View Poll Results: Rate and Review Homer Defined

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 ("All systems returning to normal.")

60 49.18%
  • 4/5 ("We owe you one!")

50 40.98%
  • 3/5 ("You're not laughing. Too subtle?")

9 7.38%
  • 2/5 ("I guess there's nothing to do but kiss my sorry ass goodbye.")

2 1.64%
  • 1/5 ("Ah, I don't like this program.")

1 0.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R&R: Homer Defined

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it less every time I watch it, but a solid 4/5.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Junior Camper

This should say how great season 3 is. When this episode is a middle of the road episode and I still give it a 4/5.
    Last edited by H-o-m-e-r; 06-18-2010 at 03:33 PM.

3/5. It's a good episode but as far as post-classics go it's in the bottom 50.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Blog Entries

you consider this a post-classic?

I love this one. Totally sums up Homer, an idiot who gets lucky all the time.

This is really another amazing episode in Season 3! I've probably watched this one more than a dozen times in the last 7 years and I never get tired of it! The B story where Milhouse can't play with Bart anymore because Luan thinks Bart has a bad influence on her son is always entertaining but the main story is what's wonderful. I like the idea of putting in those small sequences where Homer is in the dictionary. And I laugh quite hard every time I see Bart take his BB gun out from under his bed once he has thanked Marge for getting him back on good terms with Milhouse.

I'd give this pretty much a solid 4.5/5.

A solid, fun episode.

Plus this:

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderoma View Post
    And I laugh quite hard every time I see Bart take his BB gun out from under his bed once he has thanked Marge for getting him back on good terms with Milhouse.
    they edit that out in syndication over here in australia, so i never saw that scene until i bought the dvd's. i assume they don't want kids going out and blowing each other's heads off with...bb guns.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's not a very detailed dictionary if "Lumbago" is right after "Lucky."

This episode is a classic! I've enjoyed it from the start.
    The episode is full of hilarious gags (like typical Simpsons.)
    One thing I didn't like about the episode were some of tacky humor they used at times. (which some dimwits DO find funny, but I do not)
    Overall I'd give it a 4/5

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Slow paced but enjoyable, despite being low on gags and having a slightly uninteresting storyline (Lisa idolising Homer wasn't very interesting, nor was Bart's subplot, really). Not a classic but a B nonetheless.

Great episode!! 4/5!!

Banned

A perfect example of a 4/5 or 8/10 episode.

Blog Entries

Good episode, I like all the dictionary jokes.
    3.5/5

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I was unnecessarily harsh on this episode before. It is funny, and not that boring. 7/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 10-27-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Pretty good episode. The Dictonary part, Burns comments about the movie, Burns lies, Homers flashback before he presses the button, Homer imaging the people wiouth clothes at the speech are all pretty hilarious. Grade:B+

5/5

Great episode

Junior Camper

Fair episode. 3/5

7/10. Not a great episode but it had its share of laughs. I enjoyed the way they kept on updating homers actions in the dictionary. Kent brockmans my 2 cents piece was also funny

The dictionary parts certainly make this episode unique. It's sad that it's the most forgotten episode of Season 3. It's not boring in the slightest.

4/5
    Favorite/Least Favorite episodes by season Season 1:Bart the Genius/ There's No Disgrace Like Home Season 2:Bart Gets an F/The War of the Simpsons[/COLOR] Season 3: Saturdays of Thunder/When Flanders Failed Season 4: A Streetcar Named Marge/Whacking Day Season 5: Homer's Barbershop Quartet/Lady Bouvier's Lover Season 6: Who Shot Mr. Burns?(part 1)/Another Simpsons Clip Show Season 7: Team Homer/Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Helfish" Season 8: Homer's Enemy/The Simpsons Spinoff Showcase Season 9: King of the Hill/The Principal and the Pauper Season 10: Bart the Mother/They Saved Lisa's Brain Season 11: Behind the Laughter/Eight Misbehavin' Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer/Pokey Mom Season 13: I am Furious(Yellow) /Homer the Moe Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can/Helter Shelter Season 15: 'Tis The Fifteenth Season/The President Wore Pearls Season 16: A Star is Torn/Treehouse of Horror XV Season 17: Marge's Song Poisoning/The Italian Bob Season 18: Marge Gamer/Moe 'N' A Lisa Season 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Papa Don't Leech Season 20: No Loan Again, Naturally/In The Name Of The Grandfather Season 21: O Brother, Where Bart Thou?/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed Season 22: 500 Keys/The Fool Monty Season 23: Politically Inept With Homer Simpson/The Man in the Blue Flannel Pants Season 24: Gorgeous Grampa/Homer Goes to Prep School Season 25: Steal This Episode/Days of Future Future Season 26:

Some of you people seriously need to lighten up. This is a pure classic, and stands as perhaps the funniest episode of my beloved Season 3 next to "Radio Bart". A+

well at least Smithers didn't stoop as low as he did in Simpson and Delilah. Oh yeah and I guess this is the first time we see Luann Van Houten, and we don't see his dad until a few episodes later
    Last edited by ComicBookGal; 04-26-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Junior Camper

The perfect example of how to do a Homer episode RIGHT. Great balance between him being grossly incompetent but still a likeable protagonist. Homer feeling guilty after everyone mistakenly believes he saved the day and not wanting their praise and admiration is something that should be a given when it comes to his character, but a later season Homer would embrace it and infantilize himself. Here, he feels human. Not to mention this is balanced by a great sublot. Bart and Milhouse are great together, and their plot is relatable to lot of kids who found themselves in similar situations. The most well-recieved classic Simpsons episodes are usually the ones which draw on relatable things, but not the most obvious ones, moreso the ones you watch and which make you go "oooh yeah, that's happened to me!"

I think this episode excells, mainly because everyone is super in-character, and it makes the whole episode better overall. Even characters like Marge and Lisa, who don't have much input, shine during the scenes they're in. Not to mention the gags come fast, clever and memorable. And a subtly sweet ending to cap it off. It combines all the best individual ingredients of classic Simpsons to make a sweet cake. Underrated IMO.

9.5/10

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

Good episode.

It's enough decent, but with a few of comedy moments.
    I like Smither's declaration of love for Burn's and how Homer "was added" to the dictionary. (The Simpsons partly predicted it)

plot 21/25
    absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 21/25
    comedy 19/25
    originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 23/25

TOTAL 84/100. GOOD!
    IMHO the most and the least favourite episodes of each season (without clipshows and trilogy episodes):
    1. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Bart the Lover/Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge Gets a Job 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Burns’ Heir 6. ’Round Springfield/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Bart the Fink 8. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious/The Springfield Files 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Das Bus 10. Maximum Homerdrive/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Faith Off/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Three Gays of the Condo 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Pranksta Rap 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/The Italian Bob 18. The Wife Aquatic/Rome-old and Juli-eh 19. He Loves to Fly and He D’ohs/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/In the Name of the Grandfather 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Stealing First Base 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Love Is a Many Strangled Thing 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/The Ten-Per-Cent Solution 24. The Saga of Carl/Penny-Wiseguys 25. Brick Like Me/The Man Who Grew Too Much 26. Bart’s New Friend/Simpsorama 27. Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream 28. The Town/Trust but Clarify 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 30. TBA/TBA

I think that opinions may differ how many people, so many opinions.

Thread Information