Page 8 of 368 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
    Kamatsu Motors Bimbo

Tongue Funny - not funny teacher

In Special Edna (Skinner proposes did I get the title right?) What is the joke with that teacher when the Teacher Of The Year Award judges say Dead Poets Society ruined a generation of educators and I know its a movie could you go into more detail about what the teacher himself said and why the other judges made the comment? :mexican:
    Last edited by Miss Springfield; 11-08-2004 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Stupid Thing I went on with
    Moe: What are you telling us, were trapped like rats?

Russ Cargill: No, rats can't be trapped this easily, you're trapped like... carrots.

Stonecutter

I already feel stupid for asking this question, but in "The Ziff Who Came To Dinner" the prison's sign reads: 'If you commited murder, you'd be home by now'. I'm not sure what it means.

Crotis Jivefunk

It's saying that murderers would be in prison, their home.

comes from circumstances mr. broom's Avatar

It's a play on a fairly well-known sign people sometimes put up that says, "If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Right Now."

That sign has been referenced before on the show, as well.

IF YOU WERE A PASTOR, YOU'D BE HOME BY NOW

Kamatsu Motors Bimbo

I hope someone can read my above post.

Could someone please pay attention to the above post about the teacher. PS I realise this is annoying but its because its not down the bottom near newer posts and this Target ad crap needed editing. :laugh:
    Last edited by Miss Springfield; 11-08-2004 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Target ad gibberish

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Springfield
    Tell me the meaning of that Target ad? I don't get it.
    Can't you see no one will tell you because it's off-topic? http://www.notargets.net is the board you want.

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

I gotta question, why do the simpsons always make fun of the Unitarians? For example the episode when Maude died, Rod was telling Bart when he was Billy Grahm's Bible Blaster that Bart "just winged him, and made him a unitarian" and their was another episodew where Homer said something like if the Unitarians are the one true religion, then I'll eat my hat!" I guess what I'm really trying to ask is what are Unitarians? and why are they worth making fun of?

Stonecutter

I think laika(news) posted something in his original 8-page opening post for a thread, but he eventually edited it out. It's probably a religion of one of the writers (if you listen to commentary on "Whacking Day", Al Jean says, "...we can make fun of the Irish, because most of us are Irish) This really doesn't help, but in the episode with Maryl Streep as Jessica Lovejoy, Grandpa is in the pew, and references Unitarians in the same way (I can't remember the line right now)

Grampa turned around in his seat and said "What is it - a Unitarian?"

It's not that their "worth making fun of" - its that their used to show the absurdity of religious bigotry, especially that which goes on within sects of Christianity.

Unitarianism as a system of Christian thought and religious observance that has as its basis the belief in the single-unity of the "Christian Godhead", i.e. in the idea that the Godhead exists in the person of "the Father/God" alone, rather than the Trinity of Father, Son & Holy Ghost. Unitarians trace their historical roots back to the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century, which saw so many other Christian denominations split off from Catholicism. Its been around in Europe since then, though far less prevalent than other denominations, and there have been Unitarian churches and believers in America as long as the U.S. has been established. (Members number in the millions today in the US).

It's not that their religious beliefs are "wacky" or that far off other Christian beliefs - it's a good illustration of how more populous, "mainstream" branches of Christianity 'look down' on other brances, as well as other religions. (Think of Rev. Lovejoy's wonderful phrase from "Homer the Heretic": "... whether Christian, Jew, or miscellaneous." ("Laika" is a spammer whose screeds are far too bigoted to understand the humor in this)

[Jean was joking when he said "most of us are Irish".]

BTW, the "If you lived here, you would be home by now" signs originated in the US post-WWII era, during the widespread build-ups of suburban planned communities, as a cute advertisment for these communities. You can still mostly see them on highways today, still used as advertisements for newly-built small towns and suburbs (or as cute, folksy advertisements for older ones.)

Kamatsu Motors Bimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool
    Can't you see no one will tell you because it's off-topic? http://www.notargets.net is the board you want.
    Suuuree it is! I'm on to you....

The Third Man Snake_aka_Jailbird's Avatar

I wonder what the satirical thing Dr Hibbert mentions is in The Springfield Connection...

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

While playing the score from Star Wars, the orchestra slips in a little bit of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

Quote Originally Posted by Larson Something
    While playing the score from Star Wars, the orchestra slips in a little bit of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."
    I know that, but what's so satirical about it?

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Uh...I don't know. Perhaps Hibbert considers throwing in a children's song about stars in the middle of the Star Wars music some kind of statement about the childishness of science fiction. Or maybe he's using the Ralph Wiggum "It says 'bee,' and there's a picture of a bee on it!" definition of "satire."

Pin Pal

Does anyone know what side Bart's scar was on in the THOH with Hugo in it??

Kamatsu Motors Bimbo

right, What is with the music and the parody when Bart and Lisa turn different in Catch em if you can? There is some kind of thing when they are going around the world after Homer and Marge.

Now 40% Quainter! BroadStreetBully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the simpsons brainiac
    Does anyone know what side Bart's scar was on in the THOH with Hugo in it??
    I don't know if Miss Springfield's "right" was meant to answer your question, but that is the answer. Bart was revealed to be the sinister/evil/left twin, so his scar would be on the right.
    BroadStreetBully
    That's my name. Well, not really.

Miss S: That was the title music from the film "Catch Me If You Can", and the abstract animation style was the same as the animated opening credits of that film.

BTW, thank you for finally asking a question on the topic of "The Simpsons" in the "Simpsons Q&A".

I just wanted to say that on the swedish 4th season DVD there's also a norweigan and danish warnig text and, this has got nothing to do with the Simpsons, but it says that you're not allowed to play the DVD in prisons or on oil platforms... I think this might include the english DVD...

Pin Pal

Does anyone know what episode my avatar is from?

I think it's She of little faith...yeah, that's right...

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

There's a line from Large Marge's song that confuses me. It's Snake's line in "You're A Bunch of Stuff" that goes somewhere along the lines of "You're like brand new muscle car and all the wheels are mag(?)" The last word was particularly confusing.

Stonecutter

Not being a car loving guy, but I'm pretty sure mag wheels are, um, good wheels. I'm not sure how they differ from regular wheels, but they are one of the things that most petrol-heads like to have on their cars. And obviously Snake is a car lover.

Pin Pal

This doesn't have to do with The Simpsons but wat does IMO mean?

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

In my opinion, I think it means "In my opinion."

Bowser Basher!

I asked that IMO question in my first thread! It got closed.

Back on topic, in Day of Jackanapes, Bob says: "Attention! The French club picnic has been cancelled. Quel domage" What does "Quel domage" mean?
    I'm not dansam anymore! Now I'm Thank you, Das Butt for the awesome sig!

comes from circumstances mr. broom's Avatar

Quel dommage means "what a pity!" It's a commonly-taught French phrase, the sort you'd expect American students to use frequently.

Four Beheadings and a funeral

Four Beheadings and a Funeral

At the end of the skit Wiggum & Ralph were smoking opium and Wiggum had said somthing to Ralph but it was cut out in my area... Does anyone know what he said?

Thread Information