Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2800

Thread: Simpsons Comics Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I wonder when they're finally gonna put #104 in the TPB collections. Though I remember that issues #10 and #81 also got reprinted later than they were supposed to for reasons I'm not entirely sure about.

So Captain Squid's worries were partially right - Simpsons Comics will be digital in the upcoming months. Sort of.

Apparently the printed version will be bi-monthly, with each alternating month having a digital issue which expands on the Simpsonverse. Krusty will be in April, followed by Simpsons Comics #239, and then Moe Szyslak #1 will be released in June:

I like the idea they are branching out more from the core family overall, but I dislike that it's usually going to be digital from now on.

The editorials just get worse and worse. Better to just not write them at all. The next one, if the main title's not cancelled by then, will probably be more dreadful than this one and with more exclamation points.

It's funny how they increased the cover prices on all their print comics last year, now they are testing to see how it goes for "digital only exclusives!" which is half the print price.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I refuse to believe that physical is dead and that all digital is the future. The problem is, with Bongo, that they stopped creating comics with clever writing and great art. I know that the show has declined, but I really doubt that people don't read the comics as much now because of that. Remember when Bongo was cited by fans as having better stories than the show for a time? Or when they were winning industry awards left and right? The moment they decided to make it a kids comic, they messed up. Ideally, their target should be those with disposable income in their mid 20s+.

If the amount needs to be paired down, why not put more effort into writing and art and release stories that get media attention? I'm talking about a followup to the movie or a big return of an animated character who was retired (like McClure) or a crossover or a big adventure arc. Release 6-8 issues a year but really make them count.

Anyway, I can't wait for Nathan's next chipper Bongo Beat where he gleefully tells us everything is cancelled and they're going 100% Spongebob.
    UP AND ATOM!

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    I refuse to believe that physical is dead and that all digital is the future. The problem is, with Bongo, that they stopped creating comics with clever writing and great art. I know that the show has declined, but I really doubt that people don't read the comics as much now because of that. Remember when Bongo was cited by fans as having better stories than the show for a time? Or when they were winning industry awards left and right? The moment they decided to make it a kids comic, they messed up. Ideally, their target should be those with disposable income in their mid 20s+.

If the amount needs to be paired down, why not put more effort into writing and art and release stories that get media attention? I'm talking about a followup to the movie or a big return of an animated character who was retired (like McClure) or a crossover or a big adventure arc. Release 6-8 issues a year but really make them count.

Anyway, I can't wait for Nathan's next chipper Bongo Beat where he gleefully tells us everything is cancelled and they're going 100% Spongebob.
    That has been my most basic issue with modern Bongo writing - they try too hard to appeal to all age demographics instead of utilizing the chance to invest in adult based stories, a printed version of the show. With this territory it treads close to Matt's original vision for the show and his source material of the Life in Hell comics. Kids like I did back in the 90s grew up on Simpsons Comics and the reason why it appealed to us was for the adult tone it took. Sure we had Sonic the Hedgehog, Ducktales and Batman the Animated Series the comic (oh how did they really do a damn good job at balancing the demographics there,) to fulfill our more childish indulgences, Simpsons Comics in its earliest run including the 'Book Of' series seemed like an offshoot of the show itself. More of that detailed, maturity by extension.

As a kid we fled to these adult oriented comics because not only did they give us an insight into bawdy humor (and in the case of some of the underground publications, some naughty curiosity,) but because kids want to 'be in the know'. We wanted to be on top of everything, every reference (well I did, because I am such a nerd) and understand it. Simpsons Comics didn't talk down to us, it taught us much like the show did about how things work and in the end result crafted us into biting satirists because of its humor and knowledge.

In contrast to Bart Simpson comics which later produced a version of that humor and mature overlook on the sideline since its demographic WAS aimed towards children and gummed it like a toddler on a teething ring, Simpsons Comics was the dog that had teeth and didn't fail to satirize everything (especially with the creative and pulp gory THOH series.) One nice example through the ages on how much they got away with things and how it chummed up to the show was Burns and Smithers' first inclusion into the series - they literally made a blowjob joke for an entire page with Burns. You'd be lucky to even get an low key adult reference of the like in the modern issues now, if completely gloss over the sexual frustration (because hey kids read this and its indecent and by the way they won't get it, right?) In contrast to how they write for all side characters mostly now, it's more of a toss off of focus - side characters appear then...what next? Homer just pops in with a wacky shenanigan and toddles off with the plot.

Less substance, less details, more wacky shenanigans as I have seen, and it is a slippery, slippery slope.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Here's what is in Bart Simpson Suckerpunch:
    (all numbers are Bart Simpson Comics issues, except when noted)

Hoop Schemes (69)
    Maggie's Crib: Car Repair (69)
    ...Bart Simpson Shall Do My Bidding! (69)
    Free Range (68)
    The Great Springfield Gold Rush (68)
    Maggie's Crib: Bathtub (68)
    Frinkventions!: Automatic Seat Spring-up Provider (71)
    Formula for Disaster (71)
    Sound Thinking! (71)
    The Prince and the Penal System (72)
    Wedgie Issue (72)
    Maggie's Crib: Zoo Gorillas (72)
    Rock 'n' Roll (72)
    The Black Tooth (70)
    Girl Power! (70; also in Explosion #1)
    Maggie's Crib: Kiddie Pool (71)
    What's Wrong With This Family? (70)
    The Battle of the Batboys (Shindig 7)
    Maggie's Crib: Juggling (70)

In other words, Bart Simpson 68-72, plus "The Battle of the Batboys" from Summer Shindig 7, except for:
    Krustyburger Souvenir Fun-Mat (Bart 68)
    Bart's List of Truly Unspeakable Words and Phrases (Bart 72)

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Just in case anyone was wondering, Simpsons Comics #238 has made it official: the comic is now "six times a year"

Junior Camper

Remember back 2012 when you can buy minimum 2 or 3 bongos per month and only 1 quarterly was a collection of reprints?? Good old times

Quote Originally Posted by yodazone View Post
    I miss when they would release other comics like Summer Shindig, Winter Wingding and the occasional experimental miniseries. Hell, Treehouse of Horror was just that by collecting new and famous artists and writers. I would kill for something in this vein for Valentines every year, but alas the only comics that come close to doing something different are the one-shot wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering, Simpsons Comics #238 has made it official: the comic is now "six times a year"
    so how will this make out, two a month every three months or something?

I know have a copy of Simpsons comics #227

and Bart Simpsons THOH #5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    so how will this make out, two a month every three months or something?
    The Bongo Beat in issue 238 said they are alternating between in-print Simpsons Comics issues and online-only one-offs each month.

April - Krusty
    May - Simpsons 239
    June - Moe
    July - Simpsons 240
    August - "super secret Bartman trilogy" part 1
    I am not sure if September will be Simpsons 241 or the next Treehouse of Horror issue.

Treehouse Of Horror would be the big question mark. It would be a shame if they skipped that but it wouldn't surprise me after they canned Futurama.

Spongebob I see is still 12 issues per year and that comes with the Annual Special still.

Junior Camper

Well, today is the day, in addition to the 30th anniversary of the Simpsons, Bongo already released Krusty's one shot wonder, anyone already download it?

I wonder what the "Krusty" gimmick would have been for the printed comic. And "Moe."

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/bongo...solicitations/

Cool cover for #240. Hope it makes it to the printers!

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I really like that cover too. And a cool story as well for once. Please sell it in stores, Bongo!
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    Yeah, I really like that cover too. And a cool story as well for once. Please sell it in stores, Bongo!
    Why wouldn't they?

Maybe Bongo should go after the Sonic license since Archie cancelled the Sonic line of books too:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05...-the-hedgehog/

and for those of you playing, the next comic collection title will be SImpsons Comics GAME ON

Quote Originally Posted by yodazone View Post
    Maybe Bongo should go after the Sonic license since Archie cancelled the Sonic line of books too:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05...-the-hedgehog/
    I know some inside stuff on this situation, and it is largely because Archie mismanaged the license for the past decade with badly written contracts with creatives which led to lawsuits. I think SEGA is looking to not renew and instead move the license and a bulk of the creatives, who are freelance for Archie, to IDW or Kaboom where the license will be better handled.

Another Squarepants month from bongo:

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/bongo...solicitations/

Odd to see the Radioactive Man Hardcover from 2012 available again. Must be old unsold copies they're trying to get rid of.

I'm still waiting for Radioactive Man volume 2. Probably never happening.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the batton lash stuff is a lot stronger than the original run

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Technically, this belongs in the thread...
    The 2018 Wall Calendar will once again include comic book covers:
    Cover - Simpsons Comics 229
    January - Simpsons Comics 235
    February - Bart Simpson 99
    March - Simpsons Comics 232
    April - Simpsons Comics 170
    May - Simpsons Comics 227
    June - Simpsons Illustrated 14
    July - Simpsons Comics 134
    August - Simpsons Comics 225
    September - Simpsons Illustrated 20
    October - Simpsons Illustrated 25
    November - Simpsons Illustrated 22
    December - Winter Wingding 10
    The 2017 calendar did not have a centerfold; I am guessing the 2018 one will not have one either

As an avid comic collector, I think that this whole obsession with digital comics stinks. I have between 5000 and 6000 comics, mostly European, and here in Europe they're also trying to push this digital crap on us, with only limited success. I hope they miserably fail.

I can't remember the last Simpsons comic I bought. Maybe the final Futurama? Man... Bongo... before I was just bored with their stories and their gimmicks, now I wish they were dead.

I hope they don't have any exclusives at comicon this year at all. Last year's Simpsons white variant was overpriced and an obnoxiously low printed exclusive.

That was probably a sign of the beginning of the end for their cancelled printed line.

Blog Entries

I think it was a huge, missed opportunity not to jump on non-Groening licenses years ago and gotten into the space Boom! and IDW currently occupy

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Technically, this belongs in the thread...
    The 2018 Wall Calendar will once again include comic book covers:
    Cover - Simpsons Comics 229
    January - Simpsons Comics 235
    February - Bart Simpson 99
    March - Simpsons Comics 232
    April - Simpsons Comics 170
    May - Simpsons Comics 227
    June - Simpsons Illustrated 14
    July - Simpsons Comics 134
    August - Simpsons Comics 225
    September - Simpsons Illustrated 20
    October - Simpsons Illustrated 25
    November - Simpsons Illustrated 22
    December - Winter Wingding 10
    The 2017 calendar did not have a centerfold; I am guessing the 2018 one will not have one either
    Ugh. The calendars are becoming less inspired and far less unique than they used to be. It just reminds of of the reused asset cookie cutter merch you see with a lot of major franchises now.

Thread Information