3 1.58%

31 16.32%

152 80.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R/R Flaming Moe's

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's very enjoyable but I seriously cannot see how some people consider this the best of the series. Whilst there's nothing majorly wrong with the episode, there's nothing particularly outstanding either. It's just a nicely told story. Not perfect however - personally, I didn't find this that funny, though there were funny moments, and the beginning with the girls at the slumber party was pretty boring. But Moe was nicely done and I liked the song as well.

Solid episode, but it's not spectacular.

B/B+

5/5 I really like this episode. It has a lot of great jokes, however I have to agree that I think Moe was far too mean in it. The least he could have done was to agree to give Homer his fair share of the profits of the business instead of taking it all for himself.

Banned

Epic episode. Perfect balance of hilarious - including Bart being hunted down by Lisa and her friends - and a great cameo from Aerosmith. Just simply a Simpsons classic and it never gets old. Hugh Jazz = Legend! 5/10, 10/10 and A +

Banned

p.s Jake you really need to rewatch these episodes because your ratings for simply flawless episodes are so harsh, i.e B/B+ for this one. I know it's all about opinions but still!

Blog Entries

No, you're too generous.

Banned

Not at all.

Blog Entries

Yup.

Banned

Nope. If you can't recognise greatness then that's your loss, The Cleveland show might be your cuppa tea.

Top notch episode. Everything clicks from the Eye On Springfield opening to the down to earth ending. Moe has never been more likable than he is in the final scene.

Best Quotes:
    Drederick Tatum: That town is a dump. If you ever see me back there, you know I really (bleeped) up bad.

Homer: That's it, I'm outta here.

Moe: Increased job satisfaction and family togetherness are poison for a purveyor of mind-numbing intoxicants, like myself.

Moe: Take it easy, Homer, I learned how to make other drinks at bartending school. Gin and ..tonic? Do they mix?

Selma: And this is Patty trying to plug her leg razor into one of those ungodly Czechoslovakian outlets. As you can see we never did get the hang of it.
    Bart: Ay Carumba!

Ms. Krabappel: Are those liquor bottles?
    Bart: I brought enough for everybody.

Professor Frink: The secret ingredient is..LOVE!! Who's been screwing with this thing!

(opens door)
    Bartender: Yeah, what do you want?! (shotgun raised)
    Homer: a beer
    Bartender: Okay then.

Marge: Well Homer, maybe you can take some consolation in the fact that something you created is making so many people happy.
    Homer: Ooh, look at me. I'm making people happy. I'm the Magical Man from Happyland, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane (slams door)
    Homer: Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.
    Marge: Well duh.

Highlights include the Cheers parody song, Bart's jinx, Hugh Jass, Lenny's hair catching fire, Homer's "new" watering hole, Lionel Hutz looking up the Wallbanger case, Homer and Marge's "sarcastic" conversation(Magical Man from Happyland), and Aerosmith's appearance. (one of the best musical guest cameos the show has ever had)
    Last edited by hutz; 01-07-2013 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Who's been screwing with this thing!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

This episode is rightly loved by most people.

One of my favourite episodes of all time. 10/10

Junior Camper

Absolute perfection. I think this is one of the episodes that epitomizes 100% what was great about the classic era. Really, everything just worked excellently here. This would have to be one of my favorite episodes ever.

5/5 and I'd rate it much higher if I could

One of my all-time favourites
    Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Do'h I thought this was "Flaming Moe", I thought "Flaming Moe's" was the season 21 one, 5/5 not 1/5

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

Not that great an episode really, some good jokes such as Homer's Moe hallicunation but glitchy animation that feels sped up for some reason, plus a boring song drags it down to 7.5.5/B

Original Version 5/5
    Recent remake or whatever it was 0/5

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I wouldn't call this one of the greatest episodes ever, but it is very funny. 8/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 10-29-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

One of the top 20 best Simpsons episodes of all time. Grade:A+

5/5

"Let's all go to Flaming Moe's, where Liquor in a mug...can warm you like a hug. Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away"

Blog Entries

Awesome episode, like everyone has already said, but it has arguably the most unrelated first act in the entire show. I don't mind this, but this is something that would have been criticized in the modern era, so why isn't it criticized here?

Classic season 3
    One of the best
    5/5

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    Awesome episode, like everyone has already said, but it has arguably the most unrelated first act in the entire show. I don't mind this, but this is something that would have been criticized in the modern era, so why isn't it criticized here?
    What are you nuts…"arguably the most unrelated first act in the entire show"? It's hardly unrelated. Lisa is having a slumber party and is fighting with Bart, and Homer, trying to watch TV, is distracted. As a result he leaves the house to get away. And it's inaccurate to call that the first act…that's about three minutes of act one. And what would you have the episode do, just merely start with Homer at Moe's? The writers decided to go the more involving route of having something that bugged Homer late at night to get him there. Sure they could have accomplished this in various ways, perhaps he was held late at work and had a bad day, perhaps he was dragged to a play by Marge which he hated, etc. The annoying slumber party was the route the writers took, and a good one at that.

And perhaps the most important thing to note is that the first few minutes of the episode are down to earth, and extremely naturalistic. It's like a small slice of life of any given American family, and it mines laughs out of that…having the girls acting like real girls, Bart acting like a real boy, and then having Homer react to it very much in character. Modern episodes don't do this…they'll have a whole 8 minute act of completely unrelated nonsense that will switch over on the most insignificant of details. They'll often do this AGAIN into act three. Consider an episode like "Husbands and Knives", where the plot veers in a completely different direction three different times, with very little logical progression. "Flaming Moe's" is absolutely nothing like that.

And for the record, I've always maintained a random first act isn't the worst thing in the world on occasion. The key word there is "occasion", and beyond that it has to have some sort of fluidity into the main plot, and it has to actually be FUNNY. These are things Modern Simpsons has absolutely zero grasp on.

Blog Entries

what i like:

-the flaming moe song

-the ending

-bart being terrorized by his sister and her friends

-Bart bringing in alcohol for show and tell and Mrs. K's response

decent episode. 4/5

Blog Entries

I think most modern first acts are just as funny. And I think Husbands and Knives has a more related first act than this episode. CBG shuts down his store due to the superior one across the street, and so Marge uses the location to open a gym. It seems pretty logical to me. This episode also had a funny first act, so I'm not complaining, I just find it rather random, with Homer suddenly saying that he's going to Moe's after everything that happened.

How in gods name is CBG shutting down his store even remotely related to Marge wanting to suddenly open a shop? Just because there's a an open property all of the sudden? And the worst part is they make it seem like the first act with the new comic book shop is going to be the plot of the episode, but it veers wildly into a Marge story, then veers wildly into a Homer story. It's awful writing in every sense of the word., and just atrocious story structure.

And once again, the opening scenes to "Flaming Moe's" do not constitute a whole act, it's a few brief scenes (it's like saying, gee, this episode opens with the Simpsons sitting on their couch, but the episode wasn't about them sitting on their couch. How unrelated!). By the end of act one the story of Moe stealing Homers drink and it becoming popular is in full gear, and therefore the show has two more acts to flesh it out and give it proper attention.

And, no the shows hasn't been funny in years, so as a result the random first acts stand out more and feel especially arbitrary, meandering, and poorly conceived.

Now "Dog Of Death" is a better example of a more extreme random first act from the classic years…but even then the seeds for the story were being laid out with the glimpses of SLH shown being sick, and it also helps to establish the Simpsons money woes.

Blog Entries

To each their own I guess

I guess, but that's mainly for humor...from a purely analytical view of the story structure you're wrong.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Overrated, but still decent. 3/5

10/10. Just a great all around episode with loads of laughs and a great storyline. This episode is an perfect example of how creative the writers were capable of being. The feud between homer and more was classic as was sarcastic homer arguing with midge in the bedroom. The Lisa sleepover scene was also hilarious. Great guest appearances by Mr hutz and lent brockman. Also can't forget them spoofing the show cheers. Very creative all around

5/5

Thread Information