0 0%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R&R Bart the murderer

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    I think any episode can drag if it's not interesting to the viewer. Personally, I didn't find it that funny (there were a few funny moments, like "I will never doubt you again"), but that's subjective. The plot just wasn't that interesting to me. Bart being with the Mafia was interesting initially, but by the time it had come to the Skinner bit, I lost interest, and I never regained it, making the climax of the episode somewhat anti-climatic. Haven't seen it in a few days so I'm struggling to remember, but I think the Skinner bit happened quickly, sort of came and went, making him bursting through the court doors fairly undramatic. But as said I've seen other episodes since then and my memory could be wrong, but that's how I feel at the moment. It lost steam from my perspective, but as said this is probably down to subjective views on what is interesting in plot/humour.
    The Skinner plot of the episode was the whole basis of the third act. The act is almost entirely concentrated on Skinner/finding Skinner/the court case etc. But really there's nothing I can argue to say that the plot was interesting because that's subjective. Again I view it as one of the best examples of the early season's story telling ability and a great mix of humor/characters/plot and animation.

I find it pretty funny you have season 7 as your favourite and you haven't liked season 3 on your re watch as season 7 is modeled directly after season 3. LFLK is slow because it's more of a character based episode(again an episode in my top 50 at least I think). It's without a doubt the most interesting Krusty episode and a prime example of Simpsons at their peak. Hopefully season 3 upon watching more of it makes you like it more. Also what season 2 or 3 episodes get a C grade from you?
    Last edited by Bart's treehouse; 09-21-2011 at 10:40 AM.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I just think I need to watch the earlier seasons more. I pretty much grew up on my season 6, 7 and 8 DVDs so they're the kind of style I'm used to. Maybe that's why I don't enjoy season 3 as much? I don't know. But I've rewatched some season 2 episodes recently though and they've really impressed me, so maybe it's not.

As for C grade episodes in seasons 2 and 3, well, I'm not sure as the reason I am rewatching 3 (and hopefully 2 afterwards) is to become more familiar with them so I can grade them accurately, but in season 2, Dancin' Homer is probably a C range episode. Mainly due to the fact the first half took place inside the baseball stadium which really did drag. Season 3 Cs... When Flanders Failed gets a C+ (I wrote why in the R/R thread I think), LFLK narrowly misses a C+, and maybe the Otto Show due to a dodgy plot. But most of these are tentative as I have not seen much of season 3 and 2 in a long time, so I can't comment accurately on the majority of episodes in those seasons. But I do hope I enjoy the rest of season 3 more.

Banned

*Troy McClure's chocolate advert.
    *Bart first meeting Fat Tony and the other gangsters.
    *Chief Wiggum's hilarious lines.
    *Homer demanding Bart smoke all the cigarettes in his room.
    *Bart strutting about in his blue Italian style suit and acting very Pacino/De Niro-esque with Marge.
    *Flowers By Irene (FBI)
    *Bart trying to bribe Skinner before arrogantly slapping him.
    *The Kiss of Death.
    *The gangsters surrounding Skinner in his office.
    *Bart's nightmare of him being executed including Homer's hilarious "Kill my boy, kill my boy" outbursts.
    *Small cameo appearances from Lionel Hutz and a muscular Sideshow Bob.
    *Bart's court case.
    *Skinner's dramatic reappearance and courageous story.
    *Neil Patrick Harris as Bart.

Not to mention hilarious lines like "Forgive me Don Bartholomew", "How did you get past the hall monitors?" and "Prostitution, Loan sharking, numbers, the kid liked to wet his beak in everything"

5/5, 10/10, 20/20 and A +++ if that grade is possible.
    Last edited by Bleedin' Gums Murphy; 11-20-2011 at 01:21 PM.

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I quite liked this episode. The Flowers By Irene joke is a classic. 4.5/5, rounded to 5 for the poll.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    I quite liked this episode. The Flowers By Irene joke is a classic. 4.5/5, rounded to 5 for the poll.
    What about the episode prevented you from rating it a 5.0 ?

Blog Entries

Classic, one of my favorite episodes from the season 3. 4.5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Gums Murphy View Post
    What about the episode prevented you from rating it a 5.0 ?
    Nothing was wrong with the episode, but I didn't like it quite enough for a 5/5. If I'm going to give a 5/5 to an episode, I need to really like it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    Nothing was wrong with the episode, but I didn't like it quite enough for a 5/5. If I'm going to give a 5/5 to an episode, I need to really like it.
    What did you not quite like about it? If your not a fan of The Godfather and films like that then that's probably why (just guessing)

Blog Entries

Well, that's probably it. 5/5 episodes generally just have that "something extra" that I like enough to rate them that way. It's really hard to explain. But 4.5/5 doesn't mean I find something wrong with an episode. It just means that... ugh, I can't explain it. 5/5s are reserved for my very favourites, I guess. Maybe Top 30, or even 25.

Blog Entries

I could have owned an animation cell of Homer going "KILL MY BOY" but I wasn't really interested in the show back then. Now I'm kicking myself. 4.5/5.

Blog Entries

A++
    Best episodes of Season 3. Interesting plot, Italian mafia, principal Skinner and a lot of great jokes (Flowers by Iren, Bart's dream, horse's name etc.)
    My Top 20.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This is a fantastic episode. The plot is interesting and dramatic, and it the first appearance of Fat Tony, one of my favourite characters (even though episodes about him are often not very good. But this is probably his best appearance. And I love Joe Mantegna's voice). I never realized this before, but this episode is basically perfect. 10/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

Great first appearance of Fat Tony. I really like the beginning with the choclate factory. The Troy Mcclure movie was great. I also enjoyed Bart sorting posts. The stuff with the mafia was awesome, i always laugh at the scene when the mafia points guns at Bart when they first see him. I really like the stuff with the manhattan, or when Barts drinks milk. The skinner stuff is good as well. Overall, i dont have much too say that has already been said about this episode. Great episode. Grade:A+
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 07-22-2013 at 01:11 PM.

5/5

One of the very best of Season 3

Junior Camper

Fat Tony's first appearance, one of my favourites of the season. 5/5

Banned

I concur. 5/5, 10/10, A+

5/5, A+
    very good

The episode starts well with the concept of Bart having a bad day and then being involved in. A gang that part of the episode and Fat Tony's introduction are the best part of the episode, after that when they frame Bart for murder just slows the story down and Skinners story about how they didn't find him is rushed and that is unfortunate becuase without that it would've been a very good episode.
    8/10

8/10: what a great debut for fat tony. The plot ofbthis episode reminded me of the movie good fellas with. I liked the relationship between Bart and the mob. The scene with homer and fat Tony having a conversation at the bar was hilarious. Also fat tony explaining to Bart about the work he does and how he's not a crook was also hilarious

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty funny episode with some memorable gags. “What did I ever do to deserve such a flat, flavorless Manhattan?” B
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lisa saying "I think this is something Bart would really have enjoyed. But it's the only way he'll learn." annoys me every time I see this episode, because he did literally nothing wrong that he had to "learn". He just suffered unfair misfortune.
    Learn to remember to bring your permission slip I guess?

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah this definitely was one of the first that really had Lisa be unbearable and not even have anything negative come out of it. Maybe if she saw him get pulled into the principal's office or he'd been kicked off the trip for a prank gone awry she'd have a reason to say that but as it stands, she just a bitch.

It's a good thing we got one of the greatest guest (to regular) characters ever in Fat Tony and his goons to make up for the opening. They're undeniably great.

Junior Camper

I have mixed feelings about this episode to me honest, still leaning more towards the positive though. It's the first example I noticed of the show leaning more towards cartoonish absurdity and pushing the boundaries of its reality with our 10-year-old protagonist on trial for "murdering" his principal. I standby my feelings that Bart is an extremely likable and empathetic character (even in later seasons), and that holds true in this episode, in fact, I love Bart's characterization here, but it makes the cruelty of the show's writers and other characters towards him in this episode sting, just a slight, especially in the opening act. I don't want to see Bart suffering unless he deserves it (Bart vs. Thanksgiving) or is learning some kind of lesson (Bart Sells His Soul). I guess he does learn the lesson that crime doesn't pay (which leads into my favourite joke in the episode when Fat Tony drives away in his limo). Onto which, something more positive... Fat Tony is introduced!

I don't want to sound down on this episode. Overall I liked it. It has lots of funny moments, Skinner trapped under the newspapers was very amusing, along with Fat Tony's justification for stealing a truck load of cigarettes.

Would've been 7.5, but any episode with Fat Tony bumps it up half a point for me. 8/10

Fat Tony's first episode.

I really feel bad for Bart at the beginning, everything was like against him and I think around this time we learn how good of a cop Wiggum is but I don't think that started showing up until the following season, but man that is just....why would they have Bart be in a cell with Sideshow Bob? but then again this was pre-psycho sideshow bob he didn't go crazy until his next appearance

and yeah there were so many tv movies back in the day I bet they changed so darn much info, I think the tv movie boom went bust in the mid 2000s before they were all banished to lifetime, Hallmark and HBO (seriously I'm old enough to remember when when they aired on cable and the major networks, I even remember when the elizabeth smart story and the Jessica Lynch story aired on the same night on two different networks....Smart's story won that night)
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Thread Information