41 23.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R&R Call of the Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

plot 19/25
    absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 23/25
    comedy 20/25
    originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 24/25

TOTAL 86/100. GOOD! This episode is in 3rd plase of this season episodes.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 24/04/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Bart’s Inner Child 6. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part I)/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 8 > 5 > 9 > 27 > 21 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 12 > 15 > 10 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: CrumbBum

And people say the show started getting wacky during the Scully or Mirkin years? This episode proves there was wackiness since season 1. A great episode by the way, one of the best in season 1.

I think the first act is the best part of the episode. Specifically the stuff with Big Bob is really funny and makes the rest of the episode really underwhelming. The main joke of Homer and Bart having bad survival skills while Lisa and Marge do well is really dull and makes a good chunk of the episode pretty boring. Not even the third act can save it since, aside from the newspaper gags, I don't find it very funny. Luckily, Maggie's cute subplot and the beginning give this episode some value. 6/10

The plot is very cartoony, but it's a very funny episode. By the way, I'm a big fan of the last four minutes of the episode. One of the best of the first season, 4/5.

rather typical considering that this only happens because Homer was jealous of Flanders, and yeah Flanders hardly ever used that RV we only see it like one other time
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

Still love this episode. I was in 5th grade. Still had my hair. Boy do I miss my hair. The bears. The bees. Big foot. All of it.

Blog Entries

Thumbs Up The Call Of The Simpsons

Call Of The Simpsons.jpg

"The Call Of The Simpsons" is a pretty good episode of "The Simpsons". It doesn't have the emotional level of "Moaning Lisa" or the relatability of "Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire", but this doesn't mean it doesn't deserve credit for the character development and the bonds it created.

I really love the father-son bond in this one! It shows us how similar Homer and Bart are and how good the get along! They team up together in order to succeed, which is something that the modern Homer J. Simpson will never do or the modern Bartholomew Jo-Jo Simpson. They would probably kill each other in the second act anyway! However, the characterisations of these two wouldn't allow this, which is something good! We see them trying to survive, but to do so they fell off a cliff, lost all their clothes, were attacked by animals and they fell in the mud, well the last two were just Homer messing around with mother nature! I really enjoyed seeing this two get along....for this episode.

Now, I should probably give credit to John Swartzwelder for developing one of my favourite bonds in the series: the Marge-Lisa bond! These two really have a lot in common and they make so many great, heartwarming scenes! It is a shame they didn't make more episodes, like "Moaning Lisa" or little happy moments like in "The Call Of The Simpsons"! One of my favourite scenes was the one where Marge and Lisa are about to go to sleep and Marge tells her what a great woodsman her father is and they cuddle together! Aww.....! I couldn't picture a greater thing than a girl talking with her mother, before going to sleep!

As for little Maggie.....well......she is hanging around with bears! I don't know, but I feel like Maggie should have followed Homer and Bart, because she could have helped them, instead of being friends with bears. It just feels stupid for "The Simpsons" to have an infant interacting with grizzles, because we all know that Maggie would have probably been cut into a million pieces or simply eaten. However, Maggie managed the unimaginable and warmed my heart, when I saw her sleeping with her friends...the...bears!

ACT 1

Act 1 is portrayed similarly to "Bart The Genius" and this means another family moment! I love the relaxed father, watering the plants, the son wanting to help his father mow the lawn and being annoyed by his fellow neighbour! God, the Flanders' where really showing off without even realising! So, Ned Flanders shows up with his new RV and in order to keep up with Flanders, Homer decides to buy his own RV. He takes the family to an RV Round-Up, where the owner, Bob, comes out and introduces them to the ultimate Behemoth and gives them a tour. I would argue that this guy is fraud to everybody around him, but at least he didn't throw Homer out. Anyway, while the kids are absolutely impressed by the RV and believe it is even better than their own house, Marge worries about the cost of it, but is constantly ignored by the others. When Homer finally wants to know how much it costs, they go inside the store to check his credit card, which much to their dismay, is not in Homer's price range, thus the system doesn't allow the owner to proceed the deal. However, Homer doesn't want to go home with empty hands, so he begs Bob to give something that is not out of his price range. Fortunately for Homer, he is able to give him an old, beaten up and mostly run down RV to which Marge and the kids are not pleased. They attempt to get him to refuse, but Homer ignores them and buys it.

Later, they gloat to Flanders about their RV and the family heads for an excursion to go camping, which I believe is really stupid, even for Homer, to drive this thing, in the woods! On their way there, Homer makes a dumb decision and takes his own path to the woods, resulting in them nearly dying and they RV completely destroyed! Act 1 ends!

The Simpsons have entered the woods.jpg

ACT 2

This is basically the real start of the main plot, with the family being left with nothing, but the clothes and lost in the middle of a forest. Homer tries to relax them, as he is an experienced woodsman. He then builds a shelter for Marge and Lisa and goes with Bart to find help, unaware that Maggie is following them. I think this is Marge in her most irresponsible attitude! I wouldn't trust Homer with Maggie, even if I was an alien, especially after the events of "Homer Alone". I love their thinking that the sucking ogf Maggie's pacifier is the same as the sound a rattle snake makes! However, Maggie gets completely lost and tries to befriends with a bear by giving him pacifier, so he doesn't eat her. I know it is one of those "Maggie is cute" moments but bears eat humans in real life, so this scene makes me freak out and laugh at the same time. Back to Homer and Bart, the two of them manage to fall down a waterfall to which Homer almost believes Bart is dead. They lose their clothes and attempt to make new ones out of leaves! Then, we have a series of good jokes, like Homer trying to make a trap for the animals, so they can eat, Homer trying to catch a rabbit, the revenge go the other animals etc. In the meantime, Maggie is doing great with her new family, the grizzles, sharing a lot of cute moments together.

Meanwhile, Marge and Lisa are doing fine on their own, having build a much better shelter themselves and tidying up the camp. At night, the two of them have a little talk, before going to sleep together, while the boys are freezing outside and Maggie sleeps in the beck of a bear. Act 2 ends.

Marge and Lisa.jpg Maggie and The bears.jpg

ACT 3

The next morning, Homer and Bart are searching for some food. They attempt to steal some honey, but the bees attack Homer and make him fall in the mud. Unfortunately, cameraman is there too and is able to take a photograph of Homer, assuming he is the legendary creature, "Bigfoot". The scene later cuts to breaking news on television, where they give a reward of 5.000$ to anyone, who catches "Bigfoot". Marge and Lisa are later found and surprised by the "Bigfoot" story, even more when they realise it is Homer. Meanwhile, Homer, still covered in mud, goes into a bears cave and he discovers Maggie inside of it. The three of them start to wander again, until the hunters come and capture Homer. After several studies and tests, Homer is able to go home. In the end, we see Dr. Marvin Monroe announcing that it is not the "Bigfoot", but rather a normal human being, with Homer being worried about his co-workers teasing him, while Marge tries to console him.

Bigfoot.jpg

Overall, "The Call Of The Simpsons" is a solid episode, with a pretty fun story and an adventure. The first adventure of "The Simpsons" takes a 4/5 and a B+/A- for the poll!

It reminds me of the "Son of Bigfoot"!

Prediction? Maybe........
    Last edited by Simpson's Fan; 03-10-2020 at 04:33 AM.

Junior Camper

Super funny episode, still very experimental as many simpson in the first season ( The character change like in every episode ), love the music in background and the Homer/ Big foot thing ,5/5 for me

A pretty good and solidly entertaining episode, despite maybe not being one of the first season's strongest works. The story is very simplistic and tends to dip into the more cartoonish at times with several of its sequences, but it ends up working due to an amusing and actually quite funny Swartzwelder script that makes this one really quite memorable and likeable overall.

The plot itself, about Homer being envious of Ned Flanders' new RV getting an RV for himself (albeit an much more used and banged up one than Ned's more pristine and new one) and taking the family on an camping trip but running them all into literal trouble when he manages to get them all stranded in the vast wilderness of the forest outside Springfield, is one of the more simple early ones, but still has a lot to like, such as Homer getting the RV from the salesman Cowboy Bob (the first of several Albert Brooks roles on the show), the family starting their trip and getting stuck in the woods when the RV goes off a cliff & there's some nice jokes about the wildlife and their struggle to survive, before it takes an pretty extreme turn towards the end with a big misunderstanding.

Splitting them up into pairs opened up for nice possibilities, with Homer & Bart going to get some food but ending up really lost (and without clothes, that they replace with leaves and shrubs) & trying to unsuccessfully capture a rabbit for eating (which had a nice slingshot joke), Marge & Lisa arranging the camp (Marge stacking the strangely stiff & static squirrels on log always amuse me) & Maggie runs into some bears on an personaö forest excursion (and they take her to their lair, bonds with her and starts to bring her stuff). Not much is done with Marge & Lisa, but luckily the Maggie subplot is cute and amusing (silly but fun) and the Homer & Bart plot is the most entertaining part, especially with how it turns into a Bigfoot story when Homer is mistaken for the beast.

Speaking of the Bigfoot plot with the crazy escalation after Homer is caught on film (covered in mud and speaking strangely due to bee stings in the mouth) and TV crews, merchandising salespeople and whatnot arrives, it is really over the top but a fun tale (I really like how Marge, once her and the kids comes across the whole debacle, speaking out about how the monster is actually her husband and is misinterpreted, leading to ridiculous headlines) and gives an funny end to the story with the capture of the "monster", him taken to a lab and later let go (since they couldn't really decide what he was), wrapping it up with Marge complimenting Homer in bed.

It is not one of the best of the season but still far from one of the worst, due to the nice premise, well paced storytelling with the whole family getting something to do (except for maybe Lisa), nice guest peformance by Brooks & most of all some nice humor and escalating ending with the Bigfoot debacle (having it end much more over the top than it started). Plus I liked the forest setting.

4/5, mainly for the humor and it being an wilderness misadventure, but also for some other enjoyable bits. Simple but fun.

Thread Information