9 5.39%
  • 2/5 A few Redeeming Qualities

4 2.40%
  • 1/5 A Stinker

1 0.60%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R & R: Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Who can say no to the land of chocolate?
    5/5.

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut
    Solid A for me. Almost perfect, but its being nothing more than a really funny episode keeps it from A+ quality.
    The Land of Chocolate sequence didn't really do anything for me. It was funny, but it didn't really stand out. I love this episode for many more reasons than that, as I'm sure you do. But it is more than a really funny episode, in my opinion. It shows an often-seen side of Burns and Smithers' dynamic that is usually not as explored as it is in this one. Like the first poster said, it showed how Burns felt for Smithers more in depth than how Smithers felt for Burns.

I never saw it as Burns feeling for Smithers, so much as it was Burns realizing that he and his power plant cannot be separated. I absolutely adore the line 'What good is money if you can't inspire terror in your fellow man?', because that is one of Burns' most definitive lines in the series. However, I still don't think the episode delved as deep as it could have, and maybe it shouldn't have, but as it stands I just don't find that it has the edge that grants it an A+.

do the bartman!

meh i didn't like this episode's plot at all. and apart from the land of chocolate scene it was pretty borring. 2/5
    Season 6 rocks!

5/5

made me feel like I was in the land of chocolate

I never saw it as Burns feeling for Smithers, so much as it was Burns realizing that he and his power plant cannot be separated.
    Well, I didn't mean that it was Burns' feelings for Smithers that impelled him to get the plant back. I meant that this episode just had a lot of great moments of their friendship.

^Yeah, what really struck me as surprising though oh so obvious was that Burns has the means to go where he pleases, whereas Smithers is still bound to the Power Plant. Until this episode I was never able to conceive of the idea that the two could ever be separate from one another. That Smithers still has some little moments of friendship that exist after Burns' departure. It is a great episode, but it simply doesn't fit into my criteria for what makes something truly worthy of perfection.

Maybe it's time to live.... Cerpin Taxt's Avatar

3/5, just because it doesn't stick out in my head in what I believe to be the quintessential "Simpsons" season and the most underrated of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    I refuse to vote on the basis that apparently Nickelodeons viewers have the worst taste in films ever.

^Yeah, what really struck me as surprising though oh so obvious was that Burns has the means to go where he pleases, whereas Smithers is still bound to the Power Plant. Until this episode I was never able to conceive of the idea that the two could ever be separate from one another.
    Yeah, I was confused about that too. It seemed odd...Smithers' job technically is the second-highest-level executive at the plant but his job is also as Burns' personal aide (inside and outside the plant). I suppose they hadn't developed just how far Burns' dependence on Smithers went until later.

I didn't mean to imply that it confused me, rather I was giving my compliments to the show that such a strong attachment had been developed between Burns and Smithers by that point that such a separation seemed inconceivable to me. I rather enjoy seeing Mr. Burns written as independent, and it's done in such a way that his overall character seems indistinguishable between his portrayal in 'Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk' and that in, say, 'Homer the Smithers', which showed Burns as being unable to function without having Smithers gravitate around him every second of the day.

I didn't mean to imply that it confused me, rather I was giving my compliments to the show that such a strong attachment had been developed between Burns and Smithers by that point that such a separation seemed inconceivable to me. I rather enjoy seeing Mr. Burns written as independent, and it's done in such a way that his overall character seems indistinguishable between his portrayal in 'Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk' and that in, say, 'Homer the Smithers', which showed Burns as being unable to function without having Smithers gravitate around him every second of the day.
    How was it indistinguishable? I thought it seemed rather obvious that the continuity was lacking.

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

5/5

It's a classic allright.

Quote Originally Posted by e120
    How was it indistinguishable? I thought it seemed rather obvious that the continuity was lacking.
    Sure, Mr. Burns is portrayed differently in each, but I still get the same overall vibe of fragile yet evil corporate figurehead from each episode, and I can see the characterization in each episode applicable to the other. I don't see it so much as lacking continuity so much as trying a different take on an already established character.

Sure, Mr. Burns is portrayed differently in each, but I still get the same overall vibe of fragile yet evil corporate figurehead from each episode, and I can see the characterization in each episode applicable to the other. I don't see it so much as lacking continuity so much as trying a different take on an already established character.
    I suppose, but I do see quite a different in season 3 Burns to season 7 Burns. I wish they would have kept him as season 2-3 Burns. In my opinion, that was when he was at his best.

Classic, total classic.

[now if only I could say that in German...]

This sentence is a lie. Elkwood's Avatar

A+

The Land of Chocolate would've been funnier if it was The Land of Beer.
    Critics are raving over Maggie's Toilet Training!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Maggie's toilet training is the smash hit fan-fic of the season! Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by James L. Brookes View Post
    iMuy Excellente! This has really been capturing the feel of classic Simpsons wackyness!

Very good episode. It's has a strong plot and it manages to be hilarious as well. I really like Mr. Burns characterization in this episode, I felt it was very strong. The "What good is money if you can't inspire terror in your fellow man" is a definitive line for him, because in essence, Mr. Burns really is something of a tyrant. He's often self-centered and malicious, but I also like how the power plant is shown as something of an attachment to him, putting him in the vulnerable position.

I also like the joviality to Smithers and Burns's relationship in this episode. I didn't get the sense that they really NEED each other, per se. In someways, it does get tiring when Smithers is always portrayed as his caretaker. But what I did get out of this episode, is the nice, assistant-boss friendship that we don't see very often (since Burns's treatment of Smithers can vary).

5/5
    "Alright, alright, if it will make you happy, I'll overthrow society."

I love this episode. One of my favorite moments in the whole series is where Burns' "sword of Damocles" stab is quickly followed with Homer's "woo-hoo!" about getting his job back... terrific ending.

I disagree about anybody saying it's boring. I always thought that, but every time I watch it, I refuse to change the episode I'm watching. It's got some good jokes, characterisations, scenes and moments to keep you entertained.

A.

Bud Light Suck One pizzaanddibs's Avatar

Awesome episode just saw it a couple days ago I gave it a B+.

Thrillhouse, indeed. SpikyHairedHooligan's Avatar

one of my top five favorite episodes probably. maybe the best burns characterization in the entire series, and i love the friendship explored between burns and smithers. here they are at their best dynamic! A+
    Bart: Lis, I don't get it...Why does Milhouse's happiness make me sad?
    Lisa: Bart, you're worried you're losing Milhouse, and love is a selfish thing!
    Bart: Shut up! I don't love Milhouse!
    Lisa: Oh, really? The more you deny it, the more I know it's true!
    Bart: Oh, yeah? Well, whenever you're mean, I'm a trampoline. So everything you said goes back and hits your ugly head.
    Lisa: God, that was lame. Where did you get that?
    Bart: From Milhouse! Oh, I love him so much!

--"Little Orphan Millie"

It's really a great episode. It is one of my favorite ones.
    One of my favorite scenes is when Burns negotiates with the Germans or
    when Smithers tries to learn german or when Homer dreams to be in the Land of Chocolate.
    So many great gags 5/5

Banned

It has it's moments, but I never really found it all that exciting, and I think the animation is pretty weak.

A-

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut View Post
    The only reason a lot of people like this episode is because it's hilarious and well-plotted, with 'The Land of Chocolate' being an added bonus. Read Channel Surfer's post to understand that there's more to the episode that people like.

Solid A for me. Almost perfect, but its being nothing more than a really funny episode keeps it from A+ quality.
    Anti-German stuff is always crowd-pleasant, but TFD is right, it was funny and solid.

The Land of Chocolate. Gotta love this episode. Kinda a bit zany but still good. 4/5

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of my favorite episodes in the whole series, never fails to get a laugh out of me

5/5

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

5/5 easily
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

another great vitti episode. 5/5

Blog Entries

5/5, those Germans were funny

Hahahah I love the Land of Chocolate.

Season 3 is the best!

Lisa is our QUEEN!

Thread Information