Thread: Greg Daniels wanted to run The Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Greg Daniels wanted to run The Simpsons

I was listening to an interview with Greg Daniels, who was promoting Space Force and Upload. He said after his three-year contract was up (as a writer on The Simpsons), he entered re-negotiations with Fox, hoping to run the show. But Fox couldn't promise that at the moment. So he went into a development deal, and the rest is history.

King of the Hill is great, but imagine how bind-bogglingly amazing The Simpsons could've been for a few more years. Instead, we had to settle for you know who...

Reminds me of the statue scene from "Marge in Chains;" we had a chance at Lincoln, but we had to settle for Carter.

Escuchame? Bloodcurdling Sandurt's Avatar

If this happened and KOTH wasn't ever made I would be pretty sad KOTH (1-8) can match up to Simpsons a lot they're both solid shows that I get enjoyment out of.

(Greg Daniels seems really interesting seeing the episodes he wrote though wish we could've seen him as a showrunner for at least two years)
    Undercover Burns - 3/5 \ I, Carumbus 4.5/5

We can only speculate how season 9 would have been if Daniels had been the showrunner. It's safe to assume it probably would have been better.

Why game 7, WHY? Return Of The Living Trab's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I agree that if Greg Daniels ran The Simpsons, then it would be better than with Scully in the long term. But then King Of The Hill wouldn't be as good as it was, and that show was pretty good. But still, Daniels over in the long run. Scully.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/Now Museum, Now You Don't.

I love hearing stories like this.

In an alternate universe, Daniels would have been the showrunner for seasons nine and ten. Then Scully would have taken over for the next two seasons and that would set up Al Jean to be in charge for season 13. If this happens, we're talking about a sitcom with literally a decade of high-quality episodes. The decline still would have happened, but I definitely believe Daniels would be able to keep the show from falling off sooner. And he also would have been a more natural transition from Oakley & Weinstein.

i doubt daniels would've been able to keep the ship from sinking even if he hired better writers, plus i love king of the hill - but this is interesting alternate timeline material

We're out of time.

The thing is Daniels's contract ran out at the end of season 7. Oakley and Weinstein's own contract was set in stone until season 9. There is no way the show was going to change showrunners midway through the Oakley/Weinstein period. Had Daniels extended his Simpsons contract, he might have been eligible for running the show on season 9. Him running season 8 was a no go.

Just as David X Cohen would have come at the expense of Futurama, Greg Daniels would have come at the expense of King Of The Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    The thing is Daniels's contract ran out at the end of season 7. Oakley and Weinstein's own contract was set in stone until season 9. There is no way the show was going to change showrunners midway through the Oakley/Weinstein period. Had Daniels extended his Simpsons contract, he might have been eligible for running the show on season 9. Him running season 8 was a no go.
    Maybe so. But I'm sure a deal could've been made for him be a writer for one more season, then show runner for the following two.

Thread Information