View Poll Results: Rate/Review Futurama 4ACV06 "Bender Should Not Be Allowed On TV"

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Bender SHOULD be allowed on TV.

9 22.50%
  • 4/5: Good, but not great.

15 37.50%
  • 3/5: Average.

11 27.50%
  • 2/5: Bad.

5 12.50%
  • 1/5: Worst episode ever... nearly.

0 0%
  • 0/5: Holy crap, Bender should NOT be allowed on TV! Neither should Futurama!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Paul

Rate/Review Futurama 4ACV06 "Bender Should Not Be Allowed On TV"

I'm surprised nobody has created this poll yet! I'm not very good at thinking up witty options, so I'll just go with the basics.

~~~

It was such a huge improvement on the previous for episodes. Ok, so Cubert and Dwight were as annoying as ever, but the episode was very good itself. The ending credits were great, and the F.A.R.T jokes were pretty funny as well (dammit, I sound immature when I say that.) Fry - what can I say? It felt like it was the first season again. He was great. A definite 5/5 from me for this episode. I just hope The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings can match up to these standards. Thank you, and goodnight.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Bend Her was on Sky tonight.

Paul

Originally posted by George Cauldron
    Bend Her was on Sky tonight.
    True. But this is on in America tonight and I downloaded it. I'm so impatient...

Oooh.....you even saw it before the Americans. But will the episode that actually airs on television be any different to the one you downloaded, in regard to content? More dialogue may be added, or most likely, parts of the episode will be trimmed due to time.

Paul

Originally posted by George Cauldron
    Oooh.....you even saw it before the Americans. But will the episode that actually airs on television be any different to the one you downloaded, in regard to content? More dialogue may be added, or most likely, parts of the episode will be trimmed due to time.
    No, I don't think so. Other episodes I've downloaded have always been the same as the ones I watched on TV afterwards, as far as I can see. Oh, except for the ocassional "bastard" that has been cut out.

But this one hasn't aired on American television yet, so it may not be exactly the same one that airs on FOX, and consequently on any other channel that purchases Futurama episodes, and also on the DVD.

Blog Entries

FOX transmits the episodes via satellite to it's affiliates (sp?) a day before the airdate, so they can air them on time. Some people can receive these transmissions aswell and capture them for internet downloads, so it's just the same episode.

The episode itself I found good, but not great. Some brilliant moments with the Everybody Loves Raymond 'parody', and the tv executives were hilarious, but some parts were definetaly lame and at times felt a bit forced. But I'd say its definetaly an improvement over the last few weeks (although I hated Obsoletely Fabulous, which seems to be doing good among others).

Editing: After rewatching it, I'm actually upgrading the grade to a 8.5/10
    Last edited by Matty; 08-03-2003 at 03:18 PM.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Did we really need to see these small characters in such huge roles? This was easily one of the worst episodes ever. Almost all of the jokes fell flat, the pacing was way too irregular, the meta-refs and character direction were cheap and lame, and the commentary on television was unnecessary (wasn't that already covered in "When Aliens Attack"?). And let's not forget the awful title.

I think this is the perfect example of "good idea, bad execution". 5/10

frogophone

A really good episode. Wish I'd have taped it. Satire on media influence on kids (and what's cool), the place of tv in the family, great jokes, and I can't get enough of them giving the finger to tv bigwigs. It seemed... loud (of course, that's natch with a bender centered episode) but still ambiguous, with some mock preachy cynicism. Still, there were some irks, such as Bender's rather sudden desire to rid the airwaves of himself (a real stretch with his egocentric 'who gives a rat's ass' personality), and like I said, the commentary (even if ambiguous) was conveyed in a very noisy fashion which grates.

Pin Pal

As usual, I'll be posting the same review on both NHC and PEEL. Here it is!

Everybody Loves Hypno-Toad!
    This was a good episode with lots of laughs, some decent satire, and good pacing. Unlike last week's episode, we didn't just get a lot of Bender, but a lot of the entire PE Crew. The only thing that I really didn't like was the vomiting, which was kinda gross and unneeded.

Some funny parts off the top of my head: The remixed opening with Farnsworth, Bender and Zoidberg..."Hey Bender." (four times)...everything involving the Hypno-Toad...the Cool-o-Meter segment (Zoidberg's cool level, the "OH YEAAAAH" and the 30 Mega-Fonz line)...the Fathers Against R (I forget) Television...the line "Bender should not be allowed on television!" Bender's final speech...the clip of Calculon after Bender's final speech...Fry's comment about the Hypno-Toad show declining after Season 3...and of course, "More reality shows!"

There were a couple dry spells here and there, but this is the best episode of Futurama in the past few weeks. 4/5 or 4.5/5

So guys...we got one episode left! ONE EPISODE!!

...Hold me.

frogophone

Going back to the noisiness... I'm conflicted. While my favorite forms of satire is the quiet smirking of the OFF episode like Three Eyes On Every Fish, the device here was in-your-face, but I don't think the commentary was. Bender's speech with the guns and cigar at the end comes to mind.

I also liked the net nerd jab "this show's been going downhill since season three."

i think it was a pretty bad episode 2/5
    King of the Hill
    Beavis and Butthead
    The Artist Formally Known As Michael Bolton

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado
    Record List
    Best Simpsons Episode Ever = Lemon of Troy

Blog Entries

Those bastards cut out the Hermes marijuana joke :angry:

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

Tedious with very few memorable jokes (the Coolometer or whatever was one of only two or three moments that I laughed aloud).....not as bad as a Simpsons or Family Guy 1/5.......so I'll give it a 2 just to be nice..........looking back on this rather dull season, perhaps Bender shouldn't be allowed on t.v. anymore....

Jamie, do you have some info we don't?

And Paul, was there something special in the credits, or were you just talking about the Hypno Toad during the "Matt Groening and David Cohen" part right before them? See, they split the credits over here...

Anyways, very good episode. I found the satire to be a little too in your face and lacking in subtlety compared to, say, "Itchy and Scratchy and Marge", but that's to be expected(plus, as Tibor hinted at, some seemed sarcastic anyways), and it was still very good in that regard. The meta humor was clever and usually hilarious, and the episode as a whole was very funny, especcially anything with the Hypno Toad and Fry's line "this show's been going downhill since season three". For now I'd say A-/B+, but it seems like one I may need to see again in order to dissect some of the commentary I may have missed.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Originally posted by Jamie
    Those bastards cut out the Hermes marijuana joke :angry:
    ???

That scene was intact on the Boston feed.

First off, I have to say I did miss part of the episode due to a weather warning alert, so I haven't seen in full. The chunk I missed was around the point Bender decides to get himself off the air and the point the executive held a gun to him. But I think I've seen enough to review it.

Anyway, this episode was half "Itchy and Scratchy and Marge" (the satire on media content and its relation to the viewer) and half "The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" (self-mockery of the television, its executives, and its fans), but it was still very fresh and inventive. Rather then taking the more broad route of "Itchy and Scratchy and Marge" and discussing the ambiguity of art in of itself, this episode specifically targeted who's responsibility it was to protect kids from negative influences in the media. From the episode's scope of paralleling the kids behavior to Bender's antics on the show to smaller moments like the disclaimer when Bender lit himself on fire, the "Futurama" warning that it doesn't suggest stealing is cool, and of course Bender's speech at the end where he tells people to "just shut the TV off". And all of it was all hilariously done. Plus it was sprinkled with some nice meta humor like Bender's behavior on screen resembling his own behavior off screen (even if it lacks relevance due to him never becoming quite that controversial/famous in our world), and the season 3 decline line by Fry. And most of the humor unrelated to the satire (the Hypno Toad, the "Mommy Dearest" allusion, Bender ruining everyone else's auditions) still cracked me up.

It wasn't perfect. Granted, I didn't see all of the third act, but something tells me there was a better way to end the episode then the executive and Farnsworth holding guns to Bender in such a wacky way (even if there was some self-mockery). Bender's reasoning for ending the show was still a bit of a stretch (though not necessarily out of character either). And there were a few failed gags (the vomiting sticks out). But it didn't contract from what is definitely among the best episodes of the season.

Grade: B+/A-
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 08-03-2003 at 09:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Another time when vacation hurts. Thankfully, I saw the episode (HOORAY!), unfortunely, I only have 90 minutes of time (at midnight, once a day) on the internet because my cousin is addicted to some weird online game that he must play 24/7. (he gives me the finger every time I get to get on)...

...anyways, I give this episode a 5/5. It was an hilarious satire which felt like a season 2 episode, like "Bend Her". Sorry for the short review, I, uh, only have 80 minutes left...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Paul

Originally posted by DotheBartman
    And Paul, was there something special in the credits, or were you just talking about the Hypno Toad during the "Matt Groening and David Cohen" part right before them? See, they split the credits over here...
    Yeah, it had a view of the Everybody Loves Hypno Toad show, and everybody was singing a song about how they've got nothing better to do than watch TV. The song can be found on http://www.gotfuturama.com

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

Originally posted by Channel Surfer

Anyway, this episode was half "Itchy and Scratchy and Marge" (the satire on media content and its relation to the viewer) and half "The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" (self-mockery of the television, its executives, and its fans), but it was still very fresh and inventive.
    How? Satirical looks on television on TV shows is nothing new. Not to mention the fact that that topic is old and tired. This episode told us nothing new, and it was so blatantly obvious. It was in no way subtle and in no way funny, or clever.

Originally posted by ShadowBun
    Fathers Against R (I forget) Television
    Fathers Against Rauchy Television

Monkey HOUSE

I only caught the second half of the episode but I liked what I saw.
    Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These fucking amateurs... Walter

Finally! Very good episode! It's a great improvement over the past three episodes.
    The opening theme isn't as good as "Spanish Fry"'s, but it's funny too. The ending theme is really great.

4/5
    Everybody loves Hypno-Toad.

And... just one to go, guys
    Last edited by Robertuybrush; 08-04-2003 at 08:28 AM.

Drinking on jet streams PhthaloType's Avatar

Wasn't it "Fathers Against Rude Television"?

4/5

Just kidding, ECHELON.

Paul

Originally posted by PhthaloType
    Wasn't it "Fathers Against Rude Television"?
    It is. In the CGEF quiz, I answered every question correctly and that was one of them.

Don't blame me, I haven't seen the episode, (yet), and that's what it was called in the detailed snyopsis.

...Wait, no one was blaming me.

frogophone

Originally posted by ComixFan
    How? Satirical looks on television on TV shows is nothing new. Not to mention the fact that that topic is old and tired. This episode told us nothing new, and it was so blatantly obvious. It was in no way subtle and in no way funny, or clever.
    Yes, and political satire is nothing new, but Mr. Spritz, Sideshow Bob Roberts, etc etc etc are great because of how they present it, and different angles on an old topic.

I thought the presentation of the commentary was fresh. I haven't seen another show with this take presented in this way.

As for subtlety, I agree that the presentation was over-the-top at times, but not in-your-face as a glib, straightforward message.
    Last edited by Tibor; 08-04-2003 at 12:33 PM.

Originally posted by ComixFan
    I know it's nothing new. Hence my comment "half 'Itchy and Scratchy and Marge' and half 'The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show'". Most topics aren't new in of themselves, as Tibor has already said, and I've already explained how it was fresh and inventive in my review (and it's been explained in other reviews as well). A topic is only old and tired either when it lacks relevance and has no ground left to explore, which this is neither. And being obvious isn't bad so long as it's not preachy, which this episode wasn't anyway.

Finally saw it, was out of town... I really can't give a review because of the time and my brain not working right now. But what I can say is: For surely better than the last two new episodes we've gotten. I enjoyed it a whole lot. 9/10. I might give a more in-depth review later.

1 more episode ...

The penultimate episode (airdate-wise, anyway). This isn't brilliant, but attempts some (sometimes good) satire on the television industry and broadcasting networks, and never takes itself seriously. Unfortunately, the episode seems to lack something, possibly in the direction. I did like Bender's final speech though, which gave us the important message that rather than complain about how bad television is, just turn off your TV set.

Which is probably what I'll do since Futurama is nearly finished.

Thread Information