Thread: Simpsons lost the Emmy for best Animated Program

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Simpsons lost the Emmy for best Animated Program

Rick and Morty beat it out. Personally, Im happy about it. Though I wish BoJack was able to snag one Emmy before the end of its run. My faith in awards just might be restored.

Thoughts?

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I've stated many times, I don't think the Simpsons are deserving of any awards and they've received a lot just for being the Simpsons so I don't really care.

But the Emmys and also the Grammys really don't mean shit. They don't even pretend to be serious like the Oscars, they're complete and utter trash.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    As I've stated many times, I don't think the Simpsons are deserving of any awards and they've received a lot just for being the Simpsons so I don't really care.

But the Emmys and also the Grammys really don't mean shit. They don't even pretend to be serious like the Oscars, they're complete and utter trash.
    My thoughts exactly

Why game 7, WHY? Return Of The Living Trab's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly. I'm OK with that, but I'm very sad that Bojack, an amazing animated program, now has to go and live with the guilt of never winning an single emmy (for best animeted program), because of Rick and Morty.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Dont Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Cant See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/Now Museum, Now You Don't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    Honestly. I'm OK with that, but I'm very sad that Bojack, an amazing animated program, now has to go and live with the guilt of never winning an single emmy (for best animeted program), because of Rick and Morty.
    The Emmy's aren't a metric of quality. I don't see the guilt or disappointment there. If a show deserves an Emmy and doesn't get it, that's on the academy, not Bojack Horseman or Rick and Morty.

I've said in other Emmy-related threads that I don't believe awards to mean anything. It appears that other people here feel the same way. But to some people, like those who work on these programs, they do. So I'm just happy Jean and Co. aren't getting that self-satisfaction for once. If they think they're still at the top of their game and as good as these other shows, events like this are sure to hurt their ego a bit and bring them down to Earth.

It's a shame what happened to Bojack. It was so fantastic. Binged the whole second part of the final season the day it dropped. I'm sure the fans will be vocal with their outrage on Twitter and such, which will be seen and greatly appreciated by Raphael Bob-Waksberg and the team. But if it had to lose to anything, I'm glad it was Rick and Morty.

The irony is that the Simpsons have been nominated and won unfairly many times just for being the Simpsons but back in the old days when they were actually the best thing on TV they only won a few times and should have deserved much more.

That proves that the Emmys don't really care about quality and don't even try to hide it. They either give the award to the show that a) is popular or b) has been around for a long time and is more like an institution.
    The same goes for the Grammys and the music business. They'll either give the award to someone like Billie Eilish because she's popular or to someone like Bob Dylan because he's been around forever.
    There's absolutely no artistic merit taken into account. They either just go for mere popularity or they'll give it to someone with a long carreer no matter if they haven't done anything good in years just because of the legacy.

This is the case because both the TV and music industries are full of self congratulatory megalomaniacs who like to pat each other on the shoulders and congratulate each other for how great they are.

The irony is that the Simpsons have been nominated and won unfairly many times just for being the Simpsons but back in the old days when they were actually the best thing on TV they only won a few times and should have deserved much more.
    That is a whole other issue that pisses me off, because that applies to other areas of the show too.

1. The voice actors didn't ask for a raise until season 10. Every few years after that, they would negotiate for more. The irony here is that the more they get paid, the worse the show's quality is. And they don't even record together anymore. They record separately; so of course the interaction between characters with different actors is gonna sound awkward and unnatural. They'd have to record together in order for it to sound spontaneous. But understandably, they do other projects. So there's no resolution for that one. I don't know what took them so long to ask for more money. You'd think they'd do that when the show was in its prime and well before ANYONE thought it would go beyond 9 or 10 seasons. And yet, they did this around the time most long-running shows go off the air. Whatever; all is well for them.

2. Mike Scully said during season 10, the show finally became recognized by the Writers' Union, meaning they'd have health insurance and other benefits. This implies that during the golden years, the writers worked themselves nearly to death for no reward or security. No wonder they'd leave the show when they had the chance. But by season 10, the show's production schedule became very streamlined (less rewrites and lesser hours). The irony here? Bigger financial security for a smaller work load. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the staff that they're insured. And again, I don't know why it took nearly 10 years for this to happen. But if the writers from the first 9 seasons were able to create the greatest scripts ever with no financial support to fall back on, then there's no excuse fo the current writers to not do the same.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: J.J.Watts

Escuchame? Bloodcurdling Sandurt's Avatar

Fuck the emmys.

Seriously though, you should only take the Oscars seriously now. Especially what happened this year

Pin Pal

I'm glad The Simpsons lost. The show isn't worth it anymore.Rick and Morty add something fresh and new while The Simpsons has remained the same for over 30 years. There is nothing new about The Simpsons.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This was BoJack's year. Frankly, I'm mortified that it lost to Rick & Morty of all things. It's not like R&M's last season was all that good or anything, either. What a shame!
    SEASON 32 RANKINGS
    Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4.5/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5
    THOH XXXI = Toy Gory - 5/5 / Into the Homer-verse - 2/5 / Be Nine, Rewind - 4/5
    The 7 Beer Itch - ???/5 / Podcast News - ???/5 / Three Dreams Denied - ???/5

I'm not surprised. The Simpsons almost never wins awards these days, and that should be a clue to Disney and FOX to finally end the show...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    This was BoJack's year. Frankly, I'm mortified that it lost to Rick & Morty of all things. It's not like R&M's last season was all that good or anything, either. What a shame!
    While I absolutely agree that BoJack deserved to win this year, these awards recognize episodes, no seasons, and The Vat of Acid Episode was an outstanding Rick and Morty episode even if season four was a notorious step-down for the show and has provided some awful episodes and others quite forgettable.

Regarding The Simpsons, I think Thanksgiving of Horror was one of the most solid submissions of the post-classic era of the show but the competence was simply better. It's frustrating the toxicity of the Simpsons fandom, though, reaching the point of being happy because the show has lost the Emmys. They will have to conform themselves with the winning of the last year, the WGA Award, and the Peabody Award. What a shame (?)

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    I'm not surprised. The Simpsons almost never wins awards these days, and that should be a clue to Disney and FOX to finally end the show...
    They won an Emmy for "Mad About the Toy" last year.
    Simpsons S32 ratings: - "Undercover Burns" - 2/5 - "I, Carumbus" - 4/5 - "Now Museum, Now You Don't" - 2/5 - "Treehouse 31" - 4/5

Bless the Harts S2 ratings: - "Violet's Secret" - 4/5 - "The Last Supper" - 3.5/5 - "My Best Frenda" - 4.5/5 - "Dead Mall" - 3.5/5

Bob's Burgers S11 ratings: - "Dream a Little Bob of Bob" - 3.5/5 - "Worms of In-Rear-ment" - 4/5 - "Copa-Bob-bana" - 4/5 - "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" - 4/5

Family Guy S19 ratings: - "Stewie's First Word" - 1/5 - "The Talented Mr. Stewie" - 3/5 - "Boys & Squirrels" - 1/5 - "Cutawayland" - 3/5

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB

Blog Entries

They also won a Writers Guild of America Award for Bart's Not Dead, and a Peabody Award.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

They also won a Writers Guild of America Award for Bart's Not Dead, and a Peabody Award.
    And thanksgiving of horror didn’t it win a WGA award?

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    While I absolutely agree that BoJack deserved to win this year, these awards recognize episodes, no seasons, and The Vat of Acid Episode was an outstanding Rick and Morty episode even if season four was a notorious step-down for the show and has provided some awful episodes and others quite forgettable.

Regarding The Simpsons, I think Thanksgiving of Horror was one of the most solid submissions of the post-classic era of the show but the competence was simply better. It's frustrating the toxicity of the Simpsons fandom, though, reaching the point of being happy because the show has lost the Emmys. They will have to conform themselves with the winning of the last year, the WGA Award, and the Peabody Award. What a shame (?)
    I don't see it as toxicity. Most of us simply think the Simpsons are being recognized and receive awards because they are the Simpsons and because of this they are simply annoying because they harm the chances of other better shows.
    I know you don't think this way because you like modern Simpsons, but this is how many of us see it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    And thanksgiving of horror didn’t it win a WGA award?
    There was that as well.

I don't see it as toxicity. Most of us simply think the Simpsons are being recognized and receive awards because they are the Simpsons and because of this they are simply annoying because they harm the chances of other better shows.
    I know you don't think this way because you like modern Simpsons, but this is how many of us see it.
    I wished BoJack Horseman wins, 100%. And I thought The Vat of Acid Episode deserved it more than Thanksgiving of Horror. We agree The Simpsons didn't deserve it. I'd share the feeling of being happy if BoJack Horseman would win. I understand the feeling of being happy because Rick and Morty won. I don't share the feeling of being happy particularly because The Simpsons lost. I don't think it's something a fan would feel, personally. It's not my intention to offend anyone, it's what I think. It's like supporting your rivals in a soccer match because you have problem with the players. Nah, I don't feel like that.
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 4/5 / I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - ?/5
    Podcast News - ?/5 / Three Dreams Denied - ?/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - ?/5

I wished BoJack Horseman wins, 100%. And I thought The Vat of Acid Episode deserved it more than Thanksgiving of Horror. We agree The Simpsons didn't deserve it. I'd share the feeling of being happy if BoJack Horseman would win. I understand the feeling of being happy because Rick and Morty won. I don't share the feeling of being happy particularly because The Simpsons lost. I don't think it's something a fan would feel, personally. It's not my intention to offend anyone, it's what I think. It's like supporting your rivals in a soccer match because you have problem with the players. Nah, I don't feel like that.
    Well, I don't see the Simpsons as being the same as a football team.
    Of course I want my football team to win even if I dislike the players or the couch or the president at a particular moment.
    But I don't think there can be an equivalent when it comes to art like television, music or whatever.
    The essence of sport is to compete and of course you pick sides and will want them to win no matter what and you'll be loyal to a team no matter how bad they are.
    But that line of thinking is kinda toxic when it comes to art though. Because art is not about competing even if awards and stuff like that exist.
    No one should defend a program or a music artist no matter what. If there's someone better then that other someone should win. It's as simple as that.
    The concept of treating art like sports is toxic and the antithesis of art.

Blog Entries

Of course I want my football team to win even if I dislike the players or the couch or the president at a particular moment.
    But I don't think there can be an equivalent when it comes to art like television, music or whatever.
    The essence of sport is to compete and of course you pick sides and will want them to win no matter what and you'll be loyal to a team no matter how bad they are.
    But that line of thinking is kinda toxic when it comes to art though. Because art is not about competing even if awards and stuff like that exist.
    No one should defend a program or a music artist no matter what. If there's someone better then that other someone should win. It's as simple as that.
    I think his broader point was that being happy because of the shows failure is toxic. In that, if it's one of your favorite shows, you should be rooting for it to get better and succeed rather than cheering on it's failure.

It's the same situation, I guess. I also wanted to win the best show, BoJack Horseman. And if I was expecting the day of the ceremony, it was because I wanted BoJack to win. If that happened, I would have been happy because BoJack won. There are people that being a fan of The Simpsons, expected the ceremony to watch The Simpsons losing. That's a toxic fandom.

Maybe it was not the perfect analogy. But I don't think fans of Game of Thrones were energetically expecting the eighth season to lose all the awards, for example. If they like, IDK, Better Call Saul too, they might support BCS. But expecting GOT to lose and the rest is secondary? I don't know, as I said, I don't feel like that.

Maybe it was not the perfect analogy. But I don't think fans of Game of Thrones were energetically expecting the eighth season to lose all the awards, for example. If they like, IDK, Better Call Saul too, they might support BCS. But expecting GOT to lose and the rest is secondary? I don't know, as I said, I don't feel like that.
    Better Call Saul is my favorite show right now. The fact that neither Bob Odenkirk nor Rhea Seehorn got nominated made me angrier than "Mad About the Toy" winning last year. But thats a discussion for another thread

Blog Entries

btw can someone post The Simpsons pre recorded victory speech? I can't access twitter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    In that, if it's one of your favorite shows, you should be rooting for it to get better and succeed rather than cheering on it's failure.
    No, not really. There's nothing a fan is really obligated to do. If you used to love a show, but it's gone downhill for a long time you might lose motivation to get excited for it to win in the awards.
    I don't care about the Emmys at all, but I haven't rooted for the show itself in a long time. I never root for it to get better, since I know it won't. I think hoping for The Simpsons to lose is justified if you don't think it deserves to get awarded anymore. I know some people still love it, but as someone who's just hoping for the show to get cancelled already I sympathize with those who were glad it lost.

It's just a dumb award, nothing else. I don't think this should be described as such serious terms as "toxic".
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Thread Information