Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Warrin' Priests" (ZABF12 & ZABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Warrin' Priests" (ZABF12 & ZABF13)

Season 31, Episodes 19 & 20
    Original Airdates: April 26, 2020 (Part 1) & May 3, 2020 (Part 2)
    Writer: Pete Holmes
    Directors: Bob Anderson (Part 1) / Matthew Nastuk (Part 2)
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: When Bode, a young charismatic new preacher, comes to town and shakes things up at church, Reverend Lovejoy investigates his mysterious past. In Michigan, Reverend Lovejoy uncovers the reason why Bode left and came to Springfield. When the congregation learns of his crime, they must decide whether to banish their new priest.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - Part 1 - B+
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - Part 1 | Part 2 - 4 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - Part 1 - 3 / 10 | Part 2 - 5 / 10
    - Puzzled Pagan Presents - Patrick Gaertner - Part 1 | Part 2
    - The Game of Nerds - Michael Vargas - Part 1 | Part 2
    - Me Blog Write Good - Mike Amato - Part 1 | Part 2
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - Part 1 - B+ | Part 2 - B-
    - Max Power {YouTube}

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD - Part 1 | Part 2

TV VIEWERSHIP
    - Part 1 - 0.5 Rating in Adults 18-49 - 1.35 Million Viewers
    - Part 2 - 0.5 Rating in Adults 18-49 - 1.36 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 1.89 / 5 (as of September 19th / 19 votes)

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode
    BloodySimpsonChibi {1} / Brad Lascelle {2} / CousinMerl {2} / Financial Panther {1} / Frankbags {2} / GlitterCat {1} / John95 {1} / Kaine {2} / Nameless {2} / Net {2}
    Nitsy {2} / orangemo {3} / Sandurt {3} / The Abominable Dr. Lenny {2} / Trab Pu Kcip {1} / Shoskin {2} / Szyslak100 {2} / Venomrabbit {2} / Wile E. the Brain {3}

IMDB User Rating
    - Part 1 - 6.0 / 10 (as of September 27th / 365 users)
    - Part 2 - 5.7 / 10 (as of September 27th / 334 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 10-16-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    SEASON 32 RANKINGS
    Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4.5/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5
    THOH XXXI = Toy Gory - 5/5 / Into the Homer-verse - 2/5 / Be Nine, Rewind - 4/5
    The 7 Beer Itch - DUD/5 / Podcast News - 3/5 / Three Dreams Denied - ???/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - ???/5
    Sorry Not Sorry - 3.5/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 4/5 / The Dad-Feelings Limited - 4.5/5

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

... no reviews yet? That's odd. Usually by the time I get to see it there's about four or five.
    Too early for a number score, might as well wait until part 2 but so far... not really rocking my socks off or anyting, gotta say. Not exactly terrible either, there's some plusses. For a start, it's very Lovejoy heavy. Heck, I think most of the Simpson family didn't have many lines and were mostly just there because they're usually the mains. But at the same time, it's not their ep so far (despite the poster putting Lisa at the center top) though neither of them are especially likeable (I mean, I guess that's not a major shock) and Bode isn't that interesting so far, being overly perfect as an obvious setup for a fall... there's two ways that could go maybe he is a bad guy or maybe he just messed up bad, is genuinely trying to make a change and Tim's gonna drag him through his past again... the latter would definitely be the more interesting option. Still, he's not especially great right now. And the mystery of what this new one-timer did isn't exactly "Who Shot Mr Burns". Maybe it would be better off as an extended ep like the Great Phatsby.
    They do have a lot of good jokes though, like Moe cancelling the hit on himself, the trains scene and so on. Not that there's no weaker parts either (really, do we need to see Shauna in... what, sixty or so percent of the episodes this season? She's not as repetitive as the Crazy Cat Lady but the latter's schtick was at least funny at first)

Guess I'll just have to see how the rest pans out before I settle on a rating. Might as well do both at once since the thread's for both parts.

I wasn't expecting much from the premise and I think Pete Holmes is a funny guy, I just expected another episode where Lovejoy gets replaced by some hotshot pastor but I got a lot more than that.

The plot moved along nicely and all the gags made me chuckle but didn't take too much room in this episode. The meditative animation is one of the first in a long time that worked for me, there used to be more moments of disjointed animation set to music in the earlier episodes and the music and visuals always worked for me, I thought tonight's moment worked very well.. the meta joke was funny as well.

Bode isn't the most interesting character.. but the rest of the cast was great.. all the dynamics between the characters felt genuine and fit the characters... except for the main choir guy. Kevin Michael Richardson has a great bolstering voice but the character design was just weird.. like it was too close to a family guy character, it's probably because he voiced a few characters.. it just felt weird to me, not enough to dock a point.

4/5

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Blog Entries

So far it’s a 4/5 I laughed a few times and the animation is really impressive. You feel sorry for Lovejoy just because their personalities are different.
    Simpsons S32 ratings: - "Undercover Burns" - 1.5/5 - "I, Carumbus" - 4/5 - "Now Museum, Now You Don't" - 1.5/5 - "Treehouse 31" - 3.5/5 - "7 Beer Itch" - 1.5/5 - "Podcast News" - 3.5/5 - "Three Dreams Denied" - 1.5/5 - "Road to Cincinnati" - 1.5/5 - "Sorry Not Sorry" - 3.5/5 - "A Springfield Summer Christmas" - 2/5 - "Dad-Feelings Limited" - 4/5

Bless the Harts S2 ratings: - "Violet's Secret" - 4/5 - "Last Supper" - 3.5/5 - "My Best Frenda" - 4.5/5 - "Dead Mall" - 4/5 - "Pound Pinchers" - 4/5 - "McEntire Truth" - 3.5/5 - "Mega Lo Memories: Part Deux" - 4.75/5 - "Pumped" - 4/5 - "Invasion of the Potty Snatcher" - 2.75/5

Bob's Burgers S11 ratings: - "Dream a Little Bob of Bob" - 3.5/5 - "Worms of In-Rear-ment" - 4/5 - "Copa-Bob-bana" - 4/5 - "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" - 4/5 - "Fast Time Capsules at Wagstaff School" - 4.5/5 - "Bob Belcher and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Kids" - 4.5/5 - "Diarrhea of a Poopy Kid" 3.5/5 - "Terminalator: Terminals of Endearment" - 4/5 - "Mommy Boy" - 3.5/5 - "Yachty or Nice" - 3.5/5

Family Guy S19 ratings: - "Stewie's First Word" - 1/5 - "Talented Mr. Stewie" - 3.5/5 - "Boys & Squirrels" - 0.5/5 - "Cutawayland" - 2.5/5 - "La Famiglia" - 0.5/5 - "Meg's Wedding" - 1.5/5 - "Wild Wild West" - 3.5/5 - "Pawtucket Pat" - 1.5/5 - "First No L" - 1/5

Great North ratings: - "Sexi Moose Adventure" - 4/5

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

Why is this a 2 parter

0/5

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: binary

The A.V. Club B+
    I paid attention to the last paragraph
    As to next week’s thrilling conclusion of “Warrin’ Priests.” I won’t be here, sadly, as the A.V. Club, in their infinite, and infinitely patient, wisdom (and, you know, other reasons) have decided that the readership numbers have finally sunk low enough for this to be the last ever regular TV Club Simpsons review. (They did give me the finale later in May, which is nice, so I’ll see you then.) Look, I know I’m often tough on a show I have—like Pete Holmes—loved unreservedly for a long, long time. But writing these reviews has been, and always will be, an honor, as is any tangential connection to this, still one of the best television shows of all time. I’ll be live-tweeting next Sunday’s conclusion, mainly out of habit—and because I genuinely liked this episode and want to see how it ends. Good to go out on a high note, don’t you think? Anyway, thanks, you knuckleknobs. I’ll be around.
    As I understand, further, AVC will probably do reviews only on the end of season at all episodes(?), and, I suppose, on the premier once.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 15/12/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play 18. 24 Minutes/Treehouse of Horror XVII 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Treehouse of Horror XIX 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. The Way of the Dog/The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 12 > 20 > 25 > 29 > 10 > 17 > 26 > 24 > 15 > 18 > 13 > 14 > 28 > 19 > 31 > 30 > 16 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

When I watched the couch gag of the part 1 of this episode for the first time, I thought the Simpson family had become invisible, but actually was just are living clothes. The Simpson family appears semi naked in the backstage shivering at end of the couch gag.

I'm basically gonna do what @Venomrabbit is doing and just wait until part 2 airs before rating this. But... Yeah, so far it's not really pulling me in. Granted, by the time part 2 airs this likely won't be alongside Thanksgiving of Horror as one of the season's worst, but so far I'm left wondering why this even is a two-parter.

Maybe it's just me but I took real issue with the depictions of the stained glass windows coming to life, way to FG for my tastes and was as much of a Big Lipped Alligator Moment as the Donkey Kong reference from last week. Also, I spotted an animation error where Burns' body wasn't completely out of frame at the end of the scene with him and the person attempting to kill him.
    Family Guy Season 19 Ratings - Stewie's First Word: 1.5/5 The Talented Mr. Stewie: .5/5 Boys & Squirrels: 0/5 Cutawayland: 1.5/5 La Famiglia Guy: 0/5 Meg's Wedding: 1.5/5 Wild Wild West: 3.5/5 Pawtucket Pat: TBD The First No L: TBD
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: 0/5 Businessly Brunette: .5/5 The Chilly Thrillies: 1/5 Dammmm, Stan: 1.5/5 The Last Ride of the Dodge City Rambler: 0/5 300: 0/5 Yule. Tide. Repeat: 1.5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    I'm basically gonna do what @Venomrabbit is doing and just wait until part 2 airs before rating this. But... Yeah, so far it's not really pulling me in. Granted, by the time part 2 airs this likely won't be alongside Thanksgiving of Horror as one of the season's worst, but so far I'm left wondering why this even is a two-parter.

Maybe it's just me but I took real issue with the depictions of the stained glass windows coming to life, way to FG for my tastes and was as much of a Big Lipped Alligator Moment as the Donkey Kong reference from last week. Also, I spotted an animation error where Burns' body wasn't completely out of frame at the end of the scene with him and the person attempting to kill him.
    You thought Thanksgiving of Horror was the worst. I liked that one a lot and a lot of people loved it.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Maybe it's just me but I took real issue with the depictions of the stained glass windows coming to life, way to FG for my tastes and was as much of a Big Lipped Alligator Moment as the Donkey Kong reference from last week..
    No it's not just you, I really had a problem with these jokes (also the guy who's not alive at the beginning). I don't like that kind of humor in such a show. Especially with such an episode who, for the most part, tries to handle the subject of faith in God pretty seriously with the speech of the new priest that got the Springfieldians hooked.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 3.5/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 1/5 / Podcast News - 3.5/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 1.5/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - 3/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 2.5/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 3.5/5 / The Dad-feelings Limited - TBA / Diary Queen - TBA / Wad Goals - TBA / Yokel Hero - TBA / Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitars? - TBA / Manger Things - TBA

Best / Worst from each season (excluding clip shows)
    1. Krusty Gets Busted / Homer's Odyssey - 2. Two Cars In Every Garage and Three Eyes On Every Fish / Dancin' Homer - 3. Homer at the Bat / The Otto Show - 4. Last Exit to Springfield / Brother from the Same Planet - 5. Cape Feare / Bart's Inner Child - 6. Homer the Great / Bart's Girlfriend - 7. Raging Abe Simpson (...) / Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming - 8. Homer vs. the 18th Amendment / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson - 9. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson / Lisa the Simpson - 10. Mom and Pop Art / They Saved Lisa's Brain - 11. E-I-E-I-D'oh / Eight Misbehavin - 12. Trilogy of Error / Worst Episode Ever - 13. The Blunder Years / The Lastest Gun in the West - 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation / Pray Anything - 15. My Mother the Carjacker / Bart-Mangled Banner - 16. Thank God, It's Doomsday / Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass - 17. The Seemingly Never-Ending Story / The Bonfire of the Manatees - 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple / Little Big Girl - 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Hubsband and Knives - 20. Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes / The Burns and the Bees - 21. Moe Letter Blues / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed - 22. Flaming Moe / Elementary School Musical - 23. Holidays of Future Passed / Lisa Goes Gaga - 24. Dangers on a Train / Love Is a Many-Splintered Thing - 25. Steal This Episode / The Man Who Grew Too Much - 26. The Princess Guide / The Musk Who Fell to Earth - 27. Halloween of Horror / Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 28. There Will Be Buds / Dad Behavior - 29. King Leer / Frink Gets Testy - 30. Daddicus Finch / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 31. Livin' la Pura Vida / Better Off Ned

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by The B View Post
    The A.V. Club B+
    I paid attention to the last paragraph

As I understand, further, AVC will probably do reviews only on the end of season at all episodes(?), and, I suppose, on the premier once.
    That really sucks. I love reading the AVC reviews. Seems like a number of regular reviewers have given up the regularity.
    Get woke, go broke

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    That really sucks. I love reading the AVC reviews. Seems like a number of regular reviewers have given up the regularity.
    That's probably why they only did one episode of Duncanville and were going to do Bless the Harts but then backed out, low viewership. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped Bob's Burgers AV Club reviews too, but the question is, there's only 3 episodes left, that's right 3. At that point you might as well finish the whole season.

Blog Entries

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Kissing first place goodbye Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wish there were separate threads for each episode. Who Shot Mr. Burns had a thread for each part. I’ll wait to give my full thoughts after the second one, but this wasn’t great. It had a lot of Bode giving long speeches, which was obviously to take up time. I think they could’ve done a little more to set the plot in motion.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Yeah I don't get Jesse from bubble, he rated last weeks' episode higher than this one..
    While I don't disagree that Lovejoy getting replaced is a b-plot that's been done countless times.. and it could have been a little deeper but to call it the worst episode of the simpsons he has reviewed is hyperbolic. Maybe he has something against Pete holmes.. I thought Pete did a great job crafting a story in the simpsons universe.. and all the jokes worked for me.. Grandpa playing bingo with a calendar was great.. compared to last week's episode that felt like another fox animation night show than the simpsons. Jesse seems to want to pick at the fact that it's a 2 part.. 3/4 of the review is about other episodes that broke the mold.

-I have to agree that while the jokes with the stained glass window and the guy who’s not alive aren’t terrible, they are at a level of zaniness that I would expect more from a show like American Dad or Family Guy and I’m not as big of a fan of it on The Simps.
    -Poor Disco S.
    -It’s good to see a reference to Lovejoy’s train hobby
    -Okay, we get it, this guy is perfect.
    -I was hoping they’d at least reference the fact that Lisa is still a Buddhist.
    -I feel really bad for Lovejoy now.
    -Aww, Bing is cute and pathetic.
    -I’m liking the animation during this meditation sequence, but I’m very aware that this i just filler.

This episode just...wasn't much. I'm alright with the show tackling religion again--it's been done decently in the past, though the last attempt with Tod Flanders' doubt was handled pretty poorly, so I'm all for a second, better attempt. We've seen Lovejoy struggle to reach his flock before ("In Marge We Trust") so the plot immediately does feel a little familiar. Still, it's nice to see the town going through a "religious revival", as Lisa described it. Most of the episode consists of us viewing this--the different ways that Bode is inspiring and helping the townspeople. Of course Bode is being portrayed as perfectly as possible to set us up for the "dirt" Lovejoy has dug up. I'm just sure that this, that is being shown over and over how great Bode is, carries an episode. Why does this need to be a two-parter? A conflict between Lovejoy and a new priest could carry an episode, but not the setup to that conflict. I'll hold some judgment until the second part airs to see how much this pays off, but it was an awful lot of "introduction".

3/5

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

It's hard to review and rate half an episode so I am mulling over waiting to post my thoughts until I've seen the second part. Still might decide to split them up and review Part I now and Part II next week.

I also thought the living stained glass windows walking off and then moving back again was too much. It was too cartoonish and jarring, especially as the rest of the episode was pretty down to earth. The Donkey Kong scene in last week's episode also had that problem, but I didn't mind that as much as it was more of a brief throwaway gag and the episode was more over the top than this one.

And about that Mr. Burns bit, I missed that error and I went back and checked. Yikes. Always bugs me when that happens in animated shows. You think they would be more careful when it comes to avoiding such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I wish there were separate threads for each episode. Who Shot Mr. Burns had a thread for each part.
    I think it feels a but odd to have them mashed together in the same thread. Like you said, WSMB Part I & II had their thread yet these do not. It would have been one thing if they aired together, like with 'The Great Phatsby', but this is an two parter that airs one week apart. Still, I can understand the argument that it would make it easier to have them both in the same thread and so while not an issue, it made me wonder.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-27-2020 at 11:17 AM.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

I kinda don't wanna review since this is a two parter but.......4/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    You can tell Dennis really loved the show and he often had great insights to share about it. Checking his reviews has been a habit of mine for well over half a decade. I'll miss them.
    SEASON 32 GRADES

Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 1/5 / Podcast News - 4/5
    Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 3.5/5
    A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 3/5 / The Dad-Feelings Limited - 4.5/5

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

The episode broke the bottom… of viewership. Rating 0.5 and 1.35 mil people. In comparing, last year season in this time broke bottom twice (I am Dancing as Fat as I Can and I'm just a Girl who Can't Say D'oh episodes).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    You can tell Dennis really loved the show and he often had great insights to share about it. Checking his reviews has been a habit of mine for well over half a decade. I'll miss them.
    Yeah he loved the show but I'm not sure why they couldn't just finish this whole season before quitting. There's only 3 more episodes.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Yeah he loved the show but I'm not sure why they couldn't just finish this whole season before quitting. There's only 3 more episodes.
    Myopic management.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    Myopic management.
    Indeed honestly management can suck sometimes

Blog Entries

Phil just posted his review on Part 1 here along with the other Fox cartoons.

Blog Entries

I don't have much to say for this episode, partly because its only halfway finished. But for a two-parter I find the premise to be rather lacking so far. We have had replacements for Lovejoy in the past but at least Bode Wright is a pretty good character. He has many good scenes and some decent chemistry with Lovejoy. I do agree that the stained glass window gag felt out of place for this show.

I liked the couch gag (I mean comeon we got to see Marge in her underwear). Pete Holmes had a solid introduction with Wiggum. Helen getting flirty with the new guy is yet again done before. I didn't care much for the Homer and Marge crisis they had this time where apparently Homer sold the house which we don't see it happening. The shoe switching thing was pretty fun though. Surprisingly not a lot of screentime was done for the Simpson family. I liked the montage with Lisa which had some nice animation. Some other small subplots like Pete confronting Ned occured for the next episode, so I can't comment much else on until I get to see the second part.

This episode mostly introduced Bode Wright as a character which it did fine, but it felt like the plots they wanted to build up were rather underwhelming. I do want to see how the next episode unfolds the rest of the stories. There were a good amount of gags and a lot of other good scenes. One of the better jokes was with Moe hiring someone to murder him, and pretty much every Agnes scene. I liked some of the chemistry with Bode and the other characters. I also liked that the Lovejoy family have gotten a rather big role, but they show to little of the Simpson family. So far its in alright episode, but I'm hoping for the next to be better. Certainly not anywhere near Who Shot Mr Burns level of quality so far.

3/5
    Last edited by Kaine; 05-04-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

36. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

The only statement I got to share and I am absolutely sure about, is that Warrin' Priests is not worthy to be a two-part episode. While this beginning had nothing repulsively bad, it neither embarked on something special to be such an event. Even if the second part is festive of adrenaline and emotions, the first part was barely the drop of Tim Lovejoy and the appearance of Bode, and that can be done in three minutes in normal situations. As most of you, I'll be comment it deeper when we have the entire product finished.

I really hope that the second part is more interesting. At least it promises to be mysterious and chaotic. Let's see...
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The Seven Beer Itch - 1/5
    Podcast News - 4/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 2/5
    The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 4/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 3/5
    Dad-Feelings Limited - ?/5 / Diary Queen - ?/5

I too would say that it doesn't really work as two episodes.

The first part was okay (it has decent pacing, a bunch of nice jokes and gags, good involvement from the family and the secondary characters & an alright story and conflict for Tim Lovejoy) and had nothing really that bad (not even the living stained glass windows & Bode being generally bland and perfect, even with the mysterious past) but something feels really off. It comes off as kinda empty in a sense, almost as if they have stretched out 10 minutes into 20 (kind of like the opposite of The Great Phatsby' which had too much going on). I think that they could have pulled this story off better as an regular episode.

(By the way, what would really be the best for the final collected user ratings, @Brad Lascelle? Rating Part I & II separately or the whole story as a full package after Part II? I'm still wondering since both parts share the same thread).

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I too would say that it doesn't really work as two episodes.

The first part was okay (it has decent pacing, a bunch of nice jokes and gags, good involvement from the family and the secondary characters & an alright story and conflict for Tim Lovejoy) and had nothing really that bad (not even the living stained glass windows & Bode being generally bland and perfect, even with the mysterious past) but something feels really off. It comes off as kinda empty in a sense, almost as if they have stretched out 10 minutes into 20 (kind of like the opposite of The Great Phatsby' which had too much going on). I think that they could have pulled this story off better as an regular episode.

(By the way, what would really be the best for the final collected user ratings, @Brad Lascelle? Rating Part I & II separately or the whole story as a full package after Part II? I'm still wondering since both parts share the same thread).
    I plan to only factor in a single score the entire episode as far as the thread consensus is concerned. If only due to the precedent set by The Great Phatsby. I might have been more inclined to entertain separate scores had last week's episode been its own distinct thing but that's clearly not the case. These are two parts of a clearly cohesive whole and should be rated accordingly.

That said, if you guys want to score each part separately on your own, that's fine. But I'll only be counting your final score for Part 2 or your overall score towards the site consensus rating.

...Just as I predicted, this was a two-parter... Why?

1/5 (and once again, only because we can't go any lower)

Thread Information