67 38.73%

27 15.61%

5 2.89%

1 0.58%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: R&R Treehouse of Horror

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

5/5. Every segment is excellent, but the first to me is the strongest. The funniest moments are when the house possesses each of the Simpsons, then they all try to kill each other with knives, only for Marge to reveal she's not possessed and stop them; and when Homer throws an orange into the kitchen portal, only for a piece of paper reading "Quit throwing your garbage into our dimension" to come back.

Blog Entries

Treehouse of Horror Review

Bad Dream House
    This is the weakest segment of the episode but it’s still pretty creepy. There’s just a general unsettling vibe to it, they seem to be playing the horror elements fairly straight here. However, there are still some good jokes such as the portal, and the knife scene just fantastic, especially the fact that they were about to murder each other. But what makes this a good segment is the creepy voice, which helps provide a lot of tension for the segment. There is a genuine sense of danger here and this segment provides a very nice Halloween story. 4/5

Hungry are the Damned
    This is definitely the best segment, while the jokes aren’t laugh out loud funny, almost everything else about it makes up for that. Not only do we see Kang and Kodos for the first time but the story here is excellent. The writers do a fantastic job setting up the red herring but even if you’ve seen the segment before, it would still be very entertaining. Not to mention, the animators do an amazing job with creating the atmosphere of the alien spaceship, using lots of different colours to great visual effect and making this segment stand out even more. 5/5

The Raven
    This is another great segment and one that I really appreciate. It’s probably the most ambitious the show has ever been but it definitely paid off. Dan Castellaneta gives an amazing performance as Homer and there is some great narration by James Earl Jones. While some might find it boring due to the lack of jokes, I think it actually works to its advantage and the focus should actually be more on the storytelling and atmosphere. Honestly, it saddens me that something like this would never be made on the show today and we instead just get cheap Mapple jokes. 5/5
    Last edited by Mr. Teenie; 05-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.

5/5
    I love this THOH episode. There were even better ones to come, but this one was great. I always looked forward to these due to my strong interest in horror films in general. I love all 3 of the segments in this one too. And above all else, this wasn't really anything bad at all for a first shot of something that became an annual thing.

The origin of the most popular and representative tradition of The Simpsons. It does a pretty good job when it comes to making people laugh, but especially when it comes to scare. It was the strength of this episode that allowed the Treehouse of Horror to continue to air every year. Luckily, they had the brilliant idea of ​​doing three episodes in one.

Bad Dream House: A great segment. It tells a trite story, but that is always interesting. It is hilarious from beginning to end. And it has an unbeatable and iconic ending. (A)

Hungry Are the Damned: Another hilarious segment, but with more flaws than the previous one. It's original, but it can get boring and tedious, especially at the end. (B+)

The Raven: Overrated. This segment is quite boring and not terrifying. It is true, it adapts very well a classic and ancient work, but it does not reach a high level. (C)

OVERALL: B (4/5)

This episode is exceedingly impressive. All three segments feature brilliant direction and evoke a gloriously sinister, dark atmosphere, something that these episodes quite swiftly began to lack. There's actual horror in the Treehouse of Horror! Amazing! The humour is as on-point as you'd expect from Season 2, perhaps even more so. "Bad Dream House" and "Hungry are the Damned" would both crack my top ten THOH acts, and "The Raven" is monstrously underrated by some. I completely agree with this appraisal:

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Peaness View Post
    I just saw this again and was really impressed. "The Raven" grew on me this time, because I actually listened to the dialogue and admired how it was physically interpreted. Dan's acting is brilliant, as is James Earl Jones' narration. It feels like something that could only have been done in season 2...something mature and more leisurely paced that doesn't have to be filled with jokes.
    Probably one of my top three THOH episodes, which is quite the glowing endorsement, to say the least. A+

Junior Camper

The original in the Simpsons' longest running tradition. While much better THOH would preceed it, this is by no means a poor outing. It was very innovative and daring for the show to try something so unique after a season of fairly standard sitcom episodes, and I'm glad they stuck with it. I must admit, it's rather jarring seeing the writers playing so fast and loose with continuity and realism this early in the show, back when it was so grounded. The non-cannon nature of the THOH episodes allows the writers to take the show to weird, dark, and creative levels that standard episodes just don't allow, and that often yeilds positive results.

Bad Dream House - My favourite one of the three. The tried and true trope, but fast-paced, inventive and has my favourite moment in the episode. (Homer arguing with the agent on the phone "He said he mentioned it 7 or 8 times")
    Hungry Are the Damned - Again, a standard trope with a nice subversion... for its time at least. The THOH special also gave the creators a chance to experiement with sci-fi elements. The "How to Cook for Forty Human" I believe was the first of many clever sign gags and misdirections the show would become well known for.
    The Raven - Probably my least favourite of the three. While animated and directed beautifuly, little humour can be found here. Maybe that's the appeal, as it is straight up focused on making you feel unsettled and honouring the source material. But the Simpsons would do direct parody a lot more skillful in future THOHs (and 'Cape Feare')

A strong start to the Simpsons Halloween specials, which would end up being overshadowed by future installments. 8/10

Treehouse of Horror. The original. The edition that started the tradition and the most important event that this series has offered. Three mini-epidodios that marked a before and after in the history of the show. An annual special that forced me to become interested in the horror genre, to love a party I did not know, and to appreciate and be thankful to be a fan of The Simpsons. Another of those wonders that distinguish we.

The idea of ​​the three segments in one is a success of incalculable value for this episode. The tradition would not be as solid, nor as expected, nor just as popular, as it is thanks to the division into segments of the episode. On the other hand, the name is missed by all, but only has a real meaning for this first release. Because this is the first and only time, until now, when the background segment is developed in Bart's treehouse. And it's really nice to see the three children together, telling each other horror stories and pretending Halloween innocently. It's fun to see Homer disturbed by the stories his children tell, even though what they wanted was to scare each other. Of course they did not meet their goal, because, as Marge said in the presentation, their children are not scared with anything. By the way, that introduction is as simple as enjoyable. It is curious (or not) how, almost 30 years later, the discourse has been so outdated. And we also have the first gag delivery of the tombstones. And, while we do not have the crazy-credits, for the first time a different version sounds in them.

Oh, the old fake finger trick. It's better if Bart does it.

The first segment, Bad Dream House, is an absolute masterpiece. Literally, there was no better way to start this tradition. It has both sides that a segment of Treehouse of Horror must have. The first, as the name of the episode indicates, is horror. I do not pretend that a caricature frightens an adult. Yes that makes you feel worthy of Halloween. And that's what they get. And this was achieved thanks to the splendid work of those who do not take merits or recognition. Those responsible for colors, animation, special effects, sound editor, music manager, re-recording mixer, among others. All of the behind-the-scenes work works with wonderful harmony, which is also a credit to the director, Wes Archer. The other thing that can not miss is humor. And here is the merit of John Swartzwelder. He never forgot that this episode is part of a comedy. The segment, therefore, is full of memorable and hilarious gags, like that of the Indian cemetery.

One of the best screenshots that can be made.

In addition, the segment enjoys perfect characterizations of each member of the family. And, in fact, it exaggerates them to the point that they become important. Homer is unable to understand the situation, and is carried away by the superficial. Bart is happy with the supernatural and wants to have fun watching the walls bleed. Lisa shows empathy for the house, seeks to understand and help her, and claims to need help after being rejected by her. And Marge remains worried and pessimistic about the situation, she is the one who maintains the reason and the one who defends her family. Also noteworthy are the spectacular cultural references to horror classics, such as The Exorsis, Psycho or The Shinning, which help the development of the episode, and do not seek popularity. The last thing I want to mention about this first part is the outstanding voice acting of Julie Kavner, and the allusive participation of Harry Shearer as Evil House.

Look at the colors, the shapes, the scenery. It's all perfect.

The second segment was titled Hungry are the Damned. But we all remember him as the one who introduced us to Kang and Kodos. The extraterrestrials of the planet Rigel VII that would become the main symbol of this tradition. In this case, however, we would see them accompanied by others of their kind, such as the sentimental chef, Serak the Preparer, or the unpronounceable one. Certain jokes of this intergalactic trip made me very funny. In fact, there are several jokes that make me laugh no matter how many times I see the segment. The coincidence between the English and the Rigellian, the need of the extraterrestrial to cut the tongue to Marge so that it pronounces its name and the electronic version of table tennis are very funny moments. However, my favorite scene is the one immediately following that of the pong, when the aliens ask, with pride, which race had commanded the intergalactic journey, after which Bart raises his hand.

We do not dominate the intergalactic journey, but we have better videogames. Checkmate, aliens.

Something that has surprised me in this segment is the number of plot twists he proposes in a matter of seconds. The aliens went from being heroes to villains according to the title of the book used by Serak. And the best thing about this is that both positions were credible for the good development of the plot in the previous 6 minutes. In the end, they were the good guys. While there were no bad ones. The one that comes closest to it is Lisa. It can be said that she ruined the possibility of The Simpsons to live in a utopian world but, come on, who would not have imagined just like her in such a situation? Who would not have maligned the intentions of the aliens? This outcome made me reflect a little. Yes, even for this there was a place in this special. Stop thinking that we are the center of the world, the most important. Do not be so selfish to think that we are alone. Well, I'm already delirious. But yes, it would be good to stop being the monsters, just like Lisa said.

"There were monsters on that ship, and truly we were them".

The third segment is The Raven. Yes, as well as the nineteenth-century poem by Edgar Allan Poe. Because, in fact, it is an adaptation of that poem, and the renowned writer is credited as a screenwriter. Something that makes this segment stand out is its setting. It is different than normal. The animation and the type of story were factors in this, but the main responsible was James Earl Jones, because he manages to masterfully interpret the narrator (and, of course, Sam Simon, who decided to include the figure of the narrator, and casting who chose it) It is amazing how the writer achieves absolute fidelity to both the original poem and his show. Because, on the one hand, it maintains the original story and even much of the writing devised by Poe. But, on the other, he manages to include the Simpson style in him, with the help of the good work of the animators and Dan Castellaneta, who managed to give grace with their simple expressions or reactions.

"Take thy beak from out my heart and take thy form from off my door".

In addition, this fidelity, both to The raven and The Simpsons, is more easily demonstrated in a factor as crucial as the characters. The protagonists of the series embody the protagonists of the poem and, saving the obvious references, they do it respecting what characterizes them. Homer uses a formal language which helps generate the environment, but also generates laughter. Bart (the crow), maintains that perversity that I like to show in the Halloween specials, while Bart canon, to call it somehow, can not avoid his funny comments and criticisms. Lisa and Maggie appear in the play as angels, and Marge (Elenor) does it as the deceased wife. None of them has a leading role. The weak point of the segment is humor. Although, honestly, I do not think that anyone gets bored watching it, the truth is that the lack of jokes is evident, at least compared to the two previous segments.

Close-up of the cute crow that only says "nevermore"... and "eat my shorts".

Treehouse of Horror is, in my opinion, the first excellent episode of this series. It gives a fantastic start to a fantastic tradition. The three segments are composed of good jokes, a certain degree of horror, and excellent script/direction. Serious contender to the best of the second season.

5/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 11-09-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Good episode (entire).

1. Opening (setting) - classic "Treehouse of horror".
    2. Bad Dream House - scary and realistic just what it needs to the horror, but not enough satire. Anyway 78/100.
    3. Hungry are the Damned - the plot is terrific, but, unlike the previous segment, this didn't impress me (anyway, I like the joke about "How to Cook for Forty Humans") 66/100.
    4. The Raven - classic good scary tale. 86/100

This episode is in 2rd plase overall THOH episodes.

TOTAL (in avarage) 76/100. GOOD!

P.S. I've just noticed that it's the only episode overall where The Simpsons family is only human (live) characters (except of briefly appearance of removalist in the start of the first story).
    IMHO the most and the least favourite episodes of each season (without clipshows and trilogy episodes):
    1. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Bart the Lover/Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge Gets a Job 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Burns’ Heir 6. ’Round Springfield/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Bart the Fink 8. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious/The Springfield Files 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Das Bus 10. Maximum Homerdrive/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Faith Off/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Three Gays of the Condo 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Pranksta Rap 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/The Italian Bob 18. The Wife Aquatic/Rome-old and Juli-eh 19. He Loves to Fly and He D’ohs/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/In the Name of the Grandfather 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Stealing First Base 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Love Is a Many Strangled Thing 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/The Ten-Per-Cent Solution 24. The Saga of Carl/Penny-Wiseguys 25. Brick Like Me/The Man Who Grew Too Much 26. Bart’s New Friend/Simpsorama 27. Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream 28. The Town/Trust but Clarify 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 30. TBA/TBA

I think that opinions may differ how many people, so many opinions.

Thread Information