View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

32 61.54%
  • 4/5

12 23.08%
  • 3/5

5 9.62%
  • 2/5

0 0%
  • 1/5

3 5.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate/review The Why of Fry

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Nuclear launch detected. Simpson Purist's Avatar

Rate/review The Why of Fry

9/10

Excellent, excellent episode that really could've been a great series finale. I liked how everything tied-in to what happened in past episodes (especially Space Pilot 3000 and Jurassic Bark). Two things bothered me a bit though. The Leela dating subplot is right out of the "Cyber House Rules" playbook. Also, how could Fry defeat the Brains the first time if the events in "Roswell That Ends Well" didn't occur yet?

EDIT: I saw it again, and I'll agree that it didn't have the big-laugh factor or clever plot of Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles. It's still a very good episode, but I love slightly less.
    Last edited by Simpson Purist; 04-07-2003 at 04:19 AM.

never had the chance to give skittlebrau his "cumupeance" :(

Horrible, pathetic, absolutely insane and unfunny. How does one enjoy this show? 2/10

SuperFriend

I missed it. What happend?
    This isn't 'faux-dive',.. this is a dive.

frogophone

This was a nice episode for tying up loose ends. It was fun to see the Nibblonians again. Something I have noticed is that the creators of Futurama do set things up for later episodes (Nibbler in the trash can in Jurassic Bark), something The Simpsons writers/producers denied doing with, say, Blinky, in Homer's Oddyssey. Very creative and intriguing, and nice on the humor side. Scooty Puff Jr. and Fry's zebra come to mind.

I thought it was a high quality episode that did have a lot of tie-ins. It felt almost like the last episode of the series. If he had stayed in the past it would have blanked the future and thus none of futurama would have ever happened which would have been a pretty interesting way to wrap things up. But it was still good and amusing. Although I do agree that the Leela subplot was reused . 4/5 Goooooal!
    Get Camino!

spleef

First off, Bloodmane: Shut up. You're really starting to piss a lot of people off and unlike other members you don't have the clout or seniority to get away with it.

Second off, Skyegazer, here's roughly what happened: When Leela goes off on a date with the mayor's aide, Fry walks Nibbler and feels depressed, worthless, and alone. Nibbler starts talking to him and takes him to the Nibblonian planet, where the other Nibblonians reveal that the giant evil brains from a while back have been collecting all knowledge during the past 1000 years and putting inside a giant brain. Once they're done, they'll destroy the universe. Since Fry is the "Chosen One" they send him to sneak into the giant brain's "lair" to destroy it. Once there, he activates the bomb but at the last minute is goaded into asking about what happened on the night he was frozen by the brains. It's revealed that Nibbler actually pushed Fry's chair, causing him to fall into the cryo-tube. Angered, Fry yells at the Nibblonians but at the moment the bomb explodes, sending him and all the brains into a parallel demension.

Meanwhile, Leela's date shows off his power, getting free bread at Elzar's restaurant. He suprises her by having the rocket-skating rink closed for them. But while they skate, the kids from the Orphanarium show up, ready to rocket-skate. When Leela asks her date to let them join, he refuses and insults the orphans, prompting Leela to shove his Mayor's aide badge in his mouth and dump him.

In the parallel demension, the brains reveal that they can send Fry back in time to December 31, 1999 to stop Nibbler from freezing Fry. When he arrives, he argues with past-Nibbler, to remember that he loves the future and more importantly, loves Leela. So he pushes his past self into the cryo-tube. Fry gets zapped back into the future, where he activates the bomb again, but this time escapes. Nibbler takes him back to Earth, wipes his memory, and gives him a flower.

In the end, Fry meets up with Leela and Bender at Planet Express, who're burning a picture of Leela and aide. Fry gives the flower and Nibbler to Leela, making her realize how he's always been there for her and kisses him.

THE END

This episode was average. It had an interesting story, which sometimes toed the line of confusing though. Basically we had to just trust what they were saying, as you do with most sci-fi shows. It brought together the show's start, the "The Day the Earth Stodd Stupid" episode, the "Jurassic Bark" thing (shadows under the table), and "Roswell that Ends Well" sorta too.

But the reason why I give the episode a 3/5 is because it just really wasn't very funny. The Nibbler cute jokes were already tired after "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" and I didn't really even notice many other attempts at jokes. The funniest joke for me was:

Fry: So everything I yell when I'm drunk is true?
    Nibblonian: Yes, except Dave Matthews Band doesn't "rock".

And I only liked that joke because I'm a DMB nut.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

Just great. Thanks, Mega Moose of Doom. You think you could've put that in a spoiler box for the people on the WEST COAST??...

twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

For the first time ever I did not enjoy Futurama. Well, this time & that time Zoidburg made a movie. However, it's still my all-time favorite show.

Not the funniest episode (though I still think it was pretty funny), but it was still fantastic simply because the story was so great and creative. Plus, just how many past episodes they managed to incorparate into this:

Space Pilot 3000: Fry's freezing and the Nibbler shadow (Nibbler makes the call!)
    Anthology of Interest I: Time flux near the cryo tube (who else thought of this?)
    The Day the Earth Stood Stoopid: The brains, the Nibblonians, and Fry's mind being important
    Roswell that Ends Well: Being his own grandfather causes Fry's abnormality.
    Jurassic Bark: Nibbler...and Fry under the table.

So anyway, I'm going to say at least A-, but I'm probably going to need to watch the episode again tonight just to absorb all of it.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Well, I think it's not evident that story is 10 times more important than humor in animated comedies for DotheBartman. I'm not saying there's something really wrong with that, but that's how it is.

Well, it depends on HOW good the story is, and whether or not its really important to a given episode. For instance, on "The Simpsons" side, Lisa's Substitute and Rosebud are both A/A+ episodes. But Rosebud is great primarily for the humor, while Lisa's Substitute gets that distinction largely because of the story.

But again, I will need to watch Why of Fry again anyway. I would have to say that some of it was a little confusing because it went by a little fast(largely, I think, because they had a lot to reveal in 23 minutes), so I'll have to watch it again and let it all sink in.

I can't believe how many of you are complaining. This episode was great ! It had all the elements that Futurama uses to excel beyond other shows. I am having a hard time trying to cope with the fact that the show is almost over.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

our backs against the wall

uh pretty good episode, I agree with Tomacco that it wasn't very funny but the story was very well written and tied in a lot of loose ends. So overall I'd give it a B-, average episode.

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

I'm forced to watch 60 Minutes each Sunday during this time period. I'm usually just watch King of the Hill for the last half hour, but the first is where we usually get quizzed on........so sad because I really wanted to see this one.

i really enjoyed this episode. It kicked the crap out of the King of the Hill and Simpson reruns tonight. I didn't laugh a lot, but I was interested throughout the entire episode. Damn FOX to hell. Because of the time this show has been on, I have missed most Futurama episodes this year.
    I'm back.

Pin Pal

it was a good plot idea, but was horribly unfunny.

The Boy Who Lived

The second best episode this season for Futurama. So a 4/5

From best to worst:

Jurassic Bark
    The Why Of Fry
    Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles
    Crimes Of The Hot
    Kif Gets Knocked Up A Notch
    The Route Of All Evil
    Less Than Hero
    A Taste Of Freedom

Originally posted by dr. cockandballs
    it was a good plot idea, but was horribly unfunny.
    Exactly. I'm just trying to figure out if they were even trying to write comedy or a purely science fiction story.

RABID just made me realize how bad this season has been:

Crimes Of The Hot - C+
    Kif Gets Knocked Up A Notch - C+
    The Route Of All Evil - D
    Less Than Hero - D
    A Taste Of Freedom - D

Hmm...

Some people here are very hypocritical (myself included). If I seem to recall, last week's Simpsons episode didn't have too much in the big laughs, yet everyone seemed to like it nonetheless (including me). Just because an episode sacrifices humor in favor of plot doesn't mean the episode sucks.

EDIT: No offense Tomacco, but you seem to be attacking everything that is not named "The Simpsons." I recalled you were bashing recent episodes of King of the Hill, South Park, Malcolm in the Middle (although most of the reasons you stated were justified).

Sorry if I went a little overboard with my rant, Daylight Savings Time is giving me a headache.
    Last edited by Simpson Purist; 04-06-2003 at 05:52 PM.

cliche the end is near defrocked's Avatar

First episode I've seen in years, and I thought it was quite good.

The 3010th on named Bartman Bartman3010's Avatar

Well it goes away from the style of the show. Sure, it isnt supposed to always serious, but even most (If not, all) of the other serious episodes had a higher level of hilarity.

I liked it, but I'd give it a C+

Also, when did Nibler go into the trash can in this episode? Perhaps the continuity isnt that solid =P
    - Sean

I really should visit here more often...

Originally posted by Simpson Purist

EDIT: No offense Tomacco, but you seem to be attacking everything that is not named "The Simpsons." I recalled you were bashing recent episodes of King of the Hill, South Park, Malcolm in the Middle (although most of the reasons you stated were justified).
    You're right, I have been attacking those shows lately, because I'm seriously disappointed with King of the Hill and Malcolm this season, as well as the "Krazy Kripples" South Park. The other two SP this season I gave 3/5's. And last season of SP I was praising non-stop.

King of the Hill this season honestly has been unbelievably disappointing for me. The only episodes I've liked have been "Get Your Freak Off", "Boxing Luanne", "Vision Quest" and the rerun tonight. What were the problems this season?:

"The Fat and the Fuious" was just bizarre, with an odd guest appearance. "Goodbye Normal Jeans" was another Peggy being a bitch, Bobby acting gay (with Hank accepting it??)"Dances With Dogs" and "The Son Also Roses" aired consecutively, and they had very similar uninteresting Bobby acting gay (but Hank NOT objecting AGAIN??) plots. After that came two uninteresting episodes, one with Dale making a tunnel under Hank's house with Hank attending an anger management class, and the next about Peggy owning a book store (a boring episode entirely). The next one was the worst episode ever, being the one with the guy dressed as a pig falling in love with Luanne and dying. The MegaLo Mart ep that followed was good enough. "Boxing Luanne" was good. "Vision Quest" was good. And the motorcycle ep was good too. So February was good. But then there was the Peggy being a super-bitch episode, "Board Games". And the dull, predictable (with lame subplot) one with Bobby selling grills, which somehow felt re-used. Then there was the one where Buck proposes to Luanne, which was just weird. But overall that episode wasn't bad.

As for Futurama, this season and last, overall, have been mediocre to me. What can I say? I enjoyed "Godfellas", "Futurestock", "Roswell that Ends Well", "Where No Fan has Gone Before", "Jurassic Bark" and a couple others notably in season 4 and 5. But episodes like "A Leela of Her Own", "A Taste of Freedom", "The Route of All Evil", "Less Than Hero", and "A Pharoah to Remember" have been so lame (in my opinion) that they're overshadowing the good stuff. I still like the show though. Last week's was notably good.

All in all, I'm just finding The Simpsons has been imporving while the other shows have been declining. Just my opinion.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Originally posted by Tomacco
    Exactly. I'm just trying to figure out if they were even trying to write comedy or a purely science fiction story.
    Futurama is both a science fiction adventure cartoon and a comedy, and its always been both. Thats kind of why it has somewhat of a limited appeal.

Anyway, I give this a 5/5, A+. Seems like they were trying to wrap up a bunch of things really quickly with this episode, but it was still well executed. I'm confused, is this the unnoficial last episode?

Barring any last-minute changes, it's the last episode of Futurama until the summer as far as I'm concerned.

Blog Entries

I liked it. 5/5.

Nature's Rubix Cube

In my opinion, this was one of the greatest episodes of Futurama...ever. First of all, it had some excellent continuity with the previous episodes (Space Pilot 3000, etc.) that I haven't seen in awhile. And second of all, while it didn't have as many memorable one-liners or water-cooler gags, it had the great romance between Fry & Leela, which I love ever so. In all, regardless of its slight (very slight) faults, this is still a dynamic episode. 5 out of 5...and that's the end of that chapter.
    When it comes to livin', dying is the easy part.

Blog Entries

5/5, great episode. I thought it was funny, and a nice closure to earlier episodes. Should've been the series finale...

Eh, I really disliked the story in "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid", so this episode looked bad to me. It had some good laugh out loud jokes, but I hate the Nibblonians (Mostly because I really like Nibbler when he's in disguise), and the brains are bad characters too. Although I liked the plot and how it wrapped up the past episodes well, it took away focus from the jokes and as much as I like Futurama when it's like this, the jokes are what I watch it for.
    So I can only give it a (high) 3/5.

Also, Bender was just awful in this episode. He only appeared in a couple of scenes, but they were really bad.

Now, this episode certainly wasn't the funniest the series has ever had (well, the DMB jab was good...), but I'm still giving this episode very high marks. Simply, I liked the plot in this one. What was great about it was how it tied into several other episodes in the series and had very good continuity with them, something many other shows can only dream of. Plus, it was just executed well. Fry being lonely like that struck a chord with me, and I thought the sub-plot with Leela and Chaz was done well. So, 5/5. It's almost a Lisa's Substitute of the series, in the sense that it's the plot that put it over the top.
    This week's Invention Exchange:
    Cake 'N Shake: the cake with a real exotic dancer, all in one box!
    "Now even mom, dad, and the kids can enjoy a Chippendale dancer at little Jimmy's seventh birthday!

Thread Information