View Poll Results: Did you think this episode was packin' the good stuff?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 RICH!!

7 50.00%
  • 4/5 Upper-class

6 42.86%
  • 3/5 Middle-class

1 7.14%
  • 2/5 Lower-class

0 0%
  • 1/5 Poor!

0 0%

Thread: Rate/Review KOTH's "Rich Hank, Poor Hank"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Pin Pal

Post Rate/Review KOTH's "Rich Hank, Poor Hank"

I really liked this one. It wasn't outstanding in any one area, but it delivered a good story with some funny lines. The scene with Bobby and Joseph figuring out how much money the Hill family has was a particularly amusing part, as it reminded me of myself as a young kid who knew nothing about money ("Our house costs a million, maybe two million, tops!"). Bobby's obsession with money at the beginning of the episode seemed to come out of nowhere, but the characterization was really good outside of that. All the secondary characters reacting to Hank's "fortune" had funny results as well.

Overall, a strongly-paced, funny episode with a good story. 4 or 4.5/5

Guy who loses arguments. newhook_1's Avatar

First KOTH I've watch in awhile and surpriseingly I give it 4/5. The problems that I've had with the last few seasons of KOTH arn't as promenent here, like Hank being protrayed as the bad guy when he's not doing anything wrong, and Peggy's annoying personality.

5/5

Why is KOTH so great? Every episode seems to have an excellent, relatable plot, and I often find myself telling the characters what to do next (ie "Hank, kick his ass" or "tell Bobby to shut the hell up"). I don't know, I guess I'm weird. But yeah this episode was great.

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

Perfect episode, funny all the way through with a nice plot line that didn't feel similar to anything they've done before.

Is it just me though, or is Bobby's voice starting to sound a bit grating lately? Sort of what usually happens when a female voice actor starts to get older...

The Spring in Springfield

Originally posted by Rowdy
    Perfect episode, funny all the way through with a nice plot line that didn't feel similar to anything they've done before.

Is it just me though, or is Bobby's voice starting to sound a bit grating lately? Sort of what usually happens when a female voice actor starts to get older...
    I noticed that. Sort of how Bart sounds like a girl on the Simpsons now.

Anyway, this was such a great episode. King of the Hill is so much better than recent Simpsons in my opinion.

Terrific episode. Bobby's fantasy of what their house/life would be like if Hank spent his fortune is one of my new all-time favorite KoTH moments. There were so many great lines in this episode, as well. "He's got all that money just sitting around. What's he spending it on? Our house? That thing costs a million, maybe two million, tops." Great characterization of Hank and Bobby's characters throughout. 5/5. A+

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

KOTH seems to be suffering from too many "idiot plots" of late (where the problem behind the plot could have been solved in five minutes if the characters weren't complete idiots or didn't behave in bizarre ways). The entire neighborhood thought hank was a millionaire purely based on one huge assumption Connie (who's supposed to be intelligent) made? And then, the whole thing would have fallen to pieces had Hank, at any of the many times someone made a reference to his supposed fortune, actually said "I don't have that sort of money". But he didn't, for some reason.

Nevertheless, it was a very well-written, funny, and relatable episode, even if the characters had the tendency to get scarily close to self-parody every so often.

This was the last of the season seven leftovers, and while it is a very solid effort, it sums up the major problem I had with the seventh season: the overexposure of Bobby. I remember Greg Daniels announced before the start of season 7 that it would be a "back to basics" season focusing on Hank and Bobby but the apparent result of that was way too many episodes about Bobby acting infantile, stupid, or otherwise not right. Combined with the neglect of Luanne (I won't go into that again, though) and the over-exposure of Dale (there were way too many Dale stories in seasons 6 and 7 considering what a one-dimensional character he is), it made for a somewhat monochromatic season 7 even though most of the individual episodes were IMO good. Season 8 is looking better from what I've seen of it, though.

The episode itself, despite what amounts to Jerkass Bobby, was solid and funny -- Etan Cohen, perhaps because he used to write for Beavis & Butt-head, is a more fanciful writer than some of the other KotH writers and often finds opportunities for fantasy sequences (Bobby as a panda in "Vision Quest," or his wealth fantasy tonight). The John Redcorn stuff was the highlight. But some of the episode was too close to the early episode "Life in the Fast Lane" (written by the current showrunners), where Hank tries to teach Bobby the value of a dollar, with Disastrous Results. (They even recycled the "[star X] makes 20 million dollars a picture" line.)
    Last edited by arlen_texas; 01-06-2004 at 07:27 AM.

I thought this would have been a 5/5 episode had the ending not been preachy and predictable, which is something a few King of the Hill episodes have suffered from in the past. The entire lake sequence was really bland and obvious. But the first two acts were really nice, funny and relatable. 4/5
    Signature.

I didn't see the ending coming until Hank was asked if the jet ski "went any faster." I expected Hank to come to some sort of sudden realization on their trip to sell the jet ski .. but I didn't see them keeping it. It was extremely preachy, though.

Mohammed Jafar also makes some valid points about the whole town believing Hank was rich ("idiot plot" is a good phrase). I could see Bill and crew believing it (reminiscent of Buckley's angel). Connie is suppose to be above this sort of nonsense. She did seem reluctant to agree (stating how her family had nicer things, etc.) until she thought of Howard Hughes, though.

Still, an excellent episode. I think I enjoyed it more than most. I missed out on some of Season 7, so this could by why the 'jerkass Bobby' and these other recurring problems I read of do not seem as overused to me.

5/5 I loved it! ONe of the best episodes ever

All of The General's signatures are hosted by ImageShack

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

Originally posted by Cole
    I didn't see the ending coming until Hank was asked if the jet ski "went any faster." I expected Hank to come to some sort of sudden realization on their trip to sell the jet ski .. but I didn't see them keeping it. It was extremely preachy, though.
    I thought the dialogue saved it, really. Hank's perfectly in-character rationalization of it, justifying it based on the fact that the depreciation would be the same after a day as after a year, really cut through the potential sap that would come with just a straight "you have to treat yourself sometimes" ending.

Originally posted by Cole
    I could see Bill and crew believing it (reminiscent of Buckley's angel).
    Ehhh...OK, they're dumb, but the problem is, I don't think they would all suddenly believe that their best friend who they've known for years is rich purely based on Connie's unfounded assumption. Surely they would come to the conclusion that if Hank were a millionaire they would have noticed at some time in the past. They're not THAT dumb (well maybe Bill, but not Dale and definitely not Boomhauer).

The fact that Hank never said "I don't have that kind of money" or at least realised that something was going on was more irritating, however.

frogophone

Yeah, the cliched "farce that the main character blunders around oblivious too" was in full effect. But that wasn't key in the plot progression or anything, and it was believable that Bobby was so naive about money to think his dad was rich. But very funny and well-written, quite enjoyable. And not necessarily "messagey" at the end, it was just nice to see Hank indulge ever so slightly, but still only with rationalizing it, like Jafar pointed out.

"We've taught him to be uncomfortable about anything that personal."

Stonecutter

This was the first KOTH this season, besides the premiere, that I watched in it's entirety, and I loved it. It reminded me a lot of stuff from the early seasons, and it was just very enjoyable to watch. 5/5

I forgot to mention that one scene I especially liked was the scene showing John Redcorn as a gigolo for a rich old lady... it was funny and it was a nice reminder of the fact that John Redcorn is, basically, a gigolo (sometimes the show makes him a bit too noble). John Redcorn is a great example of how the show's willingness to "shake things up" can pay off; he's been a much more interesting and funny character ever since he and Nancy broke up (Nancy, too, has become a much more interesting character than anyone could have expected from the pilot).

Thread Information