Thread: Do the directors have any say on improving scripts?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Do you want some brownies? Evil Homer's Avatar

Do the directors have any say on improving scripts?

I've noticed a few animation directors getting praise for their work even when their efforts are wasted on bad scripts. This got me thinking, do the directors have any say on scripts that need improvement? Can they make changes to the scripts? And do they get to choose what scripts they work on or do they just have to work on what they're assigned?

Im in this vent until we move Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I remember correctly, then they are just assigned to scripts that the showrunner chooses. As for improvement, I think that they get to participate in script readings, meaning that they should have some say on what jokes should be scrapped or added.
    SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5, The Road to Cincinnati: 3/5, Sorry Not Sorry: 2/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: 1.5/5
    The Dad Feelings Limited: 4/5
    Diary Queen: 2.5/5, Wad Goals: 2.5/5, Yokel Hero: 2.5/5, Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitars?: ?/5, Manger Things: 1.5/5, Uncut Femmes: 4/5
    Burger Kings: 2.5/5, Panic in the Streets of Springfield: 3.5/5,
    The Man From G.R.A.M.P.A: 2/5, Mother and Child Reunion: 2.5/5,
    The Last Bar-Fighter: 5/5
    SEASON OVERALL: ???/5

Blog Entries

I think after the original version of some enchanted evening any "improvements" by the animation team were extremely frowned upon. That said I think it's been mentioned on the commentaries that sometimes they can convince the producers a certain sequence would be too challenging to animate so the writers would have to rewrite it ("make it a pie, pies are easier to draw") so they have some influence. I have a script with a note that's like "hey, the director said they could probably get a certain comic book artist to draw this" which would indicate to me they were present at the table read, I'd like to think the staff would be open to their contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    I think after the original version of some enchanted evening any "improvements" by the animation team were extremely frowned upon. That said I think it's been mentioned on the commentaries that sometimes they can convince the producers a certain sequence would be too challenging to animate so the writers would have to rewrite it ("make it a pie, pies are easier to draw") so they have some influence. I have a script with a note that's like "hey, the director said they could probably get a certain comic book artist to draw this" which would indicate to me they were present at the table read, I'd like to think the staff would be open to their contributions
    Adding to this, the scene in The Telltale Head where Bart visits the statue at night and gets the idea to cut off its head wasn't in the script; it was added by Rich Moore. They liked it enough to keep it in, but he was told to not do something like that again.

Thread Information