• 2/5

4 1.43%
  • 1/5 (!)

7 2.50%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: R&R: Lisa's Substitute

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned

I always found this one to be pretty dry in both story and jokes. It's not bad I just don't find it very entertaining.

"You are Lisa Simpson" means nothing to me.

2/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    i hate this post
    ^

Banned

Bad reply, good reply? I'm the guy with the post.

Blog Entries

i got bad posts so i feel u

Banned

They are all bad posts.
    Last edited by $impson; 02-07-2019 at 08:18 AM.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

yea

Blog Entries

not breaking new ground ive been saying that

Blog Entries

my posts are excellent

Blog Entries

can t relate

Blog Entries

o frick i gotta charge my computer

Blog Entries

ur posts are excellent

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Blog Entries

no u

Blog Entries

yea but... you too

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a good episode. A real winner.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

A geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere.

This is one of my favourites, but I tend to deviate to the earliest seasons.

I found the episode to be relatively relatable, which is always something I strive to find in entertainment. It was a great analysis of the relationship between Lisa and Homer, which is something I don't tend to see often. Lisa, as well as Bart in his b-plot, felt very much like children to me, which is good, because they are children. I found them to be very organic characters in this, unlike in later seasons where they almost seem to act like (somewhat) matured adults in young bodies.

The juxtaposition of Mr. Bergstrom as a substitute teacher and a substitute father in the eyes of Lisa was subtly beautiful. People often point to the "You are Lisa Simpson" note featured in the episode's punctum; this is a touching moment, yes. It's a clear landmark of the episode as well as the season. And yet, that scene didn't matter as much to me as the ending itself. Lisa is broken about her male idol's leaving, and her actual father figure at first refuses to console her. Homer, thanks to Marge's intervention, finally understands what is happening. To some extent, at least. He may not clearly understand that Lisa was subconsciously replacing him as a father figure, but he did realise that his daughter was devastated and that he hurt her, and that it was his duty as her actual father to patch things up. I found that to be beautiful.

Hoffman's portrayal of the titual substitute was geniusly played. A gripe I share with others is that, in place of the episode's notable emotional grip, is a slight lack in humour.

hello i am bored and have nothing to do so i wrote a wall of text

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

A geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere.

it was p aiight anyways

Blog Entries

pax i see u

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

There is such a gap in quality between most other episodes before and this one that it's insane. No other episode (aside from Life on the Fast Lane and parts of Moaning Lisa and Bart Gets an F) come close to how emotional and perfectly written this is. Lisa has her best characterization yet and Homer is almost as good. Dustin Hoffman knocks it out of the park as Mr. Bergstrom and Mr. Bergstrom himself is such a greatly written character. And both the brain scene and Homer making up with Lisa are among the best scenes in Simpsons history.

But on the other hand this is a really funny episode. Unlike Moaning Lisa, the subplot doesn't take up too much time and doesn't mess with the episode's tone at all. The pacing between the A and B plots is perfect. And this B plot is way funnier than the one in Moaning Lisa. Bart has such a strong personality and that naturally leads to many great jokes.

This is a special kind of episode where literally everything works. It's funny, heartfelt, tells an amazing story, and includes a fantastic guest star. What else could you want? 10/10

I love The Simpsons for countless reasons. One of them is its incredibly immense variety of content. I reviewed almost all the second season, and I gave the perfect note to a trilogy of horror-stories, to one of the saddest episodes, to one with a meaningful impact in the past of the characters, and to two brilliant satires. This episode is completely different than all of them. Nevertheless, it is still perfect in its own way.

This episode gets relevance without any gimmick.

When I think about this episode, Mr. Bergstrom immediately comes to mind (of course). Dustin Hoffman steals the show with his sympathetic and amiable character. Mr. Bergstrom represents a stereotypical perfect teacher who is constantly innovating his classes, who knows how to motivate the students in the learning process. One of those teachers that everyone would love to have during their childhood. He tries to get kids' attention, he searches the most efficient way to teach them the contents, and he is constantly cheering them to develops their own talents, no matter how useless they can be. Mr. Bergstrom is no worried if he is watched crying for the students or if they make jokes about his aspect or his apparent reek because he does not stop in the superficial. He is also a wise, intelligent man. He proves it when he teaches about the cowboys in Texas and when he is in the museum. He is also sensitive. It was evident but I especially liked it when he reflects on the relationship between two grown brothers and when he cries because that book touches him. He is talented (he plays the guitar), is solidary (he selflessly decides to contribute with the museum) and is lovely with the kids. Plus, he apparently has a nice smile and he is not tempted by Edna Krabappel's seduction. Everything on him seems perfect. And that, added to the constant mediocrity that around on Lisa in her family –Homer's seems distracted every time Lisa tries to connect with him– and in the school –Mrs. Hoover is the opposite than Bergstrom–, generated a feeling of admiration and special enthusiasm in the girl for teacher new teacher.

He'd lost against Albert Brooks' Hank Scorpio. But he can easily be the second-best guest star.

And that's the biggest success of this episode. Yeah, Mr. Bergstrom is fairly likable, a serious contender to the best one-time character of all time. But his appearance would be nothing if he would not have related with a Simpson. His chemistry along with Lisa is wonderful. You can accompany Lisa when she starts to know her teacher and why she idolatrized him. Mr. Bergstrom gifts her a hat for her correct answer, he does not quarrel her after watching his drawing, he motivates her to plays the saxophone without shame. Little gestures during the classes that made that Lisa is interested to have a deeper relationship than the professor/teacher. They were together at the museum, and after that Lisa planned to invite him to dinner... But Bergstrom had gone and Mrs. Hoover came back. Ah, the life of a substitute teacher. I really liked that Mrs. Hoover believed Bergstrom didn't teach anything, but Lisa fixes her saying that he taught her that life is worthy of living. And then, we have the scene of the farewell next to the train that was going to separate them forever. What can I say about this scene that was not said already? It is a classic moment. Classic things are imperishable, and no matter how many times I've watched it, it always impacts me. It is a moving, touching moment. I loved how Bergstrom handled the situation, and I liked his reflections about substitute teachers and medium-class, and I enjoyed his brief moment of pride when he says he is the best teacher. But if this scene stands out is thanks for that beautiful note Lisa receives from Bergstrom: "You are Lisa Simpson" and that's all. It seems hollow, it is absolutely deep. It's a great message and a memorable last act for this character.

One of the most iconic moments of the entire show.

Lisa loves Bergstrom because she watches on him a better father figure than the one offered by Homer. The contrast is notorious: while one enjoys going to a museum, the other hates it; while one of them is generous, the other is stingy; while one eats vegetables, the other eats a sandwich (I love that detail). And well, Homer and Lisa's relationship suffers a tense chapter here. I am not a fan of their behavior between them before the resolution. I thought this review was going to be a letter of love but that's my gripe with this episode. Lisa yelling at him during the dinner, calling him a baboon, disrespecting him in this way was a bit too much, especially when Homer was not the main cause of her sadness. Yeah, Homer has his errors here too. I strongly dislike it when he says that the fact he does not care doesn't mean he does not understand. But that is another discussion. Lisa can't angry with him just because he is not as smart or as educated as Bergstrom. He didn't have bad intentions when he makes the joke of the wolfman, for example. I think Lisa was too harsh with him and he didn't deserve it. But that's a minor complaint and everything can be forgotten after that beautiful ending. Homer's little speech was one of the most sincere moments of the show. Everyone can feel relatable with that scene and it is absolutely cute and inspiring. The melancholy music really helped to build the atmosphere for that adorable discourse where Homer tries to cheer Lisa up and console her after her loss. After it, Homer jokes about the hurting comment Lisa had done, play innocently and forget the inconvenience. What a wonderful outcome. Lisa and Homer always give us little gems like that.

Everything was fantastic in this scene, but the storyboard's work was excellent.

What I can't believe is that some people say this episode is not funny. Beyond there are some good jokes here and there in the main plot (I'd want to remark when Lisa is drawn as the same form than Bergstrom), there is an entire subplot whose only objective is to make us laugh. Bart running up for the class presidency was a big generator of amusing moments. Sherri & Terri claiming for Bart's candidature opened an opportunity for Bart to be the clown of his class. And he really takes it. The speeches during their campaign worked really well because they show the innumerable differences between Martin and Bart. Saving the distances, the subplot also worked as another effective political criticism. It shows how useless can be the debates when the voters do not care about the election. Bart earns almost all the votes shouting catchphrases, saying incoherences, and humiliating his adversary. I chuckled when Bart claims for more asbestos Martin's decline was kinda funny too. But although he conquested his mates' votes, Bart lost the election in an outrageous way. Everyone forgot the election and Martin won with a devastating 2-0. I liked how Homer is involved in this story too. First, incentivizing Bart to accept the postulation because it is like a popularity contest (and he practically won it, because a big part of the group was going to vote him). But them consoling him after the defeat, saying a big true: there is no benefit in being the Class President. Just extra work for the one who occupies the charge. There were some smart visual gags during the campaign like the mistaken sex announce and my personal favorite, Bart and Martin using the same argument: a vote for Bart is a vote for anarchy.

The smartest joke of the episode.

If I had to choose my three favorites episodes of the season, I probably would not pick this one. But Lisa's Substitute is excellent. Mr. Bergstrom is one of the greatest one-time characters, Lisa and Homer pass for a bad moment and then have a great reconciliation, Bart was the encharged of the funny moments. It is a complete episode and deserves the perfect note from me.

5/5
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Later)

So here we have one of the biggest and most classic early episodes, well known and loved by most fans. It is difficult to add something new or really to say a lot as most has really been said about it numerous times, but I'll add my own thoughts with the risk of repeating stuff.

On paper, a premise like this (about Lisa getting a big crush on her new substitute teacher and comes to appreciate him a lot) doesn't sound like much and could potentially be a pretty lame and bland episode, but with the way it turned out the rather simple story became of the season's (and the show as a whole) best efforts when it comes to a great dramatic and emotional story, having pretty much the perfect story for Lisa up to this point (including an neat conflict between her and her father) and an excellent, memorable guest star-voiced character in Mr. Bergstrom, the substitute teacher (Dustin Hoffman doing a marvelous job here) and a fun subplot (Bart running for class president against Martin Prince Jr). I'll admit that at first I wasn't so impressed by the episode (preferring the more funny and colorful episodes), but then later I started to appreciate it more and more. It's a little masterpiece in a sense.

The story starts off with Ms. Hoover taking a leave of absence because of her lyme disease and there's a hilarious scene of Bart "traumatizing the children" by showing his class a video of the family cat Snowball having kittens. Mr. Bergstrom enters with a bang (as he's dressed as a 1830's Texas cowboy and firing his toy guns) and Lisa impresses him right away by guessing correctly about the three errors of his cowboy getup (also nice gag with the reveal that Lisa had missed one of his intended errors, a digital wristwatch). He right away shows he's a fun,super likeable and interesting character. He turns out to have an positive effect with his style of teaching, letting the children get more involved & getting closer to them with an open mind, ability to joke about himself and read them stories (these scenes were fantastic, with Hoffman's voice acting pulling a lot of the weight). There is also a fun reference to The Graduate with Edna trying to seduce Mr. Bergstrom; naturally there has to be a reference to one of the most famous Dustin Hoffman movies).

Lisa tells Marge about her new crush and how fantastic he is was a nice scene with Marge responding how she feels the same way about Homer, but Lisa being cyncial (the conflict that arises from her comparing Homer to Bargstrom was a good, well written one). Marge urges Homer to take Lisa to the soon-closing museum & they run into Bergstrom & the ignorant Homer gets to interact with Bergstrom (great scene with Bergstrom urging Homer that Lisa needs a strong male figure, essentially outright telling him to be that guy). Lisa soon after finds out that Ms. Hoover is back (due to her sickness having been just in her head) and manages to catch Bergstrom at the train station in one of the greatest dramatic scenes of the series, with Bergstrom giving Lisa a note to read whenever she's feeling down ("You are Lisa Simpson'') and going away on the train as Lisa follows it a little bit before stopping; it was clearly a take on the classic train station farwell scenes but it was some poignant, wonderful stuff and not a lame parody at all.

While the main story focused mostly on the drama, the humor was perfectly delivered with the class president election subplot of Bart challenging Martin in an epic duel of sorts. Martin is the serious minded and generally obvious one for the task of being the leader of the class but Bart still takes him on with an colorful campaign of his own, that includes slander, manipulating signs and making the rest of the class laugh, soon getting him nearly the entire class to be on his side as supporters and followers (aside from Wendell, the only Martin-booster of the bunch aside from Krabappel). There was some nice jokes, like the "SEX!" sign Bart & Homer makes & the "More asbestos" chant (which was very funny) and also Martin's overall uppity behavior (which I always found a good source of humor), and it comes to an amusing end with Bart and his followers just stay outside and eat cupcakes and nobody of them remembers to vote in time, which causes Martin to win by two votes (I also loved they ending with the "Prince Beats Simpson" headline of the school newspaper)

The epilogue with Lisa being sad and angry over Bergstrom leaving as well as frustrated with her dad being such an oaf, taking it out on him as he's being careless with his words and admitting he never cared about her infatuation with Bergstrom, and calling him a baboon ("The ugliest, smelliest ape of all"), was a good one. HOmer finally realizing he's an crude idiot and cheering Lisa up with a heartfelt little speech and making fun of himself by acting like a monkey which ends their conflict in an very heartfelt and deserved way, with it ending with Homer also cheering up Bart that its good that he didn't win the class president election (because of all the effort that goes into being one), seeing to Maggie and going to sleep in peace knowing he's on a roll as a parent. What a sweetly emotional end, without being sappy or anything. ONe of the best end scenes of the season.

I have got no real complaints about the episode (aside from Lisa maybe being a little too harshly angry at Homer in the end, despite him not doing himself any favors with his ignorant and senseless behavior) and it just works so well and flows nicely from start to end. As said, it is a great one, memorable, dramatic, fun and all that. Maybe not one of the Top 3 of the season to me (as there are several greats) but still awesome.

5/5, plain and simple.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information