Thread: Why didn't Scully ever do a clip show?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Do you want some brownies? Evil Homer's Avatar

Why didn't Scully ever do a clip show?

Jean & Reiss did one, Mirkin did one (actually two because of All Singing All Dancing) Oakley and Weinstein did one, and Jean sans Reiss did one. But why didn't Scully ever do one?

cause he actually has good ideas for episodes, and doesn't run out of ideas.

He didn't want to be that lazy, or never thought of it (is probably the correct answer)

He didn't want people to have side by side comparisons of his show running vs earlier show running (is the answer many people want to hear)

Has a cooking pan on his head Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just an guess, but he might had not aired one because he felt that they were too many in a short time (4 clip shows in 6 seasons), or that he had enough ideas not to do one.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/Love Is A Many Strangled Thing, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Last Traction Hero, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/The 7 Beer Itch.

SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON SO FAR
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5, The Road to Cincinnati: 2.5/5, Sorry Not Sorry: 2/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: 1.5/5
    The Dad Feelings Limited: 4/5
    Diary Queen: ?/5

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    cause he actually has good ideas for episodes, and doesn't run out of ideas.
    Yes, because Mike Scully is a creative genius that totally didn't ruin the show. In all seriousness, clip shows have nothing to do with ideas. Back in the 80's,90's, and early 2000's, nobody had YouTube or anything, so clip shows were important to see your favorite moments. Why didn't Mike Scully do one? Season 9 has one, season 13 has one, perhaps three seasons without a clipshow is just a perfectly normal breathing time.
    The Simpsons, Season 32:

Undercover Burns - 3/5
    I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 5/5
    The 7 Beer Itch- 2/5
    Podcast News- 5/5
    Three Dreams Denied- 1/5
    The Road To Cincinnati- 3/5
    Sorry Not Sorry- 4/5
    A Springfield Summer Christmas For Christmas- 3/5

Junior Camper

simple. he didn't want to. no one wanted to do a clip show. all 5 of them were done out of necessity due to network demands. the one network demand placed on him ("all singing all dancing") was handled by mirkin, and the other seasons had no such necessity - so why would he willingly choose to do an episode that neither the fans nor the writers enjoy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    Yes, because Mike Scully is a creative genius that totally didn't ruin the show.
    totally agree lenny

Pin Pal

The writers always hated doing clip shows because they felt like they were an insult to fans (which is true), and only made them when forced to by FOX. The individual writers were so ashamed they went by pseudonyms. Clips shows were already becoming a thing of the past in general when Scully took over. I'm surprised there even was one in season 13, as by 2002 most shows weren't doing them anymore. Either way, it was no doubt something FOX forced on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    He didn't want to be that lazy, or never thought of it (is probably the correct answer)

He didn't want people to have side by side comparisons of his show running vs earlier show running (is the answer many people want to hear)
    Huh? Scully was totally lazy, or as lazy as you can get when working on the greatest show of all time. He not only streamlined production and let the writers leave early, but he also shrugged off episode drafts like "eh, good enough" and that's what we'd see on TV.

.....okay maybe not to that extent, but the writing wasn't as sharp and witty as it once was, and the rewrite process was shortened. Characters were morphed to fit the plot, rather than vice-versa. Ralph became a walking punch line because funny. Homer was placed in stories he didn't fit because Scully loved him so much. And again, jokes were put above character and story. Remember Homer drawing Lenny and Carl in the shower in "Mom and Pop Art?" They put in a gay joke because funny. I can go on and on but you get the idea.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Watts View Post
    I'm surprised there even was one in season 13, as by 2002 most shows weren't doing them anymore. Either way, it was no doubt something FOX forced on them.
    i'm pretty sure this only happened because they needed one extra episode to fill out the season and were really pressed for time, yet the main writers were unable to finish it (hence why dan castellaneta wrote it). they could've just gone with another 21 episode season but i guess fox wouldn't let them do two in a row.

Unless FOX told him to do one, he wouldn't have. It's not like Friends where they willingly did clip shows every season.

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    Huh? Scully was totally lazy, or as lazy as you can get when working on the greatest show of all time. He not only streamlined production and let the writers leave early, but he also shrugged off episode drafts like "eh, good enough" and that's what we'd see on TV.

.....okay maybe not to that extent, but the writing wasn't as sharp and witty as it once was, and the rewrite process was shortened. Characters were morphed to fit the plot, rather than vice-versa. Ralph became a walking punch line because funny. Homer was placed in stories he didn't fit because Scully loved him so much. And again, jokes were put above character and story. Remember Homer drawing Lenny and Carl in the shower in "Mom and Pop Art?" They put in a gay joke because funny. I can go on and on but you get the idea.
    I mean't not lazy in terms of episode ideas (well personally I wouldn't have an issue with most of his plots), but obviously he was very lazy in other departments

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alura View Post
    simple. he didn't want to. no one wanted to do a clip show. all 5 of them were done out of necessity due to network demands. the one network demand placed on him ("all singing all dancing") was handled by mirkin, and the other seasons had no such necessity - so why would he willingly choose to do an episode that neither the fans nor the writers enjoy?
    Yeah, Scully had fewer episodes to produce per season than previous showrunners.
    SEASON 32 GRADES

Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 1/5 / Podcast News - 4/5
    Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 3.5/5
    A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 3/5 / The Dad-Feelings Limited - 4.5/5
    Diary Queen - ?/5

I still can’t believe The Office did a clip show as late as 2010.

I still can’t believe The Office did a clip show as late as 2010. Great 200 dollar loan opportunities you will find at https://directloantransfer.com/200-dollar-loan/
    Yeah
    time really flies by
    Last edited by samll; 01-06-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Thread Information