational anger, but I guess I never noticed that because I'm always irrationally angered and I would've done the same thing.

You're one to torture parrots, hate people for no reason (Ray Patterson didn't do a damn thing), kick people who've done absolutely nothing, cut a person's brake lines because they were running against you in an election? You must be one messed up guy.

Banned

Well no, I obviously wouldn't do any of those things.

It's like swallowing Draino

1.5/5

Steve Martin was the only bright spot in this, and he should've been given better material as it was. The episode has some funny gags, but the Jerkass Homer and terrible ending really bring it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

Well no, I obviously wouldn't do any of those things.
    Then I don't see how anyone could possibly find Homer likable considering all this. Homer's a saint in 'Homer's Enemy' compared to the way he acts this episode.

Banned

I never said he was likable, I said he wasn't unlikable. I don't actually recall him torturing parrots and that, so I'll probably have to watch it again, but I just think some people on here are overreacting at the things he did, with the obvious exception of those 4 you mentioned.

He shook Ray Patterson's parrot's cage violently, clearly giving it a lot of distress. His jerkassery just stands out so much to me in this episode.

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Even if Homer wasn't a jerkass (which he was), the jokes were unfunny, the plot uninteresting, and the pacing noticeably askew.

It manages to be of acceptable quality despite Homer. It's he who brings the quality of the episode down, the other gags work to a certain extent, the satire (while not present not much) is at an serviceable level, the musical number is good by any standard, but writing of Homer damages the whole episode. Write a less irritable Homer (to the audience, not to the characters in the show, like in Homer's Enemy where he's pretty goddamn irritating to Grimes but likeable to most of the audience) and this would've been much better.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Quote Originally Posted by TFD
    and Homer was for some irrational reason angry with the garbagemen for an unbelievably minor incident.
    Pffft. He got angry at the garbage men for a pretty damn good reason imo. They ignored him, they didn't do their job, he suffered and so he got pissed off. Not like he over-acted there either. He yelled at them from a distance and called them "trash eating stinkbags", probably because he was pissed off,. Nope. Unless you're being totally outrageous then this instance of Homer's behaviour was understandable.

But I mean Homer doesn't even know the guy and he just walks into the guy's office with the biggest asshole attitude ever.
    Well he's a public servant and the general theory of public servants is that their offices should always be open to the electorate You know, seeing as it's them who the public servants represent and such. And besides, he was pissed off about his garbage. I remember when I got a parking ticket I wrote an angry letter. Homer's even angrier than me, so his marching into the office with an attitude is understandable.

Oh yeah, then he cuts his freaking brakes, if that's not an attempt to cause death or serious injury I don't know what is.
    Hey, hey! You've got no evidence of that. Homer was just being witty, and we've seen him be witty before ("I guess you could say he was barking up the wrong bush")

Then he kicks a woman down because he wants to do something stupid
    Eh?

I guess the reason I never particularly noticed that is because I thought most of the things he did were just plain funny
    Yes me too. I call it "pragmatism" :silly: You know, since The Simpsons is a comedy then things that are funny, which this episode is full of imo, should be written in at every opportunity. So long as the show doesn't become too reliant on cheap humour, which it hadn't at this point, then there's no problem. Of course, if they can manage to write things that are hilarious that are at the same time, outstanding in every way, then I'd obviously prefer that to Homer's jerkassy characterisation. That's probably why I don't rank this episode as #1, heh.

Then I don't see how anyone could possibly find Homer likable considering all this.
    Yeah no-one seriously watches The Simpsons this way. "OMG is that funny? Would I do it in real life? Hmmm, I think I would, hence LOL"

Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    the plot uninteresting
    How? So far as I can tell, the idea of Homer gaining a position in the public sector is pretty interesting, as was his campaign and his typically Homer-logic-esque way of solving a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    and the pacing noticeably askew.
    You say that so often it's lost all meaning. How is the pacing "noticeably askew"?

Thread Information