Page 10 of 369 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Nothing necessarily "specific", but the animators have said that they're homages to the crazy car-chase films of the '70s, most typically those stunt-coordicated by Hal Needham, who set the gold standard in the industry (in a long, long career that supervised all the American International Pictures' biker flicks, moonshiner flicks, and car-centric-chase flicks, like the original "Gone in 60 Seconds". Needham did all the 70s car-centric Burt Reynolds films, too, like "Gator", the "Cannonball Run" films, and the "Smokey and the Bandit" films (which were the acknowledged direct forerunners of "The Dukes of Hazzard" as well.)

(IIRC, the motorcycle jump echoes Steve McQueen's in "The Great Escape" - though I can't remember whether he jumps a train car in it. And Zemeckis' "Used Cars" had a famous 'chased car jumps train' scene, though I wouldn't swear that this was the main influence.)

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers III

(IIRC, the motorcycle jump echoes Steve McQueen's in "The Great Escape" - though I can't remember whether he jumps a train car in it. And Zemeckis' "Used Cars" had a famous 'chased car jumps train' scene, though I wouldn't swear that this was the main influence.)
    No, no train jump in "The Great Escape." Incidentally, not long before I posted my little question, I had been watching The Great Escape and wondering if part of the motorcycle scene from Treehouse of Horror XIV had been inspired by the film.

Banned

I COULD HAVE BEEN WRONG BUTI THOUGHT I REMEBERD A TRAIN

There was a train in The Great Escape, but Steve McQueen's character Hilts was nowhere near it and certainly didn't attempt to jump it with the motorcycle. The train was used by many of the other escapees including Richard Attenborough and David McCallum's characters to get out of Germany.

Kamatsu Motors Bimbo

What is it with Marge and potatoes (I just think they're neat)
    Moe: What are you telling us, were trapped like rats?

Russ Cargill: No, rats can't be trapped this easily, you're trapped like... carrots.

WTH'S MY GRILLED CHEESE?!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Springfield
    What is it with Marge and potatoes (I just think they're neat)
    I think maybe you're thinking too hard about that one.

Pin Pal

Does anyone know the lyrics to Marge's new and improved Itchy and Scratchy theme song in Itchy and Scratchy Vs. Marge?

They love! They share!
    They share and love and share!
    Love, love, love!
    Share, share, share!
    The Itchy and Scratchy Show!

Quote Originally Posted by George Cauldron
    No, no train jump in "The Great Escape."
    Right. He jumps a fence...and does it once or twice...before a final attempt where he's caught up in barbed wire.

Cows are among one of the most versatile domesticated animals around today. They are also quite peaceful and contented with their simple lives, with few concerns about the world around them. Maybe we should all be more like cows?

Kamatsu Motors Bimbo

Quote Originally Posted by M Prower
    I think maybe you're thinking too hard about that one.
    Someone asked about the car chases and everyone knows they are in lots of movies. Then there was about 44 explanations long of it! I didn't complain then

jennifer

/
    Last edited by jennifer; 08-01-2010 at 02:59 AM.

The Wandering Juvie.

What episosde was the 2001 parody where Homer is an ape in?

Quote Originally Posted by Malachy
    What episosde was the 2001 parody where Homer is an ape in?
    Lisa's Pony

Kamatsu Motors Bimbo

Quote Originally Posted by buh
    What episode had 'The Yes Guy' say "Sir, other customers need to use their dressing room". and Homer goes "Dressing Room,? Uh-Oh"

what is that from, i just can't remember!
    What about - (grampa) pass me my hat I need to use the out house... (homer) My toolshed!... oh dad...? which was that from and why does Homer say oh dad in a different tone not a panicked one? :laugh:

jennifer

/

What about - (grampa) pass me my hat I need to use the out house... (homer) My toolshed!... oh dad...? which was that from and why does Homer say oh dad in a different tone not a panicked one? :laugh:
    It's from Who Shot Mr. Burns Part 2. Grampa said he was going to use the out house. Homer realized he doesn't have an outhouse and that Grampa is going to "do something" in Homer's toolshed. Homer was trying to get his father's attention by saying "Oh dad..." in a different tone (so that his father could hear him). Later in the episode, you see Homer spraying a toolshed, that has never ever been seen before, with a hose. To sum it up Grampa thought the toolshed was the outhouse and he did his business in there.

Kamatsu Motors Bimbo

I know and I wanted to know why he said oh dad? in that tone and also what episode it was from, I know he crapped in there... lol but in Family Guy there is some jokes I don't understand in one of them Peter is spelling to himself and one Peter is faster than the other and one bashes the other also the whole Rocket Man thing that Stewie does on stage when Meg is trying to fit in with the popular kids?

jennifer

/

Stonecutter

Whats the episode where Homer go into a forest and comes out known as big foot. (what Season as well)

Banned

Call of the Simpson Season One

jennifer

/

Hired Goon

Season 8's "The Springfield Files."

The many spinning newspaper sequences we see on the show - are they an homage to a particular film? I have a feeling it's Citizen Kane, but as I haven't actually seen the film, I can't be sure. Can anyone confirm?

No - its just a very, very old movie convention (that carried over to tv, too).

Junior Camper

I know and I wanted to know why he said oh dad? in that tone and also what episode it was from, I know he crapped in there... lol but in Family Guy there is some jokes I don't understand in one of them Peter is spelling to himself and one Peter is faster than the other and one bashes the other also the whole Rocket Man thing that Stewie does on stage when Meg is trying to fit in with the popular kids?
    I don't know if this is the place for Family Guy questions, but since you asked, here you go. The first joke is a parody of the Electric Company, in which two people's profiles spell out a word together, like "bah" and "at"=bat. The joke is that Peter is not fast enough for his counterpart and he punches (?) him as a result.

The second references William Shatner's stilted interpretation of Elton John's "Rocket Man" at the Sci-Fi Awards in 1978 and basically Stewie imitates the three different "characters" Shatner portrays in it (the smoking guy on the stool, the other cooler guy, etc.). It was just a weird performance of Shatner's that has also been parodied by Beck in "Where It's At."

Here's a link of Shatner's performance (I could only get audio, but I think you might be able to see the performance too):

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=6570
    "I believe that famous people have a debt to everyone. If celebrities didn't want people pawing through their garbage and saying they're gay, they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

Area Man

Here's one from me - about the Robotic Richard Simmons gag from the "Burns' Heir" outtake in "The Simpsons' 138th Episode Spectactular". Is there any particular reason why the robot was Richard Simmons?

Crotis Jivefunk

Probably because he's a fruit and Homer's scared of exercising.

just to let you know... i'v been wanting to collect some of these important questions and answers to one web document and now it's done and online.

everybody whose answers are attached on there are also credited in the end of the page. if you feel i can't use your answer on this particular document, please contact me at jukka@simpsonsfolder.com and i will remove your answer from the document.

so, most interesting stuff which this 8 pages on this thread has created (so far!) can be seen at http://www.simpsonsfolder.com/special/faq.html

hope you like it cause it's certainly easier way to read all these q's and a's.

(don't reply in this thread about this message. mail me your thoughs so the discussion in this thread won't go off-topic).
    Last edited by Jukka; 12-04-2004 at 01:58 AM.
    latest simpsons news from jukka to you + more