• 2/5

4 2.22%
  • 1/5

6 3.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R Lisa the Simpson

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

4/5, a good episode.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Tougher! Rougher! Badder! I Love Lisa's Avatar

THis is about as good as it gets for me. Definitly the best of season 9 by a long long shot and also one of my very favorite episodes ever if not my favorite. A perfect episode for Oakley/Wienstein to bow out on and symbolises the end of the classic era for me. Season 9 was pretty good but after this there'd never be another one quite up to classic standards (except maybe Simpson Tide) things like Lost Our Lisa later in the season were great but not quite up there.

The epsode is pure class all the way, a great A-story balanced out by a hilarious B-story. You really feel for Lisa throughout and shes characterised wonderfully. Aside from all the brilliant emotional bits, the A-story had it's hilarious moments as well, when buildings fall down, "come on Lisa join your family" etc. Then to balance out a really sweet emotional, story-driven A-plot where you really care about the character, you get a hilarious B-plot where you just have a good laugh. The can of mystery, the offensive cap, Frostillicus, Nude-E-Mart etc. It's all priceless.

A brilliant end to the greatest show on earth after which it would become one of the most pretty good shows on earth. An absolute tour de force! A+++

do the bartman!

this episode gets my top grade. 5/5
    Season 6 rocks!

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

Top 3 of season 9 if not number 1. A great way to end a great showrunning career for Bill and Josh. I always found this episode to have an incredibly intriguing plot. The idea that Lisa might lose the thing that most makes her her. There's plenty of humor in there to keep me laughing throughout the episode, and that's not including the subplot, which is an immensely entertaining, fun, and hilarious subplot giving a little unusual exposure to a hilarious minor character, Jasper. Pretty much everything about this episode works and even had a little emotional punch at times. Definitely a 5/5

not black mozart chocolatey socrates's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I rated 4/5 but i wish i'd said 5/5, an extremely good episode with a hilarious unrelated subplot. I loved the bit where homer rounded up his relatives "I step in front of cars and sue the drivers". This was a wierd joke to me because when i was really little i used to think it said "i step in front of cars and shoot the drivers" wich would have been dodgy.

Not an Al Jean butt-kisser TerrorK's Avatar

I never understood the praise this episode recieved to be honest. I personally found it to be the worst of Season 9, and that includes The Principal and the Pauper, which makes it rather odd considering it isn't even a Scully episode.

The main reason is I thought the whole idea of a Simpson Gene was just stupid, right up there with Crayon Brain and Nerd Sweat from Scully. The concept was just totally unbelievable, and is simplified both Bart and Homer and seemed to totally screw with continuity. This is especially bad regarding Bart, as it almost seems to give a reason for him becoming the total dumbass he's become now, instead of the smar-alek kid who just wasn't quite too bright when it came to school, but was still deviously clever and brilliant when he put his mind into something he enjoyed.

Not only was the whole concept stupid and character-damaging, but the show itself wasn't really that clever or funny. I think Troy's "Someone's in the Kitchen with DNA" was about the only really funny part to be honest. There were some other semi-amusing moments, but overall a disappointment even in the humour stakes. I seriously can't see why this is considered to be a good episode, and would have to say it's probably even beaten HOMЯ as the most overrated show now, IMO.

Grade: B-

Note: Keep in mind, the grade may appear not too bad, but to be fair it's still a better episode than almost everything from the following seasons. If the show had ended on the 9th Season, it probably would have been a D.
    - Kenneth White

"Even if The Simpsons is better than 95% of everything else on TV, that doesn't automatically make it good."

Quote Originally Posted by TerrorK
    I never understood the praise this episode recieved to be honest. I personally found it to be the worst of Season 9, and that includes The Principal and the Pauper, which makes it rather odd considering it isn't even a Scully episode.

The main reason is I thought the whole idea of a Simpson Gene was just stupid, right up there with Crayon Brain and Nerd Sweat from Scully. The concept was just totally unbelievable, and is simplified both Bart and Homer and seemed to totally screw with continuity. This is especially bad regarding Bart, as it almost seems to give a reason for him becoming the total dumbass he's become now, instead of the smar-alek kid who just wasn't quite too bright when it came to school, but was still deviously clever and brilliant when he put his mind into something he enjoyed.

Not only was the whole concept stupid and character-damaging, but the show itself wasn't really that clever or funny. I think Troy's "Someone's in the Kitchen with DNA" was about the only really funny part to be honest. There were some other semi-amusing moments, but overall a disappointment even in the humour stakes. I seriously can't see why this is considered to be a good episode, and would have to say it's probably even beaten HOMЯ as the most overrated show now, IMO.

Grade: B-

Actually I very much agree with you as far as the concept goes. I was never a big fan of the episode and have always thought it was overrated. But while the concept of the episode is stupid and forced I cannot deny that it is a well-executed episode, with pathos for Lisa and while the humor isn't super in terms of quality of quantity it is still good.

Weakest Lisa episode of the classice era, but for me, it's gets an B+/A-

NHC's Resident Lisa Kyoya Otori's Avatar

I used to love this episode, and I still do, but I've realized that it could have had some more jokes in it. However, I love the a-story, and the b-story is pretty funny, too. Great Lisa episode, but it could have been better, and is overrated. 4/5

It's a good episode imo, because Lisa isn't one of my favorite characters it's not a great episode for me.
    The B-plot with Jasper is a also a funny story. 4/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

I survived the Monorail TerwilligerBob's Avatar

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but here goes.

First of all, let me say that this episode was in essense very good. The plot and premise was one of the best ever, with loads of meaning behind it. The subplot as well was hilarious, and I loved the introduction of the "Simpson Gene". However, for me, this episode is a huge, flashing warning sign of the show's demise. Lisa's characterization throughout is well-excecuted for the most part, full of pathos and helplessness as she finds her most cherished trait threatened, and fear of losing all that it dear to her by way of a ruined mind. But in spite of this, it is immensly disturbing to realize that the only reason she was consoled was because she found out she wouldn't become stupid. Otherwise, she would've been just as bitter as she was at the beginning. I know this sounds stupid, but when I saw it the first time, I was absolutely, and I mean absolutely sure that the episode would turn out with Homer trying to apologize for giving her the gene, and Lisa realizing that it doesn't matter if Homer made her stupid because he loves her. It's almost ridiculous now to think about how sure I was that this was going to happen, In, fact, I was almost saying "Soooo predictable...". Yes the end was excellent, but the fact that Lisa only cheered up because of that was downright chilling. Conditional love, and no acceptance of her family, or of herself as a Simpson. Just like the "Lisa"-character that appears in recent years.

Also, this is a very small point, but for some reason it shocked me immensely. The Simpsons has always had that person who gives a "random word of advice". It can be anyone, from a Simpson, to a minor or supporting character, to a completely random one-off. Sometimes it's even by accident. But this oft-appearing plot device stands out as both a humorous cliche and a spark of sincerity among all the self-serving, moronic, could-care-less people that populate Springfield. In this episode, this word of advise comes in the form of a poor violinist at the jazz club Lisa says goodbye to. Lisa tells her that she "really got through" to her with her music, and she tells Lisa that she's glad, because you should say what you feel is special to the whole world. Almost Bergstrom-esque. But Lisa, inspired, runs off, and the violinist remarks "Damn. That felt like a sale."

I don't know why, but that really, really bothered me. It stung very badly, mainly because it was so unexpected, but it was really just a giant "Fuck you" to the consistent message that there are some things worthwhile in the world, which comes up in the Simpsons a lot. I may be a huge minority in this view, but damn, that line makes me angry every time I hear it. All in all, because of the great plot and the high quality of the main part of the episode, it gets a 4/5.
    "Attention Duelists!"

the original Sex Pistol

A 4/5 for me.

Banned

I give this episode a 5/5 for me. season 9 was one of the pure golden seasons,i did like the episode lisa the simpson.

Blog Entries

It was an interesting plot with many funny jokes ruined by a lousy and predictable ending. I would take a HOMR's explanation over this anyday. 3/5

The best part was when the buildings fell down. Solid episode with hilarious moments and a nice fun B story to go along with the very good A story.

3.5 rounded to a 4/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

A rather bland episode, getting a 2/5.

Good season 9 episode. My only complaint would be how I don't think it's fair for Bart to be considered an idiot. It's fine as a one-off joke but I wouldn't take the revelation of the episode too seriously. 4/5

I bought the season 9 DVD mainly for this episode (and well the last of the Oakley and Weinstein era). I think it's a touching episode without being too sappy. I think it's funny as hell (all of Simpson men's "careers", Bart and Homer running into each other with the pans on their heads). The only things I don't like is like what Nauru-1 said that Bart is made to look like an idiot and the fact that Lisa really thinks she's better than Homer and Bart. I can understand Bart saying in the heat of anger that he would like to "dance on Lisa's grave." However this one really leaves me with a good feeling. Possibly the best out of season 9...though that's not really saying much.

4.5/5

King of the world

I love Lisa-centric episodes and this one was no exception. The emotional arc of the episode was well done and really got though to me and made me feel her inner pain and struggle and really made me root for Lisa. It was without a doubt a fine episode, but also an important one, because it ignited hope, a light at the end of the tunnel for Lisa and all of that was greatly executed and presented, so hats of to Scully on this one and Yeardley of course, who gave a fantastic performance.

4/5
    Last edited by Sideshow Blinky; 10-11-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Not bad, not super great, 4/5 is what i give it

Flim Springfield

The story seems to be better then the humour in this episode. I have no problem with that though.

4/5.
    Yo!

Fruit Punch Advisory Board ehsteve14's Avatar

I do love a good Lisa episode, and there wouldn't be very many after this... so I'd say with this one, the O&W era ends very well, doing what they did best. An excellent character study of the Simpson dynamic, with Lisa doubting her place in the family. Yeah, she'd done that already, but I like how they did it this time.

4/5
    I've had it up to here with these rickets!
    ----

Blog Entries

This episode delivered a lot of laughs and was also fairly emotional. So many great moments that I forgot. When Buildings Collapse" on FOX was one of the best parts, it could easily be from the classic era.

Homer: I rounded up every Simpson in the tri-city area so I can prove to
    you there's nothing wrong with the Simpson genes. This is your
    great uncle Chet. Go ahead, Chet. Tell her what you do.
    Chet: I run an unsuccessful shrimp company.
    Homer: [Nervous] Oh.. but you.. RUN it.. right?
    Chet: OH yeah.
    Homer: Okay.. uh.. this is your second cousin, Stanley!
    Stanley: Um.. I shoot birds at the airport.

Another great moment. Overall it was funny, had a decent plotline and used every character to it's best. A

I'm surprised of the great love for this episode.

Although it had a few amusing quality and it was vying for the "sweet" angle.

I don't really find it that affecting, though it is definitely rememorable and for that it gets a 3/5 from me.

Banned

a sexist episode. I hated it

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

My 5th or 6th favourite episode of all time. Very underrated episode. The pinnacle of season 9. A+

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amr diab View Post
    a sexist episode. I hated it
    Post made me LOL, gets a thumbs up

I didn't like this episode, but for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
    because continuity like that isn't important.
    Yeah geeze haven't you seen that 90's show?

Anywho. Very average episode for me. B-

Blog Entries

4/5
    I think that it's a great episode, with a funny yet sad story. You just have to feel sorry for Homer though- He tried so hard to cheer Lisa up, but almost failed.

The best one from season 9. I love it, and congrats to Oakley & Weinstein for doing such a great episode.

5/5

Blog Entries

A good episode. 4/5

Thread Information