Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Three Dreams Denied" (QABF02)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Three Dreams Denied" (QABF02)

Season 32, Episode 7
    Original Airdate: November 22, 2020
    Writer: Danielle Weisberg
    Director: Steven Dean Moore
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: Bart becomes a voiceover actor and Comic Book Guy is humiliated at Comic-Con. Meanwhile, Lisa is set up for a fall.

Previous R&R

Please include a precise rating between 1 (being bad) and 5 (being excellent) with your review comments to ensure your score is counted in the consensus community polling for this episode. No decimals or letter grades, please... although feel free to implement those in your signature file if you'd like to make use of a wider scoring range. Thank you!
    SEASON 32 RANKINGS
    Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4.5/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5
    THOH XXXI = Toy Gory - 5/5 / Into the Homer-verse - 2/5 / Be Nine, Rewind - 4/5
    The 7 Beer Itch - DUD/5 / Podcast News - 3/5 / Three Dreams Denied - ???/5
    The Road to Cincinnati - ???/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - ???/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - ???/5

Wears sneakers for sneaking Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It wasn’t great, which is about what I expected. The Comic Book Guy story was easily the most interesting, although it was pretty easy to see it coming that someone else would get hired by Marvel. The way his issue was resolved with Ralph sticking something in CBG’s ass and CBG getting mad and saying Ralph fixed him or whatever was pretty dumb.

Lisa’s story was the most cliche thing imaginable for a while, and Ben sounded way too old for his age. But at least it took a turn with Ben being a jerk, although I thought he would do something a lot more diabolical than saying there was hot dog juice on her saxophone. Her resolution was a little better than the CBG story; it felt a little more earned, I guess.

The Bart story was pretty blah as well. I guess it made the most sense that kids in school would make fun of Bart for voicing a female character, and I did get a chuckle out of the queen becoming a badass and the over-the-top violence. And it does make sense that the bullies would keep watching the show to hope for more ammo to bully Bart with.

Overall, very mediocre. 2/5
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What a piece of crap. It basically has all the same problems as The 7 Beer Itch, except it's a lot worse. The conflicts are introduced at the end of the second act for some reason, the conflicts are all undercooked and stupid, and the dialogue is shoddy and poor. Some guy on a plane randomly tells Comic Book Guy that if he asks a good question, Marvel may hire him. He tries to, but fails. Wow! Way to build emotion investment. Bart becomes a voice actor by doing one crappy adlibbed line in front of a producer. Then it turns out his character is a girl. I guess that's a decent twist. Everybody mocks him for it and Bart's depressed. After that, in the only decent scene of the episode, Lisa basically tells him to own it and be proud of himself. It's nice enough, but then it's immediately trashed in a scene where the now socially progressive bullies beat him up for identifying as a male. What? Then it turns out the princess is a badass so the bullies lay off Bart. Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to lay off of him when he owned voicing a female character? At least the episode would've had a message then. Lisa's plot is still somehow the worst. Blake gets like zero lines during the first act, but Lisa falls in love with him because he's handsome and has common interests. Nothing new here. Then it turns out he's a sneaky jerk who manipulates Lisa. Yet again, another decent twist, but it goes nowhere. Blake beats Lisa because he cheated and he gets the chair. Then Lisa decides to play for free because why not? Terrible episode with numerous pacing issues and underdeveloped conflicts. Is it just me or is Al Jean getting way worse? It's clear that he's not capable of balancing three plots.

Rating: 1/5
    The Simpsons, Season 32:

Undercover Burns - 3/5
    I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 5/5
    The 7 Beer Itch- 2/5
    Podcast News- 5/5
    Three Dreams Denied- 1/5

Not only that, the credits are now different throughout the QABF production cycle this time. Because Alexander Duke is now the producer, Dominique Braud is now the co-producer who was originally the post production co-producer. And sure enough, Cesar Mazariegos is now an executive story editor, so I guess I was right all along before tonight

@The Abominable Dr. Lenny, I'm gonna wait until reading more reviews on this episode before I put in my two cents, but I wouldn't say this episode comes anywhere close to feeling like The 7 Beer Itch because at least this episode didn't really abandon anything like that episode did with Willie.
    Family Guy Season 19 Ratings - Stewie's First Word: 1.5/5 The Talented Mr. Stewie: .5/5 Boys & Squirrels: 0/5 Cutawayland: 1.5/5 La Famiglia Guy: 0/5 Meg's Wedding: 1.5/5 Wild Wild West: TBD Pawtucket Pat: TBD The First No L: TBD
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: 0/5 Businessly Brunette: .5/5 The Chilly Thrillies: 1/5 Dammmm, Stan: 1.5/5 The Last Ride of the Dodge City Rambler: 0/5 300: 0/5

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@John95 I guess, but this episode's pacing issues seem a lot worse. I personally didn't dislike The 7 Beer Itch as much as most people. It's an admittedly bad episode, but I still found myself at least somewhat enjoying it. I can't say that about this one. If this is the kind of work Al Jean does with half the workload, then that doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. Thank god Matt Selman has a lot of episodes. Al Jean seems to be deteriorating in front of our very eyes. I swear to god, he wasn't this bad last season.

@The Abominable Dr. Lenny, How many more episodes does Al Jean have left this season as sole show runner?

And regarding The 7 Beer Itch, while my opinion on it has soured thanks to all the reviews pointing out it's flaws, I'm still sticking with my 2/5 and will even go as far as to say that I preferred it over the season's THoH.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @The Abominable Dr. Lenny, How many more episodes does Al Jean have left this season as sole show runner?
    9 remaining this production run. 7 of which are likely to air prior to the season finale.

2 of these boast Oliver direction... I'm still optimistic that Sorry Not Sorry will wind up decent.
    Mother and Child Reunion should deliver as well provided that we get motivated J. Stewart Burns.
    Omine has been rather reliable of late so I think The Man from G.R.A.M.P.A. should also be solid.
    I'm not optimistic about the rest... although I'll wager that one of the LaZebnik episodes winds up OK. (I'm putting higher odds on Manger Things.)

Blog Entries

When viewing the 1st act, There were a few things I must notice, one of them is continuity. Bart didn't knew that Homer was Poochie, or that real people voiced them. I mean, He doesn't even know Dad was Poochie? I'm not normally a guy who rants about things like this but there's one bad error there. They basically took away the best part of the episode, and pretended it never existed? All right, that's a point off it's total right there. Just a big, glaring issue there.

We then go to the Comic Con, where at the sign, you can see Another Baby Yoda joke. Guys, that joke wasn't really funny at all. Please stop doing them. Oh, wait, it's another of Disney's plugs, trying to advertise shows and internet memes on The Simpsons again.

So, CBG's dream is to basically to write the greatest panel question? I mean, the episode is bad already but in all fairness this plot has now gone from bad to just plain stupid. WHY is that even a dream? There are other ways that he can get into Marvel, he could become an actor again, like Everyman. God I wish this was over and done now.

Milhouse is back to his creepy stalkerish self with Lisa, no real surprise here, so far, the Lisa plot hasn't been good, now all we wait for now is for Bart's plot, which has still not kicked into gear yet! For the love of god, get the pacing back on and stop focusing on the stupid CBG story.

Blake is actually an evil guy with red eyes. I did not see that coming, but I would've still prefer that he was a robot, some more reasoning will be explained at the end of the review.

Kinda predictable with CBG losing his question, this stil doesn't make me like the story, in fact, it makes me hate it even more! This story is defiantly a 0/5 in my books, I haven't seem such a train wreak in ages!

Lisa subplot seems like a bad rehash of Lisa's Rival, which also reminds me that Allison got another cameo, no more surprises here. Anyway, once again, Lisa loses a girlfriend, I've basically written off this episode now, it cannot redeem itself for me anymore, and we still not into the Bart as the Voice Actor.

Bart doesn't get hired until the middle of the 2nd plot, which is itself poor and shows once again that they can't time the episode timings right.

Bart voices a girl? Looks like he's hating doing what he was trying to do in Bart vs Itchy And Scratchy, for supporting Female rights. I do get this though, because we can't forget that Bart is voiced by a female, so at least there is some reasoning beneath this, unlike the other 2 plots.

And what do you know? After 2 plots, I am still not laughing a lot. Talk about bland episodes, this is one that can go on the pile of not good HD Simpsons episodes. I'm sorry, but I'm not enjoying the current batch of episodes we've had. If the next 2 episodes are big disappointments, then I may not bother tuning into the Christmas episode. However, as it is the 2 episodes I was mostly looking forward to from this bunch, I really doubt this will happen.

WHAT? Lisa is now all for Bart working and following Feminism? She was so against him supporting Feminism in Bart vs Itchy And Scratchy, I don't get it now. Why do they have to change opinions every 2 seasons? However, at least Lisa is not a total Jerkass here. I admire her here.

When seeing the part when the Princess kills many people, I thought "Now that is truly kickass, with the princess". A great unexpected twist there, I think this is easily the best thing in this episode, as it is the ONLY good thing today. If there's one reason on why I would watch this episode again, then this is it. No other reason.

Eh, didn't really care for the ending with Lisa playing for free, I didn't really feel any emotion, as maybe the episode was already too much for me to care about.

Anyway, why did the kid have Red Eyes? It was never explained, and we want an answer! Now he's just basically gonna go away forever, and we will never see him, and we'll never get an answer to this question, which means his red eyes make no sense to me at all! In all fairness, a better ending is that he was a robot all along, that would basically make more sense.

Overall, It was a mess of continuity all the way through, in yet another gagless episode, and yet, despite not looking forward to it, I was still disappointed at the final result. At least it's not as disappointing as Mega-Lo 2. As for it's ranking with the other episodes, It's not as bad as The 7 Beer Itch, but all other episodes that aired this season were better.

My final grade is a very low 1.5/5, however Brad, you can round it to a 2/5.

Sorry for the long rant about the episode.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/Love Is A Many Strangled Thing, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Last Traction Hero, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/The 7 Beer Itch.

SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON SO FAR
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5
    The Road to Cincinnati: ?/5, Sorry Not Sorry: ?/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: ?/5

@Trab Pu Kcip, I noticed a different continuity error regarding VA's and it was them changing the in-universe person that voices Scratchy.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

3 Dreams Denied

That was totally nothing. Two of the plots, comic book guy, and lisa, were totally nothing. It was so predictable. Comic Book Guy goes to an event where he can get hired if he asks a good question, and then what the fuck, this guy actually forgets his question and it ends. Nothing happened. Lisa's plot was predictable too. The boy ended up cheating to beat Lisa and get the seat. It was pretty nothing too. Bart's plot was pretty good though. I did enjoy seeing him do voice-overs, and Lisa encouraging him to be himself was nice. Bart's plot was the only good one. If they made this the whole episode, then it might have been really good, but yeah no. I did laugh at the LSD gummies joke, Bart telling Homer he makes more in a minute than Homer makes in a month, and Comic Book Guy's suit was pretty cool, but yeah this was boring and nothing for the most part.

2/5
    Last edited by orangemo; 11-22-2020 at 08:25 PM.
    Simpsons S32 ratings: - "Undercover Burns" - 2/5 - "I, Carumbus" - 4/5 - "Now Museum, Now You Don't" - 2/5 - "Treehouse 31" - 3.5/5 - "7 Beer Itch" - 2/5 - "Podcast News" - 3.5/5 - "Three Dreams Denied" - 1.5/5 - "Road to Cincinnati" - TBA - "Sorry Not Sorry" - TBA - "A Springfield Summer Christmas" -
    TBA

Bless the Harts S2 ratings: - "Violet's Secret" - 4/5 - "Last Supper" - 3.5/5 - "My Best Frenda" - 4.5/5 - "Dead Mall" - 4/5 - "Pound Pinchers" - 4/5 - "McEntire Truth" - 3.5/5 - "Mega-Lo-Memories 2" - 5/5 - "Pumped" - TBA - "Invasion of the Potty Snatcher" - TBA

Bob's Burgers S11 ratings: - "Dream a Little Bob of Bob" - 3.5/5 - "Worms of In-Rear-ment" - 4/5 - "Copa-Bob-bana" - 4/5 - "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" - 4/5 - "Fast Time Capsules at Wagstaff School" - 4.5/5 - "Bob Belcher and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Kids" - 4.5/5 - "Diarrhea of a Poopy Kid" 3.5/5 - "Terminalator: Terminals of Endearment" - TBA - "Mommy Boy" - TBA - "Yachty or Nice" - TBA

Family Guy S19 ratings: - "Stewie's First Word" - 1/5 - "Talented Mr. Stewie" - 3.5/5 - "Boys & Squirrels" - 0.5/5 - "Cutawayland" - 2.5/5 - "La Famiglia" - 0.5/5 - "Meg's Wedding" - 1.5/5 - "Wild Wild West" - 3.5/5 - "Pawtucket Pat" - TBA - "First No L" - TBA

Fox stop-motion christmas special: - TBA

Great North ratings:

Duncanville S2 ratings:

Blog Entries

@Trab Pu Kcip, I noticed a different continuity error regarding VA's and it was them changing the in-universe person that voices Scratchy.
    Yep, there was also that as well. Yet another continuity break that should've never happened.

This episode felt like it dragged on forever whilst also feeling like it went by pretty quickly. How do you do that?

Also, it was pretty jarring hearing a grown man's voice coming out of Ben, who is supposed to be an eight year old boy.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

okay,

where to begin? CBG and Edna were an item.. why didn't they talk like they knew each other? The premise had already been done with Martin's Mom but this time it was the genesis for CBG's comicon trip. I really hate what they've turned seymour into.
    maybe I'll come back and write a more complete review but I don't think I have the motivation to.

1/5
    Last edited by Frankbags; 11-22-2020 at 08:31 PM.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Three very underdeveloped story threads that never really come into their own or cohere, but salvaged by a few isolated moments that made me smile. I liked the dining table scene and Lisa supporting Bart (Lisa was characterised really well as an 8-year old this week). There were also a lot of cool background visual gags to soak in. A generous 2.5 from me rounded down to a 2.
    SEASON 32 GRADES

Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 1/5 / Podcast News - 4/5
    Three Dreams Denied - 2.5/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - ?/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - ?/5
    A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - ?/5

In all honesty, I found this episode to be really lame. It was not as bad as 'Seven-Beer Snitch' and at handled the three-plot structure with the Comic Book Guy story (about him going to a comic convention for a chance to win a prize in the form of work at Marvel), Lisa's story (with her bonding with the new boy at school, a pretty saxophone player named Blake who has big blue eyes) and Bart's story (with him opening his eyes up to the world of cartoon voice acting and eventually making his TV voice acting debut) decently without making a mess of it all (especially since the CBG plot felt really disconnected from the other two that they were about the Simpsons) but it never made much of an impression, like at all. It just felt so dull, lifeless and lazy in the end. Neither of the premises were bad ones (not even Lisa's very uninspired tale, even with that last half which took another turn than I had expected) but they all felt really empty and like big pieces of nothing special, and I couldn't really care much about them at all. I didn't have high hopes for the episode and felt rather optimistic in a sense, but I was still let down. It came off as a big and bland "meh" to me.

Comic Book Guy's comic convention story had a good premise (plus there's been a while since the last CBG story). The beginning with him getting his hands on a rare unopened Radioactive Man doll and selling it for a sum online so he finally could afford a trip to the Comicalooza convention was a decent start (but i didn't like the Agnes and Skinner stuff, mainly as the latter was really pathetic), CBGs Doctor Octopus suit with the four arms was a decent gag (as was the scene on the plane with the convention old timer) The convention stuff was a little too cluttered with sign jokes and sight gags all over the place (though the Paul Rudd bit gave me a chuckle). CBG's quest of making ultimate Q&A question to win a job at Marvel was a good main plot thread, but him having misplaced the note as it was his turn was a really lazy cop-out even though it was obvious he wouldn't win (Why not just have the guy ahead of him ending up asking the same question and winning? DC joke was OK though). Then there's the last scene with him losing all enthusiasm for his mean sarcasm and his job & then it's just kinda half-assedly solve it right away with Ralph being there and restores the old CBG by being annoying and briefly leaving his popsicle stick in CBGs asscrack (although I liked that Ralph showed empathy). Nice premise but pretty tame and anticlimactic, mostly feeling like a reason to do comic book & nerd jokes.

Lisa's story with her getting a new crush was the weakest story of the three. It was a very basic story of Lisa being at school and meeting this blue-eyed Blake kid (voiced by Ben Platt) who's in the same music class as her (also platying the saxophone) and they seem to hit it off really well, but they had no chemistry & Blake's voice being that of a grown man was off-putting (why not hire someone who can sound like a kid?). It was a stale story and didn't like really like anything nor did I hate anything, except for Milhouse butting into Lisa and Blake's moment (I don't like stalker Milhouse). Then it turns out Blake is evil and plans to ruin Lisa's chance at getting the first chair (twist was fine, though him having evil red eyes was just silly) The end was just lame with him revealing he dipped Lisa's sax reed in hot dog grease and she plays poorly and he does too (but slightly better) and wins & Lisa just pathethically follows him while yelling and the plot is dropped (where was the though-as-nails fighter Lisa? Also, why didn't she just go tell Largo and Skinner about Blake's trickery? He revealed his deed so the option was there. So stupid). Lisa remains sad but regains her hopes and dreams while playing sax at the mall, there's a weird future scene with old Lisa and & R2-D2 Homer & then they end on a present day scene of her performing at a jazz club. What?). I didn't care for this one, maybe not at all.

Bart's story about him meeting, being inspired & helped by the temporary Comic Book Guy to become a voice actor for one job was the best of the three. It had an alright start with Bart meeting the new CBG and hangs with him (I like how Bart has no idea whom Michael Caine is) and going to the recording studio, though mostly just enjoyed Bart being enthusiastic about something (and him doing voices was kinda fun). Bart being boastful to Homer was entertaining and the TV showing was decent (the "Overflow Room" gag did make me laugh). It was contrived that Bart wasn't informed he voiced a princess (and the bullies conveniently invited so they could end up mocking him for voicing a girl was forced), but I liked the twist of Bart voicing a girl (plus good in-joke) & Lisa inspiring him to stand up for himself was a nice moment (although the bullies beating him up for identifying as male was nonsensical. They were immature sexists who mocked him the other day so why the opposite now? Also this just set Bart back to be depressed, making Lisa's scene pointless). I liked the end turn with the princess turning out a badass which vindicates Bart, but the character being an indiscriminate murderer was weird (I guess a take on modern TV show edginess?). It was flawed but kinda nice (the big problem was that it was really underdeveloped; I felt that it should've been its own episode).

All in all, it was a really unremarkable episode with only really the Bart story making an impression (along with a few bits and pieces of the CBG one). For the more part of the episode I felt rather uninterested by it. I guess each of the stories could have worked, especially the Bart one (especially as a full story or regular subplot sharing episode with one other plot), but the writing wasn't up to par and each one ended up really lame, bland and sometimes actually pretty lazy, most of the jokes and gags fell flat and it felt so, well, soulless (or rather lifeless, to repeat what I said earlier in the review). It wasn't one of the most horrible episodes ever or anything and had some good moments here and there, such a few good gags (such as the "Overflow Room", which was probably the biggest laugh for me, and maybe the bit with Largo locking himself inside a closet to eat gummy bears with headphone on) and Lisa's inspirational scene with Bart (even though the writing botched it by rendering it pointless after the next scene), but it all felt so dull and boringly basic (in a sense) and I cared very little. It was one big sigh from me and that mean one big below average episode.

2/5 is the obvious rating for me here. It was a decent attempt at a multi-plot regular episode and had its bright spots, but it didn't come together in the end and just left me feeling really unimpressed and like I had lost or gained nothing. Sure, it could've been as ghastly as 'Seven-Beer Snitch' but the way it was so bland, unremarkable and unengaging is almost as bad as I really couldn't feel much about it in the end. It's just sort of there.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-24-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5 / Treehouse Of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 1/5 / Podcast News - 3.5/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - TBD / Sorry Not Sorry - TBD / A Springfield Summer Christmas For Christmas - TBD

I noticed that right away, I thought "Doesn't June Bellamy voice both Itchy and Scratchy" but I guess that can be explained away by she retired or something.

Just a bit of pointless trivia: In the early scene where Comic Book Guy dons his homemade Doctor Octopus arms and uses them to feed himself junk food, the music that played did feel familiar to me (as someone who likes film scores) and it struck me it was a take on the music in the scene from 'Spider-Man 2' where the Doc Ock arms are revealed. Neat bit of musical reference.

Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-23-2020 at 07:30 AM.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

Time for the industries reviews: Den of Geek gave this episode a 3/5, with the guys at Bubbleblabber once again deciding to praise the episode, despite all of our bad reviews and giving it a 7.5/10

At IMDb, after 38 reviews, the episode stands at 6.1/10, or rounded to a 3/5.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

A Cut Above The Rest BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode was pretty decent. CBG's plot was weak and I cringed at Ralph putting and then taking the popsicle stick out of his asscrack. WTF? Lisa's story had a sweet ending but I really wish there was some karma for Blake who already annoyed me with his stupid blue eyes. Bart's story was also really good. I love how he voiced a girl considering Nancy Cartwright voices him.

Also, can someone please punch Milhouse in the gut?

I give it a 4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

PRELIMS:

Thanks to the Football boost, The Simpsons recorded a 1.5 rating with 4.682 million viewers tuning in

Of course, being straight after the NFL, it was once again the Number 1 rated animated tv show for the week!

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Blog Entries

I don't think this episode was that bad but it certainly has its flaws. I'm not a fan of their format of using 3 different stories and just mix them all over the episode, while they could have just made another anthology episode and make it more streamlined. I'm always one of the first to say that that I like having fewer plots and give them enough screentime so they can tell a decent plot. While I did like at least a few of these plots they all felt rather undercooked. Even while this is not an anthology episode I'll review it as such:

Comic Book Guy story: Its my favorite of the 3 and its kinda decent. This is the one story that I would have liked to see a full episode off. At the start he gets into a conversation with Agnes while it didn't seem like they remember that they dated before. They left out Kumiko which is probably for the better. The airplane scene was pretty funny with the guy next to CBG wanting to move over and ''Groot'' admitting his real name. The Dr. Octopus suit actually functioning despite being of such poor quality felt a bit to goofy. Paul Rudd had a short but decent cameo. The plot kicking in with CBG wanting to write a question good enough to join Marvel was good enough to make me look forward to how it ends. While the panel scenes were pretty funny like the real guards arresting the apparently fake guards and the other questions by 2 other nerds, it felt rather dissapointing that CBG never got to ask his. I thought the ending with Ralph was alright to get him back to how he used to be. Its the strongest segment and gets about a 3.5/5

Lisa story: Easily the weakest one. Lisa having a crush on someone who seemingly has a talent is so overdone and just puts me into sleep almost instantly. At least there was a twist of this kid being more ''evil'' as he revealed his red eyes, which also felt to goofy. The blue eyes also felt out of place with the rest of the kids and can be distracting. Some good things I can say is that Largo has some funny scenes and that I like seeing more of Lisa and her saxophone without everyone getting annoyed by it. The worst part is that the new kid was never dealt with after he framed Lisa for losing her seat, so the ending felt rather unsatisfying. They just have her perform at a mall and then we get to see her in the future for winning a pretzel. The plot felt undercooked and the new kid sounded to old, so it gets a low 1.5/5

Bart's story: It was average at best. It felt the shortest and they spend to much time with Bart's conversations with CBG's substitute. I like the idea of Bart becoming a voice actor and it could make for a good full episode. I also liked the joke of having Bart do Nelsons voice which his voice actress actually does. The dinner scene was alright with Bart showing off how much he gets paid and thinks that its such an easy job. I didn't get the joke with the ''overflow room'', probably because it has the most nagging people. I thought the reveal of Bart having voiced a female was probably one of the better moments and came as a surprise. Also really liked that it turned out this character is a full blown killer for apparently no reason. Weak first half, pretty strong second half. I'll give this a 2.5/5

At least 2 out of the 3 plots were entertaining and could have made for good full lengthened episodes. With how it turned now there was a lot of pacing issues and underdeveloped stories. It has a few good jokes and I liked most of the characterisation, with Comic Book Guy being my favorite. Its certainly not as bad as Seven-Beer Snitch but it is also not anywhere near as good as I, Carumbus, comparing them as anthology episodes. There were surprisingly few scenes with Homer/ Marge and other secondary characters. The celebrities were not that bad but I was not a fan of whoever voiced the saxophone kid. Overall this just barely reaches an average rating and should probably be below average. Its a 2.5/5 but I'm really not sure whether to round it up or down. I might regret this decision but:

3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

GHOST TYRANT KICKS OUT TRUMP! D DEBBS's Avatar

Hey, Bart!

Just to let you know, Jimmy Ahrens, who voices Marcie in the Peanuts cartoons, is a boy just like you....in fact, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving was on PBS last night and you heard his/Marcie's voice!!!!

Blog Entries

You know, this episode title is kind of a parody/reference to "Montage of a Dream Deferred" by Langston Hughes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montag...Dream_Deferred

Quote Originally Posted by DorianOrSomething View Post
    I noticed that right away, I thought "Doesn't June Bellamy voice both Itchy and Scratchy" but I guess that can be explained away by she retired or something.
    I had the same thought as well. But with the other continuity error regarding The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show that @Trab Pu Kcip pointed out it, seems more like a blatant retcon.

* Had Bart's plot ended with the scene of him getting beaten up it would've automatically made it the worst of the three in my opinion as it would've been another instance within the past few years of the show just taking a shit all over him (E My Sports and Go Big or HGo Homer) and it also would've been a retread of the subplot from The Last Temptation of Homer which ended on a similar scene of unfunny mean-spiritedness. Of course, as is the scene still invalidates the one that came right before it but at least that's as far as they decided to take it.

* I hope I'm not in a minority of people who hated the fact that the Dr. Octopus suit was alive. To me, it's the same levels of "No, just no!" as the robot Marges', the sentient stained glass windows and Burns fighting the living Frank suit if you're someone who doesn't consider that scene to be a result of Burns hallucinating.

* I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the lack of Comic Book Guy's wife outside of a brief allusion to her (which I'll go more into shorty). One would think that she should've come along and I can't think of any other reason why she couldn't (especially since she is voiced by Tress) other than I guess the writers felt it was better for CBG to have nobody but his side when his dreams are shattered and get his confidence back not through someone who actually cares about him (or not, which I'll still be getting to) but through a way that was just half-assed and stupid. And speaking of Kumiko, if the implication from the sticky note she left on CBC's computer about being out of town to take care of her father for at least a month was actually to cover up that she's cheating on him, then that's just awful and unfunny.

1.5/5, rounded up to a 2/5. Possible hot-take, but for as very first drafty as The 7 Beer Itch was I'd rather rewatch that episode before this one even though they're both far from the worst I've seen from the show.

* I hope I'm not in a minority of people who hated the fact that the Dr. Octopus suit was alive. To me, it's the same levels of "No, just no!" as the robot Marges', the sentient stained glass windows and Burns fighting the living Frank suit if you're someone who doesn't consider that scene to be a result of Burns hallucinating.
    I wasn't under the impression that it was alive, but rather that it was mechanized and controlled it somehow (by body movements, maybe?). If they really intended it to be alive, it wouldn't really bother me too much as the show has done much more extremely cartoonish stuff in the modern era and I do mean way over the top things (the Marge robots of 'Hail To The Teeth' which you mentioned was way more ridiculous, for instance. I still have trouble believing that was actually a canon episode).

I do agree that Kumiko's absence was dumb. She wasn't important to the plot, but they could at least have given her a brief scene (like a phone call to her husband) instead of handwaving her away with the note telling us about why she's completely absent. Maybe her rare appearances is because the writers somehow have problems coming up with ways to incorporate her?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-23-2020 at 02:33 PM.

@CousinMerl, If that was the case regarding the Dr. Octopus outfit, much like Burns fighting Frank possibly being due to the former hallucinating they failed to make that clear.

@John95, I guess they should have made it more clear in that case. Besides, the one scene where it could be argued the arms were alive were the first scene (him using them to feed himself junk food), but it felt pretty apparent to me it was meant as a gag scene. Other than that, I had an easy time buying it was just a convention costume.

Also did anyone else notice when watching it last night that instead of starting with the Simpsons chorus, it cut right to the couch gag (as in it faded in abruptly)?

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Writers, for the last time, 8 YEAR OLD CHILDREN WHO HAVE ONLY BARELY STARTED LEARNING MULTIPLICATION DO NOT HAVE SEXUAL ATTRACTIONS TO BOYS THEIR AGE WHO SOUND LIKE A 30 YEAR OLD MAN.

God even Michael Jackson understands what childhood is normally like more than the writers.
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Thread Information