Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate & Review: "Manger Things" (QABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

You know what? I'm now gonna have to agree with @CousinMerl that Lenny & Carl are getting off very light for their part in the episode. While all the other criticisms thrown at it are valid, it seems a bit unfair that they're being ignored the same way they were in the actual episode for ultimately being the Unwitting Instigators of Doom that started the path to most if not everything afterwards that people hated about the episode. Their overall contribution to the episode is as awful as Willie's from The Father, the Son and the Holy Guest Star where their only purpose is to be plot devices that get someone else in trouble for their actions and they're never found out and don't even appear for the rest of the episode being allowed to be Karma Houdinis (which is why I actually hate the aforementioned episode as it is enough to ruin it for me despite it only being in the first act)!

Sure you can say that it's because they were drunk, but that's also like me thinking maybe Maude's unexplainable bitchiness was because she was pregnant to which it still doesn't justify how shitty they all were, and in Lenny & Carl's case, the fact that they were never found out or even attempt to fess up to what they did making them come across as plot devices and not actual characters!
    Family Guy Season 19 Ratings - Stewie's First Word: 1.5/5 The Talented Mr. Stewie: .5/5 Boys & Squirrels: 0/5 Cutawayland: 1.5/5 La Famiglia Guy: 0/5 Meg's Wedding: 1.5/5 Wild Wild West: 3.5/5 Pawtucket Pat: 1.5/5 The First No L: 1.5/5 Fecal Matters: .5/5 Boy's Best Friend: 1.5/5 And Then There's Fraud: 0/5 PeTerminator: 1.5/5 The Marrying Kind: 1.5/5 Customer of the Week: 0/5 Who's Brian Now?: 1/5 Young Parents: 2/5 Meg Goes to College: 2.5/5 Family Cat: 3.5/5 Tales of Former Sports Glory: 0/5
    American Dad! Season 17 Ratings - Who Smarted?: 2/5 Russian Doll: 0/5 Stan Moves to Chicago: 0/5 Shakedown Steve:0/5 Thank God for Loose Rocks: 0/5 The Wondercabinet: .5/5 Little Bonnie Ramirez: 0/5 Dancin' A-with My Cell: 2/5 ̶M̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶b̶u̶s̶e̶d̶:̶ ̶T̶B̶D̶ ̶H̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶:̶ ̶T̶B̶D̶ Hot Scoomp: TBD

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: B-Boy

Blog Entries

Here's Phil's review on 700.
    Simpsons S32 ratings: - "Undercover Burns" - 1.5/5 - "I, Carumbus" - 4/5 - "Now Museum, Now You Don't" - 1.5/5 - "Treehouse 31" - 3.5/5 - "7 Beer Itch" - 1.5/5 - "Podcast News" - 3.5/5 - "Three Dreams Denied" - 1.5/5 - "Road to Cincinnati" - 1.5/5 - "Sorry Not Sorry" - 3.5/5 - "A Springfield Summer Christmas" - 2/5 - "Dad-Feelings Limited" - 4/5 - "Diary Queen" - 3/5 - "Wad Goals" - 3/5 - "Yokel Hero" - 1.5/5 - "Do Pizzabots Dream of Electric Guitars" - 4/5 - "Manger Things" - 1.25/5 - "Uncut Femmes" - 3.75/5 - "Burger Kings" - 1/5

Bless the Harts S2 ratings: - "Violet's Secret" - 4/5 - "Last Supper" - 3.25/5 - "My Best Frenda" - 4.5/5 - "Dead Mall" - 4/5 - "Pound Pinchers" - 4/5 - "McEntire Truth" - 3.5/5 - "Mega Lo Memories: Part Deux" - 4.75/5 - "Pumped" - 4/5 - "Invasion of the Potty Snatcher" - 3.5/5 - "Crappy Death Day" - 4/5 - "Big Pimpin'" - 3.75/5 - "The Dogchurian Candidate" - 4/5 - "Trollin' With The Homies" - 4/5 - "Nose Bud" - 3.25/5 - "Dance Dance Resolution" - 3.75/5 - "Easter's 11" - 2.75/5 - "Hot Tub-tation" - 3.5/5

Bob's Burgers S11 ratings: - "Dream a Little Bob of Bob" - 3.5/5 - "Worms of In-Rear-ment" - 4/5 - "Copa-Bob-bana" - 4/5 - "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" - 4/5 - "Fast Time Capsules at Wagstaff School" - 4.5/5 - "Bob Belcher and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Kids" - 4.75/5 - "Diarrhea of a Poopy Kid" 3.5/5 - "Terminalator: Terminals of Endearment" - 4/5 - "Mommy Boy" - 3.5/5 - "Yachty or Nice" - 3.5/5 - "Romancing the Beef" - 3.75/5 - "Die Card, or Card Trying" - 3.75/5 - "An Incon-Wheelie-ent Truth" - 4/5 - "Mr. Lonely Farts" - 3.5/5 - "Sheshank Redumption" - 3.75/5 - "Y Tu Tina Tambien" - 2.75/5 - "Fingers-loose" - 4.25/5

Family Guy S19 ratings: - "Stewie's First Word" - 1/5 - "Talented Mr. Stewie" - 3.5/5 - "Boys & Squirrels" - 0.5/5 - "Cutawayland" - 2.5/5 - "La Famiglia" - 0.5/5 - "Meg's Wedding" - 1.5/5 - "Wild Wild West" - 3.5/5 - "Pawtucket Pat" - 1.5/5 - "First No L" - 1/5 - "Fecal Matters" - 2/5 - "Boy's Best Friend" - 3/5 - "And Then There's Fraud" - 1/5 - "PeTerminator" - 3/5 - "The Marrying Kind" - 3/5 - "Customer of the Week" - 2.75/5 - "Who's Brian Now?" - 1.75/5

Great North ratings: - "Sexi Moose Adventure" - 4/5 - "Feast of Not People Adventure" - 4/5 - "Avocado Barter Adventure" - 4.5/5 - "Romantic Meat-Based Adventure" - 4/5 - "Curl Interrupted Adventure" - 3/5 - "Pride & Prejudice Adventure - 4.75/5 - "Period Piece Adventure" - 3/5 - "Keep Beef-lievin' Adventure" - 4.5/5

Solar Opposites S2 ratings: "The Sacred Non-Repeating Number" - 4/5 - "The Earth Eraser" - 4/5 - "The Lake House Device" - 4.25/5 - "The Emergency Urbanizer" - 4.5/5 - "The Rad-Awesome Terrific Ray" - 4/5 - "The Apple Pencil Pro" - 3/5 - "The Unlikely Demise of Terry's Favorite Shot Glass" - 4.75/5 - "The Solar Opposites Almost Get an Xbox" - 4.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Sure you can say that it's because they were drunk, but that's also like me thinking maybe Maude's unexplainable bitchiness was because she was pregnant to which it still doesn't justify how shitty they all were
    It is easy to make up excuses for them (and those reasons make sense), but it really doesn't make it any better as they were still portrayed awfully and made them incredibly unsympathetic (also Marge). The fact that Lenny & Carl were simply the instigators and never came back (making much of the plot feel contrived) was just another issue to throw onto the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Here's Phil's review on 700.
    It is interesting that he did another modern Simpsons review, but having seen this one it makes it all the more clear he doesn't care anymore. It just felt phoned in, kinda sloppy and essentially all sarcasm (even the title), much unlike those reviews he used to make (even with the bad episodes). I think he could have skipped reviewing this one by the way, 700th episode or not, especially as he did it like this.
    Season 32: Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5 / Treehouse Of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 1/5 / Podcast News - 3.5/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 3/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas For Christmas - 2.5/5 / The Dad-Feelings Limited - 4/5 / Diary Queen - 2.5/5 / Wad Goals - 4/5 / Yokel Hero - 1.5/5 / Do PizzaBots Dream Of Electric Guitars? - 2.5/5 / Manger Things - 1.5/5 / Uncut Femmes - 4/5 / Burger Kings - 1.5/5 / Panic In The Streets Of Springfield - 3/5 / Mother And Child Reunion - 2.5/5 / The Man From G.R.A.M.P.A. - 3.5/5 / The Last Barfighter - 4.5/5

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

@CousinMerl, I said before when Phil reviewed the latest THoH that there's a reason why he stopped doing weekly reviews altogether, he's just not that into it any more for all the shows he used to do weekly and only likes to post videos when he feels like it. The only one he still did week by week was the previous season of AD! (likely because he reviewed the premiere which showed signs of him not being into weekly reviews no more) which were mostly only on Patreon which I can honestly understand because from what I could tell from @orangemo telling me about them, I wouldn't want to review those episodes either unless I was being paid!

Blog Entries

@CousinMerl, I said before when Phil reviewed the latest THoH that there's a reason why he stopped doing weekly reviews altogether, he's just not that into it any more for all the shows he used to do weekly and only likes to post videos when he feels like it. The only one he still did week by week was the previous season of AD! (likely because he reviewed the premiere which showed signs of him not being into weekly reviews no more) which were mostly only on Patreon which I can honestly understand because from what I could tell from @orangemo telling me about them, I wouldn't want to review those episodes either unless I was being paid!
    He does quick thoughts on Patreon for the shows now. He stopped watching South Park completely though.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    It is easy to make up excuses for them (and those reasons make sense), but it really doesn't make it any better as they were still portrayed awfully and made them incredibly unsympathetic (also Marge). The fact that Lenny & Carl were simply the instigators and never came back (making much of the plot feel contrived) was just another issue to throw onto the pile.

It is interesting that he did another modern Simpsons review, but having seen this one it makes it all the more clear he doesn't care anymore. It just felt phoned in, kinda sloppy and essentially all sarcasm (even the title), much unlike those reviews he used to make (even with the bad episodes). I think he could have skipped reviewing this one by the way, 700th episode or not, especially as he did it like this.
    I don't think it was phoned in at all. He was just expressing how much he disliked the episode, let alone a milestone one.
    Last edited by orangemo; 03-30-2021 at 07:35 AM.

@CousinMerl, I said before when Phil reviewed the latest THoH that there's a reason why he stopped doing weekly reviews altogether, he's just not that into it any more for all the shows he used to do weekly and only likes to post videos when he feels like it.
    That I remember being said beore, but I don't mind it being point out again. I still think that the way he came off as in this review clearly showed why he stopped doing he weekly reviews (not being so into it anymore, and that is fine. Feeling disenchanted is a good reason to stop doing weekly reviews).

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    I don't think it was phoned in at all. He was just expressing how much he disliked the episode, let alone a milestone one.
    I did all too clearly understand that he expressed his disappointment and dislike of how the episode turned out and while he maybe didn't phone it in (I was exaggerating) I did get a bit of such a feel from him (maybe it was the heavily sarcastic tone of the review), even if it was just me.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-31-2021 at 12:00 AM.

@CousinMerl In general, this seeems like a particularly bad Christmas outing. The story is a recycling of many previous seen ideas, tied to a conflict that makes no sense or is worthwhile, the characters are mostly unpleasant, the endless of continuity errors. Aside from any attempt to deliver genuine emotion at the end of the day, it feels quite underserved, especially with all the ''nasty'' vibe that I feel pervades the entire episode. Many people find the episode more boring than anything else, but for me I absolutely hate every moment (Although that's more personal)

About the charcater of Maude, she still feels bad. Maybe she was that irritable about the delivery, but it's a very thin excuse. The writers have really enjoyed making her hostile and bitter, although clearly it is with all characters that the actress (Maggie Rosweel) plays, since in most of her they are legitimately bad characters: Helen Lovejoy, Luann Van Houten etc.

The Carl and Lenny thing, I guess you could say they were acting that way, because they were drunk. Although deep down, I know that they were not actually characters but more like a plot device that the writers used and discarded

This really has been Al Jean's worst season, and wether or not Matt Selman was overrated, it makes me wonder what this season would have been without Matt Selman...
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carambus - 4.5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 0/5 / Podcast News - 4/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - 3.5/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 3/5 / A Sprigfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 3/5 / The Dad-Feelings Limited - 5/5 / Diary Queen - 2.5/5 / Wad Goals - 4/5 / Yokel Hero - 1/5 / Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitars? - 3/5 / Manger Things -1/5 / Uncut Femmes - 4.5/5 / Burger Kings - 1.5/5 / Panic on the Streets of Springfield - ?/5 / The Man from G.R.A.M.P.A. - ?/5 / Mother and Child Reunion - ?/5 / The Last Barfighter - ?/5

@Sandboy, While Helen and Luanne did still have their unpleasant moments pre-pay dispute, they really ramped up their nastiness once it happened and eventually was resolved which just further supports my belief that they're still carrying a bit of a petty grudge over it all these years later

Junior Camper The Capital City Goofball's Avatar

Boring, bland episode to be the 700th. Yet another Marge and Homer fight, why do they think people enjoy this? Was hyped to see the never before seen room, but it was a let down. 2/5

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Another bit nothing-y season 32 episode. This season isn't shaping up to be the worst, even of the HD seasons, but it's certainly not doing much to stick in the mind. ​C+
    Season 32 Ratings
    Undercover Burns ​B- I, Carumbus ​C- Now Museum, Now You Don't ​D Treehouse of Horror XXXI ​B- The 7 Beer Itch ​D Podcast News ​B Three Dreams Denied ​C+ The Road to Cincinnati B- Sorry Not Sorry B- A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas ​D+ The Dad-Feelings Limited ​B Diary Queen ​C+ Wad Goals ​C Yokel Hero ​D+ Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitars? ​D- Manger Things ​C+ Uncut Femmes ​B Burger Kings ​B- Panic on the Streets of Springfield ​B- Mother and Child Reunion ​B The Man from G.R.A.M.P.A. ​C+ The Last Barfighter ​B+

Finally got around to episode.

FFS, Homer drinks after promising Marge he wouldn't; eventhough, his first drink was a spiked drink. Then he gets kicked out, finds a way to get into Marge's good graces. Whatever...

1/5

Holy shit, 700 episodes. I am extremely proud of the show to achieve this stunning number, despite a worrying amount of them are notoriously flawed, or filling, or exasperatingly terrible. But we are talking about quantity, not quality. And here we are, celebrating the seven hundredth. My sincere congratulations to the team.

The mopey record of milestones of The Simpsons evidences that it was never important to the show to reach such incredible attainments. They always receive publicity and are hyped up, but they never fulfill the expectations. No one of them is epic. No one of them is different than the previous or next episode. And, in my opinion, only two out of seven were good episodes. And no, Manger Things is not one of those two exceptions. Not even close. Theoretically, a Christmas special merged with a flashback story where a secret room of The Simpsons' House is revealed should be an episode to wait for. And, on paper, it had the potential to be a worthy 700th episode. But this one failed on the most basic levels of storytelling, characterizations, humor, continuity, and pretty much everything else. More unnatural dialogues, more forced jokes. And, worst of all, it fails to be remotely interesting despite the potential it had, and if I remember correctly (because I am writing this review with my latest watch being more than a week ago) there was no mention of the milestone except for a little reminder in the title screen gag. The show overdoes self-referential humor in inopportune moments, but when it's the moment to break some rules they limit themselves. Besides, this is the fourth Christmas (un)special the show produces in the last 28 episodes. We had two in season 31 (one aired in May), and the other two in season 32 (this one aired in March). I guess they pushed it back to be the 700th episode, but the final result proves it was an unjustifiable decision. I thought it would have been more coherent if it aired in December. Although, to be honest, I think we have had lost nothing if this episode didn't exist. A nice couch gag created by Bill Plympton, maybe (although subpar to his previous contributions). A little segment featuring Itchy & Scratchy to interrupt which must be their longest absence. Some cute interventions of Bart and Lisa. But not much more.

It starts doubtfully with that Christmas party at the Nuclear Plant. Only the first act and you can realize how awkward and uncoordinated it is. It features just another marriage crisis story. But don't get me wrong. I don't mind that premise if it's executed properly, but this just wasn't the occasion. Marge gets irrationally mad at Homer just because he drinks at the party. She is really unlikable and annoying when gets the role of limiting and controlling Homer and feeling morally superior to him. For starters, it's a little petition and it's not something to make a big scandal about. But, even if he disobeyed her, it's not sensible to push him out of the house and demand him for "one great thing". Why? Why should he do "one great thing" and how that redeems him for his "error"? It seems more like a whim of Marge and that's why her behavior is so annoying. Besides, it's truly annoying when Homer is punished for something he is not responsible for, especially when he doesn't even have the possibility to defend himself. I think it's a situation that is resolved with a "sorry". I am going to play the role of the lawyer of Lenny and Carl here. I didn't think they were had bad intentions when they got Homer drunk. Their actions indeed had bad consequences, but I can believe they only wanted Homer to enjoy the party. Take into account they were drunk themselves and can be as dumb as Homer can be, so it has sense if they thought they were doing something good. I had far worse problems with Mr. Burns, who wants to pass time with the employees and gives them free money for some reason. He lets them vandalize the plant as well. That without mention the dated jokes I didn't even bother to get. And that joke of his ice face... Ugh, what the hell was that?

However, the first act ends relatively strongly with a funny failed searching of Homer for a refugee (with another Uber joke), and he finds a place in the rowdy Flanders' house. A rowdy house because Maude is in labor. Yep, I surely had the same problem as you here. Maude is extremely unrecognizable. I am not exaggerating saying that it was easily one of the worst characterizations of any character ever. She's remarkably hateful, angry, and unpleasant. Always with a serious expression on her face. Always with bad manners and bad attitudes. Always being so aggressive towards Homer. It's incredible how this episode misunderstood who was Maude Flanders. I thought it would have been a tad bit less shocking if she argued he was a bad influence on Rod, but it was never explained why she acts so discourteously so I guess we must deduce it's because she's pregnant. Besides, she said Flanders is a selfish jerk in front of her son, so my solution doesn't have sense either. If she only would change her behavior after giving birth to Todd then I could make an effort to justify this mischaracterization, but this was just wrong. Ned was once again Flanderized but that doesn't surprise anybody, I guess. Instead of delivering the baby, he was doing some Christmas charity. Geez, he's actually a jerk. I don't get why this redeems Homer for being drunk at the party, nor why Marge was in Flanders' house when Maude was in labor, nor why she didn't intervene in that difficult moment. But I thought it was a sweet ending when it's revealed that Todd's middle name is Homer, and I got a smile with the joke of Maggie's second name being Lenny. A drop of creativity in a lake of mediocrity.

Inbetween the exile of Homer from his house and Flanders' and his triumphant return to both of them, Homer lives in the most distant and hidden room of his home: the attic above the garage. I found this part pretty decent, to be fair. At least it is clearly more interesting than everything else in this episode despite it hasn't reached all its potential. It's extremely weird that Moe knows of this place and openly admits he has rented it to an Irish Family with no shyness. But I will assume it's something would do. I actually liked the few scenes of Homer in the attic. We saw him decorating a Christmas tree and preparing a cup of chocolate milk in a little montage. Then there is a typical dumb modern Simpsons' joke of Homer activating rat traps that for some reason made me giggle (and I have to admit I feel a bit silly finding it all right). And a scene where he has spiders on his head that reminded me of the horrible scene from Mobile Homer. But beyond those little jokes, I found appealing the little moments of emotion when Homer listens to his family and is touched by them. I thought this episode was totally artificial but those moments were genuine for me. I especially liked when Homer says groans when Bart says he wants a different father rather than getting mad at him. Talking about Bart, he steals the episode alongside Lisa in the handful of scenes they act like kids, being scared by Itchy & Scratchy or a snowman and missing their father when he was not at home. Finally, two who were well characterized here. I would have liked to see more of them although the scene in the mall was pointless.

I will let Marge resume it for me... "It's not just this one thing. It's a pattern of constant disappointment". That is exactly how I feel about Manger Things and the part of the season run by Al Jean this year. Another subpar, weak, unnatural, boring, and mediocre episode. That's it. With some good moments to prevent it to be a 1/5 but still another episode to avoid.

2/5
    SEASON 32 A - RATINGS

I, Carumbus - 5/5 / Podcast News - 4/5
    The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 3/5
    The Dad-Feeling Limited - 5/5 / Wad Goals - 4/5 / Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitar? - 3/5
    Uncut Femmes - 5/5 / Panic on the Streets of Springfield - 3/5 / The Last Barfighter - 5/5

SEASON 32 B - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 3/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5
    The Seven Beer Itch - 1/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 4/5
    Diary Queen - 3/5 / Yokel Hero - 1/5
    Manger Things - 2/5 / Burger Kings - 2/5 / Mother and Child Reunion - 4/5 / The Man from G.R.A.M.P.A. - 3/5

Nice review, @Szyslak100. I was thinking you already reviewed this one already so I was surprised to see this one now.

Also, you may have some points regarding Lenny & Carl, but I still think they came off as jerks (drunk or not) and felt like plot tools whose only job was to "frame" Homer so the plot could start due to Marge's awful characterization and overreaction.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-22-2021 at 01:30 AM.

@CousinMerl, Additionally, the impression I got from Lenny & Carl is that they didn't come across as being as wasted as Homer was meaning that it gives the impression that they had a bit more awareness of what they were doing.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: B-Boy

Thread Information