View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode? (This week, we rate by Super Bowl heroes, etc.)

Voters
474. You may not vote on this poll
  • V/V: An all-around great performance, GUARANTEED by Joe Namath.

83 17.51%
  • VI/V: Just made perfection by one kick, like Adam Vinateri.

84 17.72%
  • III/V: Stumbling and bumbling but getting the job done, like William "The Refrigerator" Perry.

138 29.11%
  • II/V: Close, but down at the 1-yard line, like Kevin Dyson.

83 17.51%
  • I/V: Like Scott Norwood, wiiiiiiiiiide right.

86 18.14%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Rate/Review: Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass (GABF02)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the first act is one of the worst to come out of the show. just horrible. however the last 2 acts aren't bad, just not good either. 2/5

Junior Camper

Just watched this episode on the cable rerun marathon and I absolutely detest it. Homer was in full obnoxious jerkass mode, the guest stars were wasted, the plot, script and dialogue were weak, the jokes weren't funny and Ned's character continues to jump the shark post-Maude.

I'll be generous and give this a 1/5 because I actually quite liked the Noah's ark sequence and finding out Comic Book Guy's real name. But otherwise this one was just terrible

3/5

Homer being a jerkass dancer of himself was just stupid. The "halftime show" in Act 3 made up for the first half of the episode.

Blog Entries

somewhat bland, 3/5 because it is somewhat funny {"Let's get physical, physical!}

Blog Entries

Pretty good episode. Not much for plot, but it has some decent laughs. 4/5

2/5 Meh. There were a few good moments, like that website, but overall... meh.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess I would be among the haters about this episode. It's seriously the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in the series, with Simpson Safari.

It seems it gets some esteem from its satire and cultural references. Let me say that there are few episodes as consistently annoying in these terms as this one. "Good satire" or "good parody" are both pretty ambiguous terms, but anyway they have something to do with a redeeming quality to remark; call it subtlety, spontaneity, good atmosphere, surprising tone or hilarity. Now take the example of Mario. Was it subtle? Of course not. I'd even say it was pretty much of an in-your-face parody. Spontaneous? As much as the fact that a video game character was in a bus and got off just in front of the Simpsons' house, to have a lame interaction before the joke. Atmospheric? Fuck no. There was nothing remarkable in that way. Surprising? Despite I couldn't guess the exact development, I still found it predictable. Hilarious? It seems some of you laughed at the scene, it did nothing for me. And, as well as it could have been a funny joke about video games, it was actually a lame reference based on a weak statement, something like a "Look, it's Mario for no reason at all! Laugh!", where the coherence was sacrificed and the scene was forced at all.

And this case could be extrapolated to the main plots. For example, Flanders. Yes, I agree his movies might be an interesting review of Passion Of Christ, and of course the idea tranmits a satiric point of view about the religion with obvious touches of fanaticism. Should it be automatically saved in view of this premise? Again, I have to say "no". As simplysimpsons said, I don't feel well with this portrayal of Ned. No matter what it's said about a more fanatic behaviour after the death of Maude, this characterizations feels completely anti-Flanders for me. He has lost the joy, vitality and kindness that made his character so special, in order to show a more realistic? (I think this one is as painfully realistic as a suicide bomber Homer) attitude regarding his own religious beliefs. I just don't agree the fact that Neddy, because he is an intensely religious man, has to represent the profile of a furious fundamentalist. So, his gore movies could have some parodic value but they don't fit Flanders. It's the same problem of gratuitous relation that makes the idea of a satiric concept go beyond the logic.

And apart from these we had 22 minutes of disgusting gore movies, embarrassing choreographies (I can't see the scene of Homer's dancing with people, it makes me flush), overuse of guest stars combined with very few ideas to administer them well (I think I only laughed at Milhouse admiring Michelle Kwan), terrible humour and an extremely dull storyline. Some good gags here and there don't thwart an absolute disaster that shows even some mistakes that were presumably overcome. It was so loaded with crap that it made me think it wasn't a serious episode but a twisted joke or a "Don't do this" guide for future scripts. 2/10
    Last edited by jal90; 06-16-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Blog Entries

I know I get repetitive when I see this episode's thread, but I can't help myself from saying that this is the worst episode in the entire series (At least for me) It fails in every category. I would rather watch Homer spin around like a helicopter than watch this. 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFiles View Post
    somewhat bland, 3/5 because it is somewhat funny {"Let's get physical, physical!}
    agree with every word of this.

there was no really substance or anything - which is probably why people anger at it more for its pure randomness.

3/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

A bottom ten episode for me. Just about the only thing going for it is that the voice acting and animation is better than it has been at points since then. Maybe one or two laughs and a ton of painful gags. 1/5

Wears sneakers for sneaking Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fair episode, I LOVED it when Comic Book Guy's name was revealed. (I have a very strange obsession with names)

P.S. Didn't anybody notice the roman numeral for 4/5 is incorrect?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

1/5. I hate this episode. Its too bad that they pumped this episode up so much. They should've aired a decent episode after the Super Bowl. Get people who haven't seen the show in a while to start watching it again.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 16 continues with Homer being hired to do the Super Bowl halftime show! But first, the family stumbles upon a charity drive to restore the Springfield Park to its natural beauty. Here, Ned buys a camera, Homer makes a jerk-ass of himself on said camera, and we find out Comic Book Guy's real name is Jeff Albertson. Nothing too funny here though, I guess the Crazy Cat Lady gag at the beginning was alright though. The video of Homer goes viral and soon people across the world are laughing at Homer(kinda ironic huh?) We get an utterly brilliant scene of original Donkey Kong gameplay footage that is probably the best part of this episode. Then, Homer is contacted by sports stars to help them make total asses out of themselves too. I'm not going to bother with naming the stars but suffice to say they are all pretty terrible and pointless.

Ned meanwhile has decided to make bible films with his camera. The films are very gory and a decent enough satire of both films like Passion of the Christ, and Cecil B. Demille's Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments. The movies become a hit and Ned is soon being sponsored by Mr. Burns. All is not well however as Marge is discouraged by the bloodbaths in each movie. I love Bart's gag with the bible kit for wise-asses. At opening night, it turns out Ned's film is 800 minutes long(pretty good) and I love Burns as the Columbia Pitures mascot shouting "I'm Richer Than You!" The film itself is what you'd expect and the town loves it, but Marge manages to sway the crowd against it and Burns tells Ned the film will never be seen again.

Homer meanwhile has become so popular that he is given the job of Super Bowl halftime show. Lacking any idea of what to do, Homer teams up with New to make one last bible epic. I think the only line involving guest stars I actually liked is delivered here by Michelle Kwan. The crowd, naturally, hates the show and our episode ends with the family and pointless guest stars celebrating anyway.

Wow, where to begin? This episode receives a lot of hate but its not the worst episode ever. Its biggest problems include: Homer and Ned are basically caricatures of their former selves, pointless guest stars, and lack of solid humor. It does have some genuinely funny gags though. Its more stupid than aggravating to me. Still, easily the worst of the season so far, 2/5.

Stonecutter

I just saw this again the other week, and it really struck me how much I didn't like it!

Not being an American Football fan probably made it worse.
    "I shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy I found in the parking lot..."

3/10, the worst of Season 16, alongside Goo Goo Gai Pan. Another Simpsons/American Football mess, just like Sunday Cruddy Sunday and Faith Off.

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

Come on, this is horrible! Horrible! Come on, this is horrible! This is so horrible! Why don't people see this?

Well, it did make the bottom 50 episodes of all time, but reviews on here seem to be mixed, though i've only seen page 1 and 8 of this thread. Anyway - a disgusting episode. Sickening jokes (the kid with the disease) - stupid jokes (Homer dancing) - and extremely forced pop culture references (to Pac-Man, Super Mario and more!) Woo-hoo! Nah, seriously. 1/5
    In order to effect the maximum taste out of food such as a boiled sweet.

Blog Entries

One of poorer episodes of Season 16.

2.5/5 or 5.5/10

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Terrible. Homer is irritating, neither of the plots is the least bit engaging, the jokes aren't funny, and there are a bunch of guest stars playing themselves. 2/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

Better than i remembered but still nothing very good. Grade: C+

Banned
    Blog Entries

Easily the worst episode of season 16. a few laughs but also a lot of painful gags and its overall a boring and pointless episode. Grade: D-

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Pretty awful episode. The whole Homer plot was stupid and Ned's plot was lame and not to mention, Ned was OOC. Forgettable at best and stick to Lisa the Greek Sunday Cruddy Sunday instead. 1/10
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Blog Entries

good episode for season 16. homer is such a stupid asshole here it's amazing, but i love it. flanders' subplot is kind of garbage but the way it connects at the end to form the christian half-time show (that everyone hates in a pretty good twist) is quite nice. 3/5 i guess

Did anybody else notice how similar Politically Inept was to this episode, with Homer becoming famous for acting like an idiot in a viral video on the internet? You know things are bad when Zombie Simpsons has to rip off other episodes of Zombie Simpsons.

Why game 7, WHY? Return Of The Living Trab's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did, and I also noticed that The Winter Of Monetized Content was like that as well.

Anyway, a another disappointment to add to the many failed Super Bowl failures. Maybe it would be better if Lisa The Greek was aired every time another Super Bowl aired.

And this was bad. Ryan Leaf Bad.

1/5.

What about that, 6/5, 5/5, 2/5 and 1/5 are almost identical!

Junior Camper

pretty funny episode, sometimes when just go all out on wackiness and try to make a really funny episode even if the story is a bit ridiculous it can actually work. there were a lot of good jokes in this. both homer and ned's characterization are way off here, but they've been like this for a while now so it doesn't really matter. in this episode clearly they just wanted to make something funny. and it succeeded at that, so i'll give it a low 3.5/5 or a 3 on the poll. not a masterpiece or anything close to that (lisa the greek is a million times better ofc), but good enough for what it is.

Blog Entries

I really don't find this episode as bad as everyone says.
    I mean, yeah it's not great (would still rank it as one of season 16's lesser efforts), but overhated nevertheless. At least there are some good lines occasionally, most of all in the subplot. "I killed a baby! I'm a monster!" was easily my favorite joke. It doesn't sound funny reciting it, but is uproarious in context. This is how you can do religious nut Ned work, by making it over-the-top and silly rather than genuinely unpleasant.
    The main plot with Homer is servicable, but the heavy reliance on guest stars is hit-and-miss. Some of them do deliver some chuckles, but I can see people getting annoyed by how much they are featured, and they're not as iconic as the baseball team in Homer At The Bat. Still, I've seen far worse examples.
    I rated it 6.4/10. It's okay. Pretty middle-of-the-road, but certainly not a disaster.
    Last edited by The OSSist; 09-23-2020 at 07:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Why game 7, WHY? Return Of The Living Trab's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, Strangely, I liked this more than Sunday, Cruddy Sunday. Though the ending leaves the episode on a low point.
    But other than that, it was good.

3.5/5
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/Now Museum, Now You Don't.

Thread Information