17 9.44%
  • 2/5

4 2.22%
  • 1/5

6 3.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R Lisa the Simpson

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

dry in some places but great i love lisa's tv speech and the ending was superb homer was great good show bill and josh to leave on great show and jasper is classic great apu b-story

4/5 nuff said

Great episode. 5/5

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My 3rd favourite episode of all time, only outclassed by Lisa the Vegetarian and Homer's Enemy. I don't know why people are complaining about lack of humour, because I found this episode to be hilarious! Jasper's "Moon Pies" line, The Nude-E-Mart, "When Buildings Collapse", and "I got it! Woo-hoo! I mean, 'splendid'." are just a few of the great moments of this episode. It also was an episode that made me really feel for Lisa, even though she may consider herself better than Homer and Bart. An awesome episode with lots of humour, an interesting plot, and great emotion. 5/5.

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

“Lisa the Simpson” – be the ending as it may – is one of those episodes that you watch of The Simpsons that give you a warm feeling inside. Not just because you can feel Lisa’s turmoil and Bart & Homer’s insult to her “Like you!” statement, but because of how the story plays out and how it resolves.

The premise is as such – Lisa finds herself forgetting simple things after not solving a brain teaser – than even Ralph could solve. She then goes to Grampa with her problems and he tells her about the ‘Simpson Gene,’ which affects all Simpsons around Lisa’s age. Facing her future, she tries to stop it from happening – but she gives up and decides to give her brain one last intelligence spark. After appearing on Smartline to tell people to appreciate their intelligence, Homer gathers all of the Simpson family to show Lisa that not all Simpsons turn out bad. However, seeing their occupations – my favorites such as ‘shooting birds at the airport’ and ‘stepping in front of cars and suing the drivers’ – does little to help Lisa. Telling them to go home, Marge tells Homer to introduce Lisa to the women Simpsons. After learning from Dr. Simpson that the Simpson gene is only present in the Y chromosome and it only affects males, Lisa’s faith in her brain and family are restored. She is also able to solve the brain teaser – which was only a difficult way of saying ’1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6′.

Onto the subplot, hm .. I don’t think it was as strong as the A-plot, I believe it was only time-filler; which was pointless as Lisa’s Simpson turmoil could have easily been an episode on it’s own. Freak-E-Mart and Nude-E-Mart are probably one of my least favorite subplots, only for the reason that I believe it was pointless in this episode. However, it doesn’t affect my grade on this episode at all.

My favorite moment would have to be Lisa giving her brain one last ‘meal,’ going to The Jazz Hole – dirty joke not intended – and the museum, all the like. I also liked – which was probably the most hilarious moment in the episode – Lisa’s dream of her future; she is married to Ralph Wiggum, is morbidly obese, has several children, and somehow developed a Southern accent. I give credit to Yeardley Smith for her work on that scene, her deliverance of the lines was just top-notch hilarity.

One thing that I didn’t like about this episode was how Homer said to Bart that he was going to be a spectacular failure due to the Simpson gene; I would have liked to see Marge at least comfort Bart about his future or just leave that scene out of the episode completely. But, ah well .. it’s still a great Simpsons show.

Overall, this episode is a solid, emotional, hilarity show balled into one. In just a few words, I’m sure that you will love this episode as it is truly spectacular.

A+ - 5/5

I found this one to be exelent! A perfect Lisa story with some great gags on the way.

One think I notice.... We actually don't see Simpsons meeting their family out side of Patty & Selma + Grandpa + Agnes on ocasion + Herbert twice. They appear to not have any other relatives but then there is the ending of this episode. It would be nice if their would actually meet some new cousins ect. in One of episode...

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

How is Agnes related to The Simpsons at all?

DAMM IT! I ment Marge's mother... Jacqueline. I propably was thinking she's named Agnes beacose they are a bit simillar...
    DAM IT! What a error...

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

A beautiful ending to the classic era, with a well executed story and likable 3-dimensional Lisa portrayl. Could have been done with a better subplot, but I am able to overlook the zaniness of it for the most part. Could have worked as a series finale. 5/5
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

Excellent episode for the season, the end with all the Simpsons is perfect. A

It is a good episode, in the fact that it is quite a realistic emotional scenario. But some parts were quite grim, such as Lisa's attitude towards her families stupidity and the fact that the Simpsons gene exists.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it's great but I always feel like it's missing something. I don't actually think the subplot should have been scrapped, because it was fairly short and let's face it, Lisa's conflict can only stretch so far and I thought her A plot was a pretty perfect length. But still, something is lacking and I'm not sure what. I'm pretty sure it's not humour, or the "Simpson" gene thing though (I generally don't care about continuity. Obviously you want it a level of it, which every episode has, but do people really care about HOMR or Herb clashing with this? Don't let continuity get in the way of a good story).

Maybe the subplot? I just didn't find that very interesting. Also Lisa's plot was lacking that special something. I loved the "splendid" ending though, and her characterisation, but I think an episode focusing pretty much solely on one character is always gunna be difficult to execute (though Homer did play a part near the end). For the most part this did it excellently but I still feel that special something was missing. Still, A-

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty Good, but also Pretty Overrated

'Lisa the Simpson' is an episode that receives a fair bit of love. It is often cited as Season 9's best. I disagree. It's a great episode, but it is overrated, and there are better Season 9 episodes - 'The Cartridge Family', 'The City of New York Vs Homer Simpson' and a few others. I regard 'Lisa's Sax' as the best Lisa episode of the season (though in actuality, it is a mixture of a Lisa and a Bart episode).

This episode is quite funny. The first funny joke I can think of was Homer dancing along to Lisa badly playing the sax. I don't know why, but I found his movements funny. The Troy McClure educational film, was funny as always. Not as great as the Meat Council video from 'Lisa the Vegetarian' though. Also, Lisa imagining herself in the future provided some laughs. Future Ralph was great, and even in the brief time he was on screen, he managed to be a lot funnier than future Ralph in 'Bart to the Future'. I also find it funny that Lisa suddenly has a Southern, 'trailer-trash' accent. I've noticed an accent change in both Bart and Lisa when they imagine a fat version of their future selves ('I wash myself with a raaaaag on a stick'). That's all for humour in the main plot. The subplot, although somewhat odd, was funny. Jasper's intentions were humourous, and so was the freak show Kwik-e Mart. I love the line 'Moon Pie; what a time to be alive.' Then again, most things said by Jasper are funny.

The idea of the episode was interesting and original. It does tackle an issue that many sometimes worry about in their life, paticularly during education - 'Am I becoming dumber?' Whilst I could empathise with Lisa to a certain extent, I'm not sure that I felt too much sympathy. I felt myself agreeing in a way with Homer and Bart. Lisa saying that she didn't want to end up like Bart or Homer, directly to their faces was kind of hurtful to them. At least in 'Lisa's Substitute', when she called Homer a baboon, her anger with him was justified, and she did apologise. At the end of the episode, when she said she was proud that she was a Simpson, it felt kind of hollow to me. She wasn't really proud, just grateful that she wasn't male. I know this is kind of pedantic, but it felt a tad sexist that all the male Simpsons were doomed to be failures. What about Herb? Also, with Bart, is his future as chief justice of the supreme court taken to be canon? If so, he certaintly isn't a failure. I know obviously he isn't going to be anywhere as succesful as Lisa in the future, but I didn't really like the episode having - 'Yep, you're gonna fail'. In fact, I didn't really like the concept of the Simpson's gene full stop. The subplot? Whilst it was the funniest part of the episode, it had nothing to do with the main plot, and just felt like it was filling up time that could have been spent on the main plot. It just felt out of place.

Overall, 'Lisa the Simpson' is a good episode. However, it does not deserve the praise it often gets. I liked it more upon rewatching than previous watches, but I doubt I will ever love it. Good, but it isn't the best of Season 9.

4/5
    Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

I honestly see no problems with the sub plot. It does its job as sub plot. It provides goofy zaniness to an episode that has a more slow character based main plot. It doesn't attempt to overtake the main plot and it doesn't take away from it(see Realty Bites for an example of that) I mean if the sub plot wasn't funny then it would be a problem but it's hilarious. Of course it doesn't stack up to sub plots of episodes such as Bart Sells His Soul where the sub plot has a deeper meaning that relates to the main plot.

My one gripe with this near perfect episode is the fact that they changed Bart's characterization or stretched a negative of his characterization for one episode. I just feel that doing that never works (see Homer Goes to College/My Sister My Sitter etc). They have to push it to the extreme just for a simplistic foil. It's offending to Bart's character because we all know how complex his character is. Lisa's Sub is a great example of how the show can properly use foils with Bergstrom and Homer.

Do you seriously think that Bart being a judge really has any impact on future episodes? The show has very little continuity so i don't see why you would think that. But I do feel the Simpson gene is just too easy of a way out though. But we all knew it wouldn't have any impact of future episodes anyway because of the shows flexible continuity and reverting to the status quo every episode.

Above all that Lisa's story is just too great for this episode to be anything lower than an A grade from me. It's probably one of the best looks at Lisa character and her conflicts with her family/school/the town. Plus it's chalk full of hilarious gags.

Definite top 30 episode(I used to have this episode in my top ten but it's slipped to 16th) : A

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I too do think the Simpsons gene is an easy way out but it doesn't bother me; it (to me) purely exists just to make Lisa doubt herself, it doesn't really matter. Plus as said the show's continuity is wafer thin, so I can't understand why anyone would think it applies to other episodes, or take it seriously. It just exists for this very good story of Lisa in a crisis, which is executed very well.

Also, regarding Lisa confronting Homer and Bart, I agree it probably comes off as a bit harsh initially but I think it's pretty justified when you think about it. Lisa's intelligence is very important to her (as expressed during her TV broadcast) and when she says "I don't want to turn out like you", I don't see it as a personal attack directed at Bart and Homer (though it is worded like that), but her expressing her fear of losing her smarts. Homer and Bart's candy/sofa situation pushed her over the edge and I just think she expressed her fear/anger out on them unintentionally. Of course it would have been nice if she had apologised (realising she may have come across as rude) or something but I think as it stands it's okay.

A season 9 highlight. Oakley and Weinstein's last hurrah, and I think they nailed it.
    Amusing if throwaway Frostillicus b-story gives us most of the laughs, while Lisa's A-story brings the emotion.
    For me, the Simpson Gene works as a one-off episode idea like HOMR.
    Not a very quotable episode, but there are many great visual gags and sequences to make up for it.

Best Quotes:

Ms. Hoover: Very nice, Janie. Good use of pipe cleaners, Becky. DON'T open it Ralph!
    I'll just give you a C-.

Grampa: Oh no, no. No! The George Raft look is dead! I wanted Audie Murphy.
    (...)
    Grampa: Maybe you're just a lousy cook. Ow!
    Marge: I'll go get the Bactine.

Apu: Behold, the Can of Mystery! The label vanished many years ago. What strange wonders lie inside? Treasure? Dog food?

Lisa: Oh Kenny, Look at the interplay between light and shadow. It's so luminous and vibrant.
    Kenny: Oh, thanks Lisa. I painted that one. The real one's in my garage.

Man: Sounds like she's hitting a baby with a cat.
    Lisa: You have to listen to the notes she's not playing.
    Man: I can do that at home.

Jasper: By gum, it worked. I've awakened in the future. Moon Pie. What a time to be alive.
    Apu: Return to your state of living death at once, Sir!
    Jasper: Is that you Apu? Whoa! Time has ravaged your once youthful looks.

Lisa: I am! I'm strongly opposed to Proposition 305.
    Station Manager: You're against discount bus fares for War Widows?
    Lisa: Uh, you bet I am.
    Station Manager: OK. Make-up!

Lisa: I'm supposed to talk to you about Proposition 305..
    Homer: Mooching War Widows.

Homer: Marge, get me your address book, 4 beers, and my Conversation Hat.

Highlights include Ralph's project, Apu's novelty pens (Oh no! Her clothes are coming off!), Homer dancing to Lisa's off-key sax playing, Bart's homework grades, Troy Mclure genetics film, Apu's Freak-E-Mart (later Nude-E-Mart), When buildings collapse, The Offensive Ballcap(show me your t- Hey!), Lisa's future fantasy, and the many pathetic Simpson men.
    Last edited by hutz; 05-08-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Behold, the Edit of Mystery!

Blog Entries

Time travelers discount?

Come on in!

Quote Originally Posted by al and mike View Post
    and my Conversation Hat.

This episode was very enjoying. I'm surprised that how that frozen man revived. Simpson men's toss-a-pan-head game was priceless!

Blog Entries

The very first 5/5, considering every episode prior to this season had one, you can clearly tell that it was done by, who else, Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein. So really, this episode shouldn't even really count. Should also mention previous ones with high ratings were also holdovers from BO&JW.

my least favourite of season 9.

Blog Entries

Almost every episode's my least favorite, man.

damn.

This is one of my favourite episodes to date. I am a HUGE fan of Oakley/Weinstein episodes, and they are definitely amongst my preferred writers who have worked on the series. This episode really plays on Lisa and the dread she feels when she believes she will end up like Homer and Bart. The concept of the 'Simpson gene' may have continuity issues, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter as it was a quality show. It was a very sweet episode, and is definitely one of the more 'classics'. Also, I always enjoy the gag of Lisa being married to Ralph, saying "Get Momma's prying bar." Would definitely watch this episode voluntarily! A

I didn't like it nearly as much as I did when I last watched it years ago. I do feel for Lisa, but she comes off as overly unsympathetic to me and in the end she doesn't properly apologize for being unkind to her family. And the subplot was pretty meh for me.

Favorite lines: "I'm trying to get fired" & "Complicated Surgery at the Invasive Care Clinic."

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chinese smoke View Post
    my least favourite of season 9.
    You prefer The Principal and the Pauper and All Singing, All Dancing?

i sure do.

'Umm I shoot birds at the airport !'

Wonderfully funny episode which also is a strong Lisa episode, and the Freak-E-Mart subplot is hilarious 'Apu is that you ? Time has ravaged your once youthful looks' !

5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    How did it muck it up? The Simpson gene is probably Grampa Simpson's ramblings, and Scully was never one for continuity
    HOMR is a great episode and it didn't ruin this one

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I don't really like the subplot, but the main plot is great. My biggest problem with it is that it contradicts Lisa's Sax (at least), but continuity has been neglected so much that that is hardly an issue. Also, it has always bothered me that Dr. Simpson doesn't speak up sooner. 7/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not as great as i remembered but still very very good. 9.5/10

Thread Information