Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 428283848586878889909192
Results 2,731 to 2,752 of 2752

Thread: Simpsons Comics Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

then why would they cancel the comics being owned by his company?

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

IDW should pick up The Simpsons license and get writers who actually write humor on the level of the show. Not this kid friendly garbage that Nathan Kane has been pushing. They have their charm, but I feel like I've read edgier Casper comics than Simpsons as of late.

Sad to see The Simpsons main series ending. Between that, the lack of DVD news and Jean being cagey about 30 being the end... I wonder if The Simpsons has much life left in it before the Disney merger.
    UP AND ATOM!

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Quote Originally Posted by flashbeagle View Post
    then why would they cancel the comics being owned by his company?
    Because Bongo Comics is putting more of their energy towards the SpongeBob comics now, it seems. I could see Matt Groening selling Bongo Comics to United Plankton Pictures or Nickelodeon once the Simpsons comic series wraps up...

i hope matt groening sells then

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

I heard from a friend who went to the Bongo booth at this weekend's Comicon and he was told that there are no more comics effective in October. He mentioned it was a very sad Bongo booth. No decorations, just guys selling whatever comics were left in stock. One of the writers said they just weren't making money.
    Last edited by yodazone; 07-23-2018 at 06:30 AM.

The problem is that The Simpsons Comics were relegated to the kid's section of comic shops. The once Eisner Award Winning series (seriously, go back and read the first issues of Simpsons, Bartman, Radioactive Man and Itchy & Scratchy) slipped dramatically in its art, writing and storytelling. They just fell into a rut of telling stories that would fit just as well in the old Archie series or any of the licensed kid's cartoon comics.

The Simpsons deserves better and to be honest I think they would thrive at a place like IDW with artists and writers who could infuse some much needed adult edge, humor and stories worth telling in the comics medium. Remember the Futurama/Simpsons crossover?

Only 80s kids remember this ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yodazone View Post
    I heard from a friend who went to the Bongo booth at this weekend's Comicon and he was told that there are no more comics effective in October. He mentioned it was a very sad Bongo booth. No decorations, just guys selling whatever comics were left in stock. One of the writers said they just weren't making money.
    I guess Bongo is shutting down entirely then.

I could see SpongeBob continuing since it was by United Plankton Comics.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Hate to see the comics, but not entirely unexpected. The show HAS to be coming to an end soon and the comics have always been an extension of the tv show. I can't see a reason to keep the comics going without the show (although they did keep pumping out Futurama comics for quite awhile without a show). It's kinda funny some have mentioned how the comics have gone from being more adult to kiddie-themed, but that is also what the tv show has done.

The comics have always been low sellers; not sure selling to another company will impact that much unless they try something extremely radical. But even if they did sell, they don't need to do that immediately. After 30 years of tv and 20-25 years of comics, the brand needs a rest.

And yes, physical copies of comics is dying. There is a price point for the physical medium that the market will decide isn't worth it. For me, it's already there at $3.99. Would anyone pay more for a 22 page Simpsons comic (even a more adult-themed one)?

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by ataeaf View Post
    I guess Bongo is shutting down entirely then.
    At least the Simpsons calendars may still be published, as those haven't been done by Bongo for a few years, although they do have a Bongo copyright. I also wonder about the fate of the TPBs, since technically those are published by Harper and not Bongo. Then again, if Bongo goes out of business, who would decide what goes into any new TPB?

Speaking of Bongo calendars, there will be 2019 versions of the Futurama and Life In Hell calendars (still published by Bongo) as well as the Simpsons ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    The Simpsons deserves better and to be honest I think they would thrive at a place like IDW with artists and writers who could infuse some much needed adult edge, humor and stories worth telling in the comics medium. Remember the Futurama/Simpsons crossover?
    Hopefully Simpsons Comics does get bought by IDW comics or Ka-BOOM! or whoever.

Well, that's sad. Not unexpected, but sad nonetheless. Even their international licensees didn't seem to know what to do... the various Bongo titles had been mainstays for years in the UK and Australia, published by Titan and Otter Press, respectively. A few years back they both ceased publication of Simpsons-related comics, only to bring them back in new #1 issues.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I thought it was already canceled. Hadn't seen a new issue in years.

Blog Entries

This tweet by Ian Boothby implies that Bongo is indeed shutting down.

https://twitter.com/IanBoothby/statu...60190012882944

Shame The Simpsons doesn’t have a huge fandom like Friendship Is Magic or Steven Universe. I’d love to see a fan-made Simpsons comic series.

I guess it's a no-brainer considering Bongo itself is shutting down, but Spongebob Comics will also end come October. Mentioned by Ian Boothby on Facebook.

It means a lot of material will be orphaned without ever having made it to collected editions. The biggest one for me is a 2nd volume of the Radioactive Man hardcover, which could have collected the Batton Lash-written series from the early 2000's. Then there's stuff like the first two Itchy & Scratchy issues and the Bartman trilogy from #4-6. Those were good issues deserving of a re-release years ago.

I hadn't really thought about my forum avatar in years, but in case anyone cares it's of Spence from Hopster's Tracks by Simpsons Comics artist Stephanie Gladden, which Bongo published briefly in the late 90's. They had some really terrific non-Groening series back in the day - in addition to Hopster's Tracks they also had Roswell (by Bill Morrison) and Heroes Anonymous. Their Mylo Xyloto (collab with Coldplay) and Sergio Aragones' Funnies series from recent years were quite good too. I have a couple issues of both titles published under the Zongo imprint (Jimbo and Fleener)... now those were some weird comics.
    Last edited by Charlie; 07-25-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Harper Collins handles the reprints, so it is possible that the TPBs will continue with Bongo only serving as the content owner/creator. The comics are shutting down, but I am certain Bongo will exist as some sort of holder of all the content.

At the very least, we got two one-shots, the final two Futurama comics and (next month) the Bartman trilogy in print form.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I guess it's a no-brainer considering Bongo itself is shutting down, but Spongebob Comics will also end come October..
    Wow. That's surprising as well, given Bongo was treating SpongeBob as their number-one franchise in recent years. I'm pretty sure BOOM! Studios will come out with a new SpongeBob comic series, given how they're also currently publishing comic series of "Rugrats" and "Rocko's Modern Life." But I doubt any other publisher will resume the Simpsons comics anytime soon...

BTW, I kind of think it'd be pretty interesting if Ian Boothby wrote an actual Simpsons TV episode.

Blog Entries

Like I said, it’s a shame that The Simpsons doesn’t have a massive online following (Steamed Hams and Bart Hits Homer with a Chair memes aside) like My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. I’d love to see a fanmade continuation of the comics.

I was hoping the news was an elaborate marketing stunt since November marks the 25th Anniversary of the release of Simpsons Comics #1 from Nov. 1993.

Wonder if the Futuramaland/Simpsons comic apps will remain active.

the day I dreaded has arrived...I'll have to buy this one outright at least we'll still have the HP reprints right?

Home » Solicitations » You are reading »
    BONGO COMICS OCTOBER 2018 SOLICITATIONSby First Comics News on July 25, 2018 BONGO COMICS OCTOBER 2018 SOLICITATIONS2018-07-25T08:41:07+00:00 - Solicitations ShareTweetPlus+Pin this

SIMPSONS COMICS #245
    AUG181668
    (W) Nathan Kane (A) Rex Lindsey (CA) Jason Ho, Nathan Kane
    It’s a Simpsons Comics send off! Join Bongo for the final issue of Simpsons Comics in a series finale that’s been 25 years in the making! When Lisa brings home a lovable new pet from All Creatures Great and Small and Cheap, it seems like the perfect gift. But this new addition to the family turns out to be much more than anyone could have expected, and soon Springfield itself is in danger. Only one person can save the town from total disaster, but they’re too busy taking a nap! It’s a tale of twists, turns, irradiated missteps, and surprise cameos that will have your head spinning, bosom heaving, and wallet screaming to be emptied! A heartfelt series farewell from your pals at Bongo. We hate to say goodbye, so let’s just leave it at “Smell ya later!”
    In Shops: Oct 17, 2018
    Surprise cameos? like one episode wonder characters?

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    the day I dreaded has arrived...I'll have to buy this one outright at least we'll still have the HC reprints right?

Surprise cameos? like one episode wonder characters?
    gee what the heck is wrong with the editing?? apparently if I click edit post it seems that everything disappears

Just picked up the Bartman 66 page comic and while I know it was a digital title released previously, with the impending end of new Bongo comics the Bartman story very much had a finale feel. The story focused heavily on "firsts" and "lasts" and showed us the past (present) Springfield and future Springfield. The third part featured a museum of Springfield objects like the Sax on the Beach album, Uncle Moe's sign, Gabbo, Funzo, etc. Radioactive Man #1 also featured heavily.

Given Bongo launched with Simpsons Comics, Bartman, Radioactive Man and Itchy & Scratchy, it was cool to have a big Bartman story that acted as a conclusion to one quarter of Bongo's launch titles.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Thread Information