Thread: All Notable Simpsons Alumni

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

All Notable Simpsons Alumni

This list is for the very talented ex-Simpsons staff members who’ve gone on to make a name for themselves in the entertainment industry. I’m making this because whenever I try to convince a friend to watch The Simpsons, I start to list off the people who’ve produced other work they know of; and I don’t want to lose track anymore.

Besides Reiss and Scully, this list only consists of people who are no longer involved with the show. I want this list to be people who became incredibly successful upon leaving.

Obviously whenever it says creator or co-creator, that automatically means he/she is also the showrunner/writer.

1. Conan O’Brien (writer); talk show host/executive producer - Late Night, The Tonight Show, Conan
    2. Brad Bird (director, executive consultant); writer/director – “The Iron Giant,” “The Incredibles,” “The Incredibles 2,” “Ratatouille,” “Mission Impossible 4” (director only), “Tomorrowland”
    3. Greg Daniels (writer); developer – The Office (US); co-creator – King of the Hill, Parks and Rec, Space Force
    4. Rich Moore (director); writer/director – “Wreck-It Ralph,” “Zootopia,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet,” Futurama
    5. Richard Appel (writer); showrunner/writer – King of the Hill, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show
    6. David X Cohen (writer); showrunner/writer – Futurama, producer/writer – Disenchantment
    a. I know he wrote for Beavis and Butt-head before The Simpsons, but that didn’t make him nearly as marketable as he is now.
    7. Bill Oakley (showrunner/writer), writer – Portlandia, The Cleveland Show, Close Enough, Disenchantment; co-creator – Mission Hill, The Mullets; consulting producer – Futurama
    8. Josh Weinstein (showrunner/writer), writer – Gravity Falls, Futurama (consulting producer too); co-creator – Mission Hill, The Mullets, Strange Hill High; showrunner/writer – Disenchantment
    9. Mike Reiss (showrunner/writer); co-creator - The Critic, Teen Angel; joke writer – several Sony Animation movies
    10. Jennifer Crittenden (writer); co-executive producer/writer -The New Adventures of Old Christine, Veep; writer only – Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond; consulting producer - Arrested Development
    11. Wes Archer (director); King of the Hill, Bob’s Burgers, Rick and Morty, Futurama
    12. Mike Scully (showrunner/writer); co-creator (with his wife, Julie Thacker) – The Pitts, Complete Savages, Duncanville; co-developer – Napoleon Dynamite, The New Normal; writer/co-executive and/or consulting producer – Parks and Rec, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Carmichael Show, The New Normal
    13. Jeff “Swampy” Marsh and Dan Povenmire (background layout artists/animators); creators/voice actors – Phineas and Ferb, Milo Murphy’s Law; writers/directors – Rocko’s Modern Life, Family Guy (director, Povenmire only), SpongeBob SquarePants (Povenmire Only)
    14. Brent Forrester (writer); writer – The Office, Mr. Show with Bob and David; director – The Office
    15. David Silverman (director); co-director – “Monster’s Inc,” “The Road to El Dorado,” “Extinct;” animator – “The Edge of Seventeen”
    16. Jon Vitti (writer) - King of the Hill, The Larry Sanders Show, The Office, The Critic
    17. Jay Kogen (writer) – Frasier, Malcolm in the Middle, director – The Troop, Wendell and Vinnie (also creator)
    18. Jonathon Collier (writer) – King of the Hill, Monk, Bones (also executive producer)
    19. Larry Doyle (writer) – “Duplex,” “Looney Tunes: Back in Action,” “I Love You, Beth Cooper” (based on the novel he wrote)
    a. Like Cohen, he also wrote for Beavis and Butthead, and even published articles for The New Yorker, but it wasn’t until joining The Simpsons that he became marketable for feature films.
    20. Dominic Polcino (director) – King of the Hill, Family Guy, Mission Hill, Rick and Morty
    21. Jim Reardon (director); co-writer – "WALL-E;" head of story - “Wreck-It Ralph,” “Zootopia,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet.”
    22. Wallace Wolodarsky (writer); co-writer - The People vs OJ Simpson, "Monsters vs Aliens," "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days," "Trolls World Tour"
    Last edited by 714MatchesFound; 09-15-2020 at 07:32 PM.

During its Golden years the show had a concentration of talent that no other show ever had.
    It was simply impossible to replace such a team. The replacements surely were all talented guys, I don't doubt it, but it was simply impossible to replace the amount of talent the show had during its first 8-9 seasons.

Add to that the fact that it's not the same to come to a show that is on its fourth season compared to a show that it's on its tenth.
    Even if all the original team would gather today it would be almost impossible to replicate the same success.

Wallace Wolodarsky is also notable as he's written several major films.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Scully View Post
    Wallace Wolodarsky is also notable as he's written several major films.
    I was considering putting him here, but his work post-Simpsons hasn't been quite successful or known.

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    I was considering putting him here, but his work post-Simpsons hasn't been quite successful or known.
    He's at least notable. Quite a few notable credits to his name.

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    He's at least notable. Quite a few notable credits to his name.
    True, but I don't think most people hold "Monsters vs Aliens" or "Sorority Boys" in such high regard. But I'll add him.

Blog Entries

True, but I don't think most people hold "Monsters vs Aliens" or "Sorority Boys" in such high regard. But I'll add him.
    But he does have that Trolls movie and a Diary of A Wimpy Kid movie, both of which I'm pretty sure are/were big movies. I think it's a safe choice to add him.

Shouldn't technically Matt Groening be on the list since he went on to create Futurama? I mean, you all know that he wouldn't have gotten that show of the ground if it wasn't for his Simpsons fame.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    Shouldn't technically Matt Groening be on the list since he went on to create Futurama? I mean, you all know that he wouldn't have gotten that show of the ground if it wasn't for his Simpsons fame.
    Alumni though. He never really officially left the show.

Oh right.

Blog Entries

6. David X Cohen (writer); showrunner/writer – Futurama, producer/writer – Disenchantment
    Hang on, Cohan never left the show (He wrote Podcast News), so shouldn't he be mentioned in the 2nd paragraph along with Scully and Reiss, or is his writing credit a cameo?
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts.

Quote the post above you, it gives me an enormous sense of a slow computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    Hang on, Cohan never left the show (He wrote Podcast News), so shouldn't he be mentioned in the 2nd paragraph along with Scully and Reiss, or is his writing credit a cameo?
    Dude, he was away for 22 years. I think I it’s safe to say he’s an alumni.

Blog Entries

So, that's basically a cameo. That's all right with me.

Thread Information