39 23.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R&R Call of the Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Underrated. 4/5

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You knew they had to go into the forest one day or another.
    And while doing that, why not adding a Bigfoot-reference?
    Or what the heck, why not making the people confuse Homer with Bigfoot?
    And can we have that Dr. Marvin Monroe also in this episode?
    He was so great in "there's no disgrace like home".
    this character has a bright future ahead, you can bet on that!

Also Maggie + bear + pacifier = cute !

Great episode !

Blog Entries

One of my top favorite episodes, just watched this one earlier this morning as I was going to bed actually. I love how accurately the RV dealer is made out to be, funny as hell. May have felt a bit rushed, but everything worked well and whatnot. Great episode, either this or No Disgrace Like Home is my favorite episode from season one.

4.5/5

For me, its one of the better season one episodes.
    I loved Maggie with the Bears LOL.
    As much as wackey plot it is, still fun.
    I liked the Homer/Bart bonding.
    Over all a 5/5 from me.

Bart V.S Bob!
    Bart fan!

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Call of the Simpsons

This episode was well paced in the first and second acts but then the third act just seem to happen. It didn’t really have anything to do with the plot. It was amusing but it didn’t explain what happened very well. The ending just happened as well (Probably the worst season 1 ending) Apart from the third act and ending this episode was pretty funny. The jokes were OK but the physical humour was very good. While not the best season 1 still captured the humour of the show.

Score for Call of the Simpsons: B-, 3.5/5, 7/10, Good

Banned

there were a couple of inspired parts with some decent cultural commentary (bob's rv's, 'experienced woodsman', bigfoot) that i found pretty enjoyable, and this is the sort of material i expect from a simpsons episode. homer as bigfoot is probably one of my favourite parts of season 1. problem with the bob scene is that it stretches on far too long for what material there is. the contrast between marge and the 'experienced woodsman', and the bigfoot stuff is enjoyable though.

the main problem with the episode is that it's muddied with cliched crap that ought to be shitted on. maggie making friends with bears is a huge issue of the same variety as jockey elves, although not nearly as problematic. a lot of the gags outside the scenes i outlined above are just as simplistic. i can imagine seeing them on a cartoon called "alligator family", or "bears on the run" or something like that. that's not what i expect from a simpsons episode and unfortunately, too much of the episode is focused on this sort of stuff.

the bad outweighs the good, and the good in this case is pretty underwhelming for a simpsons episode. so many more episodes do it so much better: D+

edit: also, the animation - while better than most of season 1 - is still primitive and distracting.

Banned

4/5

Blog Entries

Good episode of the first season, the story of Maggie is the best.
    Also the relation Homer/Bart is excellent. 4/5

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

eh. it's alright. kinda cartoony but some good Simpsonsish moments here and there. C+

Banned

5/5

No complaints about this episode. It was good, and certainly funnier than the previous one (Moaning Lisa). It's just that, while each of the previous episodes felt like classics in their own way, telling us new things about the characters and their lives, this one was just a regular story with those characters, like there will be many in the following years (well, there was the introduction of Homer's rivalry with Ned Flanders). Of course, it had to happen: not all episodes can be classics, and not every episode can have something exciting memorable to tell about the characters. For what it was, the story was fine, and rather funny in a cartoony way. Good moments included the smooth-talking car salesman, Homer's utter incompetence in the forest and the whole bigfoot confusion (including the newspapers headlines and the committee of experts). Touching ending, with Marge comforting Homer.

Grade: B

Banned
    Blog Entries

F

Professional Burger Stealer Krusty Burglar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty good. Better than quite a few episodes in 1.

4/5

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

High 2/5. Pretty boring, if you ask me. Did like the Bigfoot stuff at the end.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I sort of like this episode up until Homer is mistaken for bigfoot. That is just too nonsensical for me to find enjoyable, and it gets worse the farther it goes along (scientists can't figure out that Homer is a human? WTF. And why doesn't he just speak? Surely the honey is gone from his mouth by the time he is in the cage). I also don't like the beginning, especially the part with the salesman. And I know the Simpsons is a cartoon, but this episode just seems too cartoony. 4/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

Pretty out there for season 1 indeed, and probably the worst of the season too. But that does not mean its bad, infact i rather enjoy it. (The only episode i truly dislike from the first eight seasons is Another Simpsons Clip Show) Homer being mistaken for Bigfoot, The Bigfoot headlines, Homer yelling, and yelling coming out of nowhere in the forest are all laugh-out loud worthy. Albert Brooks while not as good as in You Only Move Twice, or Life On The Fast Lane still has a pretty good cameo here. It does feel like Saturday Morning Cartoon with the bear scenes and all. But its still a pretty decent episode, even though it might be my least favorite of season 1. Grade:C+
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 07-14-2013 at 06:06 AM.

One of the better ones from Season 1.

4/5

Junior Camper

A good episode but not great still enjoyed it. 3/5

Blog Entries

4/5

Great. Funny Gags.

Banned
    Blog Entries

My least favorite episode of the season.

Seems like it crossed the line between Funny and Whacky.

And it's about this long -------

2/5

6/5: not the best episode but it had its moments. Funniest scene was when a helpless homers says "I've murdered us all" and it echoes through the woods for everyone to hear. Homer mistakened for a Bigfoot was also funny

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not the best plot, but it's really funny at times and I especially enjoy Homer's characterization in this episode. The Bigfoot-part is also fucking gold, contains the best jokes of the episode.
    While not perfect, it's very overlooked and enjoyable. 8/10
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

The Bigfoot plot was a bit corny but the exoticism of the location made this one fun for me and I think I'd probably watch it again. 4/5
    Curator of SIMPSONSRELEASES.COM, keeping track of all Simpsons DVD & Bu-Ray releases.

An early classic for me. I have always like it.

5/5

4/5 It can get very silly, but it's enjoyable. Not my favorite from Season 1 by a longshot though.

Cartoon-ish & cliched but still made me laugh in many places. I feel like the RV salesman scene could've been funnier, but it was still good. 4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

Junior Camper

I have mixed feelings about this episode. I know a lot of people like it, and on paper it sounds like a classic. "The one where the family gets lost in the wilderness and Homer is mistaken for Bigfoot." But rewatching it, I gotta be honest, I was fairly bored. The plot dragged on, the setup was a little too cartoony (Maggie and the bears???) and the jokes were few and far between. I didn't outright dislike it like 'Homer's Odyssey', but I'm never going to be in a rush to see this one again.

The ending, while quite farcical, did employ some rather neat satire remenicent of classic seasons, which I didn't expect to find in season 1, which is mostly just: "Cartoon about a wacky yellow family!"

Overall: 5.5/10

The First adventure of the Simpsons like a family.

Call of the Simpsons is one of the 59 episodes written by the genius John Swartzwelder. He is, without a doubt, the most amazing writer that the show has ever presented, by quantity and quality. The vast majority of his contributions stand out for an engaging story, a hilarious humor and good social criticism. But, in the episode that brings us together in this situation, only the third characteristic is reflected. Which means that there is weakness in history and humor.

This legend is usually synonymous with genius, but this was not the case

So, the first 'necessary' element in an episode of Swartzwelder is a good story. Here, we have something totally innovative to what we had seen until then. The family lives their first adventure outside of Springfield (or, perhaps, in a forest located in the city). You could say that we have the first trip of The Simpsons. Yes, the premise sounds good, but its execution was decidedly bad. One of the problems in this aspect is the minimal connection between the first and the second act, and between the second and the third. It all starts with Homer eager to buy a motor home. Then, for some reason, they take a trip to the forest and the house is destroyed. In the forest, we have three different stories (one from Homer / Bart, one from Marge / Lisa and another from Maggie and the bears). But all of them are solved quickly so that, in the end, Homer is confused with BigFoot. How difficult it would be to answer what the episode is about.

This does not seem like the best ending to a plot that covers a third of the episode.

The second aspect is humor. It is evident that the attempt of amusement is more important here than in the six previous episodes. Almost there is no other intention than to make the spectator laugh. There is only one scene that comes out of that focus, and that is when Homer believes that his son has died. Outside of it, everything is an attempt at fun. And I use the word 'intent' because it is not effective. Most of the jokes are childish. Jokes that appeal to the physical and the unreal. The fall of the mobile home over the cliff, the fall of Homer and Bart through the waterfall, Homer being attacked by the animals, or Maggie giving a dummy to the bears. When you're watching a show like this, with a predisposition to find smart and fabricated jokes, do not expect to receive so many of this style, so empty and superficial worthy of a typical cartoon made for children, and far from being what the show usually propose.

This type of jokes are those that predominate in the episode.

However, the third aspect -social criticism- is present. In the first act, we have the fascinating appearance of Cowboy Bob. And it is a reflection of the ability/liveliness of certain sellers towards their clients, to sell them whatever, whenever and at whatever price. Homer, of course, falls in all the strategies that Bob does and ends up staying with that old mobile home, with an even greater enthusiasm than he had when he began his search and even though the business was not the best. With the third act, and the story of BigFoot, we have the second major criticism, dedicated to the actions of the media before any event or situation that can sell, inventing a story, distorting reality and taking Marge's statements out of context. The incompetence of the psychologists who analyze Homer, who come to believe that he is truly a beast, can also be considered critical.

"this specimen is either a below-average human being or... a brilliant beast".

The theme of the characterizations also shows a certain superficiality. Because it is difficult to identify with the protagonists, because they act like typical cartoon characters. Without personality, without features that characterize them. They do everything by impulse and without measuring the consequences. Marge and Homer are totally negligent with their youngest daughter, especially the mother, who is the one who sees the situation. Bart never contradicts his father, although he sees that none of his decisions is correct. Lisa remains totally invulnerable to any situation. None of them reacts as they should to any of the situations that arise, not even that Maggie has been living with four bears. And do not get me wrong, I love that Maggie has a leading role - she is my favorite character - although this time her story, like the others, has its flaws.

I love Maggie, but this is too much ...

Call of the Simpsons is one of the worst of the first season. His ambition to experiment did not lead to good ports because of his failures in history, in humor and in characterizations. Everything is too caricatured, and that realism that has always identified the show is missing.

2/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 11-10-2018 at 05:36 AM.

3.5/5 - There's a lot of cartoony elements as others have said, but this also has some of the best gags of any Simpson episode. The trap flinging the rabbit makes me laugh every time (especially the distant *thud* at the end), as well as Homer being swarmed by forest critters. Certainly wacky, but no where near the most outlandish plot The Simpsons has ever had.

Another classic episode. In my top 3 for this season so many funny jokes. The rv buying scene was prob the funniest banter i ever heard "is that a good siren? am i approved?' "you ever known a siren to be good" 5/5

Thread Information