• 1/5

1 0.55%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R&R Marge Be Not Proud

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One Word: Brilliant

I love 'Marge Be Not Proud'. In fact, I love it so much, it's my second favourite Simpsons episode of all time - and that's a position I think it will always be in. 'Marge Be Not Proud' is a perfect mix of emotion and humour. Although it may not be in everyone's top ten, it is the best 'Marge and Bart relationship' episode so far, the best christmas episode, and one of the best episodes of Season 7.

You would think that an episode that deals with serious issues like shoplifting wouldn't be that funny, but it surprisingly is - moreso than some 'gagfest' episodes. The humour is consistently strong throughout the first two acts - not as strong in the third act, but the final act is more of an emotional one. There are too many funny moments to list, but there are several highlights. 'Marge, is Lisa at camp Grenada?' was great, and so was Homer studying the picture of him saying 'I suck', and saying 'Hey, I don't remember saying that!'. In fact, Homer was hilarious in this episode, as he usually is when not in the spotlight. Homer calling Reverend Lovejoy 'Captain Whatshisname', and saying 'Must have been a pretty slow century', in response to seeing the Flanders time issue had me laughing out loud. A special mention goes to Milhouse, who also had some pretty funny scenes.

The plot, characterisation and emotion of the episode was perfect. The plot was well paced, and nicely grounded. I felt genuine empathy towards Bart, as he felt isolated and guilty throughout a lot of the episode. The personal experience of Mike Scully improved it, showing he CAN write a good episode... but isn't all that great at showrunning. Marge acted believably - distant and 'shellshocked' rather than angry. The ending of the episode was amazing, and tied things up nicely. Bart showed that he valued his mother's love more than material goods (by tactfully pretending to be pleased with 'Lee Carvallos' Putting Challenge'), and Marge forgave her 'special little guy'. Superb.

Overall, as I've said, this episode is brilliant - a Simpsons masterpiece. Unsurprisingly, my final score is:
    5/5 and A+
    Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: mrserious

I really liked the real emotion you sensed from the characters..nice jokes in it too "Thrillho"

Heart-wrenching episode, and even though it maybe not intentional it also represents the misery and excitement of Christmas.

5/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Flawless. Absolutely flawless.

First off, I have got to give credit to Julie Kavner for her excellent voice acting in this one. Marge's disappointed "Oh, Bart" after finding out her son shoplifted is absolutely perfect, as is her "good night" to Bart a little later in the episode. But the emotion doesn't stop at the voice acting. The characterization here was spot on, I felt genuine empathy for both Bart and Marge.

Secondly, this episode is a perfect example of combining this heart with humour. Where the episode wasn't making me fight back tears, it was making me howl with laughter. Homer was awesome in this one, especially his "punishment" for Bart and "Captain Whatsisface". The very ending had me in tears, first from emotion and then from laughter at Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge. One of my favourite episodes of all time, and why I watch The Simpsons. 5/5 is simply not enough.

Blog Entries

Perfect. I can't find any error with this episode. It was just that good. And I agree with Riveria, Kavner's voice acting was truly phenomenal. Whoever cast the single vote in the 1/5 section of the poll obviously has no sense.

Banned

Incredible episode. 5/5, 10/10, A+

Just watched my favourite episode again,and I realised why I like it so much.I hate to be negative,but it's not so much what is in the episode(which is great),but what isn't in it.There's no "zaniness for the sake of zaniness"(well..very little anyway),there's no flavour of the month celebrities playing themselves (and showing up in Springfield for some very improbable reason),no regulars veering wildly off-character to suit the plot,and there are no retro montages taking up valuable air time-in short,it is The Simpsons pared down to the essentials,and the end result is a very funny,thoughtful and moving episode.
    Last edited by Cam23; 02-08-2012 at 03:01 PM.

I'm sorry but I'm just not sure about this episode. The comedy is there but I feel like it's kind of a weak plot. Bart shoplifts, Marge isn't happy, Bart thinks his mum hates him, Bart gets her a present which sorts things out between him and Marge and then everything is back to normal. It sounds like a cheesy American Christmas movie with a really predictable ending. I found this episode quite sad and depressing in parts. Also, I really DON'T like that security guard. 3/5

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

^
    This, except I liked Don Brodka and I would give it a 4/5.

Never really understood the love for this one. It's a good episode, but I thought similar themes were handled better in different episodes (Bart vs Thanksgiving, for example).
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

Marge Be Not Proud is one of my favourite episodes of all time. So many classic lines, scenes and moments. Plus, my nostalgia for watching it over and over again on the same VHS tape I used to record it off TV is through the roof.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

5. One of the best ever.

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't usually comment on the classic-era episodes, mostly because the kid inside me who first watched those episodes is long gone and I don't feel like picking those memories to pieces as an adult. HOWEVER, I was looking for the DVD feature about "The Simpsons' House" in Las Vegas on the Season 8 box... and I watched that, along with "Homer's Enemy." I looked at the box and thought, "Well... nothing else I want to watch from this season tonight. Hmm... let's watch some Season 7 episodes." I pulled out the set, popped in the first disc... nothing there I wanted to watch. Popped in the second disc, and... wow. "Marge Be Not Proud" was a Season 7 episode? Much less, it was sandwiched by "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular" and "Team Homer?" What an episode run!

I had really forgotten that this episode came so late in the series. In my mind, this episode was from somewhere in Seasons 3 - 4. Just a wonderful episode, if just for Marge's utter heartbreak in the scene after they come home from Try-N-Save. If I'm not mistaken, that's the first time we see Marge totally defeated and downtrodden. That really struck a chord with me as a kid, and still tugs at my heart today.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Banned
    Blog Entries

One of my favorites. 5/5

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Apparently, I never posted a review here. Well, this is an excellent episode that develops the relationship between Marge and Bart. Marge loves her children unconditionally, even though Bart is a much worse kid, in almost every way, than Lisa. But, for that reason, their relationship constantly has more strain, and that becomes too much in this episode and it threatens their relationship. Marge treating Bart more like an adult is counter to her character, because she usually dreads the thought of her kids growing up and not being a mother to them as much. I think her treatment of him happens because their relationship is threatened so much by Bart's shoplifting. In her eyes, treating Bart like an adult is the ultimate punishment. Not only is she angry at Bart for his crime, but she is also angry at him for forcing her to confront the fact that he is growing up. As evidence by "Tuck-in Time," she still thinks Bart is a kid, so his shoplifting comes as a big shock to her, even more than it would otherwise. On the other hand, her treatment of Bart is also an expression of her love for him. If she loved him any less, she wouldn't have reacted so strongly. When Bart gives her the picture of him, it demonstrates to her that he is the troubled but ultimately good kid she used to think he was, but it also demonstrates maturity. Marge is forced to confront the fact that he is growing up, but she can now be proud of her son and it is an easier fact for her to accept.

The characterizations of Marge and Bart are excellent here. This is possibly the best characterization of Marge in the whole series. People have mentioned Bart returning to Try-N-Save to get his picture taken as a plot hole. I've never really thought of it as such, but it could be. It could also be a symbol of Bart's development from the kind of kid who shoplifts to a kid who takes a nice picture of himself as a Christmas present for his mother. Try-N-Save was the scene of his disgrace, so he returned there to fix things. Overall, this is an excellent episode, but it doesn't reach the heights of some other episodes. 9/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 01-04-2014 at 05:48 PM.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: mrserious

A+ one of my favorite episodes
    Having such a vast vocabulary really embiggens my pride

4>3>2>6>7>5>8>9>1>10>12>11>14>15>16>13> the rest I don't know how to organize but they share the quality of not being as good as S13 to me

Blog Entries

what i like:

-"Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!"
    "Young man, in this house we use a little word called "please".

-that spoiler brat, Gavin I think his name was

-Don Bradka was an interesting character

-the genuine emotion in the later half of the episode, such as the snowman scene

-Thrillho

-the Troy McClure video on shoplifting

-the ending

-the end credits

really great episode, among my favorites of one of my favorite seasons. can't give it less than a 5/5

To Professionalism! DarkDiamond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a true classic. There is so much true emotion shown here. I felt so sorry for Bart when Marge didn't say goodnight to him. Characterization from all characters are perfect. This is certainly one of the best of Season 7. And Don Brodka was hilarious.

Flawless episode. 10/10
    Zombie Simpsons - Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps - F The Wreck of the Relationship - F Super Franchise Me - D- Treehouse of Horror XXV - D Opposites A-Frack - D Simpsorama - D+ Blazed and Confused - D Covercraft - D I Won't Be Home for Christmas - D+ The Man Who Came to Be Dinner - C- Bart's New Friend - D The Musk Who Fell to Earth - F Walking Big & Tall - D

Family Guy - Season 13
    The Simpsons Guy - B The Book of Joe - C- Baking Bad - C+ Brian the Closer - C Turkey Guys - B+ The 2000-Year-Old Virgin - F Stewie, Chris, & Brian's Excellent Adventure - B Our Idiot Brian - B- This Little Piggy - D Quagmire's Mom - C

my favorite xmas special

Stonecutter

I watched this today for the first time in many years. Loved it just as much as ever. This is the show at its finest - bittersweet. The acting is superb. As Prune Tracy comments, massive credit to Julie Kavner here. The characterizations here were superb, somewhat ironic to think that this was a Mike Scully episode. That said, I always thought Scully wrote Marge well in Season Nine, but it soon went downhill. Bart, however, turns from a multifaceted character into a more one-dimensional character under Scully. But, still, credit when credit is due, you can't take this away from him. Yes, only part of the episode was penned by him, but seeing as the entire episode was class, credit due indeed.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

One of the best episodes ever.
    10/10
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe it’s just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

i think it's good, but it's a little sappy. i don't think it's bad or anything, and i do really like it, but it doesn't have a ton of great jokes, and the emotion is a tad empty, but still a bit there. 4/5. it's actually my third favorite simpsons christmas episode, after miracle and roasting

online & ready 2 upload posts BLOODFELLA's Avatar
    Blog Entries

this episode opens with perhaps the best opening line ever

It's a Krusty Kinda Khristmas, brought to you by ILG: selling
    your body's chemicals after you die. And by Li'l Sweetheart Cupcakes -- a subsidiary of ILG

Fantastic episode. The storyline and character development drive this episode for me. 5/5, A.

This is one of my favorite, it always cheers me up when I see it, it feels like a season 2 or 3 episode but firs perfectly in a near-flawless 7th season.
    Season 28 rankings

Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus: 3/10 Friends and Family: 7/10 The Town: 7.5/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVII: 5/10 Dry Hard: 6/10 BFF R.I.P: 6/10 Moefinger: 4/10 Trust But Clarify: 5/10 There Will Be Buds: 8/10 Havana Wild Weekend: 1/10 Dad Behavior: 2/10 The Last Traction Hero: 5.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas: 4.5/10 Pork and Burns: 6/10 The Great Phatsby: 5/10 Fatzcarraldo: 3.5/10 The Cad and the Hat: 3/10 Kamp Krustier: 2.5/10 22 for 30: 8/10 A Father's Watch: 6.5/10 Caper Chase: 1/10

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Here's to at least two more seasons of passable television!

I post here (sometimes) Ben Dewison's Avatar

Marge Be Not Proud

Communication: On the surface this seems like a simple but effective episode based on positive morality. It is understandable that the mother of a struggling household would be prejudiced against buying a video game based on its price tag and violence, which is also the case for the son then making a split second decision to steal it. It was made clear that Bart was overwhelmed with jealousy at having decisions affecting his life being made entirely by his out of touch parents. However, there were many subtleties that made it more complicated. The alpha-male security man’s tactics in fear evoking Bart, especially in encouraging him never to return, were effective in showing cynical and corrupt attitudes that can exist in firms, where the child’s long-term interests are neglected at the expense of their private short-term ones. Marge’s subsequent behaviour in isolating herself from him was especially effective, as it allowed him to feel the consequences of having no parental interference and emphasised how humbling it is to have no external factor to rebel against. But it was also important that she did interfere when believing Bart stole something else, as doing otherwise would suggest that parents are not responsible for their child’s harm to society. 7/8

Insight: It also helped that this episode was hilarious. The opening advertisements were perfect examples of parody, as in the first Krusty was shamelessly using overt material that did not have any personal appeal to him, while the second effectively showed how scenes with no basis in reality can provide an emotional appeal, which panders to an audience over a logical one. The scene where Bart stole the video game was similarly well-handled, as his previous longing for possession or control of his decisions supplied his underlying intent, but his sudden spite towards the other crass boy fortified his courage. This ensured the story had a point, reflected reality and did not sell out Bart’s character. The imagery was also excellent in helping establish the distance between Bart and the rest of the family, particularly the array of family photos and Bart’s snowman. 4/4

Technique: The conflict between Bart and Marge actually used the story to help develop their characters permanently. That is a benchmark for all character-driven episodes. It had already been explained in Bart Gets an F that Marge coddling him was a constraint to his personal and academic development, but this showed how hard her detachment hits his identity. It also uncovered new depth in Marge’s character, as instead of it seeming like her actions were merely intentional attempts to gain their attention, it was discovered that she actually was slightly out-of-touch with Bart. Also, instead of resorting to the status-quo by coming up a half-baked conclusion like ‘we need Bart’s wild antics to provide the excitement in our lives’, Bart actually learned far more from isolation than any of Homer’s incoherent, nonsensical shouting and made a necessary effort to adapt to her needs. The futility of Homer’s ramblings was also explained in Dead Putting Society, while him misinterpreting the tape was a classic example of him thoughtlessly taking a message literally, no matter how absurd it sounds in reality. This was prominent in Last Exit to Springfield. 2/2

Consistency: This episode only had one plot which facilitated the focus and development of the emotions of every vested party throughout. Both Bart and Marge’s emotions were foreshadowed before the climax, when she discovered that Bart stole, and escalated in each proceeding scene until the resolution. Marge desperately asserting in front of the crowd that the security guard got the wrong boy was a powerful example of this, as was Bart’s sigh after realising he could not fill his empty void by doing things with Luann. 1/1

Total: 14/15 or 5/5. As for the poll, all of my 5/5s should be A*’s, but this will be given an A as the lower 5/5 option. My grades come from dividing 15 by 7 and going from there. Here is the breakdown:

0, 1 or 2- U

3 or 4- E

5 or 6- D

7, 8 or 9- C

10 or 11- B

12 or 13- A

14 or 15- A*

Blog Entries

Just found a neat little callback to this ep. In the Lego Dimensions game, if you put Bart together with Sonic, Sonic does the "Just take it" bit.
    How to remaster

Marge Be Not Proud managed to squeeze itself into my top ten recently. I went through my entire season 7 DVD and was pleasantly surprised by this episode. The third act is one of the saddest in the whole show, and Bart showing Marge the new photo always brings me to tears. Marge and Bart's relationship is depicted so realistically and tragically, it's an episode that plays perfectly into O/W's character-driven strengths.

Of course, it's still got tons of great jokes (which keeps it from feeling too much like a season 2 episode - it's the difference between an episode like this and Bart Vs. Thanksgiving), and Lawrence Tierney is great in it, if nothing else, for the stories about him via the commentary.

A+

5/5

Easily one of my favorite episodes ever. Excellent humor and so much emotion and character depth in this one. Marge not be proud demonstrates that, Bart, despite all of his flaws, has a good heart. We've seen this in past and future episodes, but not like this. The story is real and relate-able also which is what makes it so great.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOODFELLA View Post
    this episode opens with perhaps the best opening line ever
    kind of makes me wonder why they put in the cupcakes
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

I revisited this episode yesterday, and it kind of brings back memories of how Christmas used to be for me, back then that was the only time of year when I could have my console games set up. I really do miss my master system (I wonder if the bonestorm ads were a parody of the Sega Saturn commercials in Japan)

Thread Information