• 5/5

25 17.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R/R Trouble With Trillions

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

This Is Dizzy Stuff, Folks duffless89's Avatar

I was astounded by the episode's averageness. D+

Monorail Conductor

It's sad to see that so many people dog this episode, however, ppl are so strongly divided on it. There are 10 ppl that vote 2/5 and also 10 ppl that vote 4/5, so obviously, there is some difference of opinion here. However, I still stick with my original vote of 4/5.
    Homer: "I call the big one Bitey."

Meh episode. 3/5

Despite involving one of my favorite lines from Bart (and not to mention good ones from Burns himself), this one unfortunately gets a 2/5.

"I can buy and sell your sorry ass."

"Oh stop fishing for compliments, Smithers. Go home to your can of mushroom soup."

Still, plot wasn't very strong, good dialogue here and there kept this one alive.

thank you based god SideshowTim's Avatar

I really don't think it's that much of a bad episode, but it was very 'Un-Simpsonish'. Trouble with Trillions just seems different to most episodes of the Simpsons to me, It didn't feature the Simpson family as a whole as much as usual and the story was very weird, it was really more like a plot from the Family Guy. It also ended very abruptly with Fidel Castro just stealing the trillion dollar bill. It is a good episode humour wise but as I said earlier it was just lacking a certain charm or something to associate it with other good Simpsons episodes. C+

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I give it a 3,5/5 or a B-. I think it´s one of the best in Scully era featuring Homer and Burns. Not a classic, but very funny.

Galalimit

First part was great and the second part was awful. 3/5

I like annoying avatar images Clarence's Avatar

2/5 Mostly trash.

click HERE if my Jesus with Guns avatar offends you (or if ya wanna get a laugh)

3/5. Pretty good episode, not too keen on the ending though
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B

Ehh, I have a soft spot for this episode. Sure, if had some really stupid stuff, and the "Who needs college?" line from Lisa that irritates me to no end, but some of the stuff here is just so great and memorable, like the photo booth password, "I call president!" "Vice president!" and all of Castro's stuff ("It's full of what?!," "Now give it back." "Give what back?") I also bog it down for its dumb ending.
    Grade: 3/5

Geez, didn't expect such a negative attitude. It had it's moments.

3.5/5

Haven't seen it since 1999, when it premiered on Sky...

What I remember : it was a very disjointed episode. Pretty bad characterisations and very few decent jokes. (this is just a wild guess that it's this episode but:) Homer trying to slip himself the suicide pill, multiple times, was a down-right awful joke, were they trying to make it funny by having him want to take it again when the FBI agent said "Let's take a walk..."? The 3rd act with Homer and Burns (and Smithers? Can't remember if he went or not...) leaving America in a plane and going to Cuba was completely out-of-the-blue and unexpected, and only made for an even more forgettable episode. Glad I haven't seen it in 6 years. 2/5.

Stonecutter

Some funny moments here and there and I enjoyed the first act. But this episode is quite meh. The ending is terrible too. But still a little underrated IMO. B/B-

Long ago forgotten... Fallin2hell's Avatar

I really didnt like this. Mr Burns is just too out of character (speaking of out of character, what happened to Lisa?) 2/5

Blog Entries

Well, surprise surprise, SimpsonFloyd's gonna go against the flow again

Personally, I think this is one of the best episodes of Season 9. The entire first act is, pure and simple, absolute comedy genius! The whole thing with tax day is so true to life (it's like the DMV on the 30th) thatt you just can't help but laugh. After that, the laughs kept coming ("The only thing we've been able to ascertain from satellite photos is that it's not on the roof!") and I love how after Burns tries to scald Homer, he offers to go get him a towel, which seems very in-character to me. Cuba scenes are also hilarious. The only thing that bothers me in the whole episode is Lisa's line about college, but I'd probably say the same thing in her situation.

Allow me to create controversy as I give this episode a well-deserved 5/5, A+!
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

must say i really like this episode too. It's wacky of course, but i think they story is funny and entertaining. Also wacky Burns is not so bad imo and still one of my favorite characters.

B+

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

Eh, Slightly Above Average Episode, C+
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is one of the episodes which make me believe seriously in the reviews.

I'm stunned about the terrible consideration in which Trouble With Trillions is here. It's easy to understand a few D's, or some people saying that the episode is awful, but not almost the whole forum.

I must say that I currently love this episode. Not only because of great jokes in the first part. Burns was perfectly-depicted, with a great use of his senile dementia for humour but anyway keeping his solemnity in the development. Homer's first act was hilarious and then I enjoyed immensely his relationship with Burns.

I don't think the plot is "un-simpsonish". The fact that nothing similar has been done in the series doesn't mean that it doesn't transmit The Simpsons' nature in each scene. The humour was completely simpsonish and adapted to every character's circumstances, both Homer and Burns had an irreproachable characterization, and I was also pleased with criticism. Personifying a satire about the capitalism in Burns' speech (who is supposed to be the highest money-lover in the series) was so ironically effective that it justified the disjointed style of the third act at all. Comparing this with what Family Guy does regularly is insane. Where is the interest beyond the easy visual humour and the gratuitous surrealism that the Griffins show in these kinds of plots? Trouble With Trillions has a nearly impossible plot and takes too many liberties at its development, but all that unrealistic style had a rational cause and worked for a satire impeccable in a lot of aspects. I really enjoyed the dialogue with Fidel Castro (surely the best parody of a politician in the series) and the ending was tremendous, with that Burns' epic speech:
    "Well, if it's a crime to love one's country, then I'm guilty. And if it's a crime to steal a trillion dollars from our government and hand it over to communist Cuba, then I'm guilty of that too. And if it's a crime to bribe a jury, then so help me, I'll soon be guilty of that!"

10/10. A painfully underrated masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris Szyslak View Post
    "Well, if it's a crime to love one's country, then I'm guilty. And if it's a crime to steal a trillion dollars from our government and hand it over to communist Cuba, then I'm guilty of that too. And if it's a crime to bribe a jury, then so help me, I'll soon be guilty of that!"
    You forgot to add Homer's: "God bless America!"

I love that speech to, especially how Burn's last sentence of his speech indirectly explains how he eventually gets himself out of his predicament.

I listened to this one on commentary not to long ago, and considering what the plot originally was with Homer leading a bunch of indians. We could've gotten something much worse, and alot more offensive than this. Which was harmless at best.

Blog Entries

5/5, i think it should be an episode i despise, but since only about 2 or 3 of those exist, i consider it a strong offering

I agree with SimpsonFloyd, Morris Szyslak and SpringfieldFiles, it's a very very underrated episode. 17/20, one of my favorites of season 9.
    Season Rankings : 7 > 5 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 9 > 3 > 2 > 10 > 15 > 16 > 1 > 11 > 14 > 12 > 20 > 18 > 17 > 19 > 13.

The first two acts are great. The final third gets a little wacky, but no more than some of the out there season 5 stuff. I don't think it's among the best of the series, but it's definitely entertaining. 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Léo Pard View Post
    I agree with SimpsonFloyd, Morris Szyslak and SpringfieldFiles, it's a very very underrated episode. 17/20, one of my favorites of season 9.
    I agree with all of you, this one is awfully underrated. 4/5

underrated episode yeah. sure this ain't no lisa's substitute or cape feare, wacky plot and there's lots of OOC moments for everyone, but considering that most season 9 episodes are full of OOC moments and wacky plots anyway, and this one is particularly hilarious, i'll give it a 4/5 (relative to the show's state at that point. comparing this ep to the classic episodes, it's a mere 2/5).

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuio View Post

A painfully--
    Yeah, that part of your review was right.

Vastly underrated.

Kidding. It's awful. The episode before this, "Simpson Tide", was probably even more insane than this one, but that one actually managed to squeeze some humour out of it. The problems in this episode are emblematic of the rest of Scully's episodes, albeit slightly less exaggerated. The zany situations don't seem to hold any wit or comedic value or purpose, unlike Mirkin's episodes, or even "Simpson Tide" (by Jean and Reiss). Yeah, I like "Simpson Tide".

However, if I was rating this episode based on the jokes themselves, as I suspect some of the above users have, I'd be much more forgiving. This episode does have its moments. There are some very funny jokes scattered in the first half. But jokes don't make the episode. After all, there are some very funny jokes scattered around Seasons 10-12. D+

only seen this once and have no interest of doing so again. part of the reason why season 9 was on the verge of being terrible. it's sort of the same problem i have with Lisa the Skeptic where i should probably watch it for a second time, but i hate it with such vitriol the first time that i can't see such an endeavor as anything more than a waste of my time.

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3/5

One high point: "Good Morning, Agent Johnson"

The episode is somewhat enjoyable. I watched it a few days ago after watching Seinfeld's "The Race". Both episodes lead to Cuba and Fidel.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...psons_5F14.png

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with qwert. Well, I won't probably give it the perfect score since the third act was maybe a little wacky, but I still don't understand the problems with it. Homer is hilarious, Burns is hilarious and both of them are more in character than they had been since season 10 until today...Well, maybe Homer no, but Burns surely is. Smithers is also funny in the episode. Lisa's line may be silly, but it's not a big deal, and I think it's just that they have so much money than even Lisa relaxed a little.

The scene with Homer in Burns' home is nothing sort of hilarious and classic Simpsons. Everything in the first and two acts is pure genius, and the final speech is brilliant.

My previous review was less enthusiastic, but now I'll say it's a classic or at least it has some really classic moments there and it's one of the best post-season 9 episodes and one of the very few that makes good use of both Burns and Smithers. For all of you that talk about OOC moments I will say that I would really like to see Burns and Smithers in such good character in recent seasons.

I don't get how somebody can't think this isn't humurous either, all the scenes with Homer spying for the government are hilarious, The Firm spoofs are very funny, the video in the photo booth, everything with Burns believing Homer is a journalist...

Homer : Does this make me look fat?
    Lisa : No, it makes you look like a tool of governtment oppression.
    Homer : But not fat?

Find me a dialogue as funny as that one in a recent season.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 12-02-2009 at 07:24 AM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

I gave this episode a 3/5; I enjoy it. I think it's a quality episode with rewatchability. Is it a classic? Not by any means, but it's pretty funny and the plot may be zany but at least I kept my sanity.

I love the Flanders bit at the beginning. He gets up at midnight on New Year's Day to do his taxes. "It's 8:35 and here I am jabbering like it's 8:25." Then there's Homer and his taxes. "I put it on your to-do pile." "I have a to-do pile?" *his beer sits on it* "How many kids do we have? Oh no time to count, I'll just guess...uh, 9." This is funny stuff.

The part with Homer as a rat is also good. "The only thing we've been able to ascertain from satellite photos is that it's not on the roof." I think Burns is pretty good in this episode. I even like the Cuba part. "Mr. Burns, I think we can trust the president of Cuba."

So yeah, I think this is a funny episode. But I gave it a 3/5, and not 4/5, because it doesn't really resonate with me. This episode is a lot of style and little substance. There's no real emotional tie-in with the characters, and even Lisa goes against her character by saying, "who needs college, we're rich." The resolution of Burns bribing a jury is cheap and easy. And frankly, while I like this episode, I don't like it as much as other episodes that I would give a 4/5, so it gets a 3/5.

I'm surprised so many people have negative feelings towards this episode. It's at least funny and rewatchable, if not emotionally resonant.

Thread Information