• 2/5 Moldy.

2 10.53%
  • 1/5 Get out of the house!

2 10.53%

Thread: Rate/Review King of the Hill's "After the Mold Rush"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Pin Pal

Rate/Review King of the Hill's "After the Mold Rush"

King of the Hill often has one-time characters who are real jerks, and they pull them off well. Overall, this was a good episode with a nice conflict. It did have a few slow spots though. 4/5

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

Your review pretty much sums up my opinions......unless they do a really bizarre plot, a KOTH episode is automatically going to be a 3/5 at least....this one seemed like it had a bit more so it deserved a 4/5, but it could have really used some more laughs.

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

I agree with the one time jerk bit, its kinda their teademark. I have missed a lot of KOTH eps lately, but I will get back in the swing of things and watch them now.

It was kind of dull until Chris Elliott showed up, but very funny afterwards. Elliott was great, and his conflict with Hank made the show. Kind of like an Andy Griffith Show type plot where the guest jerk thinks he's going to pull a fast one on the small-town rubes, and in the end the jerk gets his comeuppance (tm).

As in a lot of season 7 episodes (this is a season 7 leftover), Bobby was too infantile -- he's 13 now, they should give up the jokes about dolls and magician hats.

Also, seeing the Hills at the motel reminded me of how much better I liked the family unit before they moved Luanne out... more variety in terms of the way the characters interacted, I guess. If they eventually move her back in as rumored, I guess I'd agree with that now.

3/5

It was okay. Nothing special.

Originally posted by arlen_texas
    Kind of like an Andy Griffith Show type plot where the guest jerk thinks he's going to pull a fast one on the small-town rubes, and in the end the jerk gets his comeuppance (tm).
    That's a pretty good assessment. I'd never considered the comparison before, but it is very similar. I also agree about the trolls being too infantile for Bobby. Plus, I've grown tired of the jokes where Hank gets angry at Bobby for playing with something effeminate. If they're going do such a joke, they need to use something more clever than trolls. The conflict between Hank and the mold expert made this show. I saw the fraud thing coming a mile away (I'm sure everyone did) .. I realize this was probably the point, but I would have liked to see a more creative twist. Anyway, this episode had some great moments. Hank doing all the work for the men he hired (electricians or something .. I wasn't paying much attention at that time), Dale wearing his protective mask/helmet, etc. A good episode all in all. 4/5

mostly harmless

Originally posted by Icedragon
    I agree with the one time jerk bit, its kinda their teademark. I have missed a lot of KOTH eps lately, but I will get back in the swing of things and watch them now.
    Pretty much the situation I'm in. But I managed to see this episode, and I liked it. 4/5

Junior Camper

Talk about a bizarre coincidence; about 2 weeks before I saw this ep, my brother and I were visiting our parents downstate for Thanksgiving, and he was complaining about allergies to the mold in the house, and that, due to some leaks, the house might be falling apart. The people my parents called to repair the leak didn't try to con them, though - they patched up the ceiling rather nicely.
    Oh, and just for the record, I give "After The Mold Rush" a 4/5.

I also agree about the trolls being too infantile for Bobby. Plus, I've grown tired of the jokes where Hank gets angry at Bobby for playing with something effeminate.
    And the weird thing is that if you look at the first season, they weren't usually doing that kind of joke -- instead, Bobby tended to piss Hank off with his worship of disreputable pop-culture figures like "The Funny Phone Jerks" and "Celery Head." Bobby did play with dolls in one early episode, and there was that episode with the plastic head (but he was just practicing so he could kiss real girls), but mostly he was not effeminate, just geeky. He's actually regressed over the years.

That said, in "Reborn to be Wild" (an episode actually produced for the eighth season) Bobby was acting more like a plausible teenager, so there might be hope for him yet. The KotH writers do a better job than most of identifying and working on their show's problems -- I'm told that two problems the writers were trying to fix going into season eight were "crazy Peggy" and their recent neglect of Luanne -- so maybe they know that Bobby needs to grow up a bit. Or maybe not. The Christmas show is another Hank/Bobby episode, so we'll see what happens there.

enfranchised and entrenched Spartan's Avatar

Cole and Arlen_Texas make an excellent point about Bobby (an eighth-grader, no?) playing with all this non-masculine objects and Hank getting mad at him. It's getting old for Bobby. Anyways, the episode was solid all around and the ending wasn't bad. Downside was that (for any episode I don't like) for me, Hank's crew was barely seen. I just think they should be used in most every episode, and that's just my shade of it. Still a great episode.

TheSpartan's official Rating: 7.7/10

Get your weapons ready! Icedragon's Avatar

The Bobby thing is getting old, but I also see it as a full circle. Cotten Hill was dissapointed at Hank when he was a kid, and now Bobby dissapoints Hank.

Bring back Luanne

Pin Pal

As for Bobby, yes it is getting a bit tired. He's always been a bit "weird" for his age ("That boy ain't right..."), and that's partly what made him stand out from other boys on TV, but they're taking it a little too far now. I did like the "Troll action figures" line, though Dale pointing out that they were called dolls was unneeded and better off implied.

Moldy.

Worst of the season so far for sure. Something about it just really left a lot to be desired. First of all, it seemed done before in a few ways. Hank's house or property being destroyed has been done in "Arrowhead" and "King of the Ant Hill". He's been frustrated with others working inside his house in "Racist Dawg". He's been duped by businessmen or government types in "Beer and Loathing", and "Flush With Power". And last but not least, his house was declared uninhabitable last year in "Texas Silsaw Massacre", which was resolved by the family moving in with the Gribbles, an adequate idea that should have voided the whole motel part of this episode.

Ultimately, I found this episode just didn't really go anywhere interesting, and I can't remember any standout jokes. So, there's not much left I guess. Plus, I forgot it entirely by the time I was finished watching Simpsons (which dwarfed KOTH this week).

2/5
    Signature.

Originally posted by arlen_texas
    And the weird thing is that if you look at the first season, they weren't usually doing that kind of joke -- instead, Bobby tended to piss Hank off with his worship of disreputable pop-culture figures like "The Funny Phone Jerks" and "Celery Head." Bobby did play with dolls in one early episode, and there was that episode with the plastic head (but he was just practicing so he could kiss real girls), but mostly he was not effeminate, just geeky. He's actually regressed over the years.

That said, in "Reborn to be Wild" (an episode actually produced for the eighth season) Bobby was acting more like a plausible teenager, so there might be hope for him yet. The KotH writers do a better job than most of identifying and working on their show's problems -- I'm told that two problems the writers were trying to fix going into season eight were "crazy Peggy" and their recent neglect of Luanne -- so maybe they know that Bobby needs to grow up a bit. Or maybe not. The Christmas show is another Hank/Bobby episode, so we'll see what happens there.
    About this, I've been very able to tell the season 7 holdovers apart from the season 8 produced episodes (aside from the obvious animation change). Bobby continues from season 7 being more childish and weird than ever (see "The Son Also Roses", "Dances With Dogs", "Racist Dawg", "You Never Promised Me an Organic Garden", and a few others. I've noticed that when he doesn't take center stage in the story's plot, he gets even weirder. Also, last week's season 7 holdover episode showed Peggy was bitchy and full of herself, which she was the most in season 7. In the season 8 episodes, Bobby has been far more normal (see "Patch Boomhauer", "The Incredible Hank" and yesterday's rerun) and I haven't noticed any Peggy problems. Plus, yes, Luanne does seem to be appearing more.

I thought it was pretty good, it gets a 4/5

Thread Information