• 1/5- Three words: I Hate Bees

1 2.27%
  • 0/5- As crappy as "Less Than Hero"

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate/Review Futurama 4ACV12 "The Sting"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

Awful, awful, awful. A storyline that pulled a Fight Club (floats around with no purpose and then has a trick ending) and very little funny jokes made this one a bad one. Honestly, this episode suffers from the same sort of problems that a lot of recent episodes have (jokes that don't make any sense, unnecessary references to previous episodes, etc...). I just don't see how a great deal of you could have liked something that was so flat and dull.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Tomacco
    Whether you realize it or not, you are RUINING everything you watch for yourself when you do this.
    Huh?...I just did it because I wanted to review the acts as they came along...I used the 24 thing as an excuse...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Originally posted by Channel Surfer
    Was anyone else annoyed when this episode took the most cliched ending possible for a conclusion, the "everything's a dream" ending? I know when I was watching the episode, I was literally saying "Please don't be a dream, please be something better then a dream." Perhaps it's just me, but I was expecting something a little greater, considering how interesting the episode was as a whole.
    I think what makes it different from most "it was a dream" endings, is that it wasn't about the events of Fry's death, but about Leela trying to wake up from her coma, as a view from the inside. Whereas most of the time this is seen in media, it's a cop-out to serious events and situations. All the wacko stuff that happened, and Fry continually telling Leela to wake up, was there so we'd realize it was a dream. Which is why it's accepted.

The only exception was Fry's funeral. It was just there to trick people into believing Fry was dead, all the stuff that made it a possible dream came afterwards.

I was happy to see a traditional ending because the way the episode seemed to be heading I was expecting some complicated and ridiculous sci-fi ending, like what happened in Leela's dream when she spilled honey on the couch. I was glad that wasn't the actual ending, because in a sci-fi show, they could have taken (what I consider) the easy way out, and just make up some science that can bring Fry back to life. That's what bothered me about "The Why of Fry"; even when the viewer is leaded to believe Fry is screwed, the brains will always reveal some random way that he can save himself, like attaching himself to a bunch of tentacle things which will transport him away. At least this episode had something of a logical ending, after all the craziness that was going on beforehand.
    Signature.

The 3010th on named Bartman Bartman3010's Avatar

It gets a 4/5 from me. Nice episode. It wasnt funny, but it wasnt unfunny, it was actually pretty nice.
    - Sean

I really should visit here more often...

The Sting FMS5:

First time I've watched Futurama for a while, and I was very surprised at the excellence of this ep. I actually thought Fry was dead- for some obscure reason, they convinced me pretty good. Leela going insane was funny, as was random gags throughout, and it was really really not fake emotion throughout, such as Moe Baby Blues was this season... I tells ya, I'm gonna be looking out for the rest of McSeason 5. Only bad thing in this ep was probably.. meh, can't think of anything, but it wasn't perfect, so I'll give it a 9.

9/10

Nature's Rubix Cube

It's hard to review an episode like this, seeing as it was so good. It took the cake. Granted, it wasn't all that funny, but an episode like this isn't meant to be all that funny. This was a drama, pure and simple, a dramatic piece of art that made me smile. Best episode of the season...5 out of 5.
    When it comes to livin', dying is the easy part.

I was happy to see a traditional ending because the way the episode seemed to be heading I was expecting some complicated and ridiculous sci-fi ending, like what happened in Leela's dream when she spilled honey on the couch. I was glad that wasn't the actual ending, because in a sci-fi show, they could have taken (what I consider) the easy way out, and just make up some science that can bring Fry back to life. That's what bothered me about "The Why of Fry"; even when the viewer is leaded to believe Fry is screwed, the brains will always reveal some random way that he can save himself, like attaching himself to a bunch of tentacle things which will transport him away. At least this episode had something of a logical ending, after all the craziness that was going on beforehand.
    Yeah, it would've been even cheesier had they constructed some last second sci-fi ending like the spilled royal honey scenario (endings like that are almost like making up the rules as you along). And the ending still works, because it reflects just how much Fry does care for Leela by staying at her side the entire time she was in the coma. But dream endings come off to me as the number one TV cliche and, IMO, it seemed too traditional for a show like "Futurama".

I wasn't bothered by "The Why of Fry's" ending though. Beyond the episode tying up loose ends from past episodes, I felt the ending was mocking ridiculous sci-fi endings, as well as general sci-fi cliches, rather then it just being a cheesy, cop-out ending where they make stuff up just because they can.
    Last edited by Channel Surfer; 06-02-2003 at 09:03 PM.

Watched it again, and now I'm upgrading my rating to a flat "A". The second time I was able to focus on the humor a little more, and found it funnier that time, plus I was able to take in some of the story elements a little easier. For those worried about replay value, the second time shouldn't be a problem if nothing else, because after you've seen it once its worth seeing again to find the "clues" about what's really going on, and realizing where certain lines ("Even though you can't hear me...", "You don't want to lie in bed your whole life", etc) are actually coming from.

And I'd have to agree with Tomacco on the ending. For me personally, I didn't think it was cliched really because of the twist on it, and if it was cliched, it was a well done cliche, and a twist on the cliche, which is essentially what Futurama and Simpsons both do commonly. The ending still caught me off guard, which is what the whole episode tried to do, and hence worked perfectly for me. Plus, what Tomacco said, it would've been worse if they had a more hackeneyed sci-fi ending, since the show still needs to stay a little grounded.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Paul

Downloaded it tonight. Absoloutely incredible. When I first read the description, I was not too keen. But after watching the episode, I learnt the error of my ways. The song was just great, and the way they showed Leela going insane was fantastic. Some great emotion, not many jokes, but still a good episode at that. In total, I give this episode a definite A+, becoming one of my favourites.

It took until my 3rd viewing to notice the stress figuring present from Fry's locker sitting on the counter to the right in the hospital room.

It took until my 3rd viewing to notice the stress figuring present from Fry's locker sitting on the counter to the right in the hospital room.
    Ah yes, I think I had seen that but forgotten. Was the Fry picture there too? I don't remember.

Again, its interesting watching it multiple times because you can notice certain lines from Fry that actually make more sense when you fully realize the context, for instance "I know you can't hear me, but I'm going to keep talking!".

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I thought the episode was wonderfully weird in a wonderfully weird sort of way. It had a good, complicated plot that makes you come back for more to watch it again and again and again. I quite liked the 2001: A Space Odyssey parody, even though I'd already seen something similar on The Simpsons. Graphics were better this time though. Not much to complain about here. A very good episode in a mainly mediocre season. Overall, 4/5.

It was indeed a great episode - my only gripe - I could see the whole "it was a dream thing" coming what with all the "wake up" clues fry gave. Unusually for me - this didnt spoil my enjoyment of the episode

4/5
    Sig Free since '03

Internet, eh? Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar

One of the best imo, just loses out to 'Jurassic Bark' on being the best of the Season. Really makes you think. - 5/5

Thread Information