View Poll Results: How would you rate "Special Edna"?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5 - would be better if the 'real Skinner' appeared again

3 1.28%
  • 2/5 - even Friends handles engagements better

15 6.41%
  • 3/5 - nothing special about this episode

26 11.11%
  • 4/5 - he really is Principal Charming

91 38.89%
  • 5/5 - even Agnes Skinner should be proud

99 42.31%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Rate & Review: "Special Edna" (EABF02)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Just found this on YouTube - the end credits to this episode, from the original Fox airing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyXxxgIUHYg

Apparently they found a way to use the Fox "text credits" while Homer was singing "What do I think of the Pie", and it also uses a different version of the 20th Century Fox theme. The DVD version keeps the standard Matt Groening font on screen during Homer's song, followed by an abbreviated version of the standard theme, with the regular 20th Century Fox fanfare.

Good episode.

plot 14/25
    absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 20/25
    comedy 18/25
    originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 22/25

TOTAL 74/100 (4/5 with rounding or B-). GOOD!
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 03/08/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 10 > 12 > 15 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

THE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO.....PARODY EPCOT....you know technically the Simpsons COULD do a We're going to Disney world episode now that they're owned by Disney, I bet Tony Goldmark would love that, if we ever seen Season 4 of Some Jerk with a Camera

Ugh I hate Agnes so much in this episode, she's acting like she's married to seymour....well technically if we considered Principal and the Pauper canon

Bart did such a nice thing for Edna, considering what he did to her back in season 3 (thank god she NEVER found out) and that was awesome of Little Richard (wait really? not against it but it seems like the oddest guest star choice for this episode) to let Skinner have one of his rings
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is this the last episode where Skinner showed any sort of dignity whatsoever?

Don't get me wrong, he still acted pathetic by asking Bart to help him humiliate Edna, and lets Agnes decide way too much over him (who by the way starts going from overdemanding but still funny to more of a nuisance here)... but at least in the end he still showed he was his own man, and that nothing can destroy the love between him and Edna.

To this day I still don't get why Al Jean in the very next season decided to sabotage what is easily my favorite relationship in the show. The bond between them while troubled by Agnes' interference at times, was quite special and had this really nice vibe of two lonesome people getting whipped by reality finding solace in each other. I guess they thought Edna is funnier or more relatable single? I don't know. I think it was a pointless change and shows cowardice on the writers' part by not letting two people just find happiness in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    Is this the last episode where Skinner showed any sort of dignity whatsoever?

Don't get me wrong, he still acted pathetic by asking Bart to help him humiliate Edna, and lets Agnes decide way too much over him (who by the way starts going from overdemanding but still funny to more of a nuisance here)... but at least in the end he still showed he was his own man, and that nothing can destroy the love between him and Edna.

To this day I still don't get why Al Jean in the very next season decided to sabotage what is easily my favorite relationship in the show. The bond between them while troubled by Agnes' interference at times, was quite special and had this really nice vibe of two lonesome people getting whipped by reality finding solace in each other. I guess they thought Edna is funnier or more relatable single? I don't know. I think it was a pointless change and shows cowardice on the writers' part by not letting two people just find happiness in life.
    Hear, hear OSS!
    SEASON 32 GRADES

Undercover Burns - ?/5 / I, Carumbus - ?/5

With the recent death of Little Richard, I too have looked back at this episode. Sure, Season 14 was when the show started to really go downhill for me, but it still had some fun episodes, including this one.

Oh yes, I remember how tempting it was to procrastinate on a report or whatever for school, but later on as I got older I liked to get it finished well before the due date (in some cases it'd be completed a week before it was due!)
    Heh, the Robin Williams expy was amusing, with Dan Castellaneta using the same voice he'd also use for the Genie in Disney's "Aladdin" TV series and "The Return of Jafar" direct-to-video movie.
    I also loved Homer's agonic wailing and complaining as they even fly over "Efcot." I remember enjoying the Epcot Center when my family and I went to Disney World in September 2000, though.
    Interesting seeing Bart actually wear a light blue shirt like in merchandising and comics and stuff. Now if only he had his dark blue shorts to go with that shirt instead of the red ones...
    Oh, and there's "Happy Together" by the Turtles, one of the top favorite oldies by the show's production crew. (I often think of "The Simpsons" when I hear the actual song.)
    The electric car bit was also really funny, especially the idea that people who see you riding it would think you're gay, with the stereotypical gay man animatronics chanting "One of us" with a beat!
    And of course, Homer mistaking Little Richard for Prince and Michael Jackson I thought was funny. (I wonder if he would've mistaken James Brown for one of them back in "Bart's Inner Child?")
    I also thought Homer's breaking into the Magic Kingdom was also really funny, especially with Dan Castellaneta's Mickey Mouse imitation: "Step away from the wall. Step away from the wall!" (I still like the Mickey impression he did in "The Man Who Came To Be Dinner," though.)
    And then there's Homer's Disney-esque pie song during the end credits, which is amusing but not as fun as "Family Guy"'s Disney-esque pie song ("It's a Wonderful Day for Pie" sounds more natural and fun than Homer's forced "What Do I Think of the Pie?")

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    I believe they say on the commentary for that episode in the following season that they broke them up because they thought their relationship was fully played out and had run it's course... Which was the same BS excuse Family Guy would later use to break up Brian & Jillian. And in both cases, they also marked noticeable dips for their respective shows going forward.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: 0/5 Businessly Brunette: .5/5 The Chilly Thrillies: 1/5 Dammmm, Stan: 1.5/5 The Last Ride of the Dodge City Rambler: 0/5 300: 0/5

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    I believe they say on the commentary for that episode in the following season that they broke them up because they thought their relationship was fully played out and had run it's course... Which was the same BS excuse Family Guy would later use to break up Brian & Jillian. And in both cases, they also marked noticeable dips for their respective shows going forward.
    to be honest I really do feel that Family Guy really started to go downhill during the writer's strike

Thread Information