116 46.40%
  • 3/5: Rational

55 22.00%
  • 2/5: Dim-witted

13 5.20%
  • 1/5: Simon Cowell

8 3.20%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Smart and Smarter" (FABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Crotis Jivefunk

Season Ratings Revised:
    -THOH XIV 4/5
    -My Mother the Carjacker 5/5
    -The President Wore Pearls Haven't Seen
    -The Regina Monologues 5/5
    -The Fat and the Furriest 4/5
    -Today, I Am A Clown 5/5
    -Tis the 15th Season 5/5
    -Marge Vs. Everyone 3/5
    -I, D'oh-bot 4.5/5
    -Diatribe For A Mad Housewife 4/5
    -Margical History Tour 3.5/5
    -Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore 5/5
    -Smart and Smarter 4/5
    Last edited by Strong Sad; 12-29-2004 at 08:10 PM.

Originally posted by or_smth
    Another thing that really stood out as good was the first good metareference of the season, having "You are Lisa Simpson" make a resurgence. It was subtle enough to make it funny.
    It was subtle enough, until they panned over to the framed note and picture of Mr. Bergstrom. And then the joke was slaughtered...

"Smart & Smarter" was a decent episode but not as good as last week's. I believe the episode would have worked a little better without Lisa trying out new identities, & with more time dealing with Lisa & Maggie together. On the bright side there were abundance of excellent gags including Homer & the "frog", Nelson on the bus, the "others" line, Mr. Bergstrom's note, & almost everything with Wiggum, Eddie & Lou. I also (from some weird reason) thought Barney's line "you said no one would get hurt" was hilarious. For the most part I enjoyed the ending with it being discovered that Lisa was helping out Maggie. So like I stated before, it wasn't as good as last week's, but still a terrific addition to season 15: B+/B

Season 15 (so far . . .)

Treehouse Of Horror XIV: B
    My Mother The Carjacker: B+
    The President Wore Pearls: A
    The Regina Monologues: B
    The Fat and the Furriest: B-
    Today, I am a Clown: A
    'Tis The Fifteenth Season: A
    Marge vs. Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples and Teens and Gays: B
    I, D'oh-bot: B+
    Diatribe of a Housewife: B+
    Margical History Tour: C+
    Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore: A
    Smart and Smarter: B+/B
    Last edited by MacGyver 666; 02-22-2004 at 06:48 PM.

Atr this point, I liked this one. The frog had me laughing my ass off, and the thing were tyhey went through the giant body was good, too. At this point, it's 4/5. I might post a longer review later.

Pin Pal

It would have been funnier if they ended it right there but instead they had to go and make him to some stupid laugh. I laughed when he said the line but quickly stopped when they made homer giggle.
    To be fair, Cowell's character Henry said if Maggie got that question right, she'd have the intelligence of a dolphin. So when Homer got it right, he slapped his hands together like a dolphin. It wasn't the greatest joke, but it didn't just involve him laughing like a fool.

Can anyone tell me what the couch gag was? I missed it.

EDIT: I just remembered another joke I loved: Homer saying that they should have a fourth kid that's so smart, it'll build a time machine so they could go to the past and prevent themselves from ever having kids. Ah, paradoxes...

Treehouse of Horror XIV- B
    My Mother, the Carjacker- B+
    The President Wore Pearls- A-
    The Regina Monolouges- D-
    The Fat and the Furriest- C-
    Today, I Am a Clown- B+
    'Tis the Fifteenth Season- A
    Marge vs. Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples, Teens, and Gays- B-
    I, D'oh-bot- C-
    Diatribe of A Mad Housewife- B
    Margical History Tour- C
    Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore- A-
    Smart and Smarter- B-

Mixed bag in some ways, but overall enjoyable. As usual here's my review.

This definetely wasn't as well formed as, say, last week's episode, but was enjoyable enough. First let's look at humor.

Humorwise I would there wasn't much in this episode that was out-and-out hilarious, but at the same time it was consistant and very little fell flat. In fact there was some really great stuff, like Homer and the baby toy, the bit with Nelson on the bus, some of Lisa's "quick change" personas, etc. Very few real highlights, but enough to make everything enjoyable. I also found it pretty funny in the beginning when they finally noticed Maggie's ability to spell with blocks. 15 seasons in, and they finally notice after even the "official" premiere of the show featured a joke revolving around Maggie's ability.

Unfortunately there were a few duds. The sweet/bitter tongue thing was sorta lame, but a minor complaint. However, there were a couple things I didn't like, ironically pertaining to my favorite episode, Lisa's Substitute. The lesser of those was the "FREE BEER: Now that we've got your attention...." flyers, which was already done obviously in LS with the "SEX! Now that we've got your attention..." flyers. Of course that would also be a minor complaint otherwise, but what's conspicuous is that shortly beforehand there is even a callback to Lisa's Substitute with the "I already have one of those" note. That to me was too cheap a joke for a couple reasons. For one, it almost wasn't as much a real joke as it was another "hey, here's another old-school episode reference!" thing that got a pretty tired (to say the least) last season with Mary Bailey, Stampy, etc. Plus, maybe I'm being too sensitive about it, but the original "You are Lisa Simpson" scene is to me one of the most poignant things the show ever did, and I just don't like seeing it being cheapened in that way. If it had been a callback to something else (even Stampy or whatever) that wouldn't bug me as much I guess. Also, as one last (somewhat minor) complaint I didn't really find Cowell talking over the credits to be that funny. It was already done (much better of course, although that's probably because Dan C. is a fantastic voice actor whereas Cowell....isn't) in Bart Star. But oh well.

Still, don't want to be too negative. Again humor was otherwise consistantly good.

Story wise, things are iffier. There wasn't so much wrong about it really, but I think it could have been done better. I'm afraid Channel Surfer's predictions/worries that it could feel too contrived ended up being correct in a way. It seemed like there wasn't enough build up (say, actually showing scenes before its "discovered" that Maggie is a genius where we see Lisa identifying herself as the smartest of the family) to Lisa's problem and it felt a little contrived in some ways. Plus, the "human body" thing was a little too crazy and silly for my tastes.

There's a plus side too though. Despite feeling contrived the story was again entertaining enough. It had some good (if a little shallow) character moments and Maggie was also used very well, which is always a plus.

I realize the above review maybe has more negatives then positives but I did enjoy this one despite that. I guess this one is like "Today, I am A Clown". Overall entertaining, just with some somewhat jarring problems that perhaps keep it from really reaching its potential.
    Still, Grade: B
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

The episode was good. Not a single joke really seemed out of place, which seems to be trouble lately. When it first started, I was thinking "Huh? What is this crap?", but it picked up from there. Simon was surprisingly funny, and I thought the scenes with him were nicely paced. Lisa living in a museum was weird, but everything the cops said meanwhile was hilarious.

A-

My S15 top five:

1. "My Mother the Carjacker"
    2. "I, D'oh-bot"
    3. "Tis the Fifteenth Season"
    4. "Smart and Smarter"
    5. "The President Wore Pearls"

freedom. silence. always.

was great... until they decided to another lisa/identity ep, i'm not a big fan of lisa episodes

but it was still good

- bart/homer fight was funny
    - lisa turning goth, soccer star, etc
    - homer and phoentic frog (zee zee zee zee zee)
    - FREE BEER! p.s. no free beer
    - homer knocking out simon cowell

that's basically it... it was an original ep (homer marge and bart being digested????)

all in all - 4 out of 5

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder if there's a way to reuse and turn that Einstein joke into a crack at Chris P.
    Last edited by Magnum; 02-22-2004 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

frogophone

Was not impressed at all with this episode. Lisa's characterization was strained, barely likeable, and almost alien to me. Very disappointing, considering what a great job Jean has done with the characters since the last half of season fourteen. This episode is structurally similar to Separate Vocations, concerning Lisa's loss of identity. While a lot of stuff is questionable in that episode, it's downright ridiculous here. Instead of the genuine development that would give weight to a lot of the attempted emotional scenes, we have a barrage of tedious hokum. Even the most banal contrivance they could drop to, as Channel Surfer mentioned in the spec thread, was touched (the "I'm With Genius" shirt). So I couldn't care much about Lisa's loss of her identity, being written in a very forced and not very believable manner. Her "different self" sequence was frankly one of the most embarrassing, artificial moments ever in the show; empty and not at all true to her character. The ending, aside from the always notable direction was hohum. Maggie taking Lisa's que to answer the questions was an unsatisfying conclusion. A thin, flimsy explanation to explain the last half hour's misadventures, something that I could do without seeing again, and bereft of the meaning and character insight that it seemed to be striving for. And many other hokey things went towards making the whole affair very plastic and boring, like Maggie playing the sax at the end, the "sweet/bitter" parts of the tongue, even the homage to Lisa's Sub. It wasn't especially funny either. Simon's guest appearance wasn't offensively bad, but was very path of least resistance, offering a patronizing and painfully predictable parody of his American Idol character. It was a lot more serious in tone than I expected and not "supposed" to be an all out laughathon, but as I explained the more somber side of the episode flopped for me. C
    Last edited by Tibor; 02-22-2004 at 09:44 PM.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Meh, not that bad, but not all that great, either. It got progressively funnier as it went along. The Mr. Bergstrom reference was entirely obnoxious and uncalled for, however. 6/10, C+

frogophone

What was the deal with Moe and Barney? Either something was cut out or I missed a lot there...

I think the point was in fact that you miss a lot. They're there with no explanation (Moe even comments "its a long story, I'll explain later"), and you're just left wondering why. Whether that works in a comedic way is subjective.

Originally posted by Tibor
    Her "different self" sequence was frankly one of the most embarrassing, artificial moments ever in the show; empty and not at all true to her character.C
    The entire "Summer of 4ft.2" was basically that sequence, yet this is out-of-character for her?

frogophone

Noooo, her behaviour in Summer of 4 ft. 2 was developed in a realistic, likeable, relatable way. They spent a whole episode on it, and pulled it off exceptionally. Here they cut & pasted it in to horribly contrived effect. Not conceptually out-of-character, but the execution was terribly lame.

Well I agree it was a very forced attempt at sympathy for her plight; I just didn't see how it wasn't true to her character seeing as it's been done before in what has become a cherished episode.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by lance
    The entire "Summer of 4ft.2" was basically that sequence, yet this is out-of-character for her?
    I dunno..."Summer" was more of a extroverted conflict that stemmed from being her trying to be popular, rather than Lisa trying to find out who she is because a family member usurped her role as the 'gifted' one. "Summer" was about Image, "Smart and Smarter" is about Self.

Anyway, this is one of those episodes that I can't really give an honest grade for. I'm a sucker for any plot that has Maggie as the lead (or in this case, the semi-focus) and this one, despite being a bit bizzarre with the digestive tract deluge and the "American Wedding-ish" maid/butler routine, was one of the guilty-pleasure, cute if you will, episodes.

4/5 (B+)

Jake

Blog Entries

wow that was pretty good

somewhere between 4/5 and 5/5

Sheriff Officer TJ Hooker

Simon cannot voice-act. Ugh! The stuff over the credits was horrible

Slack-Jawed Yokel

The idea sounded absolutely fantastic, but the actual episode was a little choppy when it came to plotline. I was really craving the kind of "classic" feel I got with Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore.

The episode was decent enough but it really didn't have many jokes that I laughed at; more chuckles than anything else. 3/5
    "Time flies when you're young and jerking off."

This episode, which explores the relationship between Lisa and Maggie, was not as good as last week's, which was about the relationship between Lisa and Bart. The scene where Homer, Marge, and Bart travel through the digestive system, thankfully, avoided an easily disgusting joke at the end (since you all know where food once it has traveled completely through the digestive system comes out, do you).

Lisa living in the museum reminded me of Bart living in a mall in the episode "The Last Tap Dance in Springfield". Grade: A solid B.

4/5 or B-

Decent episode, that Mr. Bergstrom joke would have been better if it didn't show the picture.

A decent episode, that and not much more. I guess Simon Cowell was okay, he ended up being nowhere near as irritating or unnecessary as I thought he would be. I could understand how Lisa was feeling most of the time, and I enjoyed how it was handled. The plot was handled pretty well also, but did they really have to throw in a life-threatening situation for the climax? Most of the humor was pretty good, except for a few too many jokes with the talking frog machine, and I found some of the humor directed at Lisa being inferior to Maggie a little too mean-spirited to be all that funny. Plenty of ups and downs, but in the end it was only decent. 3/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

yeah i liked it pretty good.

the plotting sucked, but the humor, i thought, was pretty excellent. i'm not totally sure what i think about it right now.. but i'm leaning towards a B... not that great, but still.. it definitely had its moments and i can see what the writers were going for...

i'd like to mention that the animation nowadays is smokin.

Originally posted by Jake
    I dunno..."Summer" was more of a extroverted conflict that stemmed from being her trying to be popular, rather than Lisa trying to find out who she is because a family member usurped her role as the 'gifted' one. "Summer" was about Image, "Smart and Smarter" is about Self.
    I disagree. It starts as an image crisis, or rather a desire for acceptance, but by the end, with her "Being myself didn't work, being someone else didn't work", I think it begins to explore how Lisa feels about herself, and becomes more about identity than image. Plus Bart's role in that episode could parallel Lisa's in this episode. But I do think it is very different from this episode in context however.

I can, and have argued that "Summer of 4 ft" is contrived in some ways in Chris Pfeiler's review thread, but a debate on that could fill a whole thread, and probably isn't best to explore here.

Anyway:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...blockid-79455/

Agree with pretty much anybody who suggested the Lisa/Maggie thing was contrived, though I did still enjoy the episode enough. The conflict was more boring than annoying for reasons I elaborated on in the review, and rather my interest was held by the humor, like the phonics frog, the "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" dream sequence, Chief Wiggum, Eddy, and Lou's role in the third act, Homer's comment about each child being smarter than the last, the "Free Beer" thing (seems more like a tribute to "Lisa's Substitute" than a rip-off, considering the "You are Lisa Simpson" scene), and the bus scene with Nelson to name a few. Simon Cowell's guest spot was definitely an obvious self-parody role, but at least many of the individual barbs were worth a chuckle, so it didn't bother me. It was the disposable plot that was my biggest issue, and the story was just really hard to get into.

Grade: C+
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 02-23-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Blog Entries

It was funny, I'll admit. Simon was not horrible, and really hilarious sometimes. Also, I liked the two Lisa Substitute refs, but they've may have been done better. Overall, much fun to be had, especially with police cops in a museum (did anyone else laugh at the "Now the natural man has no wang!" sign joke?)...

4/5
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Pin Pal

Another 3.5/5 (voted for a 3) episode I would say. While I enjoyed many parts of this episode, there were a few unfunny sequences (the beginning fight with Homer and Bart, some of the digestive system, Simon's talking over the end credits), however there were many good sequences (the audition, Wiggum and the police, any scene Maggie was a part of). All in all I would call it a mixed bag, but overall an enjoyable episode.

And I knew that the Mr. Bergstrom scene would be talked about on here, so here are my two cents. I liked the allusion, however it really was not effecticve to me because it seems that Lisa would take to heart what he said more in this situation. In "Summer" Lisa was upset because she was not popular and then learned to be herself. In this episode she already realizes she should be herself, but chooses not to. To me this is a lot less effective and just didn't work.

Maddog.

Originally posted by DotheBartman
    Mixed bag in some ways, but overall enjoyable. As usual here's my review.

This definetely wasn't as well formed as, say, last week's episode, but was enjoyable enough. First let's look at humor.

Humorwise I would there wasn't much in this episode that was out-and-out hilarious, but at the same time it was consistant and very little fell flat. In fact there was some really great stuff, like Homer and the baby toy, the bit with Nelson on the bus, some of Lisa's "quick change" personas, etc. Very few real highlights, but enough to make everything enjoyable. I also found it pretty funny in the beginning when they finally noticed Maggie's ability to spell with blocks. 15 seasons in, and they finally notice after even the "official" premiere of the show featured a joke revolving around Maggie's ability.

Unfortunately there were a few duds. The sweet/bitter tongue thing was sorta lame, but a minor complaint. However, there were a couple things I didn't like, ironically pertaining to my favorite episode, Lisa's Substitute. The lesser of those was the "FREE BEER: Now that we've got your attention...." flyers, which was already done obviously in LS with the "SEX! Now that we've got your attention..." flyers. Of course that would also be a minor complaint otherwise, but what's conspicuous is that shortly beforehand there is even a callback to Lisa's Substitute with the "I already have one of those" note. That to me was too cheap a joke for a couple reasons. For one, it almost wasn't as much a real joke as it was another "hey, here's another old-school episode reference!" thing that got a pretty tired (to say the least) last season with Mary Bailey, Stampy, etc. Plus, maybe I'm being too sensitive about it, but the original "You are Lisa Simpson" scene is to me one of the most poignant things the show ever did, and I just don't like seeing it being cheapened in that way. If it had been a callback to something else (even Stampy or whatever) that wouldn't bug me as much I guess. Also, as one last (somewhat minor) complaint I didn't really find Cowell talking over the credits to be that funny. It was already done (much better of course, although that's probably because Dan C. is a fantastic voice actor whereas Cowell....isn't) in Bart Star. But oh well.

Still, don't want to be too negative. Again humor was otherwise consistantly good.

Story wise, things are iffier. There wasn't so much wrong about it really, but I think it could have been done better. I'm afraid Channel Surfer's predictions/worries that it could feel too contrived ended up being correct in a way. It seemed like there wasn't enough build up (say, actually showing scenes before its "discovered" that Maggie is a genius where we see Lisa identifying herself as the smartest of the family) to Lisa's problem and it felt a little contrived in some ways. Plus, the "human body" thing was a little too crazy and silly for my tastes.

There's a plus side too though. Despite feeling contrived the story was again entertaining enough. It had some good (if a little shallow) character moments and Maggie was also used very well, which is always a plus.

I realize the above review maybe has more negatives then positives but I did enjoy this one despite that. I guess this one is like "Today, I am A Clown". Overall entertaining, just with some somewhat jarring problems that perhaps keep it from really reaching its potential.
    Still, Grade: B
    Since I'm tired and stepped off a plane two hours ago, I'll say that DTBM has pointed out everything I was to include in my review pretty much. I feel the same about the humor and plot of the episode. My favorite bit was Homer and the grammar frog.
    And I bet more than half the people on this board saw the "you are Lisa Simpson" bit coming (as I did).
    Signature.

Thread Information