70 38.89%

28 15.56%

5 2.78%

1 0.56%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: R&R Treehouse of Horror

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

5/5. Every segment is excellent, but the first to me is the strongest. The funniest moments are when the house possesses each of the Simpsons, then they all try to kill each other with knives, only for Marge to reveal she's not possessed and stop them; and when Homer throws an orange into the kitchen portal, only for a piece of paper reading "Quit throwing your garbage into our dimension" to come back.

Blog Entries

Treehouse of Horror Review

Bad Dream House
    This is the weakest segment of the episode but it’s still pretty creepy. There’s just a general unsettling vibe to it, they seem to be playing the horror elements fairly straight here. However, there are still some good jokes such as the portal, and the knife scene just fantastic, especially the fact that they were about to murder each other. But what makes this a good segment is the creepy voice, which helps provide a lot of tension for the segment. There is a genuine sense of danger here and this segment provides a very nice Halloween story. 4/5

Hungry are the Damned
    This is definitely the best segment, while the jokes aren’t laugh out loud funny, almost everything else about it makes up for that. Not only do we see Kang and Kodos for the first time but the story here is excellent. The writers do a fantastic job setting up the red herring but even if you’ve seen the segment before, it would still be very entertaining. Not to mention, the animators do an amazing job with creating the atmosphere of the alien spaceship, using lots of different colours to great visual effect and making this segment stand out even more. 5/5

The Raven
    This is another great segment and one that I really appreciate. It’s probably the most ambitious the show has ever been but it definitely paid off. Dan Castellaneta gives an amazing performance as Homer and there is some great narration by James Earl Jones. While some might find it boring due to the lack of jokes, I think it actually works to its advantage and the focus should actually be more on the storytelling and atmosphere. Honestly, it saddens me that something like this would never be made on the show today and we instead just get cheap Mapple jokes. 5/5
    Last edited by Mr. Teenie; 05-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.

5/5
    I love this THOH episode. There were even better ones to come, but this one was great. I always looked forward to these due to my strong interest in horror films in general. I love all 3 of the segments in this one too. And above all else, this wasn't really anything bad at all for a first shot of something that became an annual thing.

The origin of the most popular and representative tradition of The Simpsons. It does a pretty good job when it comes to making people laugh, but especially when it comes to scare. It was the strength of this episode that allowed the Treehouse of Horror to continue to air every year. Luckily, they had the brilliant idea of ​​doing three episodes in one.

Bad Dream House: A great segment. It tells a trite story, but that is always interesting. It is hilarious from beginning to end. And it has an unbeatable and iconic ending. (A)

Hungry Are the Damned: Another hilarious segment, but with more flaws than the previous one. It's original, but it can get boring and tedious, especially at the end. (B+)

The Raven: Overrated. This segment is quite boring and not terrifying. It is true, it adapts very well a classic and ancient work, but it does not reach a high level. (C)

OVERALL: B (4/5)

This episode is exceedingly impressive. All three segments feature brilliant direction and evoke a gloriously sinister, dark atmosphere, something that these episodes quite swiftly began to lack. There's actual horror in the Treehouse of Horror! Amazing! The humour is as on-point as you'd expect from Season 2, perhaps even more so. "Bad Dream House" and "Hungry are the Damned" would both crack my top ten THOH acts, and "The Raven" is monstrously underrated by some. I completely agree with this appraisal:

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Peaness View Post
    I just saw this again and was really impressed. "The Raven" grew on me this time, because I actually listened to the dialogue and admired how it was physically interpreted. Dan's acting is brilliant, as is James Earl Jones' narration. It feels like something that could only have been done in season 2...something mature and more leisurely paced that doesn't have to be filled with jokes.
    Probably one of my top three THOH episodes, which is quite the glowing endorsement, to say the least. A+

Pin Pal

The original in the Simpsons' longest running tradition. While much better THOH would preceed it, this is by no means a poor outing. It was very innovative and daring for the show to try something so unique after a season of fairly standard sitcom episodes, and I'm glad they stuck with it. I must admit, it's rather jarring seeing the writers playing so fast and loose with continuity and realism this early in the show, back when it was so grounded. The non-cannon nature of the THOH episodes allows the writers to take the show to weird, dark, and creative levels that standard episodes just don't allow, and that often yeilds positive results.

Bad Dream House - My favourite one of the three. The tried and true trope, but fast-paced, inventive and has my favourite moment in the episode. (Homer arguing with the agent on the phone "He said he mentioned it 7 or 8 times")
    Hungry Are the Damned - Again, a standard trope with a nice subversion... for its time at least. The THOH special also gave the creators a chance to experiement with sci-fi elements. The "How to Cook for Forty Human" I believe was the first of many clever sign gags and misdirections the show would become well known for.
    The Raven - Probably my least favourite of the three. While animated and directed beautifuly, little humour can be found here. Maybe that's the appeal, as it is straight up focused on making you feel unsettled and honouring the source material. But the Simpsons would do direct parody a lot more skillful in future THOHs (and 'Cape Feare')

A strong start to the Simpsons Halloween specials, which would end up being overshadowed by future installments. 8/10

Treehouse of Horror. The original. The edition that started the tradition and the most important event that this series has offered. Three mini-episodes that marked a before and after in the history of the show. An annual special that forced me to become interested in the horror genre, to love a festivity I did not know, and to appreciate and be thankful for being a fan of The Simpsons. Another of those wonders that distinguish the greatest series ever.

The idea of ​​the three segments in one is a success of incalculable value for this episode. The tradition would not be as solid, nor as expected, nor just as popular as it is if there would not have been divided into three short segments. On the other hand, the name is used for all, but only has real meaning for this first release. Because this is the first and only time, until now, when the wraparound segment is developed in Bart's treehouse. And it's really nice to see the three children together, telling each other horror stories and celebrating Halloween innocently. It's fun to see Homer disturbed by the stories his children tell, even though what they wanted was to scare each other. Of course they did not meet their goal because, as Marge said in the presentation, their children are not scared of anything. By the way, that introduction is as simple as enjoyable. It is curious (or not) how, almost 30 years later, the discourse has been so outdated. And we also have the first gag delivery of the tombstones. And, while we do not have the crazy-credits, for the first time a different version of Danny Elfman's melody sounds in them.

The first segment, Bad Dream House, is an absolute masterpiece. Literally, there was no better highway to inaugurate this tradition. It has both elements that a segment of Treehouse of Horror must-have. The first one, as the name of the episode indicates, is horror. I do not pretend that a caricature frightens an adult. Yes that makes you feel located on Halloween. And that's what they delivered. And this was achieved thanks to the splendid work of those who do not take merits or recognition. Those responsible for colors, animation, special effects, sound editor, music manager, re-recording mixer, among others. All of the behind-the-scenes work works with wonderful harmony, which is also a credit to the director, Wes Archer. The other thing that can not miss is humor. And here is the merit of John Swartzwelder. He never forgot that this episode is part of a comedy. The segment, therefore, is full of memorable and hilarious gags, like that of the Indian cemetery.

In addition, the segment enjoys the perfect characterizations of each member of the family. And, in fact, it exaggerates them to the point that they become important. Homer is unable to understand the situation and is carried away by the superficial. Bart is happy with the supernatural and wants to have fun watching the walls bleed. Lisa shows empathy for the house, seeks to understand and help her, and claims to need help after being rejected by her. And Marge remains worried and pessimistic about the situation, she is the one who maintains the reason and the one who defends her family. Also noteworthy are the spectacular cultural references to horror classics, such as The Exorcist, Psycho, or The Shining, which help the development of the episode, and do not seek popularity. The last thing I want to mention about this first part is the outstanding voice acting of Julie Kavner and the allusive participation of Harry Shearer as Evil House.

The second segment was titled Hungry are the Damned. But we all remember it as the one who approached us into Kang and Kodos. The extraterrestrials of the planet Rigel VII that would become the main symbol of this tradition. In this case, however, we would see them accompanied by others of their kind, such as the sentimental chef, Serak the Preparer, or the unpronounceable one. Certain jokes about this intergalactic trip made me chuckle. In fact, there are several jokes that make me laugh no matter how many times I see the segment. The coincidence between the English and the Rigellian, the need of the extraterrestrial to cut the tongue to Marge so that it pronounces its name and the electronic version of table tennis are very funny moments. However, my favorite scene is the one immediately following that of the pong, when the aliens ask, with pride, which race had commanded the intergalactic journey, after which Bart raises his hand.

Something that has surprised me in this segment is the number of plot twists it proposes in a matter of seconds. The aliens went from being heroes to villains according to the title of the book used by Serak. And the best thing about this is that both positions were credible for the good development of the plot in the previous 6 minutes. In the end, they were the good guys, while there were no bad ones. The one that comes closest to it is Lisa. It can be said that she ruined the possibility of The Simpsons to live in a utopian world but, come on, who would not have imagined just like her in such a situation? Who would not have maligned the intentions of the aliens? This outcome made me reflect a little. Yes, even for this there was a place in this special. Stop thinking that we are the center of the world, the most important. Do not be so selfish to think that we are alone. Well, I'm already delirious. But yes, it would be good to stop being the monsters, just like Lisa said.

The third segment is The Raven. Yes, as well as the nineteenth-century poem by Edgar Allan Poe. Because, in fact, it is an adaptation of that poem, and the renowned writer is credited as a screenwriter. Something that makes this segment stands out is its setting. It is different than normal. The animation and the type of story were factors in this, but the big responsible was James Earl Jones, because he manages to masterfully interpret the narrator (and, of course, Sam Simon, who decided to include the figure of the narrator, and casting who chose it) It is amazing how the writer achieves absolute fidelity to both the original poem and his show. Because, on the one hand, it maintains the original story and even much of the writing devised by Poe. But, on the other, he manages to include the Simpson style in it, with the help of the good work of the animators and Dan Castellaneta, who managed to give grace with their simple expressions or reactions.

In addition, this fidelity, both to The raven and The Simpsons, is more easily demonstrated in a factor as crucial as the characters. The protagonists of the series embody the protagonists of the poem and, saving the obvious references, they do it respecting what characterizes them. Homer uses a formal language which helps generate the environment, but also generates laughter. Bart (the raven), maintains that perversity that I like to perceive in these Halloween specials, while Bart canon, to call him somehow, can not avoid his funny comments and criticisms. Lisa and Maggie appear in the play like angels, and Marge (Elenor) does it as the deceased wife. None of them has a leading role. The weak point of the segment is humor. Although honestly, I do not think that anyone gets bored watching it, the truth is that the lack of jokes is evident, at least compared to the two previous segments.

Treehouse of Horror is, in my opinion, the first excellent episode of this series. It gives a fantastic start to a fantastic tradition. The three segments are composed of good jokes, a certain degree of horror, and excellent script/direction. A serious contender to the best of the second season.

Bad Dream House: 5/5
    Hungry Are the Damned: 4/5
    The Raven: 4/5

Treehouse of Horror: 5/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 05-24-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Good episode (entire).

1. Opening (setting) - classic "Treehouse of horror".
    2. Bad Dream House - scary and realistic just what it needs to the horror, but not enough satire. Anyway 78/100.
    3. Hungry are the Damned - the plot is terrific, but, unlike the previous segment, this didn't impress me (anyway, I like the joke about "How to Cook for Forty Humans") 66/100.
    4. The Raven - classic good scary tale. 86/100

This episode is in 2rd plase overall THOH episodes.

TOTAL (in avarage) 76/100. GOOD!

P.S. I've just noticed that it's the only episode overall where The Simpsons family is only human (live) characters (except of briefly appearance of removalist in the start of the first story).
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 03/08/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 10 > 12 > 15 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

The original Treehouse is actually in a treehouse, I miss it when it was like that, the characters actually telling the stories

Bad Dream House - This is a classic segment, but looking back on it, it's just okay, some fun stuff here and there, I wish they did more with the family trying to kill eachother 3/5

Hungry are the Damned - Easily the best segment here, probably the only one I really like here, although there isn't much horror here, it has a spooky vibe and is easily one of my favourite segments of all time 5/5

The Raven - This one is by far my least favourite, while it is not bad, whenever I watch this episode, I don't skip this one, but I just don't enjoy watching it, although I can admire it 3/5

Overall, this was a pretty good start to the ToH series, I give it a light 4/5

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Bad Dream House: This is my favorite segment by far. I love how casually everyone treats being stuck in a murderous haunted house. It's such a great joke that has a really funny pay off with Marge yelling at the house and the house pretty much killing itself just to not live with the Simpsons. Not only is this my favorite segment, it's the funniest part of the Simpsons so far. 10/10

Hungry are the Damned: I find this one less funny. The main joke is a pretty typical subversion. But the segment does play with that subversion a bit to keep it from not being funny at all and I like a lot of the side jokes. Also the lighting is great, capturing the horror atmosphere really well. 7/10

The Raven: Unpopular opinion: I'm not a big fan of this segment. Yes it has great narration and everything looks really good, but the tone is what ruins it for me. It feels at odds with itself. Homer's narration is very silly while James Earl Jones's is very serious. There's a lot of suspenseful build up to a cutaway or something comedic that ruins it. And the jokes can't work because the segment keeps trying to build a horror atmosphere and James Earl Jones is taking the segment very seriously. I think this problem is most apparent at the end, with a chase that's pretty comedic with Homer getting hit on the head with other Edgar Allan Poe books and Bart acting as the bird he's chasing, but it's followed by Homer just lying in a mess of books, being taken very seriously. I think the segment should've either gone for a straight up comedic take on the poem, taken the entire segment seriously, or gotten a better balance between the horror and comedy, because this segment does not hit it for me. 5/10

Overall I like this episode. Two of the three segments are enjoyable and even The Raven has a lot to appreciate. 7/10

The very first Halloween episode of the series sure is a very, very great one overall and quite special in a sense, as it seem to focus more more on the atmospheric creepiness and artistic values over the later ones that certainly improved in many ways (such as with the humor), but the way they tackled this first one (in which we have Bart & Lisa entertain themselves with the spooky stories in the treehouse while Homer eavesdrops) was great, with some real effort put into it, the storytelling, the horror-themed elements and the animation itself (which still looks quite spectacular for the time being; easily the best looking episode up to this point in the series). Like I've said earlier, it is probably the best one of them in a sense (though not my my personal favorite) and the most unique. A great one, all in all.

The first segment, titled 'Bad Dream House', is the show doing a typical haunted house story (about the Simpsons moving into an ghost house that is sentient and tries to get rid of them) with and suitably dramatic flair (to go along with the amazing animation with all the weird angles and use of colors) and also parodying movies like 'The Shining' and 'Poltergeist' to some great effect. This is a great one, having almost everything a god Halloween tale of the show should have, ranging from a neat spooky atmosphere, creepiness and some solid humor (like the portal that doesn't want garbage thrown into it & Homer hoisted up to the ceiling by the ghostly force and screaming his head off). The spookier moments, such as the house manipulating the family members, sans Marge, into nearly killing each other were done well and was a good blend of seriousness and humor. The ending with the house choosing to implode over a life with the Simpsons (and Bart saying "Bitchin") was a great closure.

The second segment, 'Hungry Are the Damned', introduced the tentacled aliens Kang & Kodos as they abduct the Simpsons from their back yard to take them to their home planet and offering a feast of them on the way which arouse suspicion from Lisa who finds an 'How To Cook Humans' cookbook; another great segment and a very fun story. It is not as meaty as the first or last segment, but it is an enjoyable story with the spaceship setting and the aliens involved directly with the family give a lot of good stuff (as well as jokes, such as the aliens not being up to date with Earth technology, the cookbook having its real title gradually revealed due to covered with space dust, Homer's threatening line to the aliens after Lisa's reveal & the family's gluttony having made the alien cook cry; both of the latter two having great lines). I like how the aliens genuinely having wanted to sow the humans bliss, but return them due to their suspicion and the family blame Lisa for ruining it all in an memorable ending.

The third and last segment, 'The Raven', is one of the finest 'Treehouse' segments of the entire show, maybe not my favorite of the episode but still excellent. Being an retelling of Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Raven' and having James Earl Jones narrating it, it is one of the more sophisticated and artistic bits of the show, but still being an fantastic piece and having that Simpsons flair to it (with Homer in the lead role and Bart as the titular bird who keeps pestering him). It is still to this day an amazing looking segment with some top notch animation directing, use of colors and angles (along with some nice creativity for a segment based on a poem) & they manage to get a fair bit of humor out of it (much due to the animation and staging itself with Homer in an dramatic role with his goofy voice and mannerisms). Maybe it is one of the less funny segments, but that doesn't matter since it still completely works. I understand those who disagree but to me it is one of the show's best moments.

So summing the first Treehouse up, it is by all accounts an clear success and a home run for the show, delivering the start of a new trend of an Halloween special each year and with an stellar one that sets the stage and structure of those to come, even if they dropped the wraparounds after some years. Ranging from the storytelling and atmopshere to the animation and humor, this is one of the high points of the show's earlier days.

5/5

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information