Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 357576777879808182838485868788899091929394 LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 2809

Thread: Simpsons Comics Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anyone have 237 yet? What happens to twins in it?
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

https://news.simpsonswiki.com/2017/0...ockout-review/

Somebody on one of the Simpsons Wikis (the one that isn’t a Wikia site) reviewed Knockout.

well my bookstore said it arrived today, I'll be hearing there later to get my copy

after reading: THE FLUNKY IS BASED ON THE APPRENTICE!?!?!?
    Last edited by ComicBookGal; 02-18-2017 at 11:31 AM.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Well this fucking sucks. I picked up Simpsons Comics 237, for the Bartman story, and they make it sound like Futurama comics will be digital only from here on out, with issue 82 disappearing from the solicits (should have released next week) and going app only in May. Also, one shot wonders are back... digital only. Like seriously, fuck Bongo.

Oh wait, as I type this I flipped to Nathan Kane's letter to remember his name so I could say "fuck Nathan Kane" and he wrote this:

I'm honestly kind of heartbroken, which seems weird given these are essentially kiddie comics. But I've been buying Bongo since day one, and to see them end up where they are now, killing the seasonal specials, Bart Simpson Comics, Super Spectacular, and then to pull this shit and kill Futurama in print is just the final nail in Bongo for me. Outside of the Treehouse of Horror comics I'm done with them. Fuck current management and Nathan Kane.

Oh, and their twitter account is protected for some reason so I can't bitch them out there.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with you, fuck Nathan Kane. That several comics have been retired I can live with (Winter Wingding had a good run at least), and even Simpsons Comics declining more I can accept (that was kinda happening anyway, we had a damn issue about Sideshow Bob hacking Bart's Facebook page for Christ's sake)... but this is just absolute bullshit. We're still paying either way, so what's the freakin' point with making it fully digital? I like holding physical copies, and Futurama will probably never be released into paperbacks again, so it's not like I'll be able to get them physically later on instead.

Seriously, WHY? WHY digital only! There's literally no point! It's just making the comics less available.
    "It's the future, man!" HA, no. It's you being a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Yeah. It's his happy letter that really pissed me off. Just cancel Futurama comics if you aren't printing them. Or here's an idea, get better writers and treat Futurama comics like the great show it is based on. Seriously, more people would have bought a comic that was both edgy and funny and thought provoking. Instead, the past 20 or so issues have been very hit or miss, with some going very kid friendly.

Imagine the poor writers and artists whose work will be confined to the app. I can't imagine much effort being put into future stories and I can't see Futurama lasting long digital only. Man, and issue 100 was close.

Edit: haha! Oh god. And the letter seems to say that a Bartman trilogy is releasing... exclusively to the app.

Blog Entries

print is dead yo

oh god the simpsons comics better not go digital I don't even know if the app is available in canada

also I noticed Sandwiches are forever the way Lisa is acting is probably what would have happened if "You Only Move Twice" was written today since she kept trying to tip off the cops about Scorpio
    Last edited by ComicBookGal; 02-19-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Print is far from dead.

The problem is that Bongo Comics have lost sight of quality art and writing, instead focusing heavily on reprints and cheaply produced stories. I mean, read some of the recent Simpsons Comics stuff and then sit down with an issue from the first 100. The new stuff reads like old Archie or Harvey comics. The old stuff had smart writing that rivaled the show at the time and went on to win industry awards.

They also really sucked at maintaining a release schedule, making fans lose track of when or if their favorite series were produced. I'm certain there are Futurama fans who would have continued to buy the comics had they stuck to a schedule. It's like Bongo treated Futurama the same way FOX originally did, shuffling releases and jumping from bi-monthly to quarterly and not even maintaining that.

Take a look at IDW and Boom! Studios, they have a ton of licensed comics that continue to be successful because they maintain a schedule and quality writing. They also do not relegate their comics to the kid's section.

If they released a yearly Futurama 48 page special that got a lot of press for a well written important story, I could see it selling well. Market it as Futurama Season 8 and have it connect to the series and have David X Cohen pitch a story or something.
    UP AND ATOM!

I do like the current stories but that doesn't mean I think they're better than the classic stories or classic simpsons

and by reprints you mean comics classics right? I just wish they still did ads from other companies rather than keeping it within the company but then again they do have other products and comics to promote and that's understandable but reading a classic issue, is like reading an old Disney Adventures magazine, and the one thing for me that sticks out is the old ads,

Terrible news. If Bongo can't afford to print an already quarterly Futurama Comic, they should license it out to IDW or Boom to print them.

It's funny, the last Futurama Issue #81 in November outsold Spongebob (a monthly) & Simpsons Illustrated (bi-monthly). And as a quarterly release!

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...6/2016-11.html

It even outsold Adventure Time, Sonic, IDW's Disney line and a ton of other big name books.

So now we're looking at this as new Simpsons output from Bongo?

Simpsons Comics - 11 issues annually
    Treehouse of Horror - 1 issue annually

Meanwhile Futurama 82, Krusty One-Shot Wonders and a Bartman trilogy have all been relegated to the app with no promise that any will continue after that.

Blog Entries

Meanwhile, expect many months where SpongeBob Comics is the only series with new (print) issues released.

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

Sad to hear that the first One Shot Wonder created in a while will be digital only. Kind of hoping that won't be the case for future issues, but if anything has to go for what is happening to Futurama comics, then yeah.

Honestly, I think the Krusty One-Shot Wonder was completed and ready to print but they held off as the series was on the chopping block. Same for Futurama. So instead of sending the final issues to print, they made them digital only. I just can't see them continuing both Futurama and One-Shot Wonders as app exclusives.

How popular is Bongo in foreign markets? Could it be that they make more money abroad and that is why the quality and output took a hit? Put minimal effort into the story and art and release fewer series, export the stuff to other countries and translate it and toss in old stories from their 24 year backlog?

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Amazon has information on Colossal Compendium 5, scheduled for release on July 4:

Bart starts his own humor magazine, and it isn’t long before Springfield’s resident funnyman Krusty the Clown wants in on the business. Then, donut-lovers Homer Simpson and Chief Clancy Wiggum take over each other’s deliciously do-nothing jobs. And speaking of switcheroos, Bart boards the wrong airplane and finds himself mistaken for local Springshire lad . . . Brit Simpson. And when Ned Flanders opens his own friendly tavern, Homer finds himself torn between two bartenders, the ever-surly Moe or everyone’s favorite neighborino. Throw in an alien abduction, some home disrepair, a pseudo-scientific trip to an alternate reality, a ghostly superhero pairing, and a rescue mission beneath the nuclear power plant, and you have the most colossal compendium yet.

Also, the Busy Hands Papercraft Project will be the Aztec Theater.

wait one of those sounds like a simpsons comic I got recently like simpsons comics #220 I didn't think I'd be donating that one so soon. what are the other #'s in there? cause I kinda need to know

the others are 208 and 210, I don't know which issue has the humour magazine, it must be a Bart Simpson story

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

The first four are:
    The Rise and Fall of D'oh! (203)
    D'oh-lice Academy (210)
    Brit Simpson! (208)
    Drinker, Failure, Bowler, Spy (220)

sounds like they aren't even bothering with putting 200 in there, but even I probably won't donate it because for some reason I feel it will be worth something one day, but not as much as my old Sega Master System Cartridges

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    sounds like they aren't even bothering with putting 200 in there, but even I probably won't donate it because for some reason I feel it will be worth something one day, but not as much as my old Sega Master System Cartridges
    200 is a multi-story issue, and one of the stories (Moe Meets His Match) is in Simpsons Comics Explosion 2.

oh so they'll omit it if it's included in the comics explosion

I haven't been online in a couple days so have only just read this news regarding the digital-only releases. I had originally written a bit of an angry rant, but chose to delete it and instead go the sentimental route. I've said it several times in the last months that I wouldn't be shocked if Bongo ceased publication, and this seems to be pushing it one step closer. I've never been able to embrace digital comics, and it's made even harder by the fact that the Simpsons Store and Futuramaland apps aren't available in Australia. Even with Simpsons still being printed (for now), I've made the decision to cancel the remaining Bongo books from my comic store subscription. And so ends a decade and a half of my monthly Bongo habit...

My first Bongo comic was Simpsons #70 in September 2002, I was only 11. Almost instantly I tried to get any Simpsons comic books that I could, which was hard living a half hour from the nearest town which only had the latest issues, and a whole 3 hours from the nearest comic book store. I was constantly on the Simpsons Archive website looking up old issues, and as my collection grew I decided to start my own website (When Bongos Collide) dedicated to information on the Groening-based Bongo books... this was in the days before Bongo had their own website. I was 'fortunate' enough to hold the distinction of having the last letter printed in Junk Mail (Simpsons #113), before the column was brought back many years later. Well after WBC disappeared, I decided to go all-out and add the non-Groening books to my collection; Hopster's Tracks, Roswell, Sergio Aragones' Funnies, Heroes Anonymous, Mylo Xyloto, I even managed to get a couple of the Zongo books. In more recent years The Simpsons, Futurama and their associated comic books helped me escape, no matter how briefly, from the sucky effects of anxiety and depression. More recently I have expanded into comics by other publishers, which may not have happened were it not for the spark that Simpsons #70 lit. It was Simpsons Comics that inspired me to draw and, through When Bongos Collide, inspired me to hone my graphic design skills that has given me an interesting little on/off side career. At one point I organised a Q&A session between members of this board and Jesse L. McCann (who wrote quite a few earlier Simpsons and Bart stories, including the very funny Siege on Evergreen Terrace in Simpsons #55). One of my favourite things I have, proudly framed in my study, is a "D'oh Prize" sent to me by Nathan Kane a couple years ago, featuring a sketch of Homer that has been signed by many of the Bongo staffers.

I am a mix of frustrated and disappointed at the decision to (mostly) go digital, but at least it has given me the opportunity to pay tribute to what Bongo has meant to me for 15 years.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

I hate when they try to say digital is exciting because it isn't. I'd like to see their sales figures on actual digital downloads purchases.

There is no collectibility in digital anything for collectors especially in a digital comic that you can get for free.

I've been supporting Bongo for years at both the direct market and newsstand level and am amazed at all their print cancellations in the passed year. Now it's down to one book and maybe the lone Treehouse of Horror Annual if lucky.

Bongo should just change their company name from Bongo to Sponge Comics since Spongebob is the only monthly they fully support.

I wonder how stripped down the Bongo Booth will be this year at the San Diego Comicon. Why even bother paying for the convention space at this point....

Blog Entries

Yeah, there's no doubt about it that Bongo Comics is dying. They probably couldn't afford to have so many publications, and when it comes to Futurama their sales must be doing poorly since they managed to come up with such a terrible idea. I'm sorry, but there's no way the digital app is doing better than the paper sales. We even get Bongo Comics in stores in Sweden, but the app is completely unavailable. Same with many other countries.

Even the Treehouse Of Horror issues are losing their charm, which used to be my favorite Bongo comic ever (due to all the amazing and inventful stories and parodies, and the excellent art), but last year's issue was more by the numbers. Sure, The X Files parody and retirement castle story were fun, but the first one was... just okay? They've already parodied Ghostbusters before, and this time around it felt a bit clichéd. That reference to the remake was pretty dumb. The art is also not as cool. For number 20 we had Hilary Barta back, which was awesome, but this one was all the standard Bongo artists.

I still enjoy them more than the current show (and Futurama still going as a comic book is kinda nice), but they're starting to show their age. I'm willing to accept that it's time for Bongo to retire. 24 years is a long time, so I'm happy. Just waiting for them to reprint all the issues they've made.

I'm of the "shape up or ship out" mindset, and sadly Nathan Kane sees fit to put less of an emphasis on quality art and writing and more of an emphasis on appealing to all ages and focusing heavily on reprints. I'm actually kind of surprised how they have such high quality paper and a complete lack of ads from anybody but themselves. You'd think they would try and save money by going with a cheaper paper, like we see used by DC and Marvel, and going back to selling ad space.

Also, on Facebook Bongo Comics is just sad. They can hardly get a dozen likes on their posts, and most of the time they just push the app and digital releases.

I think it is indeed time for Bongo to close shop, or for Nathan Kane to be replaced with somebody who knows how to please fans and treat the license right.

Blog Entries

He was good as a colorist. Nothing else. I hate Nathan Kane as an editor, I wish they would bring back Bill Morrison.

Even with that dollar price hike on each book last year, they still want to go cancel crazy?

Junior Camper

It's really sad hear these news, I really wish the best for Bongo, whatever the result of this experiment turn to be. If someone is still interested, these are the Bongos (sorry, this is the Bongo) for May. Also, notice the absence of the bimonthly Simpsons Illustrated, maybe finished too?

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/bongo...solicitations/

Thread Information