• 2/5

5 2.94%
  • 1/5

1 0.59%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review "When Flanders Failed"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Homer is too mean, and this is one of the last episodes to carry the depressing tone reversed by a happy ending ("There's No Disgrace Like Home", "Bart vs Thanksgiving", etc.), but it's also very funny in places, and overall I enjoy it.

Also, I think this is the last episode where I hear any traces of Walter Mathau in Homer's voice (not a criticism, just an observation)

12/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

It was pretty sweet. Homer's unnecessary hatred of Flanders is hilarious in this one, especially given the way he ultimately helps him out. Nothing particularly amazing but definitely enjoyable. 4/5

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Meh. 3/5

I'm like following you around bartyboy I always comment right after you

I'd give this episode a 4/5, had a happy ending
    "The kids these days, they think comedy is dirty words. It's not, it's words that sound dirty, like Muckluck!"

- Krusty The Klown

I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Homer being so mean at the start and then realising the error in his ways, a touching, heart-felt and hilarous (in places, because of the different personalities clashing together) episode, that is a great classic episode, although not the first classic episode as some have been saying...Bart the Daredevil...Blood Feud...anyone?

I loved the joke of the man who couldn't be asked to even talk to Homer, but when he heard Ned Flanders needed help...

5/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Duffless View Post
    I'm like following you around bartyboy I always comment right after you
    There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Groin-grabbingly transcedent Uosdwis R. Jewoh's Avatar

4/5 pretty good story especially because i hate flanders

It's an episode I really enjoy, with an uplifting end and I don't mind Homer in this episode, despite there being signs of Jerkass Homer.

Bart's subplot is quite entertaining also and its one of Nancy Cartwright's best voice performances, really shows the difference between the classic era and the modern era as much as the quality of episodes I think

4/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Ned isn't exaclty one of my favorite characters but in this episode he actually seemed a bit more likeable to me. I'll give it a 4/5.

Cool avatar and sig made by the awesome merzitar!

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When Flanders Failed: B, 3.5/5, 7.5/10, Great

Blog Entries

4 / 5
    I love this episode!

Been a long time since anyone posted on this but I must say I love this episode and it is probably my favourite, I actually (and unasahamedly) cry when this ends, as seeing the impossibly nice Flanders fail so miserably is really difficult, and watching the town rally round to save him just brings out the best in me.
    Far more emotive than the perennial tearjerkers such as Ghost or Titanic.
    Light on comedy yes, but so much heart.

I find that I like this episode better than most people. I think it's a terrific episode, probably in the bottom half of season 3 but still good since season was, IMO, the best of the series.

My favorite line has always been:
    Flanders: Usually in times like this I turn to the good book, but I can't even do that.
    Homer: Why not?
    Flanders: Because I sold it to you for 40 cents.

I didn't get that line entirely correct, but you know what I mean. Love that line, love the episode. It's a hackneyed storyline (mistreat someone, then feel bad about it and make it to them in the end), but it doesn't feel like it in this episode. The Simpsons used to do a great job of taking plain-jane storylines that have been done a million times, and making it all seem fresh. I think this episode is a great example.

Homer's a jerk, but his jerkiness is punished by his feelings of guilt, and by the end he's atoned for it. I think this episode makes Homer and Flanders both more human. Flanders because he failed for once, and Homer because he feels bad for not helping Ned out right away.

4/5

3/5. Funny, but has a pretty corny ending.

Blog Entries

I haven't had an R&R in a while! It fells great to be back.

I felt this episode was done extremely well. I laughed at how badly Homer treated Ned, and then how in the end he helps The Leftorium back in business. But the B-Plot was pretty damn terrible. I felt the "Touch of Death" mumbo-jumbo was stupid from the start. This episode would've gotten an A+ if only the B-Plot didn't drag it down. B

Great episode. It really highlights Homer's inner, conflicting feelings. Very touching. 5/5

Great, great episode! Very touching plus some great character inter-actions. I love those early episodes, when the point of Flanders and his family was that they are a perfect family comparing to which The Simpsons look bad, rather then today where Flanders is just a over-the-top religion fanatic.

Much like with “Dead Putting society” I'm surprise that today people complain about Homer being too much of a jerk. In this episode he was as low and unpleasant as it can be. Heck! If anything he got more sympathetic over the years.

To be honest I find Bart-Karate sub-plot way less interesting then the main plot, if not unnecessary filer, that only ads two or three good jokes to the main story.

4.75/5: I've always found this episode to be special in Season 3. It may not be in my top 3 but it's not very far off from that spot. I really like the whole barbecue beginning and the scene where Bart takes a massive bite from his hamburger and starts rubbing his stomach in front of Homer is hilarious. Homer is really quite awful throughout this episode until the very end where he decides to call everyone in Springfield who were in need of left-handed objects (Moe, Burns etc.). I wouldn't give this episode a 4.75/5 if it weren't for a brilliant ending (love the song they sing at the end).

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry but Homer really is very mean in this episode and it wasn't funny, at least to me. I know it was for a purpose, to test Flanders, but I still found him rather unbearable throughout the first act and most of the second. Ending too was a bit corny. Not very funny either, but I don't think that's the main problem. I found the choreographer's smashing of the ice block with his head hilarious, purely because of the animation.

Subplot was also fairly boring and very short. And as said the ending does feel very corny. Still okay though. Thankfully I don't think season 3 sinks this low again.

C+, Homer was the main problem here and I think Ned has been "tested" better in other episodes.

Perhaps not one of the funniest episodes, but definitely one of the most touching.

Banned

Very good and the end was beautiful. 4/5

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought this episode was pretty funny, and I didn't have a problem with the so-called "Jerkass Homer" in it. The difference between Homer's characterization here and in other episodes where he behaves like a jerk is that he realizes his behaviour is bad. Sure, he was a jerk throughout most of the episode, but Flanders did end up getting his store back thanks to Homer, didn't he? I stand by the philosophy of "all's well that ends well", and that's what happened in this episode. The subplot was interesting enough, but not as good as the main plot. 4.5/5, rounded up to a 5 for the poll.

Blog Entries

I don't like the beginning of this episode because Homer is very mean.
    The rest is decent, and I enjoy the end a lot.
    4.5/5

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

i love this episode, but i don't get all the "jerkass" comparisons. the "jerkass" homer in later years is mostly a jerkass for the sake of being a jerkass. in 'when flanders failed', homer is the way he is (not that it's deserving, i should add) because of his perception that flanders is always sticking it to him. and like already mentioned throughout the thread, he did make up for it in a big way at the end.

ironically, if homer didn't attend the BBQ like he originally planned not to do, the leftorium would've tanked through no fault of his own....

WTF are you guys talking about? I read this thread and all are being like "Ugggh Homer was a Jerkass this episode minus points for that".Are you fucking retarded or what?
    It was fuckking established since the 1st episode that Homer hates Flanders.And Homer is not what you fucking percieve him to be.He always was a bit of a Jerkass especially towards people he hated like Flanders or Mr.Burns.What do you fucking expect Homer to be? As sweet as the fucking Care Bears on every episode or smth SMH? That would be fucking boring.
    You people disgust me.Homer had reasons for being a Jerk.Jerkass Homer belongs in the Scully Era where he's mad for the sake of comic relief not the early season.Here his rudeness actually contributes to the story.
    5/5 definetely.Classic Episode.It shows the Homer-Flanders Dynamic perfectly.

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rewatched this episode and it wasn't as great as I remember. Homer really was a jerk in this one. Still decent, but not as funny as I remember.

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

Yeah, Homer was really unlikable. I felt sorry for Ned. Not exactly a laugh-filled episode, but it had a sweet ending so 3.5/5
    In order to effect the maximum taste out of food such as a boiled sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel L Bronkowitz View Post
    i love this episode, but i don't get all the "jerkass" comparisons. the "jerkass" homer in later years is mostly a jerkass for the sake of being a jerkass. in 'when flanders failed', homer is the way he is (not that it's deserving, i should add) because of his perception that flanders is always sticking it to him. and like already mentioned throughout the thread, he did make up for it in a big way at the end.

ironically, if homer didn't attend the BBQ like he originally planned not to do, the leftorium would've tanked through no fault of his own....
    Thank you so Much for talking so MUCH SENSE.Users are docking points for Homer being a Jerk...when Homer is always a Jerk to Flanders...FFS..that's his relationship with Flanders...He HATES HIS GUTS

I didn't like this episode. I didn't laugh much, Homer was a bigger jerk than usual, I find it hard to believe that the leftorium failed just because Homer didn't tell a few people about it. Also, that part where they're both crying in Ned's front garden was so cringey. Worst episode of Season 3, possibly even the worst out of the first 5 seasons. 2/5
    Last edited by AngusCastle; 03-08-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Probably one of the weakest of season 3. But unlike others i dont really have a problem with Homer here, as he like in Dead Putting Society acts the way he does because he is jealous of Flanders "perfect life" the only part i can think of when he goes a little too far would be the yard scene. He is a jerk, but its not enough for me to have a problem with it, and he has an reason. Jerkass Homer would just be a jerk for no reason like in A Tale Of Two Springfields. Plus, he kind of made up for it at the end, when he helps out Flanders. I think my mainconcern with the episode is thats its an little dull and forgettable espacially for the season. The only really memorable parts, is Homer thinking of what he wishes, Homer at home, when the others are at the party. Homers "Boy, those germans have a word for everything, and the ending. But other than that pretty average for the season. Grade:B-

Thread Information