• 2/5 I've been hawking jewelry since I've been 12

2 1.55%
  • 1/5 what about daddy-daughter!

3 2.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R Lisa the Greek

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I survived the Monorail TerwilligerBob's Avatar

A really nice episode. Not the best Homer/Lisa one, but still very good, especially near the end. Bart's present ("Shut up! Shut up! Go to hell! Shut up! Kiss my butt!") had me screaming with laughter. 4.5/5
    "Attention Duelists!"

Quote Originally Posted by ToHellWithNeddy View Post
    Well, that's the best excuse you can have. Sorry, I didn't mean that.
    HEY I didn't even knew Euro untill Greece won it on 2004 and everyone was celebrating! So give me a break!
    Thanks
    long days and pleasant nights to you

the original Sex Pistol

No probs

I just re-watched this episode and I thought that it was really good, it also obviously shows the greatness of Season 3. There is some genuinely funny moments and gags in the episode and the Homer/Lisa bonding plot is a winner. Even though the episode was not a real laugh fest, it's still a really good outing; also, Bart's present was really amusing (I wonder if such a thing exist in real life.)

4.5/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 12-31-2009 at 02:19 AM.

Season 3 was one of the best seasons and episodes like these make it that way. Really enjoyed this episode as Homer and Lisa 'bonded' over the football games. Good storyline and great ending. Another 5/5

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: LavRoc

A fantastic Homer/Lisa episode. It's great how the episode really builds towards the inevitable conflict between them, I've always felt that Homer wasn't really aware that he was using Lisa and felt they were genuinely bonding, though he was certainly being callous. It led to a predictable but satisfying ending with the whole "I still love you/I don't love you" angle, which included the great "What have you got riding on this game?/My daughter!/What a gambler!" exchange. Bart's gift still cracks me up to this day as well. 5/5
    A little less Generic than before.

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

not bad for a homer/lisa story, 4/5

one of my favorites....the Smooth Jimmy Apollo character was hilarious (parody of Jimmy the Greek) and his "I am right 52% of the time" is classic as any sports gambler would understand.

Also when Lisa is telling everyone in class the best day of her life ("the Saints kicked a meaningless field goal to cover the spread") Very funny.

And Moe was the bookie! Classic. Very clever.

Blog Entries

Great underrated classic

Also notably for having Sam the Barfly's only lines in the entire series!

5/5, A
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morris Szyslak View Post
    As good as all the Homer-Lisa episodes. 10/10.
    Duh. I think I should extend my comment a bit more.

This is a great episode, underrated because of the comparisons with Lisa's Substitute or Lisa's Pony, two more consolidated episodes in the general view of NHC. I think it's actually better than these two in the aspect of the relationship between Homer and Lisa. The characterizations at the three episodes are great, but in Lisa's Substitute it is only discussed from the second/third act on and Lisa's Pony is not really a conflict between both characters. Lisa The Greek is the only one from these that works completely in the Homer-Lisa relationship.

And, that said, I think it's the best episode based on that. Lisa is greatly-depicted here and Homer has a jerk attitude that, far from being negative, gives a main responsibility to Lisa in the mainteinance of the relationship that will be specially dramatic when she realizes his plans. I like how they find a common interest, how it is narrated and developed and finally how Lisa finds out that about Homer.

The conflict could have been solved in a cheesy and idiotic way, like in Homer's Night Out, but it was actually strengthened by a great script. The "I don't know if I still love you" dilemma was developed with mastery using the bet as a fundamental part, and it really moved Homer.

So, 10/10 for me, although it's not one of the funniest (but Marge and Bart buying clothes gave lots of laughs). A top5 characterization for Lisa.
    Last edited by jal90; 03-19-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Blog Entries

5/5, classic i loved everything about this

Needs attention Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I change my grade from a 4 to a 5. Just a gem. Anyone who doesn't think that should park their keister in front of that screen and not stop watching it until they change their mind. I can totally relate to Bart's feelings when Marge is buying him clothes. (My mom used to do the same to me.)
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: LavRoc

Great episode. I wasn't sold on whether to give it a 4 or a 5, even though I just recently watched it. Great heart and Lisa is very well-characterized here. My only hesitation is just that the scenes with the betting are fairly numerous but I guess that was needed to show just how successful Lisa was at picking the winners. Minor complaint though and I'm probably just nitpicking. I'll go with a high 4/5 for now.

I like homer/lisa episodes, 4.5 / 5
    "The kids these days, they think comedy is dirty words. It's not, it's words that sound dirty, like Muckluck!"

- Krusty The Klown

I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

4/5

A nice Lisa and Homer bonding episode, it also continues the good run of season 3, so it gets a solid 4.5/5

5/5, and if you don't like this episode I will fight you .

I love Homer and Lisa episodes, and this is the best one. There's some funny stuff in here involving the gambling ("this is my shoe-in of the week" "ooh that is a big shoe," and who can forget when Homer calls the betting hotline, and the guy talks so slowly that Homer finishes his sentences), but the emotional stuff in here is what makes it great. If you're heart didn't break when Homer chooses bowling over Lisa ("but it's daddy daughter day")...well then I don't even know what to say to you.

This episode is an example of what made the show great. It's funny, it's emotional, it's real...I mean, this is the total package. One of my all-time favorites.

Out of the entire Show, I've never seen one episode after Lisa The Greek that managed to show the Lisa/Homer relationship in a better way. The ending is very emotional because of the wonderful drawings at the top of Mount Springfield. The ending in this episode sort of reminds me of the ending in Mother Simpson where Homer is sitting on his car watching the stars. I also really enjoyed seeing Moe's temper go over board in this episode. His personality really comes out well when Lisa is constantly helping Homer out on the betting.

The B story isn't all that bad but it isn't anything particualrly special either: Marge taking Bart to the mall to get new clothes. It was amusing when Marge handed over so many clothes for Bart to try on that we couldn't even see him anymore and the Sherri and Terri giggling was okay.

4.75/5

Banned

Fantastic. 5/5 or 9/10

Blog Entries

Great episode Homer&Lisa. 4.5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Gums Murphy View Post
    Fantastic. 5/5 or 9/10
    how come sometimes a 5/5 equates to a 9/10 and others it equates to a 10/10? 5/5 is perfect, wouldn't 9/10 be a mark less then perfect?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joe miller View Post
    how come sometimes a 5/5 equates to a 9/10 and others it equates to a 10/10? 5/5 is perfect, wouldn't 9/10 be a mark less then perfect?
    9/10 would become 4.5/5 and therefore I'd give it a 5. If you want me to break it down even further I would give it 9.4/10 or 4.7/5 so yes it's a 5/5 for me. Hope you understand.

Blog Entries

i was just wondering because 5/5= A/A+/A- and is usually an A+, meaning it is perfect. so i get confused when i see a 5/5 and then i see a 9/10, which wouldn't mean perfect. but yea, that reasoning makes sense. thanks

Banned

No problem.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Great Homer/Lisa episode. Grade: A

5/5

One of my favorites from Season 3

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: LavRoc

Junior Camper

Great episode! 5/5! I actually think it's kind of underrated...

I always liked the ending, where Homer and Lisa eventually go hiking like Lisa wanted. Plus, the episode has some great jokes in it!

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: LavRoc

9/10 really enjoyed this episode.
    Last edited by okely dokely; 07-16-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Rewatching this reminds me just how little actually happens in this episode. Homer and Lisa bond, and Bart goes involuntarily clothes shopping. I think by this stage in the shows history, we were dying for a good Lisa and Homer episode, Lisa's Pony was great but didn't closely examine the relationship between them. Here we see Lisa recognise the huge chasm between herself and Homer, and try to bridge the gap. Of course Homer takes time to warm to letting Lisa watching the game with him until he realises she has a gift for gambling. I especially enjoyed Homer's patronising towards Lisa when he explained what he was doing, and his fake attempt at rebuffing his defence with the bible.

What is a bit weird is Lisa has a huge objection when Homer gets free cable in s2, yet here she enjoys illegal betting. I mean it doesn't really bother me, but a bit of a weird little contradiction. My biggest laugh of the episode is the short lived Marge/Bart storyline, Marge's total naivety when it comes to buying Bart the wrong clothes and her line "Bart's showing off his new clothes with his friends" or whatever is priceless and typically motherly.

This episode's main crux rested on the outcome of the superbowl, and of course the redskins won, attesting to Lisa's love for Homer. I've always been a bit fuzzy on that ending, I don't think it really makes sense but it's a nice, heartfelt ending. Overall not one of the stronger episodes of season 3, but a very important one regarding the defining of Homer & Lisa's relationship.

B+
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehouse of Spoopy View Post
    no homers dot net

Good episode.
    Maybe, not the best Lisa\Homer episode, but, at least, very good and original.
    I like the parody on sports shows and "hot line" moment ("Cin..." "Cincinnati!" "...cin..." "Cincinnati!").
    Marge and Bart scene was... decent.

plot 24/25
    absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 22/25
    comedy 18/25
    originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 25/25 (I didn't count Super Bowl references)

TOTAL 89/100. GOOD!
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 03/08/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 10 > 12 > 15 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Thread Information