• 5/5

49 23.90%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: R&R [7G01] Some Enchanted Evening

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Very boring episode. 1/5

2/5
    This one never really clicked with me, I don't know what it is. Not the animation or anything of that nature, and i realize THIS was originally supposed to be the pilot episode, but it comes off as plain to me, even if you would want to use the word boring. Not really good placement as a season finale either.

Pretty bad animation, but you gotta realize it was the first episode produced. I think it was a pretty good episode, but I hate the ending to this day. 4/5.

Always late to the party Whyyoubig's Avatar

It’s a classic. It was also one of the first episodes and originally the first. But it doesn’t hold up well for me, although it had it’s moments. However, most of the first season doesn’t age well anyway due to the animation and voices. I rate this one 6/10.

Pin Pal

So I've recently been rewatching the series from the beginning for the first time in over a decade, and seeing many episodes I'd long forgotten for the most part in a completely different way now that I'm older, and wiser, and more cynical I guess. Still love it.

While I do have a soft spot for this episode, it (and season 1 as a whole) doesn't really hold up well 30 years later, and especially compared to seasons which would follow. That being said, it's forgivable, as many great shows have teething problems, and this was very entertaining and innovative for its time. As the first episode produced, it's a much stronger introduction to the characters than Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire, and it has better animation than several other season 1 episodes, even if the designs of the house and characters are jarringly different from what we're used to.

Watching season 1 is weird. It's so different from the rest of the show. I don't want to say it's a chore to get through, but rewatching the whole show, I'm just desperate to get to really good stuff, and this was just mildly interesting, and like most of season 1, light on jokes. 6.5/10

It was a stroke of luck that Some Enchanted Evening did not have the chance to be the first of the series, as the production order established. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire has everything that the opening should have, unlike this one, which focused almost entirely on the Simpsons and not on their surroundings, and which possessed certain features similar to the predecessor shorts.

Just a little bit of Monroe, Moe, and Barney. Behind them, Simpsons in the pure state.

And I'm not saying that this was bad, but it was not the ideal to take the first step. For example, because much of the action focuses on a character from a single appearance. Although that was not a problem because, for me, Mrs. Botz is amazing. Although he did not have the intelligence to beat the Simpson children, he is one of the luxury antagonists that the show has had and a little known character. His only image generates chills. Her curving, her hair, her face, and her voice make her a somewhat terrifying character. Even when I saw it for the first time, at the Baby-Sitting Service, it gave me an ugly feeling. Perhaps, the rustic animation that characterizes this episode played a good pass, and q that gives a special effect to the character. The parody of The Night of the Hunter, when the nanny looks for Bart in the basement, fits perfectly into her. It also generates tension when he pulls Lisa under the table. Penny Marshall did a great job.

How do you want me not to be afraid of this image? Hahaha, what a great character you are, Lucille.

Mrs. Botz gets something that we have not had until now. To the three Simpsons children working together. In them I see the most solid point of the episode. It's funny how many facets Bart and Lisa show in these twenty minutes. We see them totally dependent on their mother when she neglects them. We see his teasing side with a new joke to Moe. We see their differences when he finds the little elves unbearable and she likes them. We see the child's intolerance with that program and the girl's intelligence in convincing Maggie to untie them. And we see the adventurous and courageous side of both when defeating the nanny and calling the media. The pleasant ending, on the other hand, would not have been possible without the baby. I love how it is on this occasion, taking center stage and being vital for the cause but without leaving aside his baby face, beyond the scene in which he leaves the cradle.

Great outcome, although I do not understand why it is Bart who played the pacifier.

The subplot takes the easy way. Even in the first episode produced they already had the fixed idea of ​​the marital problems between Homer and Marge. However, the result of this adventure is decidedly positive, unlike the other two attempts of the season. Homer taking matters into his own hands before Marge shows her anger is a fantastic detail that shows that the man of the couple is more attentive and romantic than we thought. And, although we do not have a particularly great scene on this special night, the truth is that they all have an adorable essence that allows me to enjoy it. Of course, I really do not like Marge's attitude before Homer presents herself to her with a rose and a box of chocolates. It bothers me all about her in the first act. That she can not talk to her husband, that she leaves him unwell in front of the whole city that hears Marvin Monroe and that he gets angry with the children, at which time she makes a terrible roar of listening.

The dance of Homer and Marge is magical.

The biggest problem that exists here, beyond the characterization of Marge in the first act, is something usual in the first season that was enhanced in this. I mean the animation, which is logical because, as I said, this was the first episode produced. Although it is true, also, that the rusticity of this resulted in an improvement of the character due to nanny, it also makes the product somewhat more difficult to see. Undefined faces, lack of details, impossible movements, and specific errors are the problems with which this one is loaded. Although I'm just highlighting it. I understand that I value the effort very much and understand the difficulty of the first time. And I also know about the change that occurred with respect to the first sketch. I still get nightmares about the scene in which we see Lisa's underwear. I do not understand what the animators were thinking.

Geez, I thought Bart had just dislocated his arm in season 8.
    If you haven't watched that Lisa's image: https://i.imgur.com/BoGNZJw.jpg

Some Enchanted Evening is a successful episode, which was benefited by not being the one in charge of breaking the ice and that gets, with good characterizations, a good story and a great character of special appearance, the level necessary to close the historic first season how it should be done.

4/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 05-21-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Good and nice episode.
    However, the plot could be better and, I think, there should be more funny jokes. Nevertheless, the episode is quite solid.

TOTAL 82.2/100. GOOD!
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 03/08/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 10 > 12 > 15 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

This episode doesn't make any sense. If Mrs. Botz is a widely knows thief and photos of her face exist, how was she not arrested from the beginning of the episode? From what we see in the babysitting center, she doesn't have a disguise on. Despite that, I like this episode, but I don't have any complex reasons as to why. I just find the situation to play out in an interesting and fun way. I think there are an okay amount of jokes that work too. I can understand why someone would dislike this episode and I certainly don't think this episode is that good, but I still like it. 6/10

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

Reminds me of childhood.
    Origi corner taken quickly.

Being my fanatic self Simpson's Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs Up Some Enchanted Evening

I am going to start this post by saying that "Some Enchanted Evening" is one of the best episodes of season 1, along with "Moaning Lisa" and "Life On The Fast Lane". The set up, although not perfect, is really a very nice and accurate story.

So, I want to express my belief that "Some Enchanted Evening" is really underrated and should get more praise for, if anything, the relatable story with the relatable characters. The story starts with a underappreciated wife, Marge Simpson feeling neglected by her husband and children, a story that applies greatly in a sitcom series like "The Simpsons" and while Marge may seem as some kind of a nag, we have to remember that the Simpson family is a fictional dysfunctional family and all of them have props and cons. I also would be frustrated if my husband took off my hands the coffee I was drinking without even asking. I always viewed Marge as the doting wife that has to put with the shenanigans of her husband and is forced to put happy face on and assure herself that maybe it won't happen again, but sometimes she can't take it and has to ask for advise. This is basically why she called Doctor Marvin Monroe in the first place. The crack in Julie Kavner's voice is just amazing, because it feels so real and it is so well-made! I am amazed by Doctor Monroe's advise, because to be fair, he is right in almost everything he said and it hit me when he said: "Your husband sees you as nothing!". I really miss his character, but he is also very mysterious! He was a supporting character in the first few seasons from 1-3, but later on we discovered that he was dead and after almost 10 years they brought him back in "Diatribe Of A Mad Housewife" with the excuse that he was very sick and finally in "Flanders' Ladder", even though it is non-canon, he is seen with the dead. It is really confusing to be honest, but my opinion is that he is actually dead, given that Maude Flanders is officially dead, as many of the other characters we saw and that "Diatribe Of A Mad Housewife" is the continuity exception.

Anyway, I really want to talk about Marge and Homer, because I always loved their dynamic in this particular episode. I always admire the laughter Marge brings in episodes revolving around her and Homer, as she was the perfect foil for him. However, I still genuinely feel bad for her, as Homer is putting her through unpleasant situations from the beginning the series started. I appreciate Homer trying to be a better husband after hearing the on the radio the conversation between Marge and Dr Monroe, buying her flowers, booking a romantic dinner and room for them, but he always has to be reminded that his marriage is in danger in the last minute. He eventually makes up with Marge every single time and by the next episode, he is still the same jerk, neglectful, alcoholic father and husband to his family, which is something the writers should consider changing from time to time. I don't want to be rude and strict, but he is always a reminder that Marge has to pack her things and leave and it is sometimes so unpleasant to watch. So, I totally give Marge every right to be angry. I laughed so hard, when she roared like a lion! This has to be one of the few moments we have seen her so angry! To conclude, I want to say that, while I understand Marge's character and sometimes even relate to her more that I do with Homer, I have to say that this episode was not really showing Homer as neglectful towards her, but rather clueless. The show is about a stereotypical family and so are Marge and Homer. They were meant to be the buffoonish husband and the repressed and understanding wife that comes as nagging and needy, which is clearly not true, since we all know and saw that Marge can easily take her of herself and protect and provide for the children.

Then, Homer and Marge's plot line, becomes a B-plot with Bart, Lisa and Maggie taking the lead plot for the rest of the episode. I honestly don't really care about Miss Botz as a character and the story is not really that interesting, until Bart and Lisa discover she is a wanted criminal. The one thing that makes the plot great is Bart and Lisa, who are exceptionally smart for their age and pretty much badass in most episodes revolving around them. I don't want to imagine what would have happened if Bart and Lisa hadn't seen the programme on TV. It is also hard to believe they were able to outsmart a criminal so quickly! I always laugh when Lisa calls to report Miss Botz and is slowly discovered by her! I love the fact that Marge was a little suspicious about all this and they decided to go home and find out, but Homer giving her money is something that gets me every time. Of course, it is understandable, since Homer and Marge did not know about the criminal babysitter.

The episode end in a romantic and sweet fashion, with Homer feeling bad for not being a bright person and Marge consoling him and explaining that if they raise three children who can defeat a criminal, then something they do is right!

ACT 1

So, the episode opens in a rather pretty normal fashion, with the family eating breakfast and the children, Bart and Lisa, fighting over who is going to eat the last donut, only for Homer to eat it. Later, the children leave for school and Homer for work, leaving Marge and baby Maggie all alone. I love Marge's messy hair and the fact that she was listening and seeing the whole argument out of boredom. Fortunately for her, on the radio there is a commercial about Dr. Monroe's on-air-therapy. At first, she hesitates to call, but decides to it anyway. On the air, Marge starts explaining that she is tired of Homer ignoring her and not appreciating her, as he used to, with Dr. Monroe giving a rather cruel answer to her that if he doesn't start to love her, she has to leave him. Meanwhile, Homer is at work and his co-workers turn up the radio to hear his wife telling publicly that their marriage is unhappy, making Homer feel embarrassed by her and decides to go to Moe's tavern to ask for advice. The only thing he tells him is that he is not someone that Marge actually deserves, but that doesn't mean he can't give it a chance. So, he goes and arranges for a romantic night for him and Marge, a very sweet move.

Careful......jpg

Back to the Simpson house, Marge is waiting for Homer to return impatiently and apparently doesn't want to be disturbed,.....the roaring says everything. Homer eventually returns from work, apologises with a simple "I love you" and Marge forgives him immediately. He tells her about his surprise romantic dinner, Marge gets excited, but quickly takes it back, because they haven't arrange for a babysitter yet. Marge calls for a babysitter, but the secretary is terrified when she realises that they are the Simpsons kids and refuses to suggest a babysitter for them. Then, Homer calls back and introduces himself as Mr Samson and arranges for the kids a babysitter. This is the end of act 1.

She gets me! .jpg

ACT 2

The second act basically hands the plot to Bart, Lisa and Maggie, with Marge and Homer getting ready for the night and leaving the kids with Mrs Botz, the babysitter. In an attempts to get rid of them, she insists that Bart and Lisa watch the "Happy Little Elves" and putting Maggie to bed, despite Bart's whining. In the end, Bart and Lisa do what she says, but Bart quickly gets bored and turns the TV on to watch "America's most wanted", despite Lisa suggesting that they will have nightmares. While watching they discover that Mrs Botz is actually a wanted criminal, rather than a normal babysitter and decide to call the police, but as soon as they try to get up, Mrs Botz appears and they try to hide from her. I actually laughed at the part where Lisa was hiding under he table, trying to call the police and not realising that mrs Botz was right behind her. Bart was a little more difficult for her, but she eventually caught him too and tied them up.

I am out of here...I am done with this review! It is just so disgusting!.jpg

Meanwhile, Homer and Marge have a fun time in their romantic night, despite both of them being terrible dancers and acting like they haven't dance in their lives. They also provide us with a very "interesting" scene of Marge in her pyjamas, which I think we all know what means. I remember laughing so hard at that part, because Marge looked like she was going to sleep while standing up! Oh the animation of season 1! What a fun season to watch!

This is the end of act 2.

ACT 3

The kids can be smart too.jpg

Act 3 tries to quickly wrap up the story, because they are running out of time. So, Mrs Botz reveals herself by tying the kids up, cutting off the telephone and torturing the kids, particularly Bart by making them watch the film "The Happy Little Elves" again. Fortunately, Maggie woke up from her nap and caught Mrs Botz stealing from her parents' room. She went downstairs to find Bart and Lisa tied up and helped to untie them. Their adventure ends with Bart knocking out Mrs Botz and the kids calling the police, only for Homer and Marge to return, find Mrs Botz tied up and give her a triple amount of money, without realising she has stolen from them.

The ending was a very sweet scene, with Homer feeling guilty about not realising mrs Botz was a thief and Marge consoling him with a few sweet words.

Overall, "Some Enchanted Evening" is a bittersweet and fun episode to watch with a very relatable and down to earth storyline. I give it a 5/5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Simpson's Fan; 04-20-2020 at 03:56 AM.

Not the best way to end the first season of the legendary series, but still has classic charm of good ol' Simpsons. 4/5

(I mean to anyone that gives this 2/5, watch it after watching some of the modern episodes and see if it's not charming)

Who can explain it who can tell you why....

sorry I couldn't help it, since this title was taken from a Rogers and Hammerstein song

and here we have our very first Celebrity guest star that's right JUNE FORAY!...yeah I know it's actually Penny Marshall but June Foray was a legendary voice actress(she worked for multiple studios, the warners, Disney, and now the Simpsons work for the mouse!) the fact that the Simpsons got her for this is actually amazing. And from what I understand this was actually the first episode that was made, and in a rare instance we get TWO crank calls
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

The last episode of the first season (technically the first produced but aired last as well all know due to less than expressive animation that had to be mostly redone) does feel like an very lesser one on paper, with a very simple and straightforward plot (that about Marge feeling that Homer takes her for granted and doesn't really care about her anymore and Homer finding out, getting inspiration & taking her out for an all-nighter on town with fancy dinner and an motel stay while they have Bart, Lisa & Maggie babysat by a new babysitter who's of the more shady kind), but in the end came together very nicely as a good, enjoyable episode of the much more down-to-earth kind.

Opening stuff about Marge being left alone at home as Homer hurries to work and the kids to school (while Maggie falls alseep; cute) and feeling sad about how the family takes her for granted and have stopped to really care about her, calling Dr. Marvin Monroe's hotline to talk about her troubles on the radio & Homer hears and feels bad about it (even more so when his co-workers laugh at him for having "trouble in paradise"). Him getting actual good advice from Moe (who also has a good speech) does stand out as a good scene (and kinda weird, considering Moe is later on bad at relationships) and Homer calming the increasingly angry Marge down when coming home with a flower and chocolate & telling her they are going out for the night was a nice bit, that luckily avoided an unnecessary marriage crisis (though not sure about Marge snapping at the kids with a roar, as it felt a little too cruel; I dislike it when she drags the kids into her and Homer's problems).

Them getting a babysitter via the Rubber Buggy Baby Bumper Babysitting Service (now that's a mouthful) was a funny little scene, with Marge at first trying normally but failing as the Simpson kids are apparently infamous for being troublesome & Homer calling under the name 'Sampson' and having to hold his temper about having his and his family insulted (also, nice little role for June Foray as the old woman who answers the callers). The one that get sent over, a Mrs. Botz who is a creepy and snake-like figure, was quite a memorable character and eventually a neat villain (as it turns out she is the infamous Babysitter Bandit, who uses the position to rob households), greatly voice acted by guest star Penny Marshall who created maybe one of the most threatening characters on the show and her interactions with the kids I definitely liked (too bad that they never, ever brought the character back, only limiting her to a voiceless background cameo).

The combination with Homer & Marge's romantic night and Bart & Lisa finding out that Botz is the Babysitter Bandit (when Bart switches off the Happy Little Elves video to watch a real crime show) and trying to escape and call the authorities was well done, with some nice gags & some nice jarring cuts from the couple's happy night to the kids' night of horror, which ends with Maggie saving the day by freeing her siblings and aiding them in knocking the villain out (after which they tie her up infront of the TV). The ending was fun, with Homer & Marge coming home and not getting it, untying Botz, apologizing and aiding her getaway with the loot (also paying her) & then to face the truth he actually let a known criminal get away); him trying to save face to the reporters with their cameras with lies and the "local boob" title is memorable. The final scene of Marge comforting Homer and making him feel better by compliments him raising kids who can tie up a stranger.

As a whole, the episode certainly is an good one with a simple story, some nice humor and excitement (it is essentially the closest the show gets to an long Tracy Ullman short). The animation is a mixed bag and there's some real wonky bits here, but as a whole it is not as bad as it is sometimes made out and there's some great dark atmosphere with the kids hiding from Botz (I especially like the basement scene) & some other nicely animated moments throughout (the animation for Botz in general is quite good and expressive; one of my favorite animation moments is her threatening Bart into watching the Happy Little Elves). There are some question marks (if Botz is so infamous and they know her identity and have her photo how could she so easily still practice as a babysitter without getting caught? Also she complains about the Simpsons' having only worthless garbage yet she steals it anyway?) but just minor nitpicking.

I can pretty safely give this an 4/5. At first I remembered it as more of an 3/5 (which I had expected), but rewatched it and does things well with an otherwise simplistic plot that is not unlike something a kids' show would do (the babysitter turning out to be a crook while the parents are away). Not the best season finale but an nice, entertaining episode overall with that first season charm.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information