2 1.05%

3 1.58%

31 16.32%

152 80.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: R/R Flaming Moe's

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

weird how the writers dropped stuff from seasons 3 & 4 like "eye on springfield" , "scott christian channel 2 news" and random mcbain movie bits.

I'm not sure if it's been said before but I don't think the episode starting with another tv show being aired on the simpsons tv is that good. not that it matters, this episode rocks

another note: moe was such a better character back then. he wasn't some absolute loser, he actually managed to bed a lady in this episode

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insecthero View Post
    I forget, was this the first time we see how desperate and man-hungry Mrs. Krabappel is?
    No, it wasn't. Remember how she flirted with Mr. Bergstrom in Lisa's Substitute?
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodfella View Post
    weird how the writers dropped stuff from seasons 3 & 4 like "eye on springfield" , "scott christian channel 2 news" and random mcbain movie bits.
    Actually, they had an Eye on Springfield segment as late as Season 14.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

5/5 The greatness of multiple level jokes at many levels of situations done by Classic Era Simps.

5/5. One of my all-time favorites and still has me laughing out loud whenever I watch it.

I post here (sometimes) Ben Dewison's Avatar

Flaming Moe’s

Communication: The mystery drink was just about plausible, considering we only knew of the cough syrup and fire. However, it might’ve seemed less revolting if that ‘secret ingredient’ wasn’t actually revealed to us, as it would’ve both served the same purpose in the story and been as distinct from reality as intended. Although establishing Moe’s guilt would be tough for an average struggling family and a corrupt lawyer, his direct claim that he created the drink would amount to fraud by false representation, as it was in order to gain customers and money. Homer’s unrelenting anger seemed fitting though, since he had lost his moment in the spotlight, his friends and his drinking spot, depriving him of practically all his interests. Also, the satire on temptation by fame and riches worked well for once, as Moe seemed entirely oblivious of Homer’s potential threat throughout, making it clear that living in a temporary paradise can cause you to lose sight of reality. 5/8

Insight: Although the parodies weren’t particularly memorable, there were plenty of amusing moments which prevented the plot feeling too malicious. Noteworthy examples included ‘Flaming Moe’s’ day already being Veterans’ day, the class’s scorn at Bart’s assertion that Homer made the drink and Moe’s customers taking his ‘blood and sweat’ remark literally. Seeing both Homer and Moe being hugely impressed by the drink at first taste, on separate occasions, also helped make the escalating popularity of the bar believable. This might not seem important, but the essence of most good subtle comedy is that it flows seamlessly from a story the audience are already compelled with. The subplot at the beginning was also fun and helped establish Homer’s reliance on the bar to escape the mundanity of life, making his emotions later on more believable. 3/4

Technique: Moe’s sleazy bartender character was drawn out well. His character poked fun at the traditional bartender role in that he knew very little about alcoholic drinks beyond serving the beer that comes out of a tap, but the bar’s emptiness and loneliness also established that he hadn’t had a break in life. This made his character more likeable when selling out Homer, since he couldn’t pass up an overwhelming once in a lifetime opportunity at fame. Homer’s anger was also quite similar to that shown in Dead Putting Society, while Bart’s failed prank call was a lovely touch. 2/2

Consistency: The inclusion of one sole significant plot facilitated the focus and development of the emotions of every vested party throughout. The focus on Homer and Moe’s emotions were handled expertly throughout, as every scene was dedicated towards them learning a new development about each other, especially because the jokes came effortlessly from the conflict. This ensured that Homer’s stunt at the end felt appropriate, as he’d tried claiming the drink was his, politely trying to get through to Moe, finding a new drinking space and imposing legal barriers, each to no avail. 1/1

Total: 11/15 or 4/5. A highly amusing and enjoyable conflict which successfully laid down foundations for Moe Szyslak. There were flaws but they were mostly nitpicks.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This is the best episode of all time, its damn near perfect as an episode can be.

The slumber party really gets the story going, the main problem is great, I loved the Aerosmith appearance, and I like the way Homer reveals the secret ingredient. I really like the jokes here ("Thats it i'm outta here") and I also love Moes characterisation.

11/10

Junior Camper

Most people think this episode is great...... and they're right! It's perfect. There's very little to say really. I think I'm hitting the point in the series' run where it's just classic after classic. It gives you little to discuss and the praise you're heaping onto the show is basically the same every episode. Great jokes, great writing, perfect comedic timing, likable characters, great references, great use of guest stars. Episodes like this are what made the Simpsons the cultural icon it is today. I guess the only fault is that Moe is a jerk to his only friend for no reason. We're given little motivation for why he stabs Homer in the back and steals his drink. I just find it slightly jarring because back then Moe hadn't yet been established as the deplorable human being he is today, but then you can argue that this episode helped establish that.

0/10 ...Oh by the way, I was being sarcastic

Real grade: 9.5/10 ...Well, duh

This episode was my very first exposure to Aerosmith, I didn't become a fan of the group until 2005 when fate and a trip to a bowling alley that happened to have the coin-op version of Revolution X, but that's a story for another day, well long story short by the end of the night I felt the same way Homer felt when he was brought back to the hotel in Kill the Alligator and Run. Good this it was a holiday weekend. I kind of wish they waited a year to do the episode Judge Me Tender so that Steven Tyler could guest star again (because let's face it, he was the only reason I even watched American Idol in 2011 and 2012)

This is basically the very first episode that centered around Moe (or rather it's a Moe episode but Moe was in the Moejority of it......yeah went there) but until this episode he was just a side character as being a sympathetic ear to Homer and a target of Bart's crank calls. Though this is also the very first episode where we can see what kind of a sleazebag Moe can be. But I do have positive things to say about this classic era episode, who doesn't get nostalgic hearing the Eye On Springfield opening sequence, I revisited Strong Arms of Ma this morning, and it makes me wish we would see that opening in the HD era even if you have to mix classic and current animation with it
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Thread Information