0 0%
  • 0/5- Crappier than "Less Than Hero"

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review Futurama 4ACV15 "The Farnsworth Parabox"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate/Review Futurama 4ACV15 "The Farnsworth Parabox"

Well, here you can rate and review the new episode tonight at 7 PM. A parallel episode, perhaps? Maybe...unfortunely, I won't be able to watch until nine, because I have to go to a party (thank god for timing VCRs and TiVos). Oh, well, I'll have my review up then, but for now, enjoy!...
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-08-2003 at 01:20 PM.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

Thanks for the reminder. Crossing my fingers that there'll be a KOTH that I missed this season (there were two) on tonight as well.

I loved it ! Now this type of sci-fi I enjoy ! Futurama is by far one of the most well written television shows in the history of TV. Simpsons watch out... oh wait Futurama was cancelled.... D'oh !

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

I just watched it and it was a 5/5 it was a great episode idea. i taped it so im happy. it was pretty damn funny.this is now my fav futurama episode. oh why did it get canceled?
    King of the Hill
    Beavis and Butthead
    The Artist Formally Known As Michael Bolton

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado
    Record List
    Best Simpsons Episode Ever = Lemon of Troy

spleef

Great, a true classic. The Zoidbergs were hilarious.

frogophone

I'm a sucker for novelty, and this had novelty out the wazoo. Unfortunately, novelty has a tendency to wear off. Through the first act, it seemed structurally deficient without a strong plot. However, a conflict was established in the second act and carried it throughout. Outside of the novel appeal, this didn't have any excellent moments with character which meant it had to go on the strength of the jokes and the creativity of the premise. The characters weren't violated or anything, and Bender's affinity for his parallel self was very amusing and true to his nature, but there weren't any new revelations/insights. All in all, probably a B/B+, a fun outing, but nothing incredibly memorable.
    Last edited by Tibor; 06-08-2003 at 03:39 PM.

Originally posted by Tibor
    I'm a sucker for novelty, and this had novelty out the wazoo. Unfortunately, novelty has a tendency to wear off. Through the first act, it seemed structurally deficient without a strong plot. However, a conflict was established in the second act and carried it throughout. Outside of the novel appeal, this didn't have any excellent moments with character which meant it had to go on the strength of the jokes and the creativity of the premise. The characters weren't violated or anything, and Bender's affinity for his parallel self was very amusing and true to his nature, but there weren't any new revelations/insights. All in all, probably a B/B+, a fun outing, but nothing incredibly memorable.
    Agreed. The first half was good, but it wore off by half 2 and I thought it just got too zany after that. And they didn't approach the parallel Fry and Leela thing well. It just seemed really underdeveloped, like it was trying to be important, but nothing really came from it. There were also a few out of character jokes that didn't work for me. Like since when does Hermes hate the professor so much?
    Signature.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

A pretty good episode. A nice twisty-turvy plot that was a good parody of science fiction in general. But it could have been funnier, and could have been more character-driven. But the third act made it all pay off. I loved seeing all the parallel universes. Hilarious! 3/5

Holy shit. This is one clever-ass show.

Give it a 5/5. Honestly.

(Beep)
    "according to the 9/11 commission report, beamer actually said the words "roll it," apparently referring to a food cart being used as a battering ram"

Originally posted by Tomacco
    Agreed. The first half was good, but it wore off by half 2 and I thought it just got too zany after that. And they didn't approach the parallel Fry and Leela thing well. It just seemed really underdeveloped, like it was trying to be important, but nothing really came from it. There were also a few out of character jokes that didn't work for me. Like since when does Hermes hate the professor so much?
    I don't think you are looking at the show from a sci-fi perspective. You seem to only rate these shows on comedy. I find every episode of Futurama to be simply amazing based on the sci-fi genre. I'm not sure how anyone can knit pick this stuff as much as you do. Enjoy it and be done with it. The episodes aren't made to be knit picked through piece by piece. I think you should change the way you review your episodes Tomacco. And don't be offended by this. It is just honest constructive criticism not a shot at you.

frogophone

Datoupee, I don't think you're qualified to criticize other peoples rating/reviewing.

And don't be offended by this.

Just rating it as a science fiction, the concept of alternate universes was simplistic and underdeveloped, used to drive the jokes rather than the plot. Honestly, the comedy in this was better than the sci-fi aspect, which came off as a background to set up a series of sketches.
    Last edited by Tibor; 06-08-2003 at 04:38 PM.

our backs against the wall

great episode. It was much more light-hearted than most episodes this season which is a good thing, I was getting tired of all the emotion. Unlike Tomacco and Tibor I enjoyed the episode all the way through. The thing I most enjoyed in the second part of the episode was the different universes especially the hippy one. I'd give it an A-, better than The Sting.

frogophone

Don't get me wrong- every episode doesn't have to have a bazooka load of emotion, but my complaint is that plotting and characterization don't exactly shine here. I still gave it a good grade, because it was fun, just not enough substance to put it in A range.

To elaborate- my favorite stories are centered around a character conflict, or are at least propelled by one. The beauty of Futurama is that it often takes an interesting premise and propels it with a character conflict. This had an interesting premise (though not fleshed out in full) and propelled it with jokes.
    Last edited by Tibor; 06-08-2003 at 05:50 PM.

our backs against the wall

well the characterization probably didn't bother me too much because I'm a new fan of the show, which is probably why I put it in the A range

Blog Entries

4/5

A for conception, B- for execution

It was alright. I really liked the story--parallel universe stories are great, and this one was pretty good. The chase between the boxes was great, and I liked how Zoidberg had a (weird) upper hand. My problem with this episode is that it had a lot of scenes that just 'ended', no jokes, and didn't help the story (the scene with the two Amy's being a good example). I also think the scene where Leela contemplates peeking inside the box went too long. This episode also had another lame Fry/Leele unnecessary "thing" in it. And I think a lot of the poor jokes would've been better if the voice acting wasn't off (especially Hermes). Oh well, it was enjoyable. 3/5.

Heh, so we now have Bender A, Bender 1, and Flexo. And most likely a Flexo 1. Hmm...
    Last edited by okayagain; 06-08-2003 at 06:42 PM.

Agreed %100 with Tibor, including the grade. It was fun, but not substance fun and I don't think it really used its great sci-fi premise to its fullest. But still very fun.

And Tomacco: I can see your points, but I actually found the second half better, as I thought the first half started slow, and the second half had all my favorite moments. Hermes also didn't bug me really, since he's always just been a cruel, heartless beaurecrat. Granted we've never seen him HATE the Professor, but when have we seen him LIKE anyone, other then his wife? The Fry and Leela thing did seem tacked on though, and probably shouldn't have been there, though keeping in mind that the show is fairly continuous (unlike, say, Simpsons, which is always self contained in each episode) I guess its forgivable as they need to keep it up a little, and at least they didn't do ANOTHER episode that focuses on it as they're starting to push it with them.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

I thought this episode was great! It's almost like what would have happened to the show had the producers gone with different coloring and story lines. Very good. Hi-larious as well. Couldn't get enough of this episode, cause parallel universes are just great. Reminds me of when they went to the edge of the universe and waved at their other selves, although they weren't the same people as in this episode. 5/5 only a few more new eps left.
    Get Camino!

Originally posted by Datoupee
    I don't think you are looking at the show from a sci-fi perspective. You seem to only rate these shows on comedy. I find every episode of Futurama to be simply amazing based on the sci-fi genre. I'm not sure how anyone can knit pick this stuff as much as you do. Enjoy it and be done with it. The episodes aren't made to be knit picked through piece by piece. I think you should change the way you review your episodes Tomacco. And don't be offended by this. It is just honest constructive criticism not a shot at you.
    I rate these shows on the mixture of comedy, emotion, character, plot, and satire. I know it's a sci-fi show, but I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, so it's the least important thing to. However, I like it in balance, just like everything else. "The Why of Fry" was far too sci-fi and not nearly enough comedy, for example. Too much of one thing just doesn't work with me. "The Sting" had a balance of everything, and worked for me. This one seemed balanced in the first half, and I enjoyed the sci-fi elements of the alternate universe and all. But when they start quickly jumping from world to world in a mad scramble, it gets chaotic. It reminded me of the third acts of "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" (where they're hopping through literature) or the zaniness of "Time Keeps on Slippin'" (which is an episode I do not like). I know these parts of the story do make sense, but I just don't find them entertaining.

So, nah, I don't wanna change the way I review episodes. It's my way, and I don't see a point in giving everything a 5/5. I would rather stay true to myself, enjoy what I enjoy, and not try to satisfy others. It's advice I'll offer anyone. And don't be offended by this. It is just honest constructive criticism not a shot at you.

The Boy Who Lived

Excellent story but wasnt executed as well. 4/5

Blog Entries

I've been waiting for this. A pure-hilarity episode (a la most of season three and all of season one) of Futurama. No shippy stuff (sorry, but it just gets VERY tiring after a while), but still progressing Fry and Leela's relationship was good.

Anyways, the episode, I thought, was excellent, I don't care about novelty, but it had just a very hilarious atmosphere instead of serious (like "The Sting" and "The Why of Fry"). Bender and Bender 1 were great partners, and the Zoidbergs were great. The only thing I hated was parallel Fry and Leela married. That was pretty much a kick in the ass to fans of the show who want to see Fry and Leela together (not that I'm into it, but it would be great IF it does happen), because if it's parallel, that means Fry A + Leela A = Never. Hearing Fry 1 and Leela 1's explanation about them being married just felt wrong. Fortunely, Leela (A) making up her mind at the end was a refreshing point.

By the way, did anyone laugh at the narrator? It seemed like something they'd do someday (but did they already do it in 4ACV11?).

Well, Three Hundred Big Boys looks unpredictable (except that it features...Zapp [and hopefully, Kif]), and then there's a pre-emption for NASCAR. Hmmm...maybe it'll finish in August, perhaps?

Oh, and any past episode refrences? I know that when Bender A and 1 were saying "DOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEDD!" together, it was a refrence to "The Problem With Popplers"...

I rate these shows on the mixture of comedy, emotion, character, plot, and satire. I know it's a sci-fi show, but I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, so it's the least important thing to. However, I like it in balance, just like everything else. "The Why of Fry" was far too sci-fi and not nearly enough comedy, for example. Too much of one thing just doesn't work with me. "The Sting" had a balance of everything, and worked for me. This one seemed balanced in the first half, and I enjoyed the sci-fi elements of the alternate universe and all. But when they start quickly jumping from world to world in a mad scramble, it gets chaotic. It reminded me of the third acts of "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" (where they're hopping through literature) or the zaniness of "Time Keeps on Slippin'" (which is an episode I do not like). I know these parts of the story do make sense, but I just don't find them entertaining.

So, nah, I don't wanna change the way I review episodes. It's my way, and I don't see a point in giving everything a 5/5. I would rather stay true to myself, enjoy what I enjoy, and not try to satisfy others. It's advice I'll offer anyone. And don't be offended by this. It is just honest constructive criticism not a shot at you.
    Tomacco, it just seems to me that your reviews are never justified to any extent. Why is it that you feel comedy should drive these shows ? I always become disgusted when people say "There were not enough jokes" or "the characters didn't seem right". You can't judge the overal show based on the outcome of other shows. I look at each episode as another piece in the entire outcome of the television subject. I spend more time on the board laughing and becoming disgusted at peoples reviews on here that I find it pointless to even debate the issue. And I am starting to think I shouldn't have opened my mouth once again. These internet nerds like to team up on people like me.

His reviews may be a little short sometimes (like with most people here), but he still gives pretty just reasons, and is just expressing his opinion. And frankly, while I try to consider everyone's opinion, its a little hard to take your reviews of anything seriously, because all you ever give is 5/5s. That doesn't mean you have to give any bad reviews really, and I guess its good that you're enthusiastic, but you never seem to able to aknowledge an episode/movie, etc's flaws, or even just LIKE them rather then love them to death. I really don't want to attack you or make you feel like I'm "ganging up" on you, but honestly I don't think you give particularly good reasoning in your reviews yourself, or gain any credibility with most people because you give everything you even slightly like an A-triple-plus. Is it so much to ask that you at least come up with a grading system that would differentiate which episodes you like and which you love? Or at least which ones you love more then others?

Originally posted by DotheBartman
    His reviews may be a little short sometimes (like with most people here), but he still gives pretty just reasons, and is just expressing his opinion. And frankly, while I try to consider everyone's opinion, its a little hard to take your reviews of anything seriously, because all you ever give is 5/5s. That doesn't mean you have to give any bad reviews really, and I guess its good that you're enthusiastic, but you never seem to able to aknowledge an episode/movie, etc's flaws, or even just LIKE them rather then love them to death. I really don't want to attack you or make you feel like I'm "ganging up" on you, but honestly I don't think you give particularly good reasoning in your reviews yourself, or gain any credibility with most people because you give everything you even slightly like an A-triple-plus. Is it so much to ask that you at least come up with a grading system that would differentiate which episodes you like and which you love? Or at least which ones you love more then others?
    This is where we seem to differ. It's incredibly hard to rate a 22 minute show with a grading system. I feel you either love it or hate it. This is why I end up enjoying each show. It seems that yourself and Tomacco go into these episodes just waiting to pick out flaws or things you don't like rather than just sitting there and watching the episode as a whole. The way you go into the episode has a huge effect on the outcome. I have stopped reading spoilers and promotional material and just put the tv on at the time the episodes aired. You would be surprised at how much more you enjoy the show. I wish shows never released any information on the upcoming episodes. Fans would be more into wanting to enjoy them instead of criticism.

Originally posted by Datoupee
    This is where we seem to differ. It's incredibly hard to rate a 22 minute show with a grading system. I feel you either love it or hate it. This is why I end up enjoying each show. It seems that yourself and Tomacco go into these episodes just waiting to pick out flaws or things you don't like rather than just sitting there and watching the episode as a whole. The way you go into the episode has a huge effect on the outcome. I have stopped reading spoilers and promotional material and just put the tv on at the time the episodes aired. You would be surprised at how much more you enjoy the show. I wish shows never released any information on the upcoming episodes. Fans would be more into wanting to enjoy them instead of criticism.
    Nothing could be further from the truth actually. I'm never thinking about reviews when I watch any TV show. But if a character says something that seems out-of-character, I'll say to myself "well that was weird". Or if there really isn't enough humor, I can still recognize when I'm getting bored. Or if there's too many lame jokes, I can still recognize when I'm not buying into the attempt at humor. I don't see a point in watching a show just to complain about it, so I don't. I watch for entertainment, which I usually get on the most part. I'm giving this episode a 4/5. Just because I took off one mark for some issues I had with it, there's still 4 that account for entertainment, right?

And by the way, you need to do some research before criticizing me, because just last week I gave "The Sting" a great review, based on more than just comedy. In fact, I left comedy out of my review on the most part. And if you read my South Park reviews, you'll see how they focus a lot on episodes' themes and storylines. And , of course, if you read my Simpsons reviews, I actually focus on humor less than 80% of the people here. Not to mention, I'm a lot less critical than most people here.

And by the way, you need to do some research before criticizing me, because just last week I gave "The Sting" a great review, based on more than just comedy. In fact, I left comedy out of my review on the most part. And if you read my South Park reviews, you'll see how they focus a lot on episodes' themes and storylines. And , of course, if you read my Simpsons reviews, I actually focus on humor less than 80% of the people here. Not to mention, I'm a lot less critical than most people here.
    I have read many of your reviews. I just think you are out to get these shows when you write them. About 90% of them are about the things the show didn't live up to. And about 10% are the things you enjoyed. These rating scales based on 22 minute episodes are kind of pointless anyway. Discussion about the episodes should be done without such presice rankings. Maybe it's just me but like I said before... many of these reviews are not even worth reading because they are far from the truth and leave a negative impact on the majority of shows. Contrary to popular belief... the Simpsons have not declined. Look at the ratings every week and you will see there still is an audience. So why do so many people insist the show has declined ? I never see people wanted to back up their arguments. BUT that dicussions is for another topic in another thread.

remembers the batoosie leaderbean's Avatar

i always loved how futurama parodies the sci-fi shows as well as it does. in every sci-fi show i ever watched there is always an episode or three were there are parallel dimesions. i was waiting for this episode. i like the whole universe in a box thing. i felt it was very creative.
    "Captain's Log, Stardate...damn. What's the date? Number One, what's today? No, I know it's Tuesday, what's the date? The STARdate!"

frogophone

Datoupee, if anybody doesn't justify their grading, it's you. "10 thumbs up? What the hell is that?" I mean honestly, Mike Scully could come in your home and take a shit on your TV and you'd give it a 10/5 or something. If anything, Jonah is a very forgiving reviewer, compared to many.

I just think you are out to get these shows when you write them.
    There's a difference between looking for problems and being honest with yourself about what you like and don't like.

Tibor... when you get older and learn to appreciate life you will understand what I am talking about. Trust me. The younger generation has a habit of creating a negative stereotype with themselfves and their surroundings.

frogophone

I know plenty of people that have 'life experience' or whatever and are comfortable with analysis and critiquing things. I mean, if everything's so great, where is the contrast that makes it great (for you, personally)?

Thread Information