Thread: Will John Swartzwelder’s episode count be broken?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Will John Swartzwelder’s episode count be broken?

Considering that writers don’t leave the show anymore, and there’s no end in sight, it seems like it’s a big possibility, at least for Selman, Long, Frink, and Omine.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Maybe, but Swartzwelder will always be known as a guy that had amazing comedy, and a good reputation

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Blog Entries

Most likely Selman may break it, but there's no denying that he was one of the greatest.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts.

Quote the post above you, it gives me an enormous sense of a slow computer.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Selman only has 28 episodes, and didn't write one last season. Unless this show goes on for another 2 decades, it won't be him. John Frink has 35 confirmed episodes, and continues writing, so maybe him. It probably won't be beaten by anyone though.

I don't think Selman will break the record. He seem to be taking on more showrunning duties at the expense of script-writing (which is fine by me). John Frink and Joel H. Cohen are the most likely candidates.
    SEASON 32 GRADES

Undercover Burns - ?/5 / I, Carumbus - ?/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    I don't think Selman will break the record. He seem to be taking on more showrunning duties at the expense of script-writing (which is fine by me). John Frink and Joel H. Cohen are the most likely candidates.
    But they only write two or so episodes a year, how much longer do we think this show will go on? Swartzwelder wrote more episodes season to season than anyone on the current staff. It's highly unlikely that anyone will beat him.

Maybe someday someone will beat him. But it wouldn't mean much since quality is much more important than quantity and Swartzwelder run until The Cartridge Family included is impeccable.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    Swartzwelder run until The Cartridge Family included is impeccable.
    I think most fans consider "King of the Hill," "Wizard of Evergreen Terrace," "Hungry Hungry Homer," and "I am Furious (Yellow)" to be solid post-classic Swartzwelder episodes.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Forgot about Joel H. Cohen. Nice catch

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    I think most fans consider "King of the Hill," "Wizard of Evergreen Terrace," "Hungry Hungry Homer," and "I am Furious (Yellow)" to be solid post-classic Swartzwelder episodes.
    Yes, they are good but The Cartridge Family was his last excelent episode and it also marks the end of his until then impeccable catalog.
    He would become much more hit and miss after that even if he still wrote some good episodes.

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm hoping at this point Swartzwelder doesn't return. Sure not all of his episodes are hits, but he never made one which was rage-inducingly bad. Ian-Maxtome Graham and Dan Greaney both stayed on for too long and started writing really terrible episodes eventually.

(I misunderstood the thread title. Thought it was about whether he will ever write another episode or not.)
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 09-13-2020 at 01:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    Forgot about Joel H. Cohen. Nice catch
    Yeah, since Jean seems to act as if Joel H. Cohen is currently their top writer on staff, i.e. their new Swartzwelder. Why else would they have Cohen write many of the past "Treehouse of Horror" specials? But of course they seem unaware that Cohen's writing is nowhere as good as Swartzwelder...

Blog Entries

...With failures like "Better Off Ned", "Clown in the Dumps" and "Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles". But he has made some gems in the past, like The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds and The Debarted.

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are far more bad than there are good Joel H. Cohen episodes. Most of his good ones are near the beginning.

I have no idea why Jean loves him so much either, but then again I don't take his judgment in quality very seriously.

Better question is, will Mark Kirkland's episodes directed count be broken?

Blog Entries

As long as he's directing more episodes, then no, I don't think Kirkland's directed count will be broken.

Blog Entries

Don't think Kirkland is doing anymore. Steven Dean Moore might beat him.

Thread Information