View Poll Results: What Do You Think Of 8f16?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

80 72.07%
  • 4/5

22 19.82%
  • 3/5

9 8.11%
  • 2/5

0 0%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R/R: Bart The Lover

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Irish Simpsons Obsessive

Probably one of the Edna's main roles in the series thus as far as it really brought out her character for future seasons because we learned a lot about her in the episode. Bart's facial expression is great when he receives the photograph of her.
    4/5

Love this episode.Such a great characterization (for both Edna and Bart-I wish to see them as friends more ofthen) and great jokes.This is the first episode that make me a true Edna fan.I felt teribble for her,at first I din't like how Bart wants to foolish her,but the ending was great and emotional.My only question is:Will Edna found out who was the real ''Woodrow''?
    A+

This is your teacher!?I should start going to Parents' Night.

Up,down,up,down,up,down...

I loved this episode. Was very interested and entertained the entire time. Really found it to be an original and definitely well written work.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Haruka View Post
    I felt teribble for her,
    Yeah... me too, especially in the restaurant scene. I believe this episode holds a truth... about how cruell kids could be.
    long days and pleasant nights to you

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a great episode, combining hilarity and some touching emotional moments with Edna realizing "Woodrow" isn't coming.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Blog Entries

5/5, i felt bad when Edna realized Woodrow wasn't coming for dinner... one of Edna's best episodes

Blog Entries

Homers reaction to when he steps on the nail and says "Fiddle-dee-dee, That will require a tetanus shot" always cracks me up.

5/5

Banned

Excellent episode. Interesting to see Edna's personal life and love situation. Was very entertaining when Bart wrote the letters and very funny when Homer didn't swear when in extreme pain, especially the foot through the nail one. Just slightly lacking to be a 10/10 but certainly a 5/5 and 9/10 episode. Typical of Season 3's tremendous standards.

Blog Entries

Underrated episode, but I'm still not a fan of it. 3.5/5
    Good moment in family at the end.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobulle View Post
    Underrated episode, but I'm still not a fan of it. 3.5/5
    Good moment in family at the end.
    Can you do a thread explaining why your top 5 episodes are your top 5 episodes mate? Cheers

Blog Entries

Yeah I have weird opinions.

Blog Entries

But ok, I'll make a complete review for each episodes of my top 10. (maybe 20)
    But not now sorry. :s

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobulle View Post
    But ok, I'll make a complete review for each episodes of my top 10. (maybe 20)
    But not now sorry. :s
    No rush mate. I think the site is letting the members do a top 25/50 Simpsons episodes list, like the recent bottom 25 episodes one, soon. I await your choices with interest but yeah will look forward for your explanations for the top 5!

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I don't like the yo-yo thing, but this is otherwise a great episode. I like the focus on Edna, and the subplot is hilarious (the main plot is pretty funny, too). 8/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

Very good episode. The subplot is hilarious. Grade: A-

Good Morning, Captain NoDeerForAMonth's Avatar

I re watched it a couple days ago ago and it was much better than I though. Season 3 is the season with the best sublplots and the one in bart the lover is the best one. The First act is amazing. The second act is a little too sad but homer's antics cheer you up and the third act is amazing

5/5

4/5

Good episode

Santa's Little Helper Bart The Lover's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The greatness of this episode is why I named it after me

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty bad episode on the Joke side of it, but one of the best episodes ever on the Emotional side of it, and some amazing Character Development.

5/5 one of the best.

Who the hell gives this episode ANYTHING below 4/5?
    YOU MONSTERS.

4.5/5

PS: I am gay

10/10. Once again another great episode on season 3. Very emotional episode that focuses on ms crabapples love lifer. Or lack of. The whole Bart behind the fictious Woodrow character toying with Edna was pure genius. The Gordie howe pic was a funny gag. The sub plot of homer swearing and the jar was also excellent.

5/5

Wow... I never really cared for this episode, I saw it as an average season 3 episode but rewatching it after a couple of years changed my opinion. It's now among my all-time favorites. I've been rewatching the show from the beginning and this is one of the funniest at this point. This isn't a joke-fest but they are all quality, laugh-out-loud moments. I especially loved Homer's reaction to the Maggie "surprise" in the dog house, I rarely laugh that much watching the show. The story is captivating, full of emotion and adds some depth to Edna, who was hardly a major character. And of course, several displays of genuine emotion. Outstanding episode, just perfect. 5/5

I really want to love this episode, but I feel like the emotional side of the episode doesn't land as well as it could've. The set up is great and really makes you sympathize with Edna, but I wish there was more time on Edna reacting to Bart's con. What we get works fine, but it doesn't hit as hard as I think it should. Maybe some of the stuff with the yo-yos could've been cut to make time.

The subplot, however, is great. The jokes are consistent, they balance out the main plot well, and we get the iconic line: "I said I don't want any damn vegetables." What else could you ask for? 8/10
    "

This episode is a great one for sure and certainly one of my favorites of the season. It has a strong, interesting, fun and in parts dramatic main plot with Bart pulling a pretty cruel extended prank on Edna Krabappel while he's on detention (a story that really delves deeper into the life of Edna & also has some pretty strong stuff with Bart as the lead who pulls the events along) & there's an hilarious (if completely unrelated) subplot, about Homer building a dog house for Santa's Little Helper but not having much luck and ending up cursing a lot, inspiring Todd Flanders to swear too and & Marge having him utilize a Swear Jar. it is not an episode that is usually picked out as a well-beloved top of all time episode but I feel that it is an excellent little episode that is one of the better outings of the third season & includes two solid plotlines, some excellent humor, drama and emotion. In my opinion it's a classic.

The opening scene with the bored class watching the old informational video about Zinc was a great one (the video was hilarious & the kids rushing out as soon as the bell rings, leaving an lonely Edna behind and her trying to get attention by even offering to do their homework was sad). I really liked how they at once presented Edna's problem of being such a lonely woman and getting to see her driving home in the rain, going to get some stuff from the Kwik-E-Mart & to fill up the car's gas tank (which had a nice joke about her husband having poured sugar in the tank; hilariously sad); also we got to see her apartment for the first (and I think only) time, also learning she has a cat and is desperate for a man, ending up calling a dating service. The yo-yo team assembly in the school auditorium was pretty amusing scene, some good stuff with Todd being hit in his eyeball with a paper plane, the various yo-yo tricks, & Skinner being dragged into it (and the manager pushing the team around and boxing them up in the small van to drive off to the next school was kinda funny too).

Then the next day yo-yos are the big school craze and everyone has at least one, including Bart who turns out to be a professional (and impressing Homer who is questioned by Marge about if there's anyone who got famous doing yo-yo tricks in an pretty funny scene). The yo-yo stuff does feel a little off-topic but I think it is a great lead-in to the main story, with Bart ending up destroying the fish tank in the back of the classroom with his yo-yo after Edna has announced she is sick of yo-yos & getting one month detention, which leads to him finding the dating service ad, formulating an complex prank by piecing together an fake man named Woodrow (inspired by a picture of former president Woodrow Wilson) and starts a pen pal relationship with her under said name. Something I've always liked is the friendship/relationship of Bart & Edna and they get some great scenes together (mainly the part where Bart suggests she should hook up with maybe Skinner, Willie or another teacher, and her stating that Bart is the closest thing to a man in her life, which almost makes her cry).

The plot gave some good and enjoyable back and forths between Bart/Woodrow and Edna with the letters (and even at one time sends an risque photo of herself, giving Bart the idea to go to a copy machine, and also send her a photo of NHL player Gordie Howe); Bart's prank is mean but I can easily buy him doing so to get revenge for her taking his yo-yo and I loved the scenes of him asking for love letter advice from Lisa (whom is wholly unhelpful and just teases him for apparently being in love like a true annoying younger sibling) & Marge, who shows her a postcard Homer sent her from a brewery (an hilarious part with his poor writing and the voiceover); also I like Bart actually getting a use of a line from the letter ("yours is a butt that won't quit") when writing to Edna. Then comes the finale with "Woodrow" inviting Edna for a meeting at the Gilded Truffle restaurant and Bart sees her there and goes to watch a comedy movie, coming back and seeing her alone and crushingly sad and sobbing, feeling really bad for what he did; such a great portrayal of Bart here.

Bart being stumped over what to do and going to his family to admit what he did and getting help was a real nice moment & I really liked them cooperating over a way to solve the issue and help cheer Edna up, going from throwing ideas around to writing a farewell letter from Woodrow to Edna, where all of them pitches in. Homer was very funny here, with him insisting they write "Three simple words: I am gay" but I also like Bart suggestion of writing that an crocodile bit off Woodrow's face (which Marge finds a disgusting idea but then quickly switches gears and says that it shouldn't matter to a woman) as well as Homer's "Dear Baby, welcome to Dumpville. Population: You" and giving the idea for a great romantic quote); great scene overall with the family as a team for a common goal (instead of Bart being forced to get out of the trouble on his own). Bart deposits the latter before making himself scarce and Edna reads it, accepting that Woodrow is leaving & the next day deciding to spend Bart's last day of detention outside with him as company (the episode adding in a photo of Gordie and his hockey stats, which was pretty funny).

Then there's the abeformentioned funny subplot. It's a simple but hilarious tale of Homer being bad at building a doghouse and cursing up a storm, which inspires Todd Flanders. There's some great bits with Ned, calling and interrupting Lovejoy of how to solve the cursing (making Lovejoy miss his dessert pie, which melted in seconds) & going through various things that Todd could have gotten the swearing from and then confronting Homer about the foul language (and making a bet that if Homer stops swearing he'll shave off his moustache). This starts the funny Swear Jar stuff, with Marge giving Homer the suggestion and there's a fun montage of Homer cursing and putting more and more coins in the glass jar (good stuff with the cuts away from the cursing to the jar; my favorite was Homer realizing he forgot to make an opening for the dog on the doghouse). Funny end with him having learned to stop swearing (even when stepping on a nail: "Fiddle-dee-dee. That will require a tetanus shot") but still kicking the doghouse down in anger (before Marge and Lisa reveals they bought a dog house for the money in the jar, which was a perfect way to end it, plus there's maggie and a six-pack of beer for Homer).

So all in all, it is a great episode as said, having an excellent plot featuring Bart and developing Edna as an likeable and interesting character (along with some great jokes and emotional moments) as well as an super funny subplot to go along with it (adding even more good stuff to the overall episode). Pretty much everything works here for me to some degree and other than maybe a few forgettable nitpicks there's not anything I can honestly complain about. Just an episode that shows off the strengths of the third season, which at times comes off as a little underrated. Thumbs up to this one.

This is an 5/5 for me.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information