• 4/5

110 37.80%
  • 5/5

127 43.64%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: R&R Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

10/10, 5/5 in the poll. This is where the greatness began, and it's a very heartwarming episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

HAPPY 25TH ANNIVERSARY!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow 25 years amazing that its come this far, this is a really good episode to start off the series, its a Simpsons Christmas special and homer didn't get his Bonus this year so he has to find other ways to get it but marge has some money saved away in her hair but Bart ruins it by getting a tattoo and that causes homer to be a mall Santa to which Bart also ruins by tearing his beard down, now homer gets his pay check for doing that but its not enough, so homer and Bart go to Springfield Downs to try to get some Christmas luck by betting, sadly they lose but hope is not over with yet, a dog literary jumps in the arms of homer making it a Christmas miracle and a family dog named santas little helper joins the Simpsons family the end. 10/10

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dman360 View Post
    Wow 25 years amazing that its come this far, this is a really good episode to start off the series, its a Simpsons Christmas special and homer didn't get his Bonus this year so he has to find other ways to get it but marge has some money saved away in her hair but Bart ruins it by getting a tattoo and that causes homer to be a mall Santa to which Bart also ruins by tearing his beard down, now homer gets his pay check for doing that but its not enough, so homer and Bart go to Springfield Downs to try to get some Christmas luck by betting, sadly they lose but hope is not over with yet, a dog literary jumps in the arms of homer making it a Christmas miracle and a family dog named santas little helper joins the Simpsons family the end. 10/10
    Then why on earth did you vote it 1/5 in the poll?!
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnowpitMerry ChristEhtmas View Post

Then why on earth did you vote it 1/5 in the poll?!
    opps my mistake i meant to vote 5/5, i'm so used to the new top down way its done, i think i'm the first one to vote 1/5.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Hey, happy 25 years, Simpsons!

The first episode of the show is still one of the first season's best. The general plot is the right mix of sweet and sour, with fun characterizations mixed with a melancholy atmosphere, and enough heart to carry the whole thing. It's not the strongest story in the early years, but it's a great introduction to the cast with a very satisfying resolution and some good humor. A-
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

A great start to the Simpsons show. While it's not the funniest/best episode of season 1, I laughed several times like Bart singing his own version of Jingle Bells, Bart lying to get a tattoo, Bart yanking Homer's beard, and a few part of the ending song. 8/10
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

For the 25th birthday, I begin a whole retrospective of the series.

It's always something to see this first episode. The story itself is rather nice and lets follow willingly. The gags aren't yet many but are good with some great lines. This episode well lays the foundation of the series (I think the sequence of the letter, essential of this view) with elements like Bart's irreverence Lisa and her desire to have a pony, Marge's hair or the great humanity of Burns. For Homer, if not nearly as stupid as afterwards and we even see him working (but bad, honor is safe) but some bases are also present such as its aversion (reciprocal) to Patty and Selma, jealousy to Flanders, his "D'oh !" and his strangling scene during the end credits.
    A not exceptional first episode, but really nice and touching, with a bit of nostalgia. My previous rating was 13, it's now 14/20.

Season 1 :
    Simpsons Roasting on an Open FIre : 14/20 (+1)
    Season Rankings : 7 > 5 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 9 > 3 > 2 > 10 > 15 > 16 > 1 > 11 > 14 > 12 > 20 > 18 > 17 > 19 > 13.

Junior Camper Nobodylikesmilhouse's Avatar

5/5. Stone cold classic. I watch this one every Christmas and it always me of a time when Christmas was still magical. Being old enough to see this when it first aired in the UK I'm probably biased but who cares, LOVE IT!
    So this is what it feels like When Doves Cry!

Not an outstanding premiere, but a pretty good pilot. 75/100
    "It's a ring toss game." –Homer Simpson

Support me in helping to review every single Simpsons episode so far! (Best in blue and worst in red)

Season 1
    Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire: 75/100
    Bart the Genius: 93/100
    Homer's Odyssey: 70/100
    There's No Disgrace Like Home: 89/100
    Bart the General: 88/100
    Moaning Lisa: 83/100
    Call of the Simpsons: 81/100

5/5
    It's hard to not give this one a high rating, due to it being the series premiere. I always found it unique that a christmas episode starts off this whole series. I like it. Not my fave from Season 1, but it's up there. I prefer this one to most of the future christmas episodes personally.

Yes while the first episode aired was a holiday special, but it was a great way to start the show. My favorite scene in this episode will always be the scene where homer cuts down a tree after the prices of trees kept increasing from 30 to 60 to 90 LOL Rate: A+ 5/5

*After homer brought the tree home*
    Patty: Why is there a bird house on it?
    Homer: Ugh, thats an ornament.
    Selma: Do I smell gun powder?

LOL

Great beginning to a Great series 5/5

4/5

I feel like it was a good way to start the show, and a good introduction to the main characters, and an introduction to some secondary characters. (Ned, Grandpa Simpson, etc.) It starts a lot of running gags, like funny signs, and Homer's "D'oh!" (I think) Though, like most episodes, it could have been better.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

Rate & review "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire: The Simpson's Christmas Special"

Well, I just started to watch all the season and I started from the first episode. What do you think? Which is the difference between now and then?. My opinion 3/5

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This is an iconic classic Simpsons episode if you ask me and holds up tremendously well even today.

One detail which doesn't get enough acclaim is I think it was smart of them to make the premiere the 8th episode they produced because it allowed them to introduce these characters after establishing their series characterizations. Lisa is smart out of the gates without any jarring transitional phase from her female Bart sidekick days on the Tracey Ullman Show because they had already mapped out her character arc in Moaning Lisa (which would air later). Maggie wasn't given a ton of focus because they'd already established that it would be difficult to make her a central figure in a non-short format (after trying with Some Enchanted Evening - the de facto pilot that would wind up as the season finale).

The core family dynamic was entrenched and that comes off immediately and makes employing Simpsons Roasting as a confident intro work far better than had they run with Some Enchanted Evening, Bart the Genius or Homer's Odyssey instead.

Also, just as a heads up @Pieman23, please try not to create new R&R threads with polls when kicking off discussion on older episodes. Just look up an older one and bump it with your observations.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

5/5.In a lot of ways this was the first Simpsons episode I ever saw.I re-watched it yesterday and it left me with a warm heart and a yearning to go back and right previous wrongs.

Blog Entries

The scene where Homer finds out he didn't get his Christmas bonus always gets me, especially delivery of his line "15 bucks? You can't buy anything for 15 bucks!". Man, do I get the feels from that.

This is definitely one of the most human episodes, with just the right amount of heartbreak as to not make the heartwarming scenes come off as forced. A big reason why the episode works is because it feels real, desperate, and entirely human because this situation is something every person fears at some point or another. It's relatable.

Anyway, enough babbling. My rating hasn't changed ever since I first watched it, and it hasn't changed this time either. 10/10
    Last edited by pax; 03-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.

The [Insert Something Here] D'oh! Man's Avatar

Even though this wasn't meant to be the first episode (don't believe me? Look it up. :P) it was pretty good for the start of the series. But it definitely wasn't my favorite. But I'll still give it a 4/5.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do believe you. In fact, it's apparent here... we see Homer doing what looks like a Safety Inspector Job, which he didn't get until "Homer's Odyssey". (The DVD commentary said they didn't even think of a job for him until then.) Plus, other than Ned, Patty, and Selma, most of the secondary characters barely get any lines and just seem to be background props, even Abe (not to mention Smithers, who is heard but not seen). That is because they were never meant to debut here. Only Ned, Patty, and Selma were. And in Ned's case, "There's No Disgrace Like Home" has the prototype Flanders family in it (again, commentary admits it) which would seem pointless if Ned already exists.

Always late to the party Whyyoubig's Avatar

It wasn’t supposed to be the first episode. But it was. And that makes it very important. It’s also in my top 15 of all episodes. It is also one of my favorite christmas specials.
    Favorite/least favorite by season (not counting clip shows)
    Season 1: Life on the Fast Lane/Some Enchanted Evening Season 2: Bart the Daredevil/Old Money Season 3: Bart the Lover/Dog of Death Season 4: Last Exit to Springfield/Marge in Chains Season 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets an Elephant Season 6: Homer the Great/Fear of Flying Season 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza Season 8: You Only Move Twice/Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(D’oh)cious Season 9: The City of New York Vs Homer Simpson/Lisa the Skeptic Season 10: Lisa Gets an A/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble Season 11: Behind the Laughter/It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge Season 12: Trilogy of Error/Homer Vs Dignity Season 13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game Season 14: Moe Baby Blues/Barting Over Season 15: Simple Simpson/Bart-Mangled Banner Season 16: Don’t Fear the Roofer/On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/Bonfire of the Manatees Season 18: 24 Minutes/The Boys of Bummer Season 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/That 90’s Show Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone/In the Name of the Grandfather Season 21: The Bob Next Door/The Greatest Story Ever D’ohed Season 22: Angry Dad: The Movie/Elementary School Musical Season 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Lisa Goes Gaga Season 24: I haven’t seen this season Season 25: Brick Like Me/Days of Future Future Season 26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell to Earth Season 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream Season 28: 22 For 30/Kamp Krustier Season 29: Gone Boy/The Old Blue Mayor She Ain’t What She Used to Be Season 30: TBD when 11 episodes have aired/TBD when 11 episodes have aired

Junior Camper

During my Simpsons rewatch, I viewed this through a critical lens, rather than a fanboy one, as I'm trying to with every episode. First off, there's no denying how important and iconic this episode is. It was the first episode aired (not produced though) and was many people's first introduction to the family. However, once again, like many other season 1 episodes, it falls into the pitfalls of lacking humour, and weirdly depressing themes. Many I should be praising the old-old episodes for putting story before comedy, but the best Simpsons episodes manage to do both.

This episode is still better than other season 1 episodes, as it has a genuinely sweet ending and just because of "oww quit it". 'Some Enchanted Evening' acts as a better 'first' episode of the show, as it's a more basic introduction to the characters and show premise, but it's probably a good thing this was the first one aired, as it's a better episode and just good enough to get people interested in the show. (better than a lot of what was on TV at the time, that's for sure) Still, not a bad episode. 6.5/10

But why did Lisa look naked during the school pageant? Weird season 1 animation...

The right start for a perfect show.

Blessed is the stroke of luck that allowed Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire to be the opening episode. Because, of the thirteen episodes that delivered the first season is, by far, the one that works best as a pilot. And, also, because it shows that this series is different from the others: what kind of show makes its first episode a "special" one?

There is no characteristic presentation, but there is a kind presentation.

There is a sublime presentation of several secondary characters that are very important in the development of the life of the Simpson family. The first one is Ned Flanders, with whom we can see how miserable Homer's life is. Then, Burns appears, to perform his first act as a "villain", leaving Homer without his gratification. Then, Milhouse, who is already very close to Bart. And finally, we see Homer's father, Grampa, who in his first intervention makes a complaint, and the sisters of Marge and the miserable relationship maintained by their brothers-in-law, however, other characters debuted without showing traces of what they would be in the future. Ralph seemed to be a very intelligent child. Moe played the role of adorable bartender and counselor. And Barney, despite being at Moe's house, did not show up as an alcoholic, and was even seen as a woman.

Whatever he does, Homer is destined to be Ned's shadow.

History shows us a man doing the impossible so that his family enjoys a Christmas despite not having money. It is a simple premise, although interesting. Like any episode of TV or movie set on this date, the emotional factor was assured. See Homer defeated at the entrance of his house or being sincere in front of his son are demotivating scenes. But the sadness becomes emotion with the first memorable phrase that the series gives us: "He's a loser, He's a pathetic, He's... a Simpson". The presentation of Santa's Little Herper to the family is another memorable scene. And the epilogue, with the family singing Christmas carols, is very good too.

The last minutes of this episode are pure gold.

However, the story has some bumps that make, at times, the development is not interesting. I refer, mainly, to Bart's subplot and his frustrated tattoo. That excuse to get rid of the money took too much time. I also find the time used in Homer's preparation to be Holy excessive. I think that with the interview was enough, and that the training is over. Another fact in which expectations are not met is humor. The only one who took me out of the drama to make me laugh was the one in which the whole family is in the living room doing one task each. Then, there are many acceptable jokes, but not as good as those that occur in the scene mentioned.

"Marge, haven't you finished that stupid letter yet?".

As a negative point of this episode, and the first season in general, there is animation. The chaos generated during the process is understandable. But inexperience played a trick very often. In fact, in the first scene of all, Marge leaves the door open of the car. Also, Lisa's dress on her show at school is disturbing. However, the most important fault is about the end. It is a simple detail that over time generates laughter, but it is the convincing sign of the problems in the animation: the walls were upside down when Marge congratulated her husband!

Should we believe it was a kind of magic wall or something?

In summary, Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire is, with failures and successes, one of the strong episodes of the first season and represents a promising start for the best show of the history. With emotion as a standard, the Christmas special won the recognition of most fans.

5/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 11-09-2018 at 07:13 PM.

A good way to start the series albeit a christmas episode. we get cool character introductions and emotion. 8/10

''hey you, what do ya think your doing''!!!!!

great episode and we watch it every Christmas in our house, kids love it

Good and somewhat magical episode. IMHO, the best episode of season 1. 88/100
    IMHO the most and the least favourite episodes of each season (without clipshows and trilogy episodes):
    1. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Bart the Lover/Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge Gets a Job 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Burns’ Heir 6. ’Round Springfield/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Bart the Fink 8. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious/The Springfield Files 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Das Bus 10. Maximum Homerdrive/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Faith Off/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Three Gays of the Condo 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Pranksta Rap 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/The Italian Bob 18. The Wife Aquatic/Rome-old and Juli-eh 19. He Loves to Fly and He D’ohs/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/In the Name of the Grandfather 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Stealing First Base 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Love Is a Many Strangled Thing 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/The Ten-Per-Cent Solution 24. The Saga of Carl/Penny-Wiseguys 25. Brick Like Me/The Man Who Grew Too Much 26. Bart’s New Friend/Simpsorama 27. Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream 28. The Town/Trust but Clarify 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 30. TBA/TBA

I think that opinions may differ how many people, so many opinions.

Blog Entries

A very good start for the series. I like how they portrayed Homer, as a caring husband and father, who tries to find a way for his family to have the best Christmas. Then we have the appearances of various secondary characters for example: Ned Flanders, Mr Burns, Todd Flanders, Principal Skinner, Barney Gumble, Moe Szyslak etc. This episode is 5/5 for me. It is such a great and emotional episode that deserves this!

Thread Information