• 5/5

49 24.38%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: R&R [7G01] Some Enchanted Evening

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Very boring episode. 1/5

2/5
    This one never really clicked with me, I don't know what it is. Not the animation or anything of that nature, and i realize THIS was originally supposed to be the pilot episode, but it comes off as plain to me, even if you would want to use the word boring. Not really good placement as a season finale either.

Pretty bad animation, but you gotta realize it was the first episode produced. I think it was a pretty good episode, but I hate the ending to this day. 4/5.

Always late to the party Whyyoubig's Avatar

It’s a classic. It was also one of the first episodes and originally the first. But it doesn’t hold up well for me, although it had it’s moments. However, most of the first season doesn’t age well anyway due to the animation and voices. I rate this one 6/10.

Junior Camper

So I've recently been rewatching the series from the beginning for the first time in over a decade, and seeing many episodes I'd long forgotten for the most part in a completely different way now that I'm older, and wiser, and more cynical I guess. Still love it.

While I do have a soft spot for this episode, it (and season 1 as a whole) doesn't really hold up well 30 years later, and especially compared to seasons which would follow. That being said, it's forgivable, as many great shows have teething problems, and this was very entertaining and innovative for its time. As the first episode produced, it's a much stronger introduction to the characters than Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire, and it has better animation than several other season 1 episodes, even if the designs of the house and characters are jarringly different from what we're used to.

Watching season 1 is weird. It's so different from the rest of the show. I don't want to say it's a chore to get through, but rewatching the whole show, I'm just desperate to get to really good stuff, and this was just mildly interesting, and like most of season 1, light on jokes. 6.5/10

It was a stroke of luck that Some Enchanted Evening did not have the chance to be the first of the series, as the production order established. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire has everything that the opening should have, unlike this one, which focused almost entirely on the Simpsons and not on their surroundings, and which possessed certain features similar to the predecessor shorts.

Just a little bit of Monroe, Moe and Barney. Behind them, Simpsons in pure state.

And I'm not saying that this was bad, but it was not the ideal to take the first step. For example, because much of the action focuses on a character from a single appearance. Although that was not a problem because, for me, Mrs. Botz is amazing. Although he did not have the intelligence to beat the Simpson children, he is one of the luxury antagonists that the show has had and a little known character. His only image generates chills. Her curving, her hair, her face and her voice make her a somewhat terrifying character. Even when I saw it for the first time, at the Baby-Sitting Service, it gave me an ugly feeling. Perhaps, the rustic animation that characterizes this episode played a good pass, and q that gives a special effect to the character. The parody of The Night of the Hunter, when the nanny looks for Bart in the basement, fits perfectly into her. It also generates tension when he pulls Lisa under the table. Penny Marshall did a great job.

How do you want me not to be afraid of this image? Hahaha, what a great character you are, Lucille.

Mrs. Botz gets something that we have not had until now. To the three Simpsons children working together. In them I see the most solid point of the episode. It's funny how many facets Bart and Lisa show in these twenty minutes. We see them totally dependent on their mother when she neglects them. We see his teasing side with a new joke to Moe. We see their differences when he finds the little elves unbearable and she likes them. We see the child's intolerance with that program and the girl's intelligence in convincing Maggie to untie them. And we see the adventurous and courageous side of both when defeating the nanny and calling the media. The pleasant ending, on the other hand, would not have been possible without the baby. I love how it is on this occasion, taking center stage and being vital for the cause but without leaving aside his baby face, beyond the scene in which he leaves the cradle.

Great outcome, although I do not understand why it is Bart who played the pacifier.

The subplot takes the easy way. Even in the first episode produced they already had the fixed idea of ​​the marital problems between Homer and Marge. However, the result of this adventure is decidedly positive, unlike the other two attempts of the season. Homer taking matters into his own hands before Marge shows her anger is a fantastic detail that shows that the man of the couple is more attentive and romantic than we thought. And, although we do not have a particularly great scene on this special night, the truth is that they all have an adorable essence that allows me to enjoy it. Of course, I really do not like Marge's attitude before Homer presents herself to her with a rose and a box of chocolates. It bothers me all about her in the first act. That she can not talk to her husband, that she leaves him unwell in front of the whole city that hears Marvin Monroe and that he gets angry with the children, at which time she makes a terrible roar of listening.

The dance of Homer and Marge is magical.

The biggest problem that exists here, beyond the characterization of Marge in the first act, is something usual in the first season that was enhanced in this. I mean the animation, which is logical because, as I said, this was the first episode produced. Although it is true, also, that the rusticity of this resulted in an improvement of the character due to nanny, also makes the product somewhat more difficult to see. Undefined faces, lack of details, impossible movements and specific errors are the problems with which this one is loaded. Although I'm just highlighting it. Understand that I value the effort very much and understand the difficulty of the first time. And I also know about the change that occurred with respect to the first sketch. I still get nightmares about the scene in which we see Lisa's underwear. I do not understand what the animators were thinking.

Geez, I thought Bart had just dislocated his arm in season 8.
    If you haven't watched that Lisa's image: https://i.imgur.com/BoGNZJw.jpg

Some Enchanted Evening is a successful episode, which was benefited by not being the one in charge of breaking the ice and that gets, with good characterizations, a good story and a great character of special appearance, the level necessary to close the historic first season how it should be done.

4/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 11-10-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Good and nice episode.
    However, the plot could be better and, I think, there should be more funny jokes. Nevertheless, the episode is quite solid.

TOTAL 82.2/100. GOOD!
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 10/01/20 with trilogy episodes):
    1. There’s No Disgrace Like Home/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer and Apu 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/The Principal and the Pauper 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Bart to the Future 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Brake My Wife, Please 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Future-Drama 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. The Wife Aquatic/Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Three Times 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. Chief of Hearts/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 21 > 27 > 12 > 15 > 20 > 10 > 14 > 19 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 16 > 28 > 30 > 11 > 23 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

This episode doesn't make any sense. If Mrs. Botz is a widely knows thief and photos of her face exist, how was she not arrested from the beginning of the episode? From what we see in the babysitting center, she doesn't have a disguise on. Despite that, I like this episode, but I don't have any complex reasons as to why. I just find the situation to play out in an interesting and fun way. I think there are an okay amount of jokes that work too. I can understand why someone would dislike this episode and I certainly don't think this episode is that good, but I still like it. 6/10

Reminds me of childhood.
    Wow! What an ending! Who would have thought that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father?

Thread Information