Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Another great write-up, @Szyslak100, and I like how you explain how you found enjoyment out of Into the Homer-verse while most of us haven't. After all it's all subjective and you can enjoy something for personal reasons while still being aware of its problems. That's a reason why I quite liked Be Nine, Rewind while  I'm aware it has a number of plotholes and some people can find the structure terrible. Though, looking back on it, I'd say I actually prefered Toy Gory too after all. Because it really fits with the Halloween vibes, it has some comedy and a great spooky factor, even if it is quite short (yet pretty efficient in its straightforward way), and because it's a parody that knows how to use the original material as a blueprint and not as something we could just shamelessly make an uninspired rip-off out of. 

Speaking of which,  I wonder if Bart actually was genuinely sorry for what he did to his toys while being unaware they were sentient all along, or if it was just a attempt to fool them as if they would let him go because of his apologize (since he does treat Milhouse badly while he has feelings). Either way, I really liked that they decided to kill him anyway despite his (genuine or not) regrets. The kind of bold, twisted, unnerving stuff many modern TOH episodes are lacking of. Or that they have trouble to execute in a smart way (Wanted Dead Then Alive). 

Also, regarding Into the Homer-verse,  I like that they made 8-bits Homer mute. It's a nice detail and one of these that could've made this segment better and more creative than it turned out to be if it wasn't underdeveloped and too "safe" as a parody. 
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 10-22-2020 at 02:57 AM.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 3.5/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - TBA

Best / Worst from each season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted / Homer's Odyssey - 2. Two Cars In Every Garage and Three Eyes On Every Fish / Dancin' Homer - 3. Homer at the Bat / The Otto Show - 4. Last Exit to Springfield / Brother from the Same Planet - 5. Cape Feare / Bart's Inner Child - 6. Homer the Great / Another Simpsons Clip Show - 7. Raging Abe Simpson (...) / Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming - 8. Homer vs. the 18th Amendment / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson - 9. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson / All Singing, All Dancing - 10. Mom and Pop Art / They Saved Lisa's Brain - 11. E-I-E-I-D'oh / Eight Misbehavin - 12. Trilogy of Error / Worst Episode Ever - 13. The Blunder Years / Gump Roast - 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation / Pray Anything - 15. My Mother the Carjacker / Bart-Mangled Banner - 16. Thank God, It's Doomsday / Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass - 17. The Seemingly Never-Ending Story / The Bonfire of the Manatees - 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple / Little Big Girl - 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Hubsband and Knives - 20. Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes / The Burns and the Bees - 21. Moe Letter Blues / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed - 22. Flaming Moe / Elementary School Musical - 23. Holidays of Future Passed / Lisa Goes Gaga - 24. Dangers on a Train / Love Is a Many-Splintered Thing - 25. Steal This Episode / The Man Who Grew Too Much - 26. The Princess Guide / The Musk Who Fell to Earth - 27. Halloween of Horror / Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 28. There Will Be Buds / Dad Behavior - 29. King Leer / Frink Gets Testy - 30. Daddicus Finch / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 31. Livin' la Pura Vida / Better Off Ned

Great review with solid breakdowns of the segments & good reasoning, @Szyslak100.

I can understand you preferring 'Into The Homer-Verse' over 'Be Nine, Rewind'. 'Homer-Verse' I consider alrght despite being a fairly shallow parody (the various Homers interacting with each other made it. Disney Princess Homer was probably my favorite, much as I find Castellaneta's falsetto female voice fun. I wish they would have chopped down the intro a little to expand the plot of this middle segment). 'Be Nine' gets a little the end with things being kinda nonsensical (I don't get how they could go back to stop Gil before he got to the house, for instance. The Ralph joke made no sense but I guess they wanted an end gag) but I still enjoyed the segment a lot. 

'Toy Gory' was my favorite (they nailed the tone, the animation & the parody), helped a lot by that dark ending (by the way, maybe I'm alone on this, but while that ending with Bart turned into a human doll was creepy, I thought it was darkly funny too (I definitely felt they meant to play it for black humor and not all for drama). I also thought about the fact that the family kept Bart as a doll in the house instead of putting him out of his misery and just give him a funeral, but then again, the 'Treehouse' episodes always had a sketchy sense of logic, so often playing up nonsensical stuff and creepiness which made the ending less contrived. 
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-30-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    The Simpsons - Season 32 Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1/5 / Treehouse Of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - TBD / Podcast News - TBD / Three Dreams Denied - TBD

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

As someone that actually watched most of the previous THoH's from the past decade in the week leading up to this (the exceptions being the one from 2011 and the previous two; and I'm waiting until Sunday for 2015's when it turns 5), this was better than about half of them (especially the last two) as well as the far more atrocious Thanksgiving of Horror (I'll basically go to my grave saying it's one of the show's worst/most overrated episodes ever) but at the same time I wasn't in love with this as a lot of others seemed to be.

The biggest thing I noticed about this was how much like the new FG that aired the same night it felt like they were pretty much mostly relying on nostalgia. And while this did have more of an excuse to do so considering that this is 30 years since the very first Halloween special, I still couldn't help but feel that most of the runtime was just reminding me of past THoH's (good or bad).

The cold open was basically a more dragged out version of the one from 2008's, and much like that one (and the one from 2012) is instantly dated thanks to it's indirect COVID reference. The presence of the Krusty doll in Toy Gorey reminded me of Clown Without Pity and the ending to Into the Homer-verse was a less funny version of Send in the Clone's ending and on top of that didn't really make sense (or at least to me it didn't). I'm sure there are more examples I can think of but these were the ones that stood out the most for me.

That's not say I disliked the episode or found it to be weak like the previous two THoH's, but at best it was just OK. I honestly found Toy Gorey to be the weakest segment with the most interesting thing about it being that it was all CGI which I took as a reference to how this is not only 25 years since Toy Story but also since Homer³. Into the Homer-verse was the best for me but again it's ending didn't really make sense, and Be Nine, Rewind was so-so.

Other quick things to note:
    * The bit in Toy Gorey where Marge drinks from the bottle out of depression honestly felt more like something I'd expect from Lois Griffin. I'm sure there's possibly been another case of her doing this but I've probably forgotten/blocked it out and it was just awkward and fell flat.
    * Last week I mentioned wondering who would eventually replace Harry Shearer as Dr. Hibbert. And as of this episode, it appears they haven't decided yet and are keeping him for now.
    * Sherri (and by extension Terri) sounded more like Lola from The Loud House than herself which was odd since I thought Grey Griffin got accustomed to those two right away when compared to Martin where it took her a few episodes.

2/5 Not as good as 2017's (which upon a rewatch is the last one I've really liked for now), but still better than what the last two years have offered. 
    Family Guy Season 19 Ratings - Stewie's First Word: 1.5/5 The Talented Mr. Stewie: .5/5 Boys & Squirrels: 0/5 Cutawayland: 1.5/5 La Famiglia Guy: TBD Meg's Wedding: TBD
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: 0/5 Businessly Brunette: .5/5 The Chilly Thrillies: 1/5 Dammmm, Stan: 1.5/5 The Last Ride of the Dodge City Rambler: 0/5 300: 0/5

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Hey, remember when the Simpsons use to make fun of both candidates in elections parodies? Like I don't know... the "I voted for Kodos" thing the refrenced? I hate Trump but the first few minutes - despite some good jokes - felt like watching cheap propaganda that rubs in in people faces who they should vote This is why I prefer "South Park" when it comes to politics...
    Last edited by Mr.; 10-24-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Well, my review is spoiler free.

After last year’s abysmal edition, I had no expectations for this one (especially reading the synopses). Scrolling through this forum, I was surprised to see that this episode had been well received and went to check it myself. Oh, boy.

I don’t normally comment on the Simpsons Discussion as I hate to be too negative in a community (I would give 0/5 for the first three episodes of season 32), but it is extremely depressing to see such an episode like that being acclaimed. Starting with the cringe-inducing opening, none of the movie parody segments were scary, interesting, well-written and of course, funny. I could summarize them as being 6 or 7 minutes of thin plots that go nowhere, bloodlessly (mostly) and totally tension-free. Unfortunately the last two editions have also sucked and given the overall quality of the series now (unwatchable), I highly doubt that they will be able to deliver anything decent in the future.

1/5.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_PrinceBR View Post
    Well, my review is spoiler free.

After last year’s abysmal edition, I had no expectations for this one (especially reading the synopses). Scrolling through this forum, I was surprised to see that this episode had been well received and went to check it myself. Oh, boy.

I don’t normally comment on the Simpsons Discussion as I hate to be too negative in a community (I would give 0/5 for the first three episodes of season 32), but it is extremely depressing to see such an episode like that being acclaimed. Starting with the cringe-inducing opening, none of the movie parody segments were scary, interesting, well-written and of course, funny. I could summarize them as being 6 or 7 minutes of thin plots that go nowhere, bloodlessly (mostly) and totally tension-free. Unfortunately the last two editions have also sucked and given the overall quality of the series now (unwatchable), I highly doubt that they will be able to deliver anything decent in the future.

1/5.
    You also hated I, Carumbus? And how about modern Family guy?
    Simpsons S32 ratings: - "Undercover Burns" - 2/5 - "I, Carumbus" - 4/5 - "Now Museum, Now You Don't" - 2/5 - "Treehouse 31" - 4/5

Bless the Harts S2 ratings: - "Violet's Secret" - 4/5 - "The Last Supper" - 3.5/5 - "My Best Frenda" - 4.5/5 - "Dead Mall" - 4/5

Bob's Burgers S11 ratings: - "Dream a Little Bob of Bob" - 3.5/5 - "Worms of In-Rear-ment" - 4/5 - "Copa-Bob-bana" - 4/5 - "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" - 4/5

Family Guy S19 ratings: - "Stewie's First Word" - 1/5 - "The Talented Mr. Stewie" - 3/5 - "Boys & Squirrels" - 1/5 - "Cutawayland" - 3/5

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandboy

it is extremely depressing to see such an episode like that being acclaimed.
    This basically sums up how I feel about Thanksgiving of Horror. Speaking of, what's your opinion on that overrated trainwreck?

Also, would you agree that this episodes banked a little too much in nostalgia (even if it had a justification)?

You know John 95 is quite annoying how after so long you keep screaming the fact that you didnt like it Thanksgiving Of Horror we know you dont like it go on with your life you dont need to repeat it all time
    SEASON 32 - GRADES
    Undercover Burns - 3 / 5
    I Carambus - 4.5 / 5
    Now Musseum, Now You Dont - 1.5 / 5
    Treehouse of horror XXXI: Toy Gory 5 / 5 Into The Homer- Verse 3 / 5 Be Nine, Rewind 4 / 5

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandboy View Post
    You know John 95 is quite annoying how after so long you keep screaming the fact that you didnt like it Thanksgiving Of Horror we know you dont like it go on with your life you dont need to repeat it all time
    It's his opinion. He can say it as much as he wants. I can say I hate "Better off Meg" all the time, and I still will stand by it. I use that episode as an example of of how to not write a comedy series.

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@orangemo Nah, it's pretty annoying. He seems dead set on constantly reiterating that opinion without ever giving any solid reasoning or providing any real insight. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but when it essentially turns into nonsensically beating people over the head with your opinions, it gets a bit tiresome. Anyways, that's my two cents. Gonna dodge this thread til the episode airs, as to not derail it.
    The Simpsons, Season 32:

Undercover Burns - 3/5
    I, Carumbus - 4.5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5
    THOH XXXI - 4.5/5: Toy Gory - 5/5 Into The Homerverse - 3/5 Be Nine, Rewind - 5/5

Family Guy, Season 19:

Stewie's First Word - 2/5
    The Talented Mr. Stewie - 2.5/5
    Boys & Squirrels - 1.5/5
    Cutawayland - 2/5

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Intro: Yup.

Toy Story: I liked the animation (random 2D animated tv show in the middle kinda ruined the immersion tho). Bart being made into a zombified toy at the end was scary. It wasn’t funny, and there was nothing to the story besides the toys killing Bart, but it was probably the best of the segments here.

Into the Homervore: Wasted concept. The alternate Homers chosen aren’t interesting/not given enough screentime to be interesting. Plot skips to them terrorizing the town (not really), then Lisa says Homer will die, and then he does die, but one of the Homers got away(?).

Be Kind, Rewind: This one had my attention at first, but bad story writing ended that quick. Nelson/Lisa decide to Kill Gil Vol. 1-2, which somehow works in breaking the curse. They fade away, but then Lisa walks back home still at night, implying she had to walk back instead of waking up in her bedroom again. I’m sure the movie this was parodying explained all this. Read the book > Watch the movie > Watch the ass Thoh segment parodia  

Better than the last 2 i guess. Shouldn’t have even bothered/5.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

it is extremely depressing to see such an episode like that being acclaimed.
    I'm sorry, but I don't really undestand that kind of criticism.

I don't really see what is so depressing about the fact the majority here enjoys an episode you don't. Opinions really can differ so it is all right to dislike or like whatever episodes you want with no right or wrong being set in stone (which makes for a healthy community as it should be), but to pretty much slam this community and say we are wrong and crazy for liking an episode you heavily dislike is not okay.

That some of us find enjoyment in a modern 'Simpsons' episode should not be a problem.

Why game 7, WHY? Return Of The Living Trab's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post

Be Kind, Rewind: This one had my attention at first, but bad story writing ended that quick. Nelson/Lisa decide to Kill Gil Vol. 1/2 
      I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed the Kill Gil meta reference in that segment, they should use something different to end the loop, or keep killing Lisa all the way.

Also, I guess your grade for consensus is a 3/5? 
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/Now Museum, Now You Don't.

@CousinMerl, Eh, I can actually see where @Martin_PrinceBR is coming from. Basically what he appears to be saying that it's depressing for him to see an episode like this being praised as if it's one of the best when in actuality it's a weak one.

I myself consider this to be better than the last two THoH's, but at best it's subpar and slightly overrated because I believe it's praised as much as it is only because the entries from the last two years make it look better in comparison.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

@John95, whether or not it is weak 'in actuality' is subjective. If some say it is bad it in no way a fact, it is just an opinion and it varies depending on whom you ask (which goes for more or less all of the episodes, I'd say).

I don't think the episode is any kind of masterpiece (I don't even see it being that acclaimed or praised, just met with very good reviews) but I certainly enjoyed it. It is better than the previous couple of 'Treehouses' that were lesser efforts (in my opinion), which doesn't really affect my grading for it. I just think it was a nice, enjoyable & good episode.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-29-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Just because people compare this TOH to the previous ones doesn't mean that their grading for it aren't based on the episode itself and not "just" because the previous couple sucked so much for the public opinion that it would apparently make this one looking automatically better. I think most of us have made the comparison because, in our opinion, this episode succeeded where the previous couple didn't, and therefore that does imply that people who enjoyed it have ranked it for its own merit (I mean, explaining what we think of an episode, that's what reviews are made for, isn't it ?), and once again, that's all subjective, and that's fine if people did or didn't like it. It certainly isn't a top-tier TOH episode for me either but I've enjoyed it for what it is, personally.

Blog Entries

About the rating, I mostly tried to ignore the previous ones and just focus on this episode. If they at least partly graded it on it's quality but focused mainly on the last 2 than that's fine. However just grading it based on the last 2 and not on the quality of all I'd just not right.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

My rating on this episode did compare it to the last two, which sucked compared to this. However, the into the homer-verse segment was pretty boring, so I can't praise it too much cause of that.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't really undestand that kind of criticism.

I don't really see what is so depressing about the fact the majority here enjoys an episode you don't. Opinions really can differ so it is all right to dislike or like whatever episodes you want with no right or wrong being set in stone (which makes for a healthy community as it should be), but to pretty much slam this community and say we are wrong and crazy for liking an episode you heavily dislike is not okay.

That some of us find enjoyment in a modern 'Simpsons' episode should not be a problem.
    It was my opinion, as well as it is depressing for me. I like other TOH editions of HD Era (XX, XXIII, XXIV, XXV, XXVIII), including these received positive reviews here, so it was even more surprisingly for me to see this episode being acclaimed and I don’t like it. The show has become unwatchable for me since season 30, and I’m not comparing it to the classic era, which would be absurd, but with other HD seasons.

My intention was not to offend anyone but I apologize if.

Oh, and John95, I loved Thanksgiving of Horror. I know it’s a gimmick episode, but it really seems like the only type of episode that can be good right now. It was very well written and funny, better than many TOH. It was also the only episode from seasons 30 and 31 that I really enjoyed, along with Girl’s in the Band.

@Martin_PrinceBR, Don't want to derail this any further but what you said about Thanksgiving of Horror is 100% the exact opposite of how I feel about it as it's neither well written or funny, is worse than even the worst THoH's and is hypocritically loved for all the same reasons why people hate the current THoH's.

Though I agree that XXIII, XXIV, XXV, XXVII (the last actually enjoyable one as of this year) and The Girl's in the Band are good episodes.

Blog Entries

Some of the stuff about  Be Nine's ending weren't terribly airtight but like I mentioned, it was just played for laughs, basically a "rule of funny" moment. It's a little like questioning how sitting on one thing in the past caused such drastic changes in Time and Punishment. The overall tone wasn't super serious so it's not as much of a big deal on my end. That and half the people discussing how this ending made no sense had given a free pass to much worse examples of the last-second-resolution including in stories that did act serious instead of being a gagfest. So it seems a bit silly to me, almost like discussing the logic of Cape Feare. Though in this case maybe it'd be a bit better if Gil was intercepted outside of the Simpson house (and probably crash into the Flanders' house instead) or maybe the ending twist being that nothing got solved? Or maybe imply during the CBG scene they could go further back?

I hate to derail this thread but men i hate this fucking debate on Thanksgiving Of Horror and how even after a year of the broadcast of that episode they still do not let him rest and not John 95 the episode is loved because it is terrifying, the stories are well developed and it is fun something that was missing fom the preview treehouse of horror

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    Some of the stuff about  Be Nine's ending weren't terribly airtight but like I mentioned, it was just played for laughs, basically a "rule of funny" moment. It's a little like questioning how sitting on one thing in the past caused such drastic changes in Time and Punishment. The overall tone wasn't super serious so it's not as much of a big deal on my end. That and half the people discussing how this ending made no sense had given a free pass to much worse examples of the last-second-resolution including in stories that did act serious instead of being a gagfest. So it seems a bit silly to me, almost like discussing the logic of Cape Feare. Though in this case maybe it'd be a bit better if Gil was intercepted outside of the Simpson house (and probably crash into the Flanders' house instead) or maybe the ending twist being that nothing got solved? Or maybe imply during the CBG scene they could go further back?

I didn't mind the ending of this segment that much because like you said it's all part of the overall "played for laughs" tone (I mean, since the solution to solve all of this was just to  kill Gil, instead of some symbolic act or something, it's quite obvious to me ) but I think it could have been better executed.  Like for example, if they could go through the day without dying, the time loop would make them going back to the beginning of the same day, instead of just the moment where Lisa is sitting on her desk, or something like that. At least in Time and Punishment, even if the changes are absurdly drastic (which isn't an issue at all, that's part of what made this segment so good), the "butterfly effect" reason makes sense, you know what did provoke these changes. But since they made killing Gil the solution to solve all of this by implying that it will stop him to crash into the Simpsons' house in the first place, in other words by giving it a "logical reason" to stop all of this, that's why it kinda bugged me (since it's never implied that they could go further back), even though, like I said, because the whole plot wasn't super serious to begin with, it was a bit easier to give it a pass as far as I'm concerned (though just because the TOH episodes allow the writers to make silly and not entirely logical segments doesn't mean that they have to abandon all kind of sense whatsoever; what makes them good goes further than "they don't always have to make sense"). 

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
     Like for example, if they could go through the day without dying, the time loop would make them going back to the beginning of the same day, instead of just the moment where Lisa is sitting on her desk, or something like that. At least in Time and Punishment, even if the changes are absurdly drastic (which isn't an issue at all, that's part of what made this segment so good), the "butterfly effect" reason makes sense, you know what did provoke these changes. But since they made killing Gil the solution to solve all of this by implying that it will stop him to crash into the Simpsons' house in the first place, in other words by giving it a "logical reason" to stop all of this, that's why it kinda bugged me (since it's never implied that they could go further back) 
    I would have to agree about that (and the other things you said above, too).

The nonsensical logic of the end was a bit much and confusing but I still liked it as said (as it was all in good fun) but like you I also think they should have went at it differently. Just with a simple statement establishing and confirming the time loop could make them go back earlier in the day if they both really wished for it or whatever (to make them be able to stop Gil from crashing into the house and send Lisa back to the start of the day instead of sending her to the desk) would improve the story. To make things simple and understandable, maybe they should just have had them stop Gil's car down the street during Lisa's birthday (which would send Lisa back to her desk with no more time loop) like @Venomrabbit suggested (I do like the prospect of him driving into Flanders' house instead, maybe starting a loop for Ned as he hits him instead?). 

The way they did the ending didn't bother me much overall, but in retrospect it really feels like they could have done it more smoothly and more understandable (maybe just with added explanations) since the segment had no real issues up until that part. I can understand it really bothering those who wanted the climax to make more sense (and for some it will probably mean difference between it being a good or a bad segment). 
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-31-2020 at 01:55 AM.

Blog Entries

if they did imply the fact that they could go back, then the segment would've had another purpose along with pleasing the anti-Lisa fans. As said before, the Kill Gil bit was never said to have broken the time loop, and that just seemed like a plea to get people to watch Kill Gil, when the episode itself sucked. If they did live through the day, and then arrived at the beginning, it would become more like Groundhog Day then HDD or Russian Doll, but even then, as I liked GHD, it wouldn't be a problem for me. If anything, they rushed it a bit, and the time it had (6 minutes) wasn't as optimal as the other 2, where the longest act (Into The Homerverse) was the worst of the 3, they could've given some of it's time to BNR.

The climax itself was the only weak point in the segment (though I'm gonna get flak for that it wasn't all solid) and if the ending is rewritten well, then it could've been a future classic.  
    Last edited by Return Of The Living Trab; 10-31-2020 at 01:36 AM.

Maybe I'm looking for an answer here, but it does sorta feel like at the end they were trying to echo 'Groundhog Day' with Lisa's final loop probably starting with her waking up early in the morning to go get Nelson so they could kill Gil, but up to that point it seemed like every time the loop began was with Lisa at her desk so to suddenly change the loop starting point after their visit to Comic Book Guy would feel kinda weird. 

Almost felt like they wanted the segment to end more or a bang which caused them to forego (or rather bend) the established logic and logistics of the time loop aspect, but nevertheless, aside from that confusing ending it was a fine segment. 

Thread Information