Thread: Shows that Copied the Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

Shows that Copied the Simpsons

I'm trying to compile a page of moments where another television show copied/stole (not parodied) lines or gags from the Simpsons.

For example in family guy, there's a scene where Peter is playing blackjack which is very similar to a scene from Brother from the Same Planet.

Any help would be appreciated

Crotis Jivefunk

There was a Donkey Kong joke on Crank Yankers similar to the one in The Springfield Files.

stop happening

I don't know if this counts, but in family guy they had the Y2K bug strike just like the simpsons had in a halloween special I think. I'm pretty sure the simpsons did it first, but not positive.
    Season rankings (best to worst)

Stonecutter

I don't think that would count, it's kinda generic.

Pin Pal

I think pretty much everyone has copied the "Operator, quick! What's the number for 911?" gag. Unless that gag is older than the episode...

All Brain, All The Time.

This kind of thing is pointless. Just because you see a gag on the simpsons first, doesn't mean they were the first to do it.
    Peter Griffin: "The grown up in me likes the prospect of fun,
    but the kid in me is suicidal over what a fat bastard I will become."

Sideshow Bob: "Just the thought of all that raw, surging power
    makes me wonder why the hell I should care!"

South Park : Simpsons already did it

Dude, just watch episode 607 of South Park it's called "Simpsons already did it" Butters is trying to take over the world and everything he's done copies the Simpsons. Makes a good point at the end. Funny as hell.

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's a great episode, and Chef makes a good point at the end..."The Genisis Tub" from THOH XII was a redoing a Twilight Zone episode (though that's a cheat, because those segments are rarely original in concept)...so, in the end...Simpsons just copied old sitcom ideas, no big deal...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Junior Camper

Re: South Park : Simpsons already did it

Originally posted by techie775
    Dude, just watch episode 607 of South Park it's called "Simpsons already did it" Butters is trying to take over the world and everything he's done copies the Simpsons. Makes a good point at the end. Funny as hell.
    dude, I think you're missing my point.
    That whole episode was a knockoff/parody of the simpsons. I'm interested in shows that actually ripped off lines from the simpsons.
    And I'm aware that many things the simpsons do are copies/parodies from past shows, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Probably my favorite South Park episode of all time.

There's an early episode of "King of the Hill" that opens the same way as the Simpsons' "22 Short Films About Springfield": Two boys standing on an overpass spitting at cars (Bart and Milhouse; Bobby and Joseph). The wraparounds of "Short Films" were written by Greg Daniels, creator of KotH, so I guess he was doing a little bit of self-borrowing there.

For the "Family Guy" episode with the highest percentage of Simpsons borrowing, I nominate "The Son Also Draws." But there are lots of candidates.

voted for Kodos

Originally posted by ShadowBun
    I think pretty much everyone has copied the "Operator, quick! What's the number for 911?" gag. Unless that gag is older than the episode...
    I think I remember that from an old Roger Rabbit cartoon from the late 80's or early 90's.

Junior Camper

I don't think it's original to the simpsons but I'm not sure.
    I'm pretty sure there's a line in Teen Angel where someone says 'I'm choking on my own rage here'. Then again, Jean and Reiss were the executive producers of that show too.

There's a Spongebob episode where Spongebob's brain is removed and put in a robot worker, only for it to also end up lazy and refusing to work. Sound familiar?
    Also, in another Spongebob episode, Squidward's house has a security system that causes it to grow legs and walk away. Where have we seen that before?

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Family Guy sometimes does stuff first, like how The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be copied It Takes a Village Idiot, and I Married One down to the long title
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Blog Entries

Family guy IS itself a parody of The Simpsons. A family of five, a house that we don't even know how can they afford, a disappointed man about his job, friends at a bar, weird citizens, an under-appreciated housewife, a rocky relationship with Peter with his daughter etc. Where do you think they found all this material?

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simpson's Fan View Post
    Family guy IS itself a parody of The Simpsons. a rocky relationship with Peter with his daughter
    Hahaha. I think there is a difference between the character the show treats like a God sometimes getting mad at her father for things he usually can't control or things she has nothing to do with and a character who the writers treat like trash by making her father abuse her as a "joke."

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

As much as a great the Simpsons, I wish FOX would create more cartoons that isn't directly copied from it and Family Guy (dysfunctional family)
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dinosaurs. Lampshaded in The Simpsons itself.

Also in Spongebob, when Spongebob lost his house, Patrick helped rebuild it, only for it to end up poor quality and fall apart. Just like in Hurricane Neddy.
    Last edited by Rover Hendrix; 10-01-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Mrs. Brown's Boys stole the any key gag from "King Sized Homer". Thankfully that made me stop watching that god awful program, and hopefully not too many on this site have any clue what TV show I'm talking about!

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

Good thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    Mrs. Brown's Boys stole the any key gag from "King Sized Homer". Thankfully that made me stop watching that god awful program, and hopefully not too many on this site have any clue what TV show I'm talking about!
    I had to look it up, from what I read there were plenty of other reasons to not watch it.

There's a TV show called Under the Dome. According to IMDb it was based in a novel of Stephen King, but I remember that one character said that a city closed under a dome was something that happened in The Simpsons Movie.
    And that's all what I remember of that awful series.
    Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida: ?/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: ?/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: ?/5

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

'Under The Dome' was such an fascinatingly terrible show (and I think the reference to 'The Simpsons Movie' felt hamfisted; forced attempt at poking fun at how 'The Simpsons' did it first). Felt like the writers stopped caring less and less as it went on until it was such a rushed, incompetent & cartoonish mess by the end.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by Simpson's Fan View Post
    Family guy IS itself a parody of The Simpsons. A family of five, a house that we don't even know how can they afford, a disappointed man about his job, friends at a bar, weird citizens, an under-appreciated housewife, a rocky relationship with Peter with his daughter etc. Where do you think they found all this material?
    Not really. Completely different styles of sitcom.

Also, shows like Big City Greens, where the main characters also are yellow like The Simpsons, but the background characters are from different colors (red, orange, green, blue, pink, purple, brown, etc...).

Thread Information